Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It might be because they were the current ones when I got to max level, but the Nier raids are my favorite mechanics-wise. The others just seem like a slog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Every once in a while a Nier raid turns into a mass casualty event, but that's also part of the fun.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I think all the 3 raid tiers after Crystal tower are fun in their own way. I got Dun Scaith for my ADR yesterday and it’s honestly a fun time with some neat mechanics. It’s also hilarious to see pissbaby’s throw a tantrum and see 6 people leave the raid because they didn’t get Crystal Tower, and even though all the other raids take longer I’d be content having longer raids than running boring content with half my abilities locked.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, i throw in some adr's to diversify from trial roulette when i'm trying to get a feel for a dps job i've just picked up and pretty much everything after void ark is at least "ok" and rapidly gets better thru the expansions imo

i wonder if we'll have any more team-kill opportunities in the new series :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Syrcus Tower needs a Hard mode.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I’m looking forward to the new alliance raid series since it’s not a homage to something else. The Ivalice and Nier stuff was cool, but I liked CT/Sky Pirates stuff more from a narrative perspective.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

kitten emergency posted:

I’m looking forward to the new alliance raid series since it’s not a homage to something else. The Ivalice and Nier stuff was cool, but I liked CT/Sky Pirates stuff more from a narrative perspective.

CT is explicitly the ending to FFIII down to mob arrangement.

Dun Scaith also starts out with an explicit FFVI tribute in the Deathgaze Hollow fight.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Syrcus Tower needs a Hard mode.

when they were doing reworks they should have also just enabled ilevel sync for alliance raids like it is for dungeons. IMO a lot of people doing shenanigans with item levels to avoid running anything else would gladly get dun scaith or whatever if they actually had to do mechanics in CT lmao

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dun Scaith also starts out with an explicit FFVI tribute in the Deathgaze Hollow fight.

It'd be nice sometimes if we could Vanish + X-Zone Deathgaze in this one, even if it means we don't get the magicite after.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The Black Stones posted:

I think all the 3 raid tiers after Crystal tower are fun in their own way. I got Dun Scaith for my ADR yesterday and it’s honestly a fun time with some neat mechanics. It’s also hilarious to see pissbaby’s throw a tantrum and see 6 people leave the raid because they didn’t get Crystal Tower, and even though all the other raids take longer I’d be content having longer raids than running boring content with half my abilities locked.

I keep hearing this, but is it really true? Maybe it's the CT fatigue finally setting in or maybe I'm coming to the realization that Lv50 SMN feels real bad to play, but I got Ridorana Lighthouse in ADR and it felt like it went so much faster than any of the other CT raids I got in the previous day in ADR.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s less the feeling that they’re referential and more the feeling that they don’t fit in with the cosmology. Pretty much everything in XIV is referential, and while they retconned some of it to be more tied into the cosmology (like CT), Ivalice and Nier stand out as being the most disconnected.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I keep hearing this, but is it really true? Maybe it's the CT fatigue finally setting in or maybe I'm coming to the realization that Lv50 SMN feels real bad to play, but I got Ridorana Lighthouse in ADR and it felt like it went so much faster than any of the other CT raids I got in the previous day in ADR.

later raids can go pretty quickly too if everyone is pressing their buttons and not dying

sometimes that even happens!

but yeah even the ct raids would be much improved if nothing else changed but we had our full kit. some jobs are just fuckin' embarrassing at 50 now

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I hate every time I get CT while leveling Bard because I don’t even have all my songs.

Also I hate it every time I queue for AR roulette with WHM and BLM for the tomes because they are both so painful at 50.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My issue with the harder alliances is that they don't wipe you, and instead 5 people in one of the parties miraculously survive and limp on for another 6 minutes doing 8% of the boss's HP before finally dying when their one living healer gets tunnel vision and eats an aoe.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I find they usually do take slightly longer because you don’t laughably ignore mechanics. They can still be pretty quick if everyone is on the same page though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kitten emergency posted:

I'm the opposite and I would love to see a Midgar raid.

Also how much of the Ivalice stuff gets followed up on in Bozja? I finally finished that raid and while the War of the Lions stuff is clearly wrapped up, it still seemed like there were some dangling plot threads from the current day stuff (including what I think was a nod to Ashe not being dead a la FF12 proper.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Bozja stuff barely has an ending in its own right due to time constraints, it doesn't really follow up on that stuff. A few returning characters from that raid series like Mikoto and Bwagi are relatively important, and Fran appears again near the end, but it's not quite what you're looking for if what you want is a more concrete look at how Dalmasca is doing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Quote is not edit

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think the only real follow up on Dalmasca is in the Stormblood lorebook. Maybe we’ll get more on it in the Shadowbringers/Endwalker one, but Bozja is it’s own thing and Matsuno is no longer working with the FF14 team.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Nier obviously doesn't fit, but i think Ivalice can fit into the world fine. The problem is that the story is dog poo poo and obviously referencing a different game so if you haven't played it you're left wondering what's going on and why you should care. I never got that feeling from Crystal Tower. I haven't played FF3 so other than knowing the crystal tower was in that game too i didn't realise it was making loads of references, it just felt like it fit.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The nier raids had some fun mechanics but I thought they sucked and shouldn't have been in. It felt self indulgent in a way none of the other reference raids/dungeons/bosses are, IMO.

e: And due to their nature it means they will never be relevant or meaningful to the setting at all. It sucks.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 12, 2022

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Going through them right now, the Nier raids are neat as hell but they feel out of place, like an extended crossover event whose space could have been used to flesh out The First a little more.

The Ivalice stuff just goes right over my head, I have no frame of reference for 12 or Tactics and the combination of there being so much of it and having it be jammed into the narrative the way it is means I can't just compartmentalise it as a bit of dumb fun like the Nier raids. It's like someone mashing their favourite game into my face again and again and again, it's not exactly selling me on that particular chunk of Final Fantasy, where the other blatantly referential stuff is at least cute (even Deltascape et al, which again feel like event dungeons that inexplicably stick around).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Despite relying on XIV lore for framing, the Shadow of Mhach series feels like it belongs to an entirely different game world. Ostensibly one where Leofard isn't boring and lame.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Truga posted:

when they were doing reworks they should have also just enabled ilevel sync for alliance raids like it is for dungeons. IMO a lot of people doing shenanigans with item levels to avoid running anything else would gladly get dun scaith or whatever if they actually had to do mechanics in CT lmao

Wait, is that why I’m constantly getting Crystal Tower? I thought it was just sprouts needing it for story reasons. hosed up if I’m being forced into boring content because people want to save five minutes.

Maybe I’ll not stand on the pads on purpose.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

As a huge Ivalice fan I love the raid series, but Ivalice could have been integrated better. Like it's just "oh yeah Ivalice exists here" which is surprising since I feel like all the other reference stuff such as Doma or the Warring Triad is integrated so well.

Also the most of the characters involved kinda suck and somehow the incredibly minor villain from 12 ends up coming out of that story looking the best out of everyone.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

blastron posted:

Wait, is that why I’m constantly getting Crystal Tower? I thought it was just sprouts needing it for story reasons. hosed up if I’m being forced into boring content because people want to save five minutes.

crystal tower is always gonna be the most common because it's the lowest level alliance raid and the only msq-mandatory one, so it'll naturally have eligible people in roulette at any given time.

but also whenever you see someone show to a crystal tower raid naked and then quickly put on gear, that's them manipulating their ilvl to not even risk the small chance of not getting crystal tower

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

blastron posted:

It’s both really. It’s required content, so sprouts need it. I’ve generally seen a new player bonus when I get one of them. However a bunch of times I haven’t got the bonus message, i zone in and then see someone suddenly go from a tiny amount of health to getting to where everyone else is and that’s the sign that they unequipped their gear so Crystal Tower is the the only raid they can do.

Its not happening every time you run, and I don’t see it (at least within my own parties where I can immediately tell) often. However, it’s enough of a thing that they should find a fix for it.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

crystal tower is always gonna be the most common because it's the lowest level alliance raid and the only msq-mandatory one, so it'll naturally have eligible people in roulette at any given time.

but also whenever you see someone show to a crystal tower raid naked and then quickly put on gear, that's them manipulating their ilvl to not even risk the small chance of not getting crystal tower

Yeah, if just one person who’s Lv 50-59 queues into AR roulette for the exp, some group of 24 is going to get pulled into a CT raid even if every single person who was pulled into it used the roulette and didn’t hard queue.

There’s lots of reasons that you’re going to get a CT raid 8/10 times, it’s just that you kinda get sick of it (and of syncing to 50) after a while.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish I could set specific titles as Favorites or something. I currently use <The Song upon the Wind> because it's sick as hell and I'm a BRD main, but there's a ton of good ones and I'd love if it was easier to switch so I might actually change my title whenever I switch jobs.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Arist posted:

I wish I could set specific titles as Favorites or something. I currently use <The Song upon the Wind> because it's sick as hell and I'm a BRD main, but there's a ton of good ones and I'd love if it was easier to switch so I might actually change my title whenever I switch jobs.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/text_command/c774b632f3c/ if you use macros to change jobs. Personally I always run Sky Pirate because, well, I'm a massive Skies of Arcadia fan. But that one for bard's is great too and The Meat Axe always makes me smile.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

As a huge Ivalice fan I love the raid series, but Ivalice could have been integrated better. Like it's just "oh yeah Ivalice exists here" which is surprising since I feel like all the other reference stuff such as Doma or the Warring Triad is integrated so well.

Also the most of the characters involved kinda suck and somehow the incredibly minor villain from 12 ends up coming out of that story looking the best out of everyone.

Agreed, we should have an entire MSQ story arc where we go to Ivalice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Besides the obvious (DRK), do we have any idea (or even just guesses) what classes they'll be doing work on for 6.1? I'd like to get those to cap if possible before they change them too heavily. I'm a little worried they're going to nerf Bloodwhetting before I get to level WAR.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Arist posted:

Besides the obvious (DRK), do we have any idea (or even just guesses) what classes they'll be doing work on for 6.1? I'd like to get those to cap if possible before they change them too heavily. I'm a little worried they're going to nerf Bloodwhetting before I get to level WAR.

I think they've said there won't be major changes in 6.1 because the Ultimate is coming out. I don't think they will nerf Bloodwhetting because they don't really care about dungeon balance and it's not that much better than Heart of Corundum and Holy Sheltron in single target situations.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
i believe they mentioned MCH adjustments in the LL. which is good, because the best parsing MCH is doing the same damage as a median parsing MNK

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Levelling my trust buddies and I want to bring Y'Shtola along my next round, but I'm curious if she will hold back at all and whether she'll keep her gloves on.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How common is it to learn about the edge's of the arena in E1N the hard way?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Bruceski posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/text_command/c774b632f3c/ if you use macros to change jobs. Personally I always run Sky Pirate because, well, I'm a massive Skies of Arcadia fan. But that one for bard's is great too and The Meat Axe always makes me smile.

As a GNB main I couldn't have been happier to realize the Dwarf rep gave me Tank Technician.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

theironjef posted:

As a GNB main I couldn't have been happier to realize the Dwarf rep gave me Tank Technician.

A guildy of mine uses that for her healer title.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

blastron posted:

it's not that simple as pointed out above for just basic math reasons, but usually any time you queue as adventurer in need and not drop into a newbie filled mhach or whatever, and instead into a CT full of lv80+ dudes, someone was doing this

i found the best way to avoid CT is to not run alliance roulette around reset times, since you have a way better chance to not get matched exclusively with other roulette goers, but also this is maybe a uniquely european solution since reset time is early evening/late afternoon depending on timezone, and thus prime time, so a lot of people wait for reset and then queue immediately

also, doing roulettes at off hours in general gives way more varied content, in my experience, though that's obviously not doable most of the time unless you're on night shift or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

Bruceski posted:

I'm a massive Skies of Arcadia fan.

:yeah:

I had been using <Khloe's Best Friend> for a long, long time, but I swapped over to <The Seventh Dawn> after finishing leveling the trust buds.

HackensackBackpack posted:

Levelling my trust buddies and I want to bring Y'Shtola along my next round, but I'm curious if she will hold back at all and whether she'll keep her gloves on.

You could try bringing Alisaie or Estinien. I hear they're tired of being underestimated.