Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah sorry maybe rolling through a stop sign is fine if there's nobody around but corssing on red when someone might have a protected left turn or cross traffic is dumb / suicidal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
(Prepares for a 2 page bicycle derail...)

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Got the popcorn warming up now. Watched a brodozer vs bicyclist encounter just yesterday, and the brodozer was (surprisingly) in the right. Too bad my dash cam glitched, or I would post it.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

My mom has been menrioning for a while that she wants a dashcam so I want to pick one up for her birthday. I was wondering if anybody has any advice on what to look for/avoid? She doesn't drive for work but has been traveling from Indiana to Wisconsin or Illinois once a month now to visit family. I noticed in Indiana the dashcam laws are no bigger than 4" square and must be installed on the passenger side. I'm not sure if she requires audio recording but I'm going to assume she does because of a few recent incidents. I might pick one up myself and I saw Illinois law is no bigger than 5" square. Any advice or telling me things I'm missing would be appreciated.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

limp_cheese posted:

My mom has been menrioning for a while that she wants a dashcam so I want to pick one up for her birthday. I was wondering if anybody has any advice on what to look for/avoid? She doesn't drive for work but has been traveling from Indiana to Wisconsin or Illinois once a month now to visit family. I noticed in Indiana the dashcam laws are no bigger than 4" square and must be installed on the passenger side. I'm not sure if she requires audio recording but I'm going to assume she does because of a few recent incidents. I might pick one up myself and I saw Illinois law is no bigger than 5" square. Any advice or telling me things I'm missing would be appreciated.

I've never heard of this dumb stuff being enforced, FWIW.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah based on the number of people i've seen with their phones stuck to the windshield directly in their line of sight I would never ever worry about dashcam size enforcement.

But that's besides the point just mount it behind the mirror on the passenger side so it's completely out of sight and you forget it's there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Dashcamtalk forums are usually where I recommend to look for recommendations, haven't checked it out lately to make sure it's still good, but generally people there are into keeping up with current products.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Garmin mini is a great product.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_-hvcw4Bx8

New Dash Cams Australia Crash compilation

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Garmin mini is a great product.

Yeah I've had one for about 9 months, very happy with it

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You Am I posted:

First crash (after the title card) is a great illustration of why ABS is so great.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

bird with big dick posted:

First crash (after the title card) is a great illustration of why ABS is so great.

Being able to steer and mat the brake is key for 99.9% of drivers. I learned defensive driving in a Caprice with the ABS hooked to a switch on the dash. It was an interesting test of your ability to threshold brake and then steer. These days, with stability control and all the sensors, the car can outbrake a human while handling steering inputs.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Oh come on it's not like there's some culture of being hostile towards bike riders for no reas

:lol: get rekt.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

You Am I posted:

Time Before First 'gently caress' is :55. Slow for this channel

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Time Before First 'gently caress' is :55. Slow for this channel

I think I hear one at 0:33. It's just not from the person recording the footage.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I can make up for the lack of fucks in that even if I have a boring midwest US accent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZvHN-ll6Hk
Somebody passed me in a ridiculous way today so I remembered to bring in the SD card and grab a few clips. First gen Insights are tailgating/stupid passing magnets, even when going well over the speed limit. Also bonus same-car spotting in the middle of nowhere VT.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It's snowing today which reminded me I had a few good snow and ice videos, so here's a three incident clip! The second one put me on edge at the time and holy poo poo it looked close on the video. The last one is really the little engine that could. I hope you can tell from the point of view from my cam, how it stays straight, moves smoothly, that I have good tires for these conditions, it was very slick out there but these guys had awful tires and skill, shouldn't have been out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U8VsfKzNoc

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jesus that second clip, what an rear end in a top hat

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Footage from this morning's car crash on the Sydney Harbour Bridge

https://twitter.com/HHackenbecker/status/1500624132316164099

hosed if I know what that SUV driver was up to

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

You Am I posted:

Clearly in a hurry to get to the scene of the accident.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

Footage from this morning's car crash on the Sydney Harbour Bridge

https://twitter.com/HHackenbecker/status/1500624132316164099

Looks like he was up to about 60 :rimshot:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

bird with big dick posted:

Jesus that second clip, what an rear end in a top hat

It's always nice to see someone get what they deserve without any injuries.
Side of their car is all scraped up to remind them of being a fuckwit.
But i give it like a 99% chance they tell their insurance company it was a hit and run (which i guess isn't a lie, per se...).

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a thread recommended dash cam with a backup cam? I've tried a few cheap ones and the ones I've tried can't read license plates because the camera quality is so poor.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Most aren't going to read plates well due to the fisheye lens, but the Viofo 129 is still pretty damned good, imo.

edit: why did I put Aukey? only took me a day to realize it.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 11, 2022

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Takes No Damage posted:

Oh come on it's not like there's some culture of being hostile towards bike riders for no reas

:lol: get rekt.

Pastis is specifically needling another cartoonist called Jeff Mallett when he makes bike rider jokes, but yeah it's grating.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a thread recommended dash cam with a backup cam? I've tried a few cheap ones and the ones I've tried can't read license plates because the camera quality is so poor.
License plates are really tricky, especially in the US where there's so much variety in colors, reflectivity, and font. Even static license plate recognition cameras set up next to a driveway require careful setup to get the best result, so one that has to be mounted in a limited set of locations in a moving vehicle is never going to be ideal. If you've ever seen a cop car with what look like a bunch of security cameras mounted to the trunk and hood that's what a professional in-motion setup needs to perform reliably.

I have a Viofo A129 Pro Duo, which is a pretty well regarded unit with a 4K front cam with a 1080p rear cam, and it varies from perfectly readable to absolutely useless sometimes moment by moment with the same plate. The video from the 4K camera is usually more readable when lighting cooperates, but each get washed out just as easily if light is hitting the plate just right and a fast moving vehicle can still be blurry. More often than not when I've picked random vehicles to try I've been able to get at least most of a plate from a series of frames, but that takes effort and luck.

That's one of the reasons I keep my audio turned on, if something happens and I was able to see the plate myself I'll say it aloud to make sure it's in the clip even if the camera didn't catch it.

the paradigm shift posted:

on the flip side these rules make no sense for bicycles
100% agreed, they don't make sense for bicycles, and if bicycles had entirely separated non-conflicting infrastructure they wouldn't need to follow those rules, but when you're sharing infrastructure sometimes that means you stop for less maneuverable traffic.

A good general rule I have for the road is if you do something that other road users have to react to, and you had a reasonable choice to not do that thing, you've probably done wrong. If you want to blow a stop at an empty intersection I couldn't give less of a gently caress, but the rear end in a top hat in the video forced oncoming traffic to react to his dawdling bullshit. Honestly I'd have had less of a problem with it had he done this at speed and cleared the intersection before anyone else got there

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My Thinkware F800 Pro you can read plates but only if they're about as close to the car as possible and in broad daylight. Like, they become visible as a car is passing you but a few car lengths away they're illegible.

Not sure how much it changes at night. Could be as good if you're getting a good reflection off the plate but overall obviously going to be worse most of the time.

Not sure about the newer 4k cameras. I have one but haven't installed it yet.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Would it be easier if the dashcam was 60fps and not fisheye? The last one I tried claimed to be 1080p but it was pretty blurry and fisheye as all hell

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

wolrah posted:

That's one of the reasons I keep my audio turned on, if something happens and I was able to see the plate myself I'll say it aloud to make sure it's in the clip even if the camera didn't catch it.

100% agreed, they don't make sense for bicycles, and if bicycles had entirely separated non-conflicting infrastructure they wouldn't need to follow those rules, but when you're sharing infrastructure sometimes that means you stop for less maneuverable traffic.

Good point.

And apologies for my terrible radio tastes if I ever post something serious here.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

How important is a rear view dashcam? I'm also curious what people have to say about the VIOFO A129 Plus Duo but it sounds like its a great camera.

How hard is it to mount one of those or just a dashcam in general? I'm assuming its mounting it, plugging it into the 12V slot for power, than syncing it to your phone. Hard wiring it is too advanced for me if that's important.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 12, 2022

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

How important is a rear view dashcam? I'm also curious what people have to say about the VIOFO A129 Plus Duo but it sounds like its a great camera.

How hard is it to mount one of those or just a dashcam in general? I'm assuming its mounting it, plugging it into the 12V slot for power, than syncing it to your phone. Hard wiring it is too advanced for me if that's important.

I've got 2 A129s, both hardwired, and I've hardwired an A119 (basically the same but just a front camera), and hardwired another camera a DDPAI something.

Honestly, hardwiring is pretty easy if you've got fuses in an easy to reach place. The hard part is running the cable under the trim so its out of the way, and frankly you should be doing that even if you're not hardwiring it.

As for the rear view, I'd say its about as important as the front camera really, even if someone rear ends you they can be a dick about it, might as well have footage to defend yourself with. That and I saw a guy nearly get dragged out of his car once but it was behind me so I was quite sad I didn't have footage of it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

limp_cheese posted:

AFAIK the Plus Duo is the same basic setup as my Pro Duo but with a 1440p front cam instead of 4K. The 4K model sometimes overheats in very hot climates, the 1440p and 1080p models apparently don't have the same problem. I live in Ohio so I've never had an issue with that.

quote:

Mounting the Viofos is trivial, they come with a bracket that has the standard 3M double sided tape on it. You peel the cover off the tape and stick it in place. Routing the wires is the hard part, regardless of if you hard wire or use a 12v socket.

Mine is....lazily installed at the moment. The power and rear camera wire both loop around the rear view mirror for support before heading down to tuck behind my phone mount before slipping next to the passenger seat to run to the back. The power plugs in to my rear 12v socket since that's switched, and the camera cable goes further back between the back seats before cutting over to the C pillar where I tuck it under the plastic trim to go up to roof level and back to the hatch.

I've had "take my headliner down and finish installing this plus my reverse camera" on my to do list for about 14 months now.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I feel like most of the time the rear camera isn't gonna make that much of a difference. Like if your car has rear end damage and your front camera shows that you're sitting at a red light and then all of a sudden you get hammered then what else is the rear camera going to prove?

But when it does matter, it probably matters a lot. Like what if it you've got enough resolution and the lighting is such that you can see the guy that rear ended you has both hands off the wheels because he's eating a KFC extra crispy chicken breast? Gonna help a lot when it comes to a settlement/trial/criminal proceedings.

So I'd still always have a rear camera.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Thank you for the replies. I'll end up getting a Pro Duo for my mom with the rear view camera. If all goes well with it I'll pick one up for myself too. I'm going to be in my car a lot more so its prudent to get one.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Don't be like me, and the first incident you witness you hit the wrong button and stop recording by accident. Thankfully, the guilty party admitted fault and my recording wasn't needed. Also, I wasn't involved.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I feel like they should be a standard feature. No joke, the first car I had I put a dash cam in it a few days after I got it and I went to pick up my girlfriend from her work. As I was talking about it someone reversed into me as they were pulling out of their parking space. No damage or anything but it was just the irony of me being in the middle of talking about useful it would be when someone hit me.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Don't be like me, and the first incident you witness you hit the wrong button and stop recording by accident. Thankfully, the guilty party admitted fault and my recording wasn't needed. Also, I wasn't involved.

I really don't understand why in those dashcam compilations you always see/hear the driver madly pawing at the button to save the clip. Are you running a 32MB SD card my dude? Just download the clip when you get home. Your average reasonably sized card will hold like a week's worth of footage.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

opengl128 posted:

I really don't understand why in those dashcam compilations you always see/hear the driver madly pawing at the button to save the clip. Are you running a 32MB SD card my dude? Just download the clip when you get home. Your average reasonably sized card will hold like a week's worth of footage.

Between 1440p@60 rear and 4K@30 on my front camera, 256GB holds ~8 hours on my 622GW. You can nix the "preview" files for the app to save a good amount of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

opengl128 posted:

That's why I'm using voice recognition on my 1S :smug:

So I have to turn down the music and say "record video" like three times. And yeah I stuck an old 16gb card there, I can't have a card there worth more than the car itself. But yeah it's still hours of footage at 1080p.