Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

From what Alva said I suspect that the soldiers on the expedition were chosen on a combination of unquestioned loyalty and bloodthirst. Not that those sort are very hard to find. I'm not sure but I think this is reinforced by the fact that Aloy never talks to any of the soldiers aside from one telling her the Ceo wants to meet her. No quests, no cutscenes. All the interactions is either the Ceo, the prophets or the navigators. They're just blindly loyal mad dogs.

Still, staying behind while literal lava is oozing through the walls is some dedication to the craft of being a henchman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Alhazred posted:

Still, staying behind while literal lava is oozing through the walls is some dedication to the craft of being a henchman.

Henchman turns to face camera, shrugs, says "It's a livin'", dies to lava

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Besides the greenshine is there any reward for completing all the sunken caverns? I dont need that much of it and they're not a lot of fun, but I'd do it for a cool weapon or something.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Deformed Church posted:

Besides the greenshine is there any reward for completing all the sunken caverns? I dont need that much of it and they're not a lot of fun, but I'd do it for a cool weapon or something.

It's literally just greenstone.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Speaking of greenshine, does anybody know how to get the one on top of this little tower? I did some random exploring yesterday and went to the rear end end of the map so this one is on the far southwest coast. Pretty cool that going south of this I ended up in a semi-surprise Tideripper fight on the beach (the compass kind of spoiled it) and then farther on there's the ship/base of the Zeniths. It looks like maybe I could swim across to it but I'm assuming there'd be some form of insta-death.

Edit: you have to actually upload the image file, Lobok...

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 12, 2022

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Lobok posted:

Speaking of greenshine, does anybody know how to get the one on top of this little tower? I did some random exploring yesterday and went to the rear end end of the map so this one is on the far southwest coast. Pretty cool that going south of this I ended up in a semi-surprise Tideripper fight on the beach (the compass kind of spoiled it) and then farther on there's the ship/base of the Zeniths. It looks like maybe I could swim across to it but I'm assuming there'd be some form of insta-death.

Edit: you have to actually upload the image file, Lobok...

Might need a flying mount?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is there any way to cancel/stop the stealth valor surge once you activate it?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Unfortunately no, you gotta use it up. I hope GG patches it so you can cancel valor surge by hitting R1+L1 again, since it's annoying when the machine is dead and you still have the VS overlay and sound buzzing on your DS5.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Doesnt fast travel cancel it? Thats what i do with powershots to replenish ammo that requires sludge. Havent done most sunkern caves for that reason, the really good weapons dont require it for upgrading. There are some greenshine in cool places only reachable by mount. Like near the top of golden gate bridge, and near hoover dam (just discovered yesterday that hoover dam is in this game). that area is also the best for tideripper farming as there are several.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Is there any good general advice for knowing when to spend greenshine on upgrades and when not to, if it's a finite resource? Like I haven't used it on the couple of blue tier weapons I've seen call for it, but I'm worried I'll end up in another jrpg scenario where I can't use any of the 999 mega elixirs I've stockpiled because what if I need one later.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
It’s finite but plentiful - the real “limiter” is probably slabs, but there’s enough you should be able to get a couple purples to max level and not feel a pinch. Basically, if it’s something you think you’ll get a lot of use out of, go for it, but if it’s an edge case thing level it up until it needs slabs, would be my gut feeling.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

effervescible posted:

Is there any good general advice for knowing when to spend greenshine on upgrades and when not to, if it's a finite resource? Like I haven't used it on the couple of blue tier weapons I've seen call for it, but I'm worried I'll end up in another jrpg scenario where I can't use any of the 999 mega elixirs I've stockpiled because what if I need one later.

Use it for weapons you want to keep and upgrade for awhile, at least for those rarer variants of greenshine. It is mostly purple tier weapons that require it. Blue ones to but they mostly require the more common greenshine. For the highest tier weapons (legendary) though it hardly uses greenshine for upgrades. But with the blues and purples i wanted to upgrade i ended up with a surplus of the most common greenshine variants (greenshine fragment, sliver and chunk), while greenshine slabs and clusters were a limiting resource for purple tier weapons. If you create a job the map will mark a location of a required greenshine variant though.

Btw does anyone know of a machine site that spawns more than one behemoth at a time?

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 12, 2022

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Falukorv posted:

Btw does anyone know of a machine site that spawns more than one behemoth at a time?
I ran into a Behemoth convoy wandering the deserts north of Vegas; not sure if it's randomly spawned or fixed, but I recall it having multiple Behemoths. Also IIRC the spawn along the far southwest coast of the mainland had two.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The super endgame legendary upgrades don't use Greenshine at all to my knowledge, so you don't have to be especially frugal with anything but the Slabs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord Hydronium posted:

I ran into a Behemoth convoy wandering the deserts north of Vegas; not sure if it's randomly spawned or fixed, but I recall it having multiple Behemoths. Also IIRC the spawn along the far southwest coast of the mainland had two.

As far as I can tell there’s only one behemoth site (in the jungle) and two random behemoth convoy spots in the desert. It’s kinda wack how fixed (and scarce) some of the machine spots are. Like there’s… 2 fire/frost claw spots. Dreadwings are only in 2-3 spots too and one of those is also a stormbird nest so…. No thanks. At least now I have the apex spawn / loop down. Only need a few more upgrades on this longbow and I can start figuring out a good coil farm routine or where I can just buy them.

I also still have to do strike! I’ve only done all the beginning opponents so far.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In addition to the arena, Thornmash, Scalding Spear and Hidden Ember all have some good purple weapon coils. Stealth, overdraw and long-range damage.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

As far as I can tell there’s only one behemoth site (in the jungle) and two random behemoth convoy spots in the desert. It’s kinda wack how fixed (and scarce) some of the machine spots are. Like there’s… 2 fire/frost claw spots. Dreadwings are only in 2-3 spots too and one of those is also a stormbird nest so…. No thanks. At least now I have the apex spawn / loop down. Only need a few more upgrades on this longbow and I can start figuring out a good coil farm routine or where I can just buy them.

I also still have to do strike! I’ve only done all the beginning opponents so far.
It might not have been marked, then, but I definitely ran into a couple Behemoths down there in the southwest, while wandering south along the coast following the road up into the hills. I don't know if those unmarked sites are fixed or random either.

There's also at least two unmarked Dreadwing sites I've seen, including the beach along the east shore of the lake in the southwest, (endgame spoilers) the beach you launch the final mission from.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Argh, I really thought I could make it through the game without lowering the difficulty. But the sidequest with Kotallo were two specters suddenly shows up and I had no healing items didn't give me much choice.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Thanks! Need 3 apex hearts and want to improve my odds. But yeah some machine sites are scarce. I miss from HZD a site with two thunder jaws or fireclaws, where I can override one and watch them battle it out.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Falukorv posted:

Thanks! Need 3 apex hearts and want to improve my odds. But yeah some machine sites are scarce. I miss from HZD a site with two thunder jaws or fireclaws, where I can override one and watch them battle it out.

I have found a reliable way to get an apex to show up is to visit the sit (no matter what time), spot the monster you want (behemoth in this case), then travel to a shelter, pass time until night, then go back to the same original site you spotted. This would get me an apex behemoth almost every time. Game seems to track recent kills because once I was hunting an apex or two almost every site I visited at night would have an Apex so I would pogo between thunder jaw, behemoths, and whatever else I would need.

Anyways, I got Forgefall maxed out and loaded with long range / stealth mods. If I get a drop on the robot and I land a weak spot braced shot, it simply dies. This owns. That said, crafting on the go is expensive as hell. What I’ve started to do is anytime I hit a shelter, I dump all my primary ammo to storage then craft in the workbench some more. This lets me build a little stockpile at a reduced cost so I’m not burning through the rare resources.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 12, 2022

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
This is a dumb question but is the arena fun? I’m debating whether I want to commit to doing it to get the armor.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Talorat posted:

This is a dumb question but is the arena fun? I’m debating whether I want to commit to doing it to get the armor.

The open ones are ok since you’re bringing your gear and most of the fights aren’t bullshit. The final arena in each tier is fixed gear and they range from miserable to what the gently caress.

(You can also lower the difficulty for them until they’re manageable)

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Falukorv posted:

There's a tremortusk site in the mountains with 2 of them where you can do this

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How does the damage from Braced Shot compare with the damage from Focused Shot (or whatever the other one is that lets you zoom in more)?

I'm also curious how the damage of the various "super strong single attack" skills compare, since they all use the same resource in Weapon Stamina. Like you have Braced Shot and the propelled Spike Thrower thing, or the super Shredder shot, or the big burst fire from the Bolt gun.

exquisite tea posted:

Unfortunately no, you gotta use it up. I hope GG patches it so you can cancel valor surge by hitting R1+L1 again, since it's annoying when the machine is dead and you still have the VS overlay and sound buzzing on your DS5.

I wish they could do this with Power Shots; I imagine they don't because of the "refills ammunition" aspect once its' fully upgraded.

Speaking of which, I've started to take advantage of that now that I have Advanced arrows for my Sharpshot bow (which unfortunately used one of the rare materials that I only have like 100-150 of).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 12, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Powershot is at least cancelable in the sense that you can shoot a stray arrow or two and have it go away. Some valor surges like Overshield you're stuck with until it's depleted.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Alhazred posted:

Argh, I really thought I could make it through the game without lowering the difficulty. But the sidequest with Kotallo were two specters suddenly shows up and I had no healing items didn't give me much choice.

I was in that exact position for that fight and died a couple times before finding that one of the crates in that room had a bunch of berries in it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I learned way too late that I can refill my medicine berries by holding down the up button and don't have to go all the way to a stash.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hobo Clown posted:

I learned way too late that I can refill my medicine berries by holding down the up button and don't have to go all the way to a stash.

:stare:

I chugged berries like an addict in very hard. That poo poo was very much needed.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It certainly is a game-changer when you find that feature. I think one of the quick tutorial boxes explains that but it's such a weird thing that it's hard to remember. The whole "I ran out time to craft on the fly" stuff was never my favorite. I get that it's like "reloading a gun" but there has to be a better way of doing ammo and other resources.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pretty sure the game actively told me how to refill berries from my inventory but it happened like 100 gameplay hours ago so I don't fully remember

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It pops up when you’re empty but it’s hard to notice because you’re only empty when you’re about to die

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If I had to do another run from scratch I'd definitely spend more time maxing out my potion pouch. I somehow made it through the entire game on Very Hard with a potion capacity of 3.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

If I had to do another run from scratch I'd definitely spend more time maxing out my potion pouch. I somehow made it through the entire game on Very Hard with a potion capacity of 3.

For NG+ I definitely plan to pay attention to food buffs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I had a Powershots Valor Surge left over from a fight that ended sooner than I expected but luckily there was a Rebel Outpost nearby that I hadn't done yet so I picked a good target out of the bunch and let 'em have it.

Can someone give me the rundown on using mounts? Overriding and setting to Defensive is just for using as an actual mount while Aggressive is for right then and there to fight?

I'm going to need to put more points in override machine strength because I set a fire Clawstrider against a Behemoth and it went down before barely scratching the Behemoth.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
I’m pretty sure you can cancel power shot with ammo refilled and all your surge intact by either (don’t remember which) activating it for your selected ammo then save and restart from save OR fast travel. Think it was the former, worked to refill all my sludge advance elementals.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

I had a Powershots Valor Surge left over from a fight that ended sooner than I expected but luckily there was a Rebel Outpost nearby that I hadn't done yet so I picked a good target out of the bunch and let 'em have it.

Can someone give me the rundown on using mounts? Overriding and setting to Defensive is just for using as an actual mount while Aggressive is for right then and there to fight?

I'm going to need to put more points in override machine strength because I set a fire Clawstrider against a Behemoth and it went down before barely scratching the Behemoth.

Clawstriders can do some pretty insane damage but they require a bit of an investment to come together fully. You'll want to go to Thornmarsh ASAP and buy the Tenakth Tactician outfit (or Tenakth Recon if you're on a budget), then max out +2 Machine Health, +2 Lasting Override and +2 (Elemental) Machine Damage, along with all the corresponding points in the Machine Master tree. The Elemental Clawstriders are the best for this since they double dip with both normal and elemental damage. I've seen mine almost singlehandedly take down a Slitherfang with his fireball attack. They can easily win a 2v1 versus any medium-sized machines, but against the elites it's better to mount up and get the 50% damage/damage reduction buff for yourself. Clawstriders aren't the best mounts but Aloy is hella tanky with 4/2 Mounted Defense.

IME if you want to use the Clawstrider to fight then you have to set him to aggressive, or else he'll use Mount AI in combat and barely attack anything. Oh and set mounts to auto-sprint in the gameplay settings, it definitely makes your life 100x easier.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Urgh I finally caved and went from hard to normal gently caress those slitherfang fights. Every single one is a miserable affair. The thing is super fast, has a mile wide Electro attack and basically udodgeable whip attacks. It is worse than shellsnappers.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

For NG+ I definitely plan to pay attention to food buffs.
Yeah, I didn't really do a lot with food. Looking forward to whenever they patch NG+ in; I've been getting all these fun legendary weapons in the post-game with not as many things to use them on. The one you get for completing Rebel camps is really something I could have used a lot earlier.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

Clawstriders can do some pretty insane damage but they require a bit of an investment to come together fully. You'll want to go to Thornmarsh ASAP and buy the Tenakth Tactician outfit (or Tenakth Recon if you're on a budget), then max out +2 Machine Health, +2 Lasting Override and +2 (Elemental) Machine Damage, along with all the corresponding points in the Machine Master tree. The Elemental Clawstriders are the best for this since they double dip with both normal and elemental damage. I've seen mine almost singlehandedly take down a Slitherfang with his fireball attack. They can easily win a 2v1 versus any medium-sized machines, but against the elites it's better to mount up and get the 50% damage/damage reduction buff for yourself. Clawstriders aren't the best mounts but Aloy is hella tanky with 4/2 Mounted Defense.

IME if you want to use the Clawstrider to fight then you have to set him to aggressive, or else he'll use Mount AI in combat and barely attack anything. Oh and set mounts to auto-sprint in the gameplay settings, it definitely makes your life 100x easier.

I've had the Tactician outfit on my shopping list for a while, ever since that guy's YT vid you posted. Need to get the parts to buy it.

And I did have auto-sprint turned on before I even started the game but turned it off after it got super finicky trying to use the mount to attack Rebels on foot. I'll probably turn it on again as I start using mounts more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
Enjoying game so far. I wanted another HZD plus some more and this is delivering what I wanted. Took a few day break from main quests to do side stuff and upgrade armor and what not. Now I'm accidentally Level 45 and still haven't gone west for Omega, oops. Headed that way tonight.

Arena can smooch my rear end and I don't know how people do it on anything harder than Normal.