Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

NRVNQSR posted:

In the storage settings you can set which library is the default install location, and you can move games between libraries after they're installed. The Deck UI doesn't give you a choice per-game at install time like the Desktop UI does, though.

Thanks, I just happened to find this. Sucks you can’t do it on a game by game basis, but, early adoptin’ and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

pseudorandom name posted:

Microsoft's message is going to be "do you want Game Pass on the Steam Deck? You can buy Windows for only $139." and the subtext will be "it was very strange that Valve chose to waste all that money on that broken Linux thing when they could've made the Steam Deck hardware better and pre-installed Windows for free."

The funniest option would be them introducing a Windows SKU that requires a Game Pass subscription and doesn't support installing non-Windows Store programs.
Do you think it's still 2003 or something

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Microsoft has no incentive to bring Game Pass to Linux because that would increase the value and popularity of the Steam Deck,

What was been their incentive to even tweet about it and boost it's popularity?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AFAIK windows is actually free for devices 7 inches and under.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK windows is actually free for devices 7 inches and under.

Free to OEMs for devices with screen diagonals 9 inches and smaller. Not free to end users, though.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yes, Valve could have included it for free if they wanted to

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

And instead they chose to spend a whole lot of excess money on Proton while publicly wincing about how painful it was to keep the Steam Deck price low.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

flavor.flv posted:

Yes, Valve could have included it for free if they wanted to

That would probably have been rather a squeeze on the 64gb model.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Microsoft makes the vast majority of its money through Azure and Office. Their personal computing segment which includes both Windows and Xbox together was only 29% of its earnings last quarter. Anyone can see that sacrificing their so far extremely successful gaming brand penetration via Gamepass to sell a few more Windows SKUs is not good business sense. I once again must reiterate that Steve Ballmer the dumbest businessman alive is no longer in charge to make those kinds of bonehead moves that Microsoft was famous for 10+ years ago.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I feel like the only thing that has really changed at MS is their communication is really good, and they seem more likable but saying something on a tweet is far from all this stuff people seem to think MS is doing. The fact is GP is only on MS platforms and the store looks like two interns worked on it for a week.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

And instead they chose to spend a whole lot of excess money on Proton while publicly wincing about how painful it was to keep the Steam Deck price low.

It's going to be worth it in the long run. Having a viable alternative to Windows is beneficial to everyone, consumers most of all.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
After 2 days of waiting, it has finally moved from the Netherlands to a parcel centre in Ireland, so I could with get it tomorrow or wait till some time next week...

YES!!!

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I know the Steam Deck is a pc because the entire first day is just spent downloading games and personalizing options to get everything how you like it

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

(EDIT, CHECK FIRST!!!: Better deal if you're a new member, use code 15PERCENT instead for a max $20 off on cards.)

If anyone wants to save a little money on the Deck, raise.com has a site-wide 5% off on gift cards with code LUCKY, Steam included. I was a bit gunshy of loading my whole purchase up through that, but I did end up getting $15 off by buying $300 credit.

EDIT: Added new member code above, plus I just confirmed I was able to add the $284.32 purchase of $300 Steam credit to my account. It worked.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 11, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Rusty posted:

I feel like the only thing that has really changed at MS is their communication is really good, and they seem more likable but saying something on a tweet is far from all this stuff people seem to think MS is doing. The fact is GP is only on MS platforms and the store looks like two interns worked on it for a week.
On the development side of things, MS has definitely gotten way better since Satya Nadella took over. They've made huge steps to put .NET on other platforms and integrated Linux directly into Windows, two things that would never have happened under Ballmer. They haven't done everything perfectly but it's a huge breath of fresh air from being a Windows developer like 15 years ago. Nobody is saying MS is becoming a bastion of integrity and openness, but they are definitely less insular (to the point of self-harm) and stubbornly anti-competition than they were in the Ballmer days.

I think even MS knows how lovely the MS Store is given that they don't sell any of their higher end stuff like Visual Studio there, and they've recently made Game Pass use regular rear end folders for installations instead of the weird MS Store gated partition thing.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I wish the thumbsticks were grippier. I guess I could order some covers but doesn’t the Deck use haptics to know your thumbs are on them? I wonder if that would break anything.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Depending on how tightly tuned the capacitive sensors are they might still work with a thin cover over them. Bulky covers won't work though.

That type of sensor doesn't need physical contact, your finger just needs to be within some threshold (same reason why phone touchscreens still work with a screen protector on them)

repiv fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 11, 2022

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Soul Glo posted:

I wish the thumbsticks were grippier. I guess I could order some covers but doesn’t the Deck use haptics to know your thumbs are on them? I wonder if that would break anything.

I read some time ago that the thumb sensors were mostly used for activating the gyro aiming. So, if you don't mind potentially losing that, it should be fine.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Has anyone tried using PC Steam Back ups on their steam deck to install games quicker. I've set up a tester and hopefully it'll work out saving me time.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
You guys do realize "Microsoft" is not one person and the people in charge of making DirectX available on Linux are probably not the same people that could approve the strategy of selling Xbox games on Deck, right?
I can totally see an exec in one Microsoft division deciding that they will "support" the deck while other divisions don't. I doubt the deck is important enough that Microsoft will hold a strategy meeting and decide on a universa stance.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The ability of Linux to run the vast majority of Windows' game library is something that Microsoft should be having a lot of meetings about, the implications of it affect just about every part of their consumer-facing business. Doing nothing is essentially ceding control of win32.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Xbox wants people to play their games and pay money for the privilege, and isn't enormously fussy about the where, when and how, so long as their numbers (financial and player counts/hours/etc.) look good.

Microsoft in general is also considerably less antagonistic towards Linux and open-source nowadays than they were back in the 90s, hence WSL and the whole owning GitHub thing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

They have diversified, but I don't think that means they're totally willing to give up control over the API that they've used as leverage for decades. Even cloud gaming is threatened a little, why pay the Microsoft tax when you could roll your own using Wine/Proton and any Linux server with a GPU in it?

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

Soul Glo posted:

I know the Steam Deck is a pc because the entire first day is just spent downloading games and personalizing options to get everything how you like it

Fiddling with something to get it just how you like it, that's just Linux, yo. Moreover, it's going to be a continuous process because again... Linux. Maybe a pretty shell, hide some of the nitty-gritty stuff from the user behind some toggles, but... Linux.

I've used Linux as my daily, regular OS before. It's just going to be an unending slog of bugs and "time to go write a bash script so I can unfuck this weird edge case glitch that keeps happening to me, and only me".

still preordered it because holy drat emulation is gonna be tight on Deck. I can't wait for "almost every single existing console in my hands" emulation. But it's gonna be a continuous, painful process of fiddle-loving with it, I guarantee it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

You guys do realize "Microsoft" is not one person and the people in charge of making DirectX available on Linux are probably not the same people that could approve the strategy of selling Xbox games on Deck, right?
I can totally see an exec in one Microsoft division deciding that they will "support" the deck while other divisions don't. I doubt the deck is important enough that Microsoft will hold a strategy meeting and decide on a universa stance.

This is still true:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tamba posted:

This is still true:

For Microsoft: Less than it was before but somewhat yes

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tamba posted:

This is still true:

It's not really that true, Stack Ranking (the system that pitted employees against each other which I guess is what the comic is trying to show?) was Ballmer's galaxy brain idea that he copied from General Electric. It was dropped the second he left. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/compensation/pages/stack-ranking-microsoft.aspx

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 12, 2022

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

SEKCobra posted:

because it is easier to judge their intentions based on their actual actions and not how I feel about them as a company.

The Kins posted:

Xbox wants people to play their games and pay money for the privilege, and isn't enormously fussy about the where, when and how, so long as their numbers (financial and player counts/hours/etc.) look good.
Except for the part where you can only play their games on their platform with the exception being where people reverse engineered DirectX APIs.

Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 12, 2022

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

well, if this thread has proven anything so far, goons are really good at predicting how things will turn out on the steam deck!!! glad the device actually exists in the wild now so we can finally discuss the curvature of steve ballmer’s bald dome

has anyone with a deck tried the Yakuza games on it yet? I’m anticipating that being my backlog series (assuming it runs well)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Volte posted:

It's not really that true, Stack Ranking (the system that pitted employees against each other which I guess is what the comic is trying to show?) was Ballmer's galaxy brain idea that he copied from General Electric. It was dropped the second he left. https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtools/hr-topics/compensation/pages/stack-ranking-microsoft.aspx

MS is rather infamous for inter-department warfare. We've seen it first-hand in our negotiations with MS.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Asking Microsoft to be responsible for a DirectX implementation in Linux sounds like a terrible idea for the Linux community.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Tons of large corporations contribute to the Linux source, like Oracle, Intel, Apple, etc. Unless you are saying MS is a particularly awful company that shouldn't be near the Linux kernel in which case it's a bit too late for that, they have an implementation in Windows already.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Lockback posted:

Asking Microsoft to be responsible for a DirectX implementation in Linux sounds like a terrible idea for the Linux community.
This reminds me of the old reverse-engineered nForce Ethernet driver where Nvidia themselves contributed gigabit support:

forcedeth.c posted:

forcedeth: Ethernet driver for NVIDIA nForce media access controllers.

Note: This driver is a cleanroom reimplementation based on reverse engineered documentation written by Carl-Daniel Hailfinger and Andrew de Quincey.
Copyright (c) 2004,2005,2006,2007,2008,2009 NVIDIA Corporation

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d probably leave the deck at home but what do I know.

init
Jun 20, 2021

Just a word of caution for people thinking of running Windows off an SD card: I’ve done it before on a different device (Surface Pro) and it was horribly slow. (Disclaimer that I’ve not tried it on a Steam Deck, which might be better)

Most SD cards have really poor IO performance, like 100 times worse than the built-in NVMe.

Linux is fine running off an SD card especially if you set some kernel flags to do heavier in-memory caching. But I couldn’t find a good way to make Windows tolerable on an SD card. I ended up uninstalling it a few days later.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’m pleasantly surprised how good the Switch emulation already is. I still question whether it can pay the higher end games well but the mid range Nintendo games, like the Pokémon games, will probably be fine.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I’d probably leave the deck at home but what do I know.

I spent a month in the hospital with my wife leading up to our first being born six weeks early

You know nothing op

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Kirios posted:

I’m pleasantly surprised how good the Switch emulation already is. I still question whether it can pay the higher end games well but the mid range Nintendo games, like the Pokémon games, will probably be fine.
Especially with how before release, some goons were really mocking the idea that it could play Switch games at all and to lower expectations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Following in linus stumbling around with the deck still. Here he is trying it out on windows using the released drivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNt_ReLwk40

I suspect that some of these problems will be fixed over the course of several more driver updates. For example, there is a sound driver available yet as has been mentioned. So hopefully some other default keys/buttons can be more mapped around comfortably in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Soul Glo posted:

I spent a month in the hospital with my wife leading up to our first being born six weeks early

You know nothing op

:hf: same here. Switch was great for that lead up but I didn't bring it to the delivery room, lol