Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

petit choux posted:

I doubt you can go wrong. I'd say get the sub so you have a dedicated bass line. They're also one of the cheaper ones, if that's an issue at all. If you happen to have Microtoniq, you should get the Tonic. In fact, if you can get both, Microtoniq is a decent way to go. You can create or download as many beats as you like on the soft version and then put them on the Tonic. Only thing is the sofware has a lot of voices and the PO does not.

Sub, Factory and Rhythm sound awesome together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXzx5oiMw_I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Here is my minimalist setup. My goal is to stand before the Octa-Track. And become the Octa-Lord.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

how do you like that boombox

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ooh someone in here has the TE Box Thingy.

But you didn't get the 1150$ red edition:
https://teenage.engineering/products/ob-4/off-white

Jesus Christ or the 490$ white t-shirt.

This is what they're doing instead of fixing the OP-1 USB audio out bug.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 12, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

If you listen to the introduction of the track I just posted here, it's basically that. A single VCO modulated by a bunch of lfos and sent into a guitar pedal delay. No melody, not even an envelope. Of course I added a kick, some hats and a bass but you get the idea, it's easily done

https://soundcloud.com/gautier-gillon/discord

Neat, thanks. I think I'm going to try this process out in VCV rack first before I take the plunge into actual modules.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

A MIRACLE posted:

how do you like that boombox

I use the OB-4 for everything. I even listen to the FM radio, with the slowdown feature you can make any song instant vapor wave/DJ Screw. It's also the perfect size. I just wish it had more control over the ambient-mode. A light reverb or delay would have been great.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Cheese Thief posted:

Here is my minimalist setup. My goal is to stand before the Octa-Track. And become the Octa-Lord.

nice set up, thinkpads ftw

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Cheese Thief posted:

p good but needs a succulent or maybe an octa-pus

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

The Voice of Labor posted:

p good but needs a succulent or maybe an octa-pus

Just sampling Deflemask the duck tales Moon Theme on the octa then slowing it down while changing the low pass filter. It sounds really nice. I'd like to find more deflemask demos.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Likely to pay continuing mind to Furnace as their odd saga of back and forth with DM plays out however it does~

https://github.com/tildearrow/furnace

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Finally got this drat track done, it was supposed to be a January release but I have a baby boy who's 4 months old so it's iffy when I can sit and work on tracks right now, and this one had some stuff I struggled to get tracked well but managed in the end. All synth sounds including bass are from the Cherry Quadra, configured to do its 4 different things at the same time mapped across my keyboards. Guitar tones are from... uh... buncha stuff, Nembrini amps for the harmonized guitar parts and this plugin called Rhino from Aurora DSP for the later heavier sections.

https://soundcloud.com/user-612970086/starless-diodes-in-the-sky

Thanks very much for listening, I welcome thoughts & feedback.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 13, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

very good. very transformers the movie

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hell yeah. drat.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Agreed posted:

Finally got this drat track done, it was supposed to be a January release but I have a baby boy who's 4 months old so it's iffy when I can sit and work on tracks right now, and this one had some stuff I struggled to get tracked well but managed in the end. All synth sounds including bass are from the Cherry Quadra, configured to do its 4 different things at the same time mapped across my keyboards. Guitar tones are from... uh... buncha stuff, Nembrini amps for the harmonized guitar parts and this plugin called Rhino from Aurora DSP for the later heavier sections.

https://soundcloud.com/user-612970086/starless-diodes-in-the-sky

Thanks very much for listening, I welcome thoughts & feedback.

Very cool! Really like the swirling guitars. That Quadra synth VSTi looks really cool, too!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I've been doing more and more guitar synth stuff, a lot of it involving ebow. I was shopping for compressors to rein in the occasional volume spike, and I think this is the right one.

Shopping amazon.co.jp in English is always a fun experience.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

picked up an old tape recorder at the good will. any good overviews of how to tape music?

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

picked up an old tape recorder at the good will. any good overviews of how to tape music?

what are you trying to do? sound on sound especially when those were new is nice for figuring out workflow stuff to actually record on it, mw over the years has had some good stuff on like cutting cassettes into loops

if you're just trying to print cassette sound you press record, feed the sound you want into the input, rewind the tape, and record the output (maybe through a different machine) into whatever your final destination is

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

nah, musique concrete, or as you the kids say, "hainbach poo poo". tape loops, varying the playback speed, duplicating a bunch of times until it is a noisy mess. keep in mind this is a regular rear end tape recorder, like this

https://www.homedepot.com/p/JENSEN-Cassette-Player-Recorder-MCR-100/302439391

actually, I'd have to check but it's that model, or some iteration of it

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

If you haven't seen it already, Simon the Magpie put out a video recently detailing a cheap, easy, and solderless speed mod for cassette recorders.

https://youtu.be/wbuPBZ3RaQQ

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Voice of Labor, Rolo, Radiapathy, thank you all very much for listening and for the positive responses, made my afternoon :) I worked on that track for quite a while, had to practice the guitar solo a lot before I could get it in one take especially. I am really glad y'all like it!

There is one more thing I am going to play around with, whipping up a synth outro instead of the current guitar harmony reprise just to see if I like that. I had the reprise in the song already when its structure didn't include the aggressive guitar parts in the middle, it was (differently mixed, but) just the synth stuff on the version prior to releasing it. I don't hate it or anything, but I think it might have a nice fit if I get a synth sound dialed in right and be a little less samey since there's already quite a bit of harmonized guitar earlier in the song.

The Cherry Quadra is a lot of fun - doing four different synth things and making it really easy to trigger them in certain note ranges only (and set that up quickly and easily, not with a bunch of fiddling around) has been awesome. When using it in multi-out mode, it seems to bypass its internal effects, and the synth tones are a little bit bare sounding like that - but since it's multi-out, it's super easy to just set up unique effects chains for each one, so I have its bass synth running through a bass amp sim, the strings synth going through some texturizing stuff, the poly synth with its own effects complement, and then the lead synth through a guitar amp sim to really get some harmonics going on it, and each has its own little things going on too in terms of EQ and modulations.

I actually got Quadra for like $9.99 in what I believe was a pricing error they nevertheless honored from Plugin Boutique, because they raised it back to $39 right after and it has stayed there since. So that's one of the best value synths I own - knowing how it works now I'd have paid full price like I did for a few of their others (more recent ones like MemoryMode, released since they started putting oversampling on the oscillators especially).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Mar 13, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
<3

Is there anything simple and small I can use if I want to scratch samples? My goal is to lift samples from old vinyl but I don’t want to physically scratch them, I’d rather sample then do it. Tape hardware, software, shoot even that card recorder thing from Baby Driver, any ideas?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

<3

Is there anything simple and small I can use if I want to scratch samples? My goal is to lift samples from old vinyl but I don’t want to physically scratch them, I’d rather sample then do it. Tape hardware, software, shoot even that card recorder thing from Baby Driver, any ideas?

the easiest way by far is to get some DJ software

I don’t think you even need a controller necessarily, but if you want one you can get a mini one quite cheap, either new or used

Maybe there are plugins or smaller apps that can do it too.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

if you’re willing to go into the daw there’s a few vsts that can do it. i can’t really vouch for them except for the fl studio native one called gross beat that i’ve used for that from time to time. the closest analogue to that i’ve seen is cableguys time shaper but i think that’s an expensive one. there’s quite a few free and cheap ones as well if you don’t care about that sequencing interface

as for hardware the best would be a dj controller or a time coded record or something like that

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.

Rolo posted:

<3

Dude

Check this out

https://portablismgear.com/sc1000/sc1000-device/sc1000-mk2.html

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Is there a studio furniture / setup thread in here? I am moving into a new place that will have a detached garage (for the bikes / tools) and studio (for the ~synth zone~) building in the back yard that I have been given domain over. I am excited to setup the studio furniture from scratch. I plan on transferring over my standard Ikea DJ booth (2 x 4 Kallax on it's side + legs to get it to proper height) but am totally free to build / buy the desk / rack for my hardware gear setup. The center of my setup is the MC-707, and I've got a 61 key controller keyboard and a handful of other outboard kit (couple of td3's, electribeS, fx boxes). Should I put it all on one flat surface? Make some kind of tiered setup? standing desk or sitting desk?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tylertfb posted:

Is there a studio furniture / setup thread in here? I am moving into a new place that will have a detached garage (for the bikes / tools) and studio (for the ~synth zone~) building in the back yard that I have been given domain over. I am excited to setup the studio furniture from scratch. I plan on transferring over my standard Ikea DJ booth (2 x 4 Kallax on it's side + legs to get it to proper height) but am totally free to build / buy the desk / rack for my hardware gear setup. The center of my setup is the MC-707, and I've got a 61 key controller keyboard and a handful of other outboard kit (couple of td3's, electribeS, fx boxes). Should I put it all on one flat surface? Make some kind of tiered setup? standing desk or sitting desk?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-72-in-Adjustable-Height-Work-Table-HOLT72XDB11/307654222

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

My only gripe with this table is that it's a little narrow but otherwise it's a good table for a reasonable price

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm using the sideways 2x4 kallax and, man, it's the definition of "narrow workspace" lol

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

some kinda jackal posted:

I'm using the sideways 2x4 kallax and, man, it's the definition of "narrow workspace" lol

It's perfect for the dj booth setup (2 turntables + mixer (in my case, traktor S4 deck)) but yeah, narrow for anything else. I was designing my own workbench for the garage and was considering making it 30" deep (to fit the space) but everything I've read says to keep it at 24" deep so that everything is within arm's lenght without having to bend at the waist to reach the rear of the table, which sounds like a very good idea.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

These are pretty good, I've been using the 52-inch version as a computer desk for 2 - 3 years

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

some kinda jackal posted:

the new Ikea computer desk is awesome, I bought two

edit this one https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/utespelare-gaming-desk-black-80507627/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Speaking of scratching, I finally did the legwork and got my turntable working with Koala.

I am going to have stacks of old weird vinyl for pulling samples. STACKS.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Rolo posted:

Speaking of scratching, I finally did the legwork and got my turntable working with Koala.

I am going to have stacks of old weird vinyl for pulling samples. STACKS.

Dig. :same:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm yet to find a cheap way of virtual scratching that doesn't have a bunch of concessions one way or another.
Kinda annoying the free version of Traktor has no midi capabilities as that'd be ideal for people who occasionally want to piss about or dabble. I had a license for Traktor 2 but that's lost in the mists of time somewhere.
That said, with some practice the vinyl performance effect thing on Maschine with the touch strip is OK with some practice. You won't get mistaken for Kid Koala or Roc Raida though.

Did controllerism die a death or is it just me? Moldover was a huge proponent of that, and I think stuff like MIDI Fighter controllers still do OK for the niche they are in, but I guess better integration between hardware and software (Push 2, I guess whatever the latest Traktor controller is, mayyyybe timecode vinyl) made it a bit redundant.

Either way, pretty much every old classic battle record (Babu's super duck breaks series, A-Trak's serieses, Invisibl Skratch Picklez/Q-Bert stuff, you name it) is up on YouTube.

For research purposes.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That reminds me, I really need to get rid of this PT01-USB that I used like .. once in two years.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

kidfresca posted:

If you haven't seen it already, Simon the Magpie put out a video recently detailing a cheap, easy, and solderless speed mod for cassette recorders.

perfect, thanks.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yo, I'm new to all this, but since getting moved to WFH, my Mrs. picked up an adjustable desk, and grabbed one for me at the same time. She uses hers in standup mode 99% of the time, but I really appreciate being able to adjust the height, depending on mood and activity.

I lack the room to have everything set up at once. I have my laptop and monitor set up all the time, and swap synth stuff in and out with the remaining space. The opportunity to stand in front, with everything at the perfect height, then change it up to chill in a chair while reading the forums or playing a game is great.

Maybe think about adjustability as a consideration?

kidfresca posted:

Dunno about the quality of those instructions. Might endanger the durability of your tape deck.
Reference time stamp 4min42s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHL8IhRzyvs&t=282s
Also: could just be it's an old tape deck, what do you expect to happen?
:cheers:

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 15, 2022

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Rolo posted:

How did you get started with euro? I shouldn’t even be asking but I would love to be able to throw stuff like that together with a nice cup of tea on a rainy day :coal:

To add another response: I've been working with software (first trackers, then Reason) for about 20 years but over the last few lost steam and inspiration on using them. Then my girlfriend and I moved to Seattle and I discovered they have an amazing synthesizer and eurorack store here called Patchwerks, and I decided to buy some hardware (a Minilogue XD and a Digitakt) with my stimmy check to see if that would reawaken my inspiration. Getting a Behringer Neutron a few months later got me intrigued by the possibilities of patching. I had a MicroFreak for a short while, but I hated how thin it sounded and how far outside of every mix it sounded in my setup, so I figured starting off in Eurorack with a Plaits (which the MicroFreak cribs all its algorithms from) would be a better way to access those sounds and play with patching stuff. Using the filter, VCA and envelopes on the Neutron with the Plaits as an oscillator and two effects modules (a Dreadbox Nostalgia delay and a Recovery Bad Comrade distortion) rocked my world, and I just tumbled down the Eurorack rabbit hole from there. Now, other than my Minilogue XD and two Volcas (FM and Drum), my setup is overwhelmingly Eurorack and I've finished an album for the first time since 2014. :)

If I had to go back in time and start again, I'd probably start with the Neutron and a case large enough to mount it in along with a few other modules. Then I'd get Pamela's New Workout, which is the beating heart of my own system, and a few effects modules to fatten up the Neutron. If that whole setup works for you, then it's easy to start building on that foundation.

And yeah, you can never have enough VCAs (or attenuators).

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Got my Befaco Joystick and Even VCO kits today, and each one’s hosed up. Joystick kit has eight extra 10k resistors in lieu of 100k resistors, and these resistors are half size, so there’s nowhere quick I can get them from.

Meanwhile, the Even VCO has pre-soldered SMT components and one of the ICs broke off in shipping. It looks like the pads got pulled up, so the entire PCB is ruined.

This is my hobby, this is what I do for fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

IME mouser (digikey, etc...) is much better at getting the right things in the packages than whoever is re-packing them into kits. Just sayin', maybe it's time to BOM it up yourself?

Resistors are fairly easy to kludge across package sizes ime, just bend the legs so they fit. Might stick out weird above the board but especially lined up I have much better luck doing that than similar things with say caps. That being said, Mouser looks pretty stocked rn (Yageo and Vishay are two I've used happily before, I have a vague memory of prefering Yageo, but it shouldn't really matter at all):

https://www.mouser.com/c/passive-co...n%20style=Axial

I think thats the package size befaco uses unless a lot of stuff has changed (but you should be able to confirm w/ the schematic, these are 1/4 watt resistors)