Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Are we talking about the fight on top of Ashina Castle? Because that fight was 90% parry-string, I kinda want more than that out of a fight.

...well, I say that, but right now I'm going up against the Guardian Ape, who is more than just parrying and I hate it even more. In retrospect I think Lady Butterfly is the best fight so far, but even she wasn't actually fun in the moment. The minibosses are mostly fun because I can lean into the stealth element and devise an interesting and influential strategy rather than just a straight fight, and the actual bosses don't have that.

Stealth is boring as gently caress in Sekiro. Deflects are the heart and soul of Sekiro so I have no idea how you’re enjoying the game if you don’t like deflects. Genichiro is the first boss to actually test if you know what you’re doing with a major challenge and he has tons of small openings and tricks to pressure him besides just trying to mash deflect. Guardian Ape also rules and has a lot of ways to just erase his health bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RevolverDivider posted:

Stealth is boring as gently caress in Sekiro. Deflects are the heart and soul of Sekiro so I have no idea how you’re enjoying the game if you don’t like deflects. Genichiro is the first boss to actually test if you know what you’re doing with a major challenge and he has tons of small openings and tricks to pressure him besides just trying to mash deflect. Guardian Ape also rules and has a lot of ways to just erase his health bar

I knew what to do against Genichiro, I blitzed through him no problem the second time I reached the second form (or is it the third form, does the second health bar count). I just didn't really find the frenzied amount of parrying and brief openings fun. What I did find fun was fighting that one Long-Armed Centipede by constantly jumping up and down from the rafters in ambushes or bounding across treetops to sneak up behind Snake-Eyes Shirahagi. I don't know ways to erase Guardian Ape's health bar outside of Divine Confetti, and I'm out of that, so right now that's no fun.

Don't know what to tell you, I find Sekiro's stealth more fun than Sekiro's approach to 'pure combat'. A flurry of normal swings is less interesting to me than singular special attacks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Are we talking about the fight on top of Ashina Castle? Because that fight was 90% parry-string, I kinda want more than that out of a fight

uhh Sekiro might not be the game for you lmao
it’s not an RPG, it’s a rhythm game with swords (and it loving owns)

Augus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 12, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mordiceius posted:

That's not how Souls-likes work.

Code Vein had a Minimap and DS2 let you extinct enemies eventually

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jack sides with everyone who wants to kill chaos, and doesn't care to listen to people talk about non-chaos things

I don't know that's toxic, unless you make assumptions based on appearance

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

jokes posted:

Is anyone not looking forward to Strangers In Paradise? I feel like Stranger to Paradise has such incredibly broad appeal only absurd people don't think it's going to be loving fantastic.
I honestly haven't been paying much attention. I don't have a PS5 and I'm not planning to get one until I can just walk into a store, pay MSRP, and walk out with a PS5 without having to BS around with bots and Discord notifications and bundles that cost like $200 more and come with some games I don't want. And :lol: if you think I'd touch Epic's launcher with a 40-foot pole. I'll care about it when I can play it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Commander Keene posted:

I honestly haven't been paying much attention. I don't have a PS5 and I'm not planning to get one until I can just walk into a store, pay MSRP, and walk out with a PS5 without having to BS around with bots and Discord notifications and bundles that cost like $200 more and come with some games I don't want. And :lol: if you think I'd touch Epic's launcher with a 40-foot pole. I'll care about it when I can play it.

Good thing the PC version will be DRM free. :eng101:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope the PC release will have a day 1 mod that changes Sinatra's My Way to Limp Bizkit's My Way

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Augus posted:

uhh Sekiro might not be the game for you lmao
it’s not an RPG, it’s a rhythm game with swords (and it loving owns)

Yeah, apparently I'm good at rhythm games, but like, begrudgingly. because I nailed some of this stuff (my successful run against Genichiro was tragically quick, and there was at least one miniboss I no-damaged my first time meeting them), but I enjoy that far less than I enjoy being Sengoku Snake.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sekiro isn't a stealth game. The stealth elements are really half-baked, the game isn't Tenchu.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

, the game isn't Tenchu.

Sadly I wanted Tenchu because I'm the fuckup that likes Tenchu Z and 4 so Sekiro did nothing for me

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
If being Tenchu is what it would've taken for people to respect that Sekiro is a bomb-rear end stealth game, I'm calling it Tenchuu from now on.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ImpAtom posted:

Jack is an rear end in a top hat but I'm not particularly sure he's a toxic rear end in a top hat considering that his stated goal is "kill the source of ultimate evil" and he clearly loves giving fistbumps Like for all that he's an rear end in a top hat, he seems to be an rear end in a top hat primarily towards monsters that are trying to kill people. To everyone else he's at worst a bit brusque.

LIke the absolute worst thing he's done to a non-monster was telling Neon her plan was bullshit and that was after she turned into a blue-armored monster that tried to kill them, and even then she's in the party like by the end of the following cutscene.

I dunno if he's an rear end in a top hat, so much as he's single-minded: there are things that help him KILL CHAOS and there is everything else. He has time for the former and no interest in the latter. He's so shallow in his purpose, he winds up warping back around to intriguing.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

jokes posted:

Is anyone not looking forward to Strangers In Paradise? I feel like Stranger to Paradise has such incredibly broad appeal only absurd people don't think it's going to be loving fantastic.

I was until I realized you can't play as a pure caster.

No, I didn't get a chance to play the previous demos.

I'll probably just watch a Let's Play.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

RevolverDivider posted:

What the gently caress the bosses are by far the high point of Sekiro. The first real fight with Genichiro was when the game really started to stand out as an action game masterpiece

Also Nioh 2 was a better game then Elden Ring so I’m pretty hype for strangers

Nah, Nioh's storytelling and godawful loot system drag it down below anything From has put out. It's still fun though, as will be SoP

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I suppose if you are pro-Chaos and think that the source of ultimate evil is just really misunderstood then Jack would be toxic.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cleretic posted:

If being Tenchu is what it would've taken for people to respect that Sekiro is a bomb-rear end stealth game, I'm calling it Tenchuu from now on.

Why do you hate fun

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
You can not play through Sekiro as pure stealth, you can maybe pick off like 2 dudes before a major fracas starts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ither posted:

I was until I realized you can't play as a pure caster.

No, I didn't get a chance to play the previous demos.

I'll probably just watch a Let's Play.

You can go pure caster. You do need to use Soul Shield to refill mana but that is easier at a distance.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Nah, Nioh's storytelling and godawful loot system drag it down below anything From has put out. It's still fun though, as will be SoP

Bullshit.

*turns on the rap-metal*

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
unless the My Way trailer is literally all the story SoP has, it will likely have more story than Nioh

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I still have to give respect for--upon realizing that everyone already guessed the plot twist from the first demo--just rolled with it and refused to act like it was a secret anymore. It takes balls to just give up on your big final act reveal.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah from the demo the loot system seems like a pain in the rear end (I didn't play Nioh but a similar loot system in AC Odyssey was extremely lovely) and having to assign every special move to every input yourself seems unnecessarily complicated, but I wonder if that means you're more supposed to focus on a couple jobs than try to max out everything?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I seriously can't believe they left the Bullshit+nu-metal scene in the final version of the game. That takes extreme balls. I love this stupid game so much.

It's really hard though!

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Lastdancer posted:

I really want to like Stranger of Paradise but I feel like all of the mechanics and systems are too overwhelming for me now :( does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Depends on your experience with games similar to Dark Souls. There's going to be A LOT to unpack in terms of gameplay and mechanics, especially when you add the Job system into it. Get a feel for what each job does - some are good at dealing with multiple enemies at once (Swordsman with its wide swings and Mage with its ability to charge up AoE spells from a distance), some are great at concentrated single-target damage (Pugilist and Duelist), some have unique niches (Lancer lets you use all three weapon damage types - Slash, Strike and Pierce - at once). Mix and match depending on the environment and encounters.

As far as combat goes you need to get into a mindset where evading and watching enemy movements are as important as doing damage. Focus on how to move and dodge and get in close to attack, and when to step back to anticipate the enemy's attacks. Single out enemies when you can. Try to combo into MP skills for extra damage. Concentrated damage lets you empty an enemy's Break Gauge so you can finish it off early with a tasty Soul Break. Blocking is always a good idea, especially if you get surrounded; once you're comfortable with that and learn an enemy's attacks, you can anticipate when to use Soul Shield for the parry. There's no stamina gauge for attacking and dodging, so you can do that as much as you want.

All that gear you get can be overwhelming. Focus on equipping Jack first since he's the player character and if he goes down it's back to the last save point. Higher level/rarity gear often has nice effects that play well with certain jobs, so choose your job loadout first, then equip yourself around that. If you have any gear left over you can outfit your partner characters, again taking note of which jobs they are.

Remember you can change difficulty at any time at a save point, so you can start out on Story mode to familiarize yourself with everything, then, if you're comfortable, bump it up to Action.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wonder if you’ll be able to fast switch between jobs in the middle of combat like in the shadowbringers trailer

Or, I guess, genshin impact

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Leal posted:

I hope the PC release will have a day 1 mod that changes Sinatra's My Way to Limp Bizkit's My Way

Christmas Special mod where Jack has to find Santa and blast Mariah Carey's All I Want For Christmas Is You.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

jokes posted:

Wonder if you’ll be able to fast switch between jobs in the middle of combat like in the shadowbringers trailer

You can switch between two, and it lets you attack faster by cancelling animations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

jokes posted:

You can between the two you have equipped, yes. Not more than two though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Twelve by Pies posted:

I suppose if you are pro-Chaos and think that the source of ultimate evil is just really misunderstood then Jack would be toxic.

He's not even an rear end in a top hat. Dude's just focused on his goal and has 100% Conviction. He cares about people and his friends and is generally pretty nice to people when he's...you know...not actively trying to kill The Devil.

It's really weird to just write off both a character and a game because of pure projection you got from ignoring half the trailers for the game.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

jokes posted:

Have you played the demo? There's literally a tutorial for this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Have you played the demo? There's literally a tutorial for this.

No because I do not have a play station.

Which is frustrating my final fantasy vibe

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Grimthwacker posted:

Depends on your experience with games similar to Dark Souls. There's going to be A LOT to unpack in terms of gameplay and mechanics, especially when you add the Job system into it. Get a feel for what each job does - some are good at dealing with multiple enemies at once (Swordsman with its wide swings and Mage with its ability to charge up AoE spells from a distance), some are great at concentrated single-target damage (Pugilist and Duelist), some have unique niches (Lancer lets you use all three weapon damage types - Slash, Strike and Pierce - at once). Mix and match depending on the environment and encounters.

As far as combat goes you need to get into a mindset where evading and watching enemy movements are as important as doing damage. Focus on how to move and dodge and get in close to attack, and when to step back to anticipate the enemy's attacks. Single out enemies when you can. Try to combo into MP skills for extra damage. Concentrated damage lets you empty an enemy's Break Gauge so you can finish it off early with a tasty Soul Break. Blocking is always a good idea, especially if you get surrounded; once you're comfortable with that and learn an enemy's attacks, you can anticipate when to use Soul Shield for the parry. There's no stamina gauge for attacking and dodging, so you can do that as much as you want.

All that gear you get can be overwhelming. Focus on equipping Jack first since he's the player character and if he goes down it's back to the last save point. Higher level/rarity gear often has nice effects that play well with certain jobs, so choose your job loadout first, then equip yourself around that. If you have any gear left over you can outfit your partner characters, again taking note of which jobs they are.

Remember you can change difficulty at any time at a save point, so you can start out on Story mode to familiarize yourself with everything, then, if you're comfortable, bump it up to Action.

Thank you for the guidance! I think the combo of loot system + job system was the biggest factor in feeling overwhelmed but this helped me get a better feel for the demo.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The loot system doesn't bother me. I pick everything up and auto optimize.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

jokes posted:

Why do you hate fun

I don't, I find picking through a crowd and systematically weakening the enemy fun. It's like a puzzle game, but with murder. And apparently I like that more than a rhythm game but with murder.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

You can not play through Sekiro as pure stealth, you can maybe pick off like 2 dudes before a major fracas starts

Not the way I play, I can stealth kill a whole room AND half a boss most of the time.

Which yeah, I know isn't 'pure stealth', and frankly, I hate the point I'm in where I'm stuck between a boss and a miniboss that are both effectively immune to sneakiness (Guardian Ape, and a Headless in a valley full of ghosts/illusions). But I enjoy when they let me, and I happen to be pretty diligent at it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

He's not even an rear end in a top hat. Dude's just focused on his goal and has 100% Conviction. He cares about people and his friends and is generally pretty nice to people when he's...you know...not actively trying to kill The Devil.

He's trying to kill Math, which is even funnier

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Lastdancer posted:

Thank you for the guidance! I think the combo of loot system + job system was the biggest factor in feeling overwhelmed but this helped me get a better feel for the demo.

Always happy to help a fellow Chaos killer.

Chaos Advent was kind of a pain in the rear end; I spent the first phase of the fight poking him with punches and parrying and the second half mostly pelting him with the appropriate magic but his tendency to bust out multiple attacks in the span of a second didn't help. So far I seem to be steamrolling through the Pravoka Seagrot. I imagine I'll be changing my tune with Bikke.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Finished the demo for killing chaos. The game is great and I love how different each weapon feels. I'm excited to beeline straight for Dark Knight as a job and play nothing else for the entire game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/sopffo/status/1502600291652288513

Funky music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ImpAtom posted:

You can go pure caster. You do need to use Soul Shield to refill mana but that is easier at a distance.

Yeah after unlocking the Lancer's abilities to instantly execute enemies if you kill them with a thrown lance I realized there were more options for ranged than I thought.

The magic jobs must have something equivalent, seems like something the Sage might have