Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Alright, some trip reports from some stuff I've been playing recently.

Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors
Been meaning to play this one since PaletteSwappedNinja mentioned it back on page 1 of this very thread. A remake of the SNES game The Ninja Warriors (itself a port of the arcade version), this is a straightforward beat em up with an interesting power system for special moves. You build special meter over time/as you attack and can cash it out into a few character-dependent special movies or for a screen-knockdown bomb attack. There's not much in the way of moves here, but the special moves add enough flavour to the fighting that it avoids becoming mind-numbing. A lot of the more basic enemies the game throws at you can also be killed in a single hit, leading to situations where the game likes to flood you with enemies and the challenge is working out how to quickly clear them out or learning to prioritise the more dangerous enemy in their midst. The game is a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to playing through it more.

Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Saga Continues

This game isn't great, but it is significantly better than it has any right to be. They even got William Zabka, Ralph Macchio, Jacob Bertrand and Gianni DeCenzo in to do some voice lines for the games, though this does have the unfortunate effect of throwing into sharp relief the voice work for some of the other characters that doesn't even manage to sound remotely similar (the VA for Tory in this... oof.)
There's a lot of systems and content here. There are two different paths through the story mode determined by the dojo you choose at the start of the game, Cobra Kai or Miyagi-do. For each dojo you get four separate characters that will join you (Johnny, Miguel, Tory and Hawk for Cobra Kai; Daniel, Robby, Sam and Dimitri for Miyagi-do). Each character can be swapped between freely as you progress through the stage and has their own set of four skills that can be upgraded, though all characters in the same dojo also share four "dojo skills" as well. Cobra Kai get better offense and fire-based attacks, Miyagi-do get better defense and freezing ice attacks, just like I'm sure you all remember from the show.

The art style is not great, I'll get that out of the way up front. This game does not make a good first impression, from the terrible box art with Street Fighter 5-esque monstrosities meant to represent Johnny and Daniel, to the in-game graphics where everyone looks disconcertingly smooth and feel like mobile game asset flip versions of themselves.

Characters have a decent set of combo strings, two command specials, grab moves and a throw, plus a dodge and a parry on a short cooldown, and a screen hitting ultimate that builds up over time. Combined with environmental attacks you can find throughout the stages and the dojo and character skills thrown in, there's certainly no shortage of options. The devs are clearly fans of the beat em up genre (you can throw enemies into the screen ala TMNT IV) and you can tell this game was a labour of love. All sounds good so far, right? Unfortunately, the controls and responsiveness let this one down. The pace of the game feels plodding, like your characters are stuck in mud. It doesn't help that it forces analogue stick control that doesn't feel particularly great moving around the game's rather large z-axis. Hitboxes feel wonky, attacks seem to pass through enemies when they should hit and occasionally enemy attacks will clip you out of the air at ranges you wouldn't expect. There's a combo score system that's tied to how many upgrade points you get at the end of each level, but none of your moves feel like they flow particularly well into each other. Enemies that I've encountered so far have been very dull/stupid and the game feels very, very light on challenge.

Stages are on the long side, and looking at the world map there are a lot of them. With the core fighting not feeling as snappy and responsive as I'd like, I'm not sure I've got the patience to push through it. Where I suspect this game might shine though is played co-op with people less familiar with beat 'em ups, a theory I intend to test at some point with my wife. She's a fan of Cobra Kai like I am and I suspect she'll have a lot of fun given the theme and the fact that the game is not particularly difficult will be a tremendous positive for her. And as much as I don't think it's a great game, I'm genuinely surprised to see the amount of clear effort and attention that has gone into what I absolutely would have assumed was a completely soulless cash-grab.

River City Girls Zero

There is definitely a strong whiplash going from the animated opening, song, and motion comic cutscene to then being dumped into a literal SNES port. I knew this was just a port of the SNES game going in and I still felt a strong moment of whiplash, so I have to wonder if there are going to be some people out there who pick this up and get very confused/disheartened when they are dropped into a retro-rear end beat 'em up. The game definitely improves after the opening and first stage (when you get your school uniforms back) where you unlock a few extra moves for each character like grabbing/throwing, pin attacks and two special moves. Similar to Cobra Kai you can freely switch between your four characters - Kunio, Riki, Misako and Kyoko. Seems like a lot of fun so far, but I'm sure the difficulty is going to ramp up as the game progresses. I will say given the size of the character and enemy sprites, it does make screens and levels feel very cramped - not enough to bug me, but definitely something I noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

How does Ninja Warriors feel given that there's no vertical movement? It's the one aspect that's given me the most pause in picking it up and trying it myself.

Also definitely interested in hearing more of what you think of the River City Girls 0 port as you get further along.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mode 7 posted:

Alright, some trip reports from some stuff I've been playing recently.

Ninja Saviours: Return of the Warriors
Been meaning to play this one since PaletteSwappedNinja mentioned it back on page 1 of this very thread. A remake of the SNES game The Ninja Warriors (itself a port of the arcade version)
Gonna say Ninja Warriors Again wasn't really a port of the arcade original like the MegaCD/PC Engine versions, it's a vastly expanded remake/reimagining and basically a wholly new game with the same premise. And it's heritage as a platformer/brawler is far closer to the likes of Bad Dudes or Shinobi than the belt scrollers we think of beat-em-ups as today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgiHDRu8wDQ

And of course the Ninja Warriors Once Again is a similarly expanded remake/reimagining of Ninja Warriors Again, adding 2 more characters and upgrading all of the graphics and sound and gameplay while retaining the look and feel of the SNES original, just as Wild Guns did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H0LWE5aQZU

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Feb 18, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Huh, thanks for the correction about it not being a port - in my brain the SNES version was significantly closer to the Arcade version.
It's been years since I've played either though so I'm not surprised some details got lost along the way...

Potsticker posted:

How does Ninja Warriors feel given that there's no vertical movement? It's the one aspect that's given me the most pause in picking it up and trying it myself.

United States is right that it definitely draws on that 'proto-beat-em-up' action game genre that existed before Renegade was released - given the martial arts theme, single plane of scrolling and the enemies that can be dispatched in one hit the comparison my mind reaches for is Kung Fu. To me, at least, the existence of enemies that take multiple hits to defeat and the presence of a combo system (and other recognisable beat em up staples like grabs/throws, throwable environmental objects, special moves) makes it feel like a beat em up still, just from a different design branch that never really took off once belt scrollers blew up.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 18, 2022

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

United States is right that it's heritage definitely draws on that 'proto-beat-em-up' action game genre that existed before Renegade was released - given the martial arts theme, single plane of scrolling and the enemies that can be dispatched in one hit the comparison my mind reaches for is Kung Fu. To me, at least, the existence of enemies that take multiple hits to defeat and the presence of a combo system (and other recognisable beat em up staples like grabs/throws, throwable environmental objects, special moves) makes it feel like a beat em up still, just from a different design branch that never really took off once belt scrollers blew up.

Oh, the comparisons of Bad Dudes, Shinobi and Kung Fu make it a lot easier to imagine how that works, and favorably because I loved those two games-- and things like Rolling Thunder and similar titles. Though, I think that may be branching off further from Shinobi in specific where you have a ranged attack and multiple levels of height to jump between. Still, that's a really informative comparison, thanks!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I have gotten to the first motorcycle level in River City Girls Zero and I am both incredibly nostalgic about how games used to be like this and incredibly aware of why developers stopped making them like this.

If you hit the wall on either side of the freeway, you die and restart the entire thing. Drive safely kids.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
I never knew about this Bootleg Metal Gear Solid GBC beat-em-up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbEjMf36Iew

Potsticker posted:

Oh, the comparisons of Bad Dudes, Shinobi and Kung Fu make it a lot easier to imagine how that works, and favorably because I loved those two games-- and things like Rolling Thunder and similar titles. Though, I think that may be branching off further from Shinobi in specific where you have a ranged attack and multiple levels of height to jump between. Still, that's a really informative comparison, thanks!
Yeah no throwing stars but some of the extra characters have fairly long range attacks due to extendo arms and the like.

The Bad Dudes comparison is perhaps especially apt because 2 player simultaneous play is something this new iteration (Once Again/Return) finally brings back from the original arcade game, the SNES version (Again) was single player only.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The United States posted:

I never knew about this Bootleg Metal Gear Solid GBC beat-em-up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbEjMf36Iew

Leaving aside my complaints about the dude massaging 5 minutes of content into a 16 minute video because YouTube gonna YouTube, this is super cool.
The gameplay looks surprisingly good compared to what I was expecting, given the one two punch of "bootleg MGS beat-em-up" and "on the gameboy color"!

This might show up at some point as one of my picks for the Game Boy Game Club :evilbuddy:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One rather old beat em up I would be looking forward to is Violent Storm.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Worth mentioning the in-game move list in Ninja Warriors is missing a few moves for each character. They aren't complicated inputs or anything, but you could still miss them. This thread seems to have complete lists: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/262522-the-ninja-saviors-return-of-the-warriors/78006076 Returning characters have some moves they didn't in the SNES version, like Kunoichi's shiruken.

It's one of my favorite beat-em-ups, period. Love how differently all of the characters play. Wish it came to PC so more people could play it but at least it emulates perfectly :ssh:

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Scalding Coffee posted:

One rather old beat em up I would be looking forward to is Violent Storm.

the greatest video game soundtrack of all time

YOU BE THE HERO

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I knew that Double Dragon IV didn't have a good reputation but it was five bucks so I figured what the hell.

Holy poo poo, this is astoundingly rough. I cannot believe this was made by Arc System Works. I cannot believe Yoshihisa Kishimoto directed this.
I cannot believe that the developers looked at this and went "seems fine, ship it".

It plays like a Double Dragon asset rip fangame. The controls are sluggish, the enemy AI is laughable and frequently breaks. Hitboxes are completely unclear and utterly wild. The game manual suggests you have iframes on certain attacks - you absolutely do not and enemies will happily smack you straight out of them. Sprites clip weirdly in and around solid objects and pop in and out of existence. The sound design is utter trash. Every attempt to ape the retro aesthetic present in the NES and Arcade Double Dragon II comes off worse for the comparison. The opening menu is a bizarrely laid out, poorly thought out crime. ALT + Enter is the only way to go in and out of fullscreen. Levels feel short, ugly and uninspired. Encounter design is a mess, alternating between swarms of enemies and weirdly long stretches of no enemies at all, then maybe a single one trickled out that you absolutely clown on.

The platforming is bad but all Double Dragon platforming is bad so that's fine, that's just staying true to its predecessors.

This, as far as I can tell, is the final boss of the game.

As far as I am able to determine, your jump does not go high enough to make the jump to that other platform.

Except for some people?
Here is someone doing it with no issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBsOt-EyKrI&t=1203s

That doesn't happen for me, I cannot clear the height of the platform and fall to my death. Searching around the 'net reveals I am not alone in this problem.

Nobody appears to know why this happens.

I do not give enough of a poo poo about this game to find out and finish it.

Positives: The music's alright.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Nobody appears to know why this happens.

My first guess is that it's something having to do with the fps it's being run at.
I apparently bought Double Dragon IV at some point, looking at my steam library, but I've never played it.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Mode 7 posted:

For those who might be interested, pre-orders are up for Bitmap Books' new beat em up guide book Go Straight: The Ultimate Guide to Side Scrolling Beat 'Em Ups. Books start shipping out 25/02.
https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/go-straight-the-ultimate-guide-to-side-scrolling-beat-em-ups

I've got a couple of Bitmap's other books and they're gorgeous and well made. I've been waiting for this for ages since it was announced, very excited to see a genre that doesn't get a ton of focus/attention these days get some love and to find a few new games to try out of the write ups in the book.

This book is now out and it's amazing

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection announced for release this year, exact date TBD.
Given how these retro collections are normally shoved out, I'm surprised this is so comprehensive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaZF5bxc50

TMNT Arcade
TMNT 1, 2 and 3 for NES
TMNT 1, 2 and 3 for Game Boy
TMNT Tournament Fighters - NES, SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive versions.
TMNT Turtles in Time - Arcade, SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive (Hyperstone Heist)

Online play available for TMNT Arcade, Turtles in Time Arcade, SNES Tournament Fighters, and Hyperstone Heist. Which is a weird cross selection of games to enable online play for and I personally think SNES TMNT IV > Hyperstone Heist but hey, sure, I'll take it.

Trailer announced for PS4/PS5 but I've seen reports that it's coming to everything (and why wouldn't it) and retailing for US$39.99

Between this and Shredder's Revenge it's looking like a good year for Turtles beat 'em ups.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Lamont posted:

This book is now out and it's amazing

I meant to post a trip report about the book but I caught COVID so my reading pace has been a bit slow. It's been pretty great so far, there's some stuff in there already that I hadn't heard of. There's also a lot of stuff in there that I, personally, would not class as a beat 'em up though I appreciate that genre distinctions are fuzzy and mostly meaningless.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Mode 7 posted:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Cowabunga Collection announced for release this year, exact date TBD.
Given how these retro collections are normally shoved out, I'm surprised this is so comprehensive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlaZF5bxc50

TMNT Arcade
TMNT 1, 2 and 3 for NES
TMNT 1, 2 and 3 for Game Boy
TMNT Tournament Fighters - NES, SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive versions.
TMNT Turtles in Time - Arcade, SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive (Hyperstone Heist)

Online play available for TMNT Arcade, Turtles in Time Arcade, SNES Tournament Fighters, and Hyperstone Heist. Which is a weird cross selection of games to enable online play for and I personally think SNES TMNT IV > Hyperstone Heist but hey, sure, I'll take it.

Trailer announced for PS4/PS5 but I've seen reports that it's coming to everything (and why wouldn't it) and retailing for US$39.99

Between this and Shredder's Revenge it's looking like a good year for Turtles beat 'em ups.

Was checking around to see if this was going to have online multi for the arcade games. Glad to see that it is. Now I just need friends. :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are they gonna fix the impossible jump in the bed version?

:mad:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The DOS version is the impossible one, the NES one is just a tremendous pain in the rear end :eng101:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Oh man, people are gonna be in for a rude rear end shock when they go to play turtles in time online and it's the arcade version.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are they gonna fix the impossible jump in the bed version?

:mad:

I doubt the DOS version would even be included. Aside from that impossible jump in stage 3, there are numerous other issues with that port including a bug that can vastly increase the number of enemies you have to deal with, two of the turtles' damage being extremely nerfed (Leonardo and Raphael are mostly useful as meatshields in the later stages), sub-weapons being rare to non-existent and the final two stages having no healing pickups whatsoever.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Panzeh posted:

Oh man, people are gonna be in for a rude rear end shock when they go to play turtles in time online and it's the arcade version.

What's the difference? Almost worth it to get for Turtles in Time but I've already got it on my SNES Mini soooo I think I'll be ok. I never heard of the other games more than in passing and I don't know if they're worth it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The key difference is that while the arcade version of Turtles in Time has a much better graphical and aural presentation due to being an arcade game, plus 4 players, Konami actually took the time to refine the gameplay for the SNES version, making a beat em up that is a lot fairer and more fun to play than the looser, overly animated quarter munching arcade version. Plus they added more levels and new bosses.

For example, the iconic Rocksteady and Bebop dressed as pirates? That was only in the SNES version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAyslkGl4NU

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 10, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's the difference? Almost worth it to get for Turtles in Time but I've already got it on my SNES Mini soooo I think I'll be ok. I never heard of the other games more than in passing and I don't know if they're worth it.

Yeah, so Turtles in Time Arcade does have 4 player play and superior graphics and music to the SNES game. However, it has the very aggressive rank that is in line with the original TMNT arcade. "Rank" in this context is the game difficulty cranking up for staying on a credit. In particular, enemy quantities go up as much as six times based on when you last died.

In addition to this, pretty much every enemy has powerful antiair attacks and is very aggressive and ranged with their ground stuff. In particular, the stone soldier antiair is incredibly brutal. This combined with hitstun being random and unreliable makes even doing safe konami jumpkicks really tough. The SNES version is really forgiving about this, almost probably overcorrecting for this(stone soldiers in SNES are a joke).

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Anyone know of any resources (written or video or lurking in a disused forum somewhere) breaking down beat em up strategy/mechanics?

sithael
Nov 11, 2004
I'm a Sad Panda too!

Mode 7 posted:

Anyone know of any resources (written or video or lurking in a disused forum somewhere) breaking down beat em up strategy/mechanics?

Punch, Kick

It's all in the mind

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mode 7 posted:

Anthopants is maybe the most prolific Streets of Rage player in the world and has a video series discussing all the little mechanics and glitches behind the curtain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCBdvYi1uN4

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Anthopants is maybe the most prolific Streets of Rage player in the world and has a video series discussing all the little mechanics and glitches behind the curtain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCBdvYi1uN4

Ah sweet, this also lead me to his video of his talking about some generally applicable strategies around spacing, grouping enemies and crowd control.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h__BxgiHV0

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is he talking about when stun-locks appeared in games? He made me feel old.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

New release. Kaiju-themed beat 'em up from the developers of Runbow, published by WayForward.
Edit: Available on Steam, Switch, PS4/PS5, Xbox and, weirdly, Stadia.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1642170/Dawn_of_the_Monsters/

For the price they're asking I'm a little nervous about taking the plunge and trying it out, however I found this breakdown of the game's mechanics from the devs on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWRLPr4zfPg

- I wish more devs did stuff like this
- The move options and combo mechanics seem sound
- I'm always nervous when I see stats and upgrades in a beat em up because they can make time to kill feel absolutely gross, but the footage here makes TTK seem pretty reasonable compared to some of the trailers I'd seen
- No jumps, no throws, fairly sluggish pace. Suitable for the Kaiju theme they're going for I guess but seems weird for the two humanoid heroes that I presume are based on Ultraman and Jet Jaguar.

Looks like iconoclast has already S+ ranked the whole game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CImV1blv0ws
He's pretty positive about it and says the combat is good, but it's fairly easy and there's not much replayability there. Seems decently long though, his playthrough is 4.5 hrs.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 16, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Some news today and a new release.

For news, Streets of Rage 4 is getting a mobile release on Android/iOS on May 24th. The trailer has a few quick shots of the gameplay - the usual mobile controls as you'd expect, an on-screen virtual joystick on the left and touch buttons on the right. I'd rather play it on literally any other platform but support the game getting into the hands of as many people as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljf0tns75hs

For new releases, Jitsu Squad is now out on Steam.
Store page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1522080/Jitsu_Squad/
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMay0w33cXI

4 player co-op, with a very bright, colourful and over the top art-style. The devs describe it as having "...the accessibility and classic brawler mechanics of games like Streets of Rage and Final Fight but with the speed and intensity of fighting games games such as Marvel vs. Capcom II, Dragonball FighterZ & Super Smash Bros." There was a demo available on itch.io that I played through and while I thought the combat and combo mechanics were sound, the combat felt weightless and the consequence of giving you mooks that you can clown on with juggle combos is those mooks have a high TTK. The demo I played was pretty old though so there may have been some tweaks and polish before release - initial reviews are certainly very positive, I'll be adding this to my beat em up backlog with Dawn of the Monsters to check out somewhere down the line/on sale.

In terms of what I've been playing recently I've been tinkering with my MiSTer and have been banging my head against the arcade version of Kung Fu Master / Spartan X to limited success. Looking forward to putting some more time into this one and shooting for the 1CC.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Some news today and a new release.

For news, Streets of Rage 4 is getting a mobile release on Android/iOS on May 24th. The trailer has a few quick shots of the gameplay - the usual mobile controls as you'd expect, an on-screen virtual joystick on the left and touch buttons on the right. I'd rather play it on literally any other platform but support the game getting into the hands of as many people as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljf0tns75hs

For new releases, Jitsu Squad is now out on Steam.
Store page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1522080/Jitsu_Squad/
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMay0w33cXI

4 player co-op, with a very bright, colourful and over the top art-style. The devs describe it as having "...the accessibility and classic brawler mechanics of games like Streets of Rage and Final Fight but with the speed and intensity of fighting games games such as Marvel vs. Capcom II, Dragonball FighterZ & Super Smash Bros." There was a demo available on itch.io that I played through and while I thought the combat and combo mechanics were sound, the combat felt weightless and the consequence of giving you mooks that you can clown on with juggle combos is those mooks have a high TTK. The demo I played was pretty old though so there may have been some tweaks and polish before release - initial reviews are certainly very positive, I'll be adding this to my beat em up backlog with Dawn of the Monsters to check out somewhere down the line/on sale.

In terms of what I've been playing recently I've been tinkering with my MiSTer and have been banging my head against the arcade version of Kung Fu Master / Spartan X to limited success. Looking forward to putting some more time into this one and shooting for the 1CC.

Yeah, looking at Jitsu Squad I want to like it, but I couldn't help but notice that enemies seem very much like combo food sandbags first and foremost- one of the demo videos on Steam runs for :50 of unedited gameplay and has exactly one enemy do a windup for an attack... that it proceeds to get combo'd out of through super armor well before it looks like it'd ever go off. Maybe things are different in real gameplay or difficulty settings or something but that seems pretty dire.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

IGN has gameplay footage for the first two levels of TMNT: Shredder's Revenge up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCueGe63cL8

Looks fantastic on the whole, was grinning a lot watching the antics of the Foot soldiers in the background of the Channel 6 news stage. Lots of callbacks and nostalgic touches. Big Apple, 3PM:allears;.
Combat mechanics look pretty good, some different moves to string together, combos seem to stunlock enemies appropriately and time to kill doesn't seem through the roof. I think there's a co-op attack you can see in there where the turtles slam an enemy between their shells?

My only concerns are the giant SUPER ATTACK prompt, man I hope that can be disabled, and the voice lines are probably going to start to grate after a few levels.

Looks to be very much a tweak/update of the Arcade and Turtles in Time formula though and I'm very excited for it. I cannot believe that we still don't have a concrete release date for this thing.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
I for one love that they got the cartoon voice actors back for this. I loved hearing the voice lines!

Agreed on the "Summer" release window though. :sigh:

I'm hoping there is a physical release of the cowabunga collection besides the $150 over priced monstrosity too.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

From poking around (I wasn't aware of the limited edition, god that's gorgeous but I can't justify that expense, if it even makes it to Australia) there is in fact a standard edition of the Cowabunga Collection getting a physical release, it's up at Amazon.

Pretty stacked year of releases/re-releases for a dead genre - Sifu, River City Girls Zero, Dawn of the Monsters and Jitsu Squad already out and River City Girls 2, TMNT Cowabunga Collection and TMNT Shredder's Revenge all this year.

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 21, 2022

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Mode 7 posted:

From poking around (I wasn't aware of the limited edition, god that's gorgeous but I can't justify that expensive, if it even makes it to Australia) there is in fact a standard edition of the Cowabunga Collection getting a physical release, it's up at Amazon.

Pretty stacked year of releases/re-releases for a dead genre - Sifu, River City Girls Zero, Dawn of the Monsters and Jitsu Squad already out and River City Girls 2, TMNT Cowabunga Collection and TMNT Shredder's Revenge all this year.

Thanks for the heads up! Ordering now!

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah, looking at Jitsu Squad I want to like it, but I couldn't help but notice that enemies seem very much like combo food sandbags first and foremost- one of the demo videos on Steam runs for :50 of unedited gameplay and has exactly one enemy do a windup for an attack... that it proceeds to get combo'd out of through super armor well before it looks like it'd ever go off. Maybe things are different in real gameplay or difficulty settings or something but that seems pretty dire.

I recently played through Jitsu Squad and had a good time. It is certainly combo heavy but I like that kind of thing (Guardian Heroes, SoR4, Fight n Rage, etc...). You still have to make decisions about threat prioritization and can't just ToD everything mindlessly (unless you're in the powered up form). There's also a parry mechanic that is pretty cool and pretty much required for the boss fights from my experience. A couple meters to manage and good sub weapons.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Been playing Scott Pilgrim lately after I had a friend over and we needed some couch multiplayer games. I think it's a great beat-em-up IF you've levelled up significantly. The game is weird about starting you off so weak and underskilled. I only have one character at full power, using a cash glitch, and even that was tedious to do. Don't want to know how long or how many playthroughs it would take normally.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Played Shredders Revenge at PAX East this weekend. It feels like an upgrade to turtles in time to me. The sports aren't so frequent to be frustratingly in your face, and the combat is fun.

With that said, it's nowhere as deep as the new Streets of Rage, and MUCH faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Upgraded Turtles in Time was pretty much all I wanted out of it so that's promising to hear.