Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Slowpoke! posted:

I didn’t get a chance to screenshot it, but someone is running an ad on the forums that is just a Z. Not a good look!

Would you prefer a not-z?
Because that was the ad I clicked to get to this thread.
E: sorry didn't see the warning

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

TheRat posted:

I can't believe they thought hotel under fake name would be enough.

The thing that astonishes me the most is that they are still trying to pacify Putin's regime by complying with his requests.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Antillie posted:

Considering that Polish airspace is currently being patrolled by NATO/US F-35s, yes they have very good AA.

Not only that, but multiple patriot batteries are now in Poland, and patriots are the most capable (and expensive) Integrated surface-to-air missile system on Earth.

I will give the military industrial complex of the United States—most of the time they build very reliably lethal weapon systems for the United States and NATO.

Edit

The so far incredibly lovely Russian Air Force would suddenly find itself flying against well trained and experienced NATO pilots flying superior aircraft to the Russians in numbers that could dwarf what Russia could mobilize in the air (assuming Russia could manage an air mission consisting of more than 4 aircraft) over territory covered by the best integrated AA radar and SAM systems in existence if they wanted to attack convoys in Poland.

Then of course, once the first Russian was shot down over a NATO country, Article 5 would trigger…

So if that’s a threat to attack supply convoys in Poland it is 1000% bluster.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 12, 2022

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
edit- nm gently caress em

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

KitConstantine posted:

Though for all these chats seem to accomplish they may as well be a circle-jerk

Do we know if they've achieved a single thing? I guess their was the "humanitarian channels" to exit, while the Russians did obviously just use them as an additional way to kill and harass civilians, I believe some people did mange to get out through them.

Seems pretty clear until Putin decides to end it they will mostly be talking poo poo, but as no one knows when that will be just need to keep up appearances.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Do we know if they've achieved a single thing? I guess their was the "humanitarian channels" to exit, while the Russians did obviously just use them as an additional way to kill and harass civilians, I believe some people did mange to get out through them.

Seems pretty clear until Putin decides to end it they will mostly be talking poo poo, but as no one knows when that will be just need to keep up appearances.
I'm not sure if these conversations are what resulted in the corridors. It seems like they came from direct negotiations between Russia/Ukraine and also as part of Russia's standard operational procedure. Having the conversations removes the Kremlin talking point of "the west is just ignoring us!!!" I suppose?

In other news Zelensky put a number on Ukrainian military causalties for the first time - 1300. Not sure if that's dead or dead/wounded. Telegram post linked in below tweet
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1502653475741650954?s=20&t=GNPJgSTHr5B58KKiJkTgIQ

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Had a call with my in-laws from Russia. It's really sad. my father in law has explained how the US can't have biological weapon factories on their territories that's why they built them in Ukraine.

Oh god. They clearly have no idea how the US works. If the federal government wants to build something naughty there are literally thousands of square miles of land, in the middle of nowhere, already closed to the public, that they can do it on without anyone knowing about it.

We have droves of idiot rednecks cooking up meth in trailer homes. Its not hard to hide things here if you have half a brain. Hell you could just add a bio weapon wing to any of the many nuclear weapon research facilities and nobody would even notice.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Protests in Melitopol over the kidnapping of their mayor yesterday - they marched to the Administration building which the Russians have taken over.

The Russian army broke up protests with smoke bombs and kidnapped one of the activists.
https://twitter.com/TWMCLtd/status/1502662787905961985?s=20&t=T8GUhlnjsAxPJ4caw7LKsg
There are also reports that the mayor is being tortured, which fits with past Russian kidnappings of protestors/activists in Donbass (multiple articles available via a quick google, but they're all unpleasant reading so I won't link them here)

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Though for all these chats seem to accomplish they may as well be a circle-jerk

"It was agreed not to disclose any further content of the conversation"
Is this standard procedure? Or could this be a sign that there are actually meaningful and sensitive negotiations ongoing, with specific demands and concessions being discussed? I did read somewhere that Zelensky was urging the west to take a more active role in these talks ...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KitConstantine posted:

Putin, Macron, and Scholz had another three-way...conversation today
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1502658812897112064?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA

Weird how everyone Russia is bombing ends up operating out of hospitals :thunk:

Grape posted:

Hell I was 14 (and American!) and completely unconvinced lol. I'll never forget the sensation of absolute randomness to the Bush admin just suddenly going "HEY, IRAQ!!!!" at the public. Like Afghanistan may have been foolhardy but it made a kind of logical sense, Iraq was just lmao.
Yeah same. It was pretty transparent and criminal. At least Saddam was legit bad and Iraq isn't the 52nd state of the US now.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 12, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

iv46vi posted:

Eh, the Americans weren’t convincing anybody either.

Hell I was 14 (and American!) and completely unconvinced lol. I'll never forget the sensation of absolute randomness to the Bush admin just suddenly going "HEY, IRAQ!!!!" at the public. Like Afghanistan may have been foolhardy but it made a kind of logical sense, Iraq was just lmao.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Has there been any armed resistance in the captured cities? I've seen protests but no Iraq style attacks on soldiers.

If that mayor dies, will Russian soldiers start getting picked off?

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Being able to throw a tactical shovel underhanded is a poor replacement for armour & air support. :ohdear:

Such wastage of humanity is bad for the soul no matter the side.

:utruck:

Not to mention you never send in light infantry to deal with mechanized infantry. the VDV just doesn't have the equipment for it unsupported.

This just further reinforces the notion that this is a mostly politically planned operation.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Not sure if this was posted but the house arrest of the head and deputy head of the FSB was confirmed by multiple sources inside Russia
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1502562921959903233?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA
Link to the story: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ox=1647065591-1

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Antillie posted:

Oh god. They clearly have no idea how the US works. If the federal government wants to build something naughty there are literally thousands of square miles of land, in the middle of nowhere, already closed to the public, that they can do it on without anyone knowing about it.

We have droves of idiot rednecks cooking up meth in trailer homes. Its not hard to hide things here if you have half a brain. Hell you could just add a bio weapon wing to any of the many nuclear weapon research facilities and nobody would even notice.

we have actual military-run biolabs that are on the books, including USAMRIID in maryland. they aren't naughty, there's not much difference between breeding dangerous pathogens for defensive purposes and offensive purposes

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I feel as if Russia is trying to weaponize gaslighting to such a degree, that anyone opposing them will drop dead from the increased blood pressure and anger about reading such vile bullshit.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Tomn posted:

Yeah, like I said it's not an excuse for American imperialism but there is at least a fig leaf of a justification, a sense that some justification IS necessary - which can at least theoretically allow for social pushback on such adventurism and provide some degree of a brake, even if not much of one sometimes. What worries me is average people on the street who don't think justification is necessary to begin with, that it can and should be OK to go full mask-off from the word go. If that spreads much then you've got no brakes at all except whether the leadership thinks they can pull it off or not, which as we're seeing can go horribly, disastrously wrong for everyone involved. Though that being said...

To be fair the US didn't annex Iraq or turn it into a satellite/puppet state. The general Iraqi population was genuinely happy to see Saddam gone. That's not to say that what we did was moral or right. It wasn't. But it wasn't outright evil either, at least, not totally.

Legally the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was a continuation of the UN authorized military action that kicked of the first Gulf War. So the US does generally follow international law, even if it does tend to find and massively exploit loopholes in totally shity ways using bullshit justification.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 12, 2022

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

KitConstantine posted:

Not sure if this was posted but the house arrest of the head and deputy head of the FSB was confirmed by multiple sources inside Russia
https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1502562921959903233?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA

I feel like Putin is playing with fire here. He has more to fear from the FSB than he does the oligarchs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

PerilPastry posted:

"It was agreed not to disclose any further content of the conversation"
Is this standard procedure? Or could this be a sign that there are actually meaningful and sensitive negotiations ongoing, with specific demands and concessions being discussed? I did read somewhere that Zelensky was urging the west to take a more active role in these talks ...

"The rest of the conversation consisted of Putin spouting meaningless gibberish" is not considered polite diplomacy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

mmkay posted:

I feel as if Russia is trying to weaponize gaslighting to such a degree, that anyone opposing them will drop dead from the increased blood pressure and anger about reading such vile bullshit.

I mean, only if you're not wise enough to read the extreme desperation of failed authoritarianism into it.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is some baffling amateur hour, to think that they’d just register under assumed name in a hotel and see through it.
I mean this is true, but they're a tech company. They're not equipped to go up against the secret police of any half-competent country. I have a feeling this is going to become the go-to example if anyone is still arguing that "tech companies are more powerful than governments!!"

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 12, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Looks like the locals had to go save some Ukrainian equipment too lmao

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1502653114905677825

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ZombieLenin posted:

I feel like Putin is playing with fire here. He has more to fear from the FSB than he does the oligarchs.

That's why he's locking them down.

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

ZombieLenin posted:

That's probably why he's arresting them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

TheRat posted:

Looks like the locals had to go save some Ukrainian equipment too lmao

https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1502653114905677825

Forget General Winter, Colonel Mud's the one you've gotta worry about

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Article from local Ukrainian reporter who's been embedded with Ukrainian troops in Kyiv about the suspected Russian push for the city in the next couple of days. He's a pro-follow for on the ground info imo, though obviously biased.
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1502620526820446213?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA
Article link: https://kyivindependent.com/national/russia-concentrates-military-power-for-kyiv-assault/
Summary: Russians haven't made much progress from the east in the last few days and have dispersed much of the convoy into the surrounding area. The Russian approach from the west is running into issues as the terrain facilitates ambush tactics, and have experienced massive losses as a result. Logistics are also an ongoing issue. Not much is said about how Ukraine is preparing for the assault, but that's not surprising. Russia seems to still be extremely focused on taking Kyiv, possibly to the detriment of other operations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ynglaur posted:

That's why he's locking them down.

Wait, what? I missed this!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Antillie posted:

To be fair the US didn't annex Iraq or turn it into a satellite/puppet state. The general Iraqi population was genuinely happy to see Saddam gone. That's not to say that what we did was moral or right. It wasn't. But it wasn't outright evil either, at least, not totally.

Legally the invasion of Iraq in 2003 was a continuation of the UN authorized military action that kicked of the first Gulf War. So the US does generally follow international law, even if it does tend to find and massively exploit loopholes in totally shity ways using bullshit justification.
The invasion was justified by a 2002 resolution, which Bush and pals just decided meant they got to declare war on Iraq. It was not legally in the clear. And then they caused the death of a million people and plunged the region into chaos because they wanted to go to war.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

Summary: Russians haven't made much progress from the east in the last few days and have dispersed much of the convoy into the surrounding area. The Russian approach from the west is running into issues as the terrain facilitates ambush tactics, and have experienced massive losses as a result. Logistics are also an ongoing issue. Not much is said about how Ukraine is preparing for the assault, but that's not surprising. Russia seems to still be extremely focused on taking Kyiv, possibly to the detriment of other operations.

- Hello, this is President Putin, am I speaking to the chief of the 41st Combined Arms Army?
- Yes, Mr. President
- Why haven't you taken Kiev yet?

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Grape posted:

Iraq made perfect sense if you understood the influence and objectives of the neo-cons and their whole New American Century bullshit.

I was on the phone with an old Marine buddy watching the towers fall on the news and my first comment was that "well Sadam is done" those idiots had been trying to find an excuse to do that from the minute SCOTUS handed W the Presidency and did not care one bit that Al Qeda hated Sadam as much as they hated us.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russian TV update: Propaganda channels back away from reality, resume insane nationalism! The video includes translations.
https://twitter.com/TsybulskaLiubov/status/1502669313567866881?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA
"And they will understand that we may not stop [at the Ukrainian borders], if they won't capitulate to our conditions"
:tif:

Longish thread with background on Russian propaganda TV and how it typically operates with special focus on how rhetorical shifts are used to keep the audience engaged. Allowing a little reality to seep in keeps the audience from completely tuning out the propaganda as bullshit, but the bullshit inevitably re-asserts itself, as demonstrated above.
https://twitter.com/MaximAlyukov/status/1502651700645085190?s=20&t=I3T-TX404xqVQsBowSBbSA

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

The so far incredibly lovely Russian Air Force would suddenly find itself flying against well trained and experienced NATO pilots flying superior aircraft to the Russians in numbers that could dwarf what Russia could mobilize in the air (assuming Russia could manage an air mission consisting of more than 4 aircraft) over territory covered by the best integrated AA radar and SAM systems in existence if they wanted to attack convoys in Poland.

Then of course, once the first Russian was shot down over a NATO country, Article 5 would trigger…

So if that’s a threat to attack supply convoys in Poland it is 1000% bluster.

And Stoltenberg is on record that any attack on NATO territory is an an attack on NATO while at the same time acknowledging that supply lines on Ukrainian soil are basically fair game. And we haven't seen any reports of Russia even managing that, right?
https://twitter.com/exileddub/status/1502626281040629761?s=20&t=5Tq9TojCsBYdwaP6zR-OXw

see no weevil
Oct 31, 2019

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1502227866540515328
Context as to who the hell the guy is.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You know it is kind of funny that even the United States doesn't blame their occupation governments for the issues that occured. Et Afghanistan iraw etc.
None of the generals or any of their staff were ever persecuted for being complete s*** at their job. So interesting that Russia does this, I know it's out of fascism and not the spirit of civilian oversight. But it just shows our exceptionalism has overwhelmed our ability to critically judge ourselves here on the US.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You know it is kind of funny that even the United States doesn't blame their occupation governments for the issues that occured. Et Afghanistan iraw etc.
None of the generals or any of their staff were ever persecuted for being complete s*** at their job. So interesting that Russia does this, I know it's out of fascism and not the spirit of civilian oversight. But it just shows our exceptionalism has overwhelmed our ability to critically judge ourselves here on the US.

Was generalship really the issue with any US occupation? Seems to me it was more that the political objectives were never possible.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

punishedkissinger posted:

Was generalship really the issue with any US occupation? Seems to me it was more that the political objectives were never possible.

Without getting too much into it, we just never saw public trials of the occupation forces. Especially general etc, I don't want to spend too much time comparing the US military to the Russian military. Its always positive positive positive regardless of the result.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Time for a boat update! Summary: little to no movement whatsoever.
Source - ex-Belgian Naval officer has been running a Russia watch blog since 2018 - https://russianfleetanalysis.blogspot.com

quote:

March 11

Tapir class landing vessel Orsk and an unidentified Ropucha class landing vessel most likely headed back towards Sevastopol during the afternoon.

Hydrographic vessel Donuzlav continues to operate in the northwestern part of the Black Sea. The vessel provides weather information for the Black Sea Fleet.

Conclusion
With regards to the amphibious situation, several vessels are heading back to port, most likely for resupply and small rest for the crews. The Russian Navy keeps monitoring the weather, most likely to identify possible windows of opportunity when an amphibious assault could take place. Good weather conditions is one of several requirements needed for a successful landing.

So not a lot going on there. Theoretically the weather this past week was supposed to be favorable for a landing, but the Russian navy has been content firing the odd cruise missile inland so far. Looks like they are mostly serving as a decoy to keep Ukrainian forces posted in Odesa to repel any potential assault.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Plenty of US generals were poo poo at their jobs, but that didn't result in the US losses in Iraq and Afghanistan. Here, I'll prove it with one simple question:

What was the designed political and/or economic outcome of the US invasion of Iraq?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think even that is arguable. Some form of Iraqi civil war with an element of 'thanks for getting rid of saddam but go home now we aren't interested in Liberal democracy' was probably inevitable, but things probably go very differently with even as minor policy changes as 'keep paying the Iraqi army salaries'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

It's easy to always blame the political leadership, but the military leadership doesn't really get to claim they don't have input on achievable political goals. i think they are generally the best in the world at figuring out the best way to achieve results against lesser militaries while experiencing next to no losses, but they have also been guilty of painting pretty rosy pictures/projections on the ground that have distorted decision making