Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

McSpanky posted:

^ lol

Yes, a lot of them did, and they were dumb and not worth listening to, and not everyone with an issue can be painted with the same brush. Also, this is a prequel and faces the additional issue of "why are you changing something that results in a discontinuity with a later example from further in the timeline". "Because that was the 1960s" isn't a sufficient excuse, there are literal dozens of both fan-made and official examples of updates that are more aesthetically faithful and respectful to the original than these efforts. I'm playing one of them right now, and it's a drat free-to-play MMO that revised things to be more accurate over time.

I'm just not entirely convinced that continuity is all that important, especially in a franchise that's 56 years old and consists of 13 movies and 11 tv shows along with a bunch of related media, like TV specials and games and such. I get people being upset by massive changes to character motivations....if a character in one episode is portrayed as a kind and caring person and then in the next is a sadistic mass murderer or something, that's obviously jarring, but complaining because in TOS, the communicator chirped and in the Strange New Worlds trailer, the communicator made a sound like a ringtone? It just seems like fetishization of incidental effects to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

But that's the thing, they are using that nostalgia for marketing, it's supposed to be a cool moment for fans, but then loving up the execution ruins it.

Begging the question again, who was that originally for to begin with?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Star Trek: THERE ARE *TWO* BEEPS

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Star Trek: THERE ARE *TWO* BEEPS

I'm really proud of the fact that my thread title has stuck around so long but regardless I vote for this

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
yeah, I'd just chalk it up to someone deciding the activation sound is more iconic or tested better or whatever

I've barely seen any of TOS outside the movies so it didn't even register to me until I read this thread

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

bull3964 posted:

But that's the thing, they are using that nostalgia for marketing, it's supposed to be a cool moment for fans, but then loving up the execution ruins it.

People like me, who remember TOS fondly but don't actually remember or care what the communicator sounded like?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Even his death he is still skeeving me out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Wait, you can kill a cardie by just pushing your finger into their spoon?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

happyhippy posted:

It seems super obvious in hindsight.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

happyhippy posted:

Miles o'Brien, hero of Setlik III, armed with nought but a stiff wooden dowel, killed 37 Cardies that day

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Pegger O'Brien, they called him

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

happyhippy posted:

It’s their shutdown switch.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Evolutionary version of the spot you have to shoot to cause damage on the level boss

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Epicurius posted:

I'm just not entirely convinced that continuity is all that important, especially in a franchise that's 56 years old and consists of 13 movies and 11 tv shows along with a bunch of related media, like TV specials and games and such. I get people being upset by massive changes to character motivations....if a character in one episode is portrayed as a kind and caring person and then in the next is a sadistic mass murderer or something, that's obviously jarring, but complaining because in TOS, the communicator chirped and in the Strange New Worlds trailer, the communicator made a sound like a ringtone? It just seems like fetishization of incidental effects to me.

It's very important that all Star Trek communication devices make the same sound universally, just like in real life phones.

Edit: Pike is a classical music snob who set his communicator to play Baby Got Back.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

happyhippy posted:

I hope green poo poo oozes out like when they stabbed those clone guys in X-Files

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

He’s never looked better :buddy:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Same thing as the "we're real fans, we read the same wikipedia articles" easter eggs in Disco and Picard. Respect for the macro is reflected in the micro, and vice versa.

Things like this are like the suits wanting Enterprise to just be a straight-up Akira, or Disco's [stack overflow error] -- they're small and easy to miss or care about, sure. The same way all the birds flying away from the shore is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

He’s never looked better :buddy:

I bet Evil Timeline Picard calls up Kira every year and puppets Dukat’s skull around reminding her he boned her mom

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Attention, Bone-joran workers...

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

bull3964 posted:

I've been obsessing about Star Trek for 30 loving years and didn't even notice this.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Th actual worst part of the New Worlds trailer is that the horse didn’t immediately get spooked and throw it’s rider after getting buzzed by a shuttle.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i have finally convinced a friend to watch ds9 with me from the start and im trying to decide if i should subject them to every episode or if i should be more sparing with seasons 1 and 2 to get to the good, meaty episodes quicker because sometimes they have a short attention span for stuff like this

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If they're losing attention then yeah skip ahead, especially the first few seasons

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If it's for a friend, yeah, you can definitely shorten season 1 of DS9 a bit to get to the good stuff. I think season 2 is pretty much solid though, unless season 1 didn't go too well. (Well, except Melora. Always skip Melora.)

My season 1 essentials would be:

• Emissary
  • Past Prologue
  • Babel
  • Dax
  • The Nagus
  • Vortex
  • Battle Lines
  • Progress
  • The Forsaken
  • Duet
  • In the Hands of the Prophets

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

bull3964 posted:

The communicator is kinda annoying not because they changed the sound, but they substituted one sound for another.

The sound for an incoming call is just two long beeps. That's the sound when you open it.

I can understand some exec seeing a trailer for that with just the two long beeps and going "that's no iconic enough, doesn't it make a different chirping sound?"

I seem to recall a TOS episode where Kirk was visibly annoyed by the communicator noises. Anybody else remember this?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I think the short version for Season 1 is watch all the Kira and Odo episodes. Also Past Prologue because Garak

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Animal-Mother posted:

Attention, Bone-joran workers...

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l9_OPrXHPYiclk-dWNAzMtsXcXm5v41WI

The music of Star Trek has always been a huge part of the experience for me over the years.

Somebody uploaded the TOS Season 3 soundtrack which has some great and memorable bits in it.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I just watched Lower Decks season 2 and…holy moly they did it. They made a trek that an old fogey like me likes.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I just watched Lower Decks season 2 and…holy moly they did it. They made a trek that an old fogey like me likes.

Same, and they did it without being casually disrespectful of what came before, actually the exact opposite! Funny, that.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
There's always the possibility that the "ringtone" was added in for just the trailer.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Same, and they did it without being casually disrespectful of what came before, actually the exact opposite! Funny, that.

It's probably very embarrassing for me to admit, but the TO BE CONTINUED at the end of the season actually made me feel like a kid watching season-enders of TNG. Like...that pull out from the Cerritos? An amazing shot. I think everyone respects the effort they put in to the ships and space on that show but like...it was a moving shot that actually had thematic weight

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0NZz6S_WFU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bltzn posted:

There's always the possibility that the "ringtone" was added in for just the trailer.

Or that fans gettin' Mad Online about it will get them to update it before release.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I hope they add a full-on Nokia ringtone to it again just so everyone complaining about it has another 20-page meltdown

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i hope they make it play beasty boys

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
It should have made the TNG communicator beep for maximum nerd psyche damage.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Penitent posted:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_l9_OPrXHPYiclk-dWNAzMtsXcXm5v41WI

The music of Star Trek has always been a huge part of the experience for me over the years.

Somebody uploaded the TOS Season 3 soundtrack which has some great and memorable bits in it.

That's not the season 3 soundtrack, that's just "volume 3".

La La Lands did a boxset of the entire series soundtrack about... oh wow, ten years ago now.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's not the season 3 soundtrack, that's just "volume 3".

La La Lands did a boxset of the entire series soundtrack about... oh wow, ten years ago now.

... that makes a lot more sense considering I'm remembering the 'Ruth' theme being used in earlier episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

Or that fans gettin' Mad Online about it will get them to update it before release.

The interesting thing though is that unlike Star Wars, Star Trek just seems to quietly plug along doing its own thing its own way generally oblivious to, or actively ignoring all the brainpopping nerd ragers, whereas Star Wars caters to their every whim through reactive panic after reactive panic and can never get ahead of that curve because they simply find something new to get mad at.

There's probably some intern at CBS whose job is to routinely run up to Alex Kurtzman and tell him that people think Star Trek Discovery absolutely blows a whole farm's worth of donkey nuts and then walk away dejected when Kurtzman just blankly looks at him and goes "And...?"