Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

maybe as a car-with-a-squared-off-front owner (From 2000) i am biased but i don't think it looks that weird in profile? the acrua grille design language is aggressively dumb but like what are you expecting here?

I think its just exacerbated by how tall the sides of cars are now, like, an 89 ford LTD with sides as tall as a modern car would also look like a crazy brick wall, and that wasn't even a good looking car to begin with.

Or maybe its the bumpers disappearing into the fronts so theres no extra bit sticking out that kind of steps down the profile. Its hard to tell how much is actual dimensional differences and how much is optical illusions of design.

I mean there are some cars it works on, I remember how ugly the 90's early 00's mustangs were and how much better they looked when they started aping the old big flat front look.

I guess, I don't know, on something like the integra I want to see something that looks.... a little sleeker and tapered, instead of the polar opposite and VERY 'brick with a bubble on top' like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

After disappointing us with the new WRX I really didnt think there was anywhere to go but Up.
Hats off to you Subaru!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Too ugly to live

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Subaru finally ran out of EJs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Subarus market share has gone from around 1.5% to around 4% of the US market during the EJ257s run. From 200k vehicles per year to 700k.

You would thing they would be making enough money to do something cool.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Surprised the STI lasted as long as it did after the Evo died

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Powershift posted:

Subarus market share has gone from around 1.5% to around 4% of the US market during the EJ257s run. From 200k vehicles per year to 700k.

They're making money precisely because they don't do anything cool (at least not without getting Toyota to throw them some money)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

dissss posted:

They're making money precisely because they don't do anything cool (at least not without getting Toyota to throw them some money)

By throw some money you mean fund the entire project in exchange for the engine.

Whenever someone asks “why doesn’t Subaru do xyz with the brz?”; the answer is because daddy Toyoda said so.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
2004-2021 is a pretty good run tbh

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I'm gonna take a big puff of copium and say that maybe they're gonna release an STI after a mid-cycle refresh of the current WRX after the backlash from that.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm gonna take a big puff of copium and say that maybe they're gonna release an STI after a mid-cycle refresh of the current WRX after the backlash from that.

Subaru Ascent STI

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
“a next generation internal combustion engine WRX STI will not be produced based upon the new WRX platform.”

it’s just a little airborne, it’s still good it’s still good

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Powershift posted:

Instead they've half-assed the WRX so completely I wonder why they bothered making it at all.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

bring back forester sti, cowards

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

smooth jazz posted:

bring back forester sti, cowards

here you go
[forester sti with a cvt]

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I still die laughing thinking about when Subaru was like "its stupid to offer a turbo Forester. No one wants or cares about a turbo model."
And then they turn around and bring back the Outback XT.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BraveUlysses posted:

2004-2021 is a pretty good run tbh

WRX STI's been around since the early 90's.

cursedshitbox posted:

here you go
[forester sti with a cvt]

Which did exist. Sold about as well as you would expect. And of course Subaru took that to mean no one wanted a turbo Forester anymore rather than people wanted a Forster turbo that didnt suck

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

here you go
[generic six hunnert HP electric forester sti]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

WRX STI's been around since the early 90's.

Which did exist. Sold about as well as you would expect. And of course Subaru took that to mean no one wanted a turbo Forester anymore rather than people wanted a Forster turbo that didnt suck

Im just referring to the 17 model years of 2.5 ej sti that they sold here in the us

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

At least in the US I don’t think people want a Forester turbo at all, whether it sucks or not.

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.
I helped get my then 51yo mom behind the wheel of a new WRB 07 Forester Sports XT. Previously she was a GM diehard, owning a series of small block 350 cars & trucks, it was a huge upgrade.

She loved that XT til the day it was unfairly taken from us by a Dominos driver t-boning it. The 2009 Forester XT that replaced it is still with her, but she endlessly complains about the handling/style, saying she feels like she got downgraded back to a GM product. Ha ha :(

RIP STi, you had a good run.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

At least in the US I don’t think people want a Forester turbo at all, whether it sucks or not.

But, I mean, if I did want a Forester, I'd want it to have at least 250hp.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

Doing cool things is what sends you back to 1.5 %.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Elephanthead posted:

Doing cool things is what sends you back to 1.5 %.

Yet somehow Porsche is doing this exact thing right somehow, expanding their reach into SUVs and CUVs but not compromising on what makes them special. Weird!

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KakerMix posted:

Yet somehow Porsche is doing this exact thing right somehow, expanding their reach into SUVs and CUVs but not compromising on what makes them special. Weird!

You know the Cayman is going electric soon right?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

KakerMix posted:

If Subaru could sell STIs for 80k they’d probably still make them.

They also put a turbo-4 in the cayman and Boxster.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If Subaru could sell STIs for 80k they’d probably still make them.

They also put a turbo-4 in the cayman and Boxster.

And your average 718 customer probably doesn't know/care. But if they do care, there's a GT$$$$ version you can pony up for.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
suggesting that a mass market brand should be more like Porsche so simple!!! is an insane consultant brain thing to say

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

suggesting that a mass market brand should be more like Porsche so simple!!! is an insane consultant brain thing to say

As a consultant, I can verify that we are only able to solve problems when the solution is extremely custom and expensive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I was pointing out that Porsche somehow made it to where they can spit out a ton of SUVs and CUVs to the general public yet maintained what makes them 'Porsche'. The die-hards for Porsche are worlds more particular and powerful than any that could possibly exist with Subaru.
Subaru is not Porsche, Porsche had it harder trying to balance those two worlds yet did it anyway. Saved their company in the process yet kept their soul. Saying Subaru can't do it is just as dumb as saying they should be exactly like Porsche.

Stop making excuses for giant monolithic companies, they gently caress up all the time :colbert:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've been wondering if the US car market is heading towards the state of the US housing market: Only luxury options will exist in the new market, everybody else can make do with used.

The median new car purchase price is like $48k this year, right? Porsche prices have been increasing much more slowly than the new car market as a whole, meaning that in a couple of years, a Porsche Macan may cost less than the normal new car, and shortly thereafter a Cayman would also be cheap.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Twerk from Home posted:

I've been wondering if the US car market is heading towards the state of the US housing market: Only luxury options will exist in the new market, everybody else can make do with used.

The median new car purchase price is like $48k this year, right? Porsche prices have been increasing much more slowly than the new car market as a whole, meaning that in a couple of years, a Porsche Macan may cost less than the normal new car, and shortly thereafter a Cayman would also be cheap.

yeah although keep in mind it doesn't control for the car being purchased. the mix has shifted to more high dollar SUVs, pickup trucks, luxury vehicles, etc. cars are still available at the lower end of the spectrum.

i think your thoughts about evolution of the market in to primarily high dollar cars for new car buyers at the upper end of income are accurate. part of this is possible because of increasing reliability and longevity of cars where 5-10 year old used vehicles are a very viable option for people on a budget. still depressing and yet another huge income inequality red flag.

if porsche sees an opportunity to increase prices they certainly will. recent price inflation is kind of crazy and difficult to react to.

KakerMix posted:

I was pointing out that Porsche somehow made it to where they can spit out a ton of SUVs and CUVs to the general public yet maintained what makes them 'Porsche'. The die-hards for Porsche are worlds more particular and powerful than any that could possibly exist with Subaru.
Subaru is not Porsche, Porsche had it harder trying to balance those two worlds yet did it anyway. Saved their company in the process yet kept their soul. Saying Subaru can't do it is just as dumb as saying they should be exactly like Porsche.

Stop making excuses for giant monolithic companies, they gently caress up all the time :colbert:

subaru does not give one gently caress about the enthusiast market. they are doing exactly what they intend to do and are ragingly successful at it. like how are you defining subaru loving up? they're out here to make money. subaru is more successful than it has ever been and they got there by ignoring enthusiasts.

edit: to elaborate, Porsche being Porsche with a luxury-performance 911 style image enables them to sell a ton of SUVs and CUVs to the general public. it's a brand differentiator. the average subaru driver bought their Forester because they like the ads with dogs in them and they go camping sometimes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Twerk from Home posted:

The median income in the US has been around $30k for quite some time. Even when new cars could be had under $15k, they were out of reach of the vast majority of Americans out there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

bull3964 posted:

The median income in the US has been around $30k for quite some time. Even when new cars could be had under $15k, they were out of reach of the vast majority of Americans out there.

The median income for full time and salaried workers is about 51k, and that’s a group that accounts about 116 million people, so it’s not quite as dire as you’re making it out to be. But yes, generally people afford new cars by financing them for a very long time and never paying them off.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

subaru does not give one gently caress about the enthusiast market. they are doing exactly what they intend to do and are ragingly successful at it. like how are you defining subaru loving up? they're out here to make money. subaru is more successful than it has ever been and they got there by ignoring enthusiasts.

Subaru was supply constrained for yeeeeeears so the lower sales numbers they had were simply they couldnt get stock fast enough and enthusuists are actually a good part of how they developed their rabid fanbase as the "rally car company". Those performace versions they kept making 10 years ago did not hang around dealerships. The number of homes where the wife gets an Outback and the husband get the WRX arent just something for my driveway.

The actual fact is that their success was built 10-15 years ago when they had a range considerably better cars than the turds they are making GBS threads out now. They can coast on that for a few more years but I would suggest when there is nothing left to draw people into showrooms other than cars more bland and boring than Camrys then they are setting themselves up to fail. Especially with the switchover to hybrids and EV's gathering pace, why should I look at a Subaru when down the road Kai and Hyundai are knocking it out of the park with their offerings?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't know how you can say that in a world where new 911s, not even GT3s, are going for $150-200K+, which is knocking on the door of entry-level Lamborghini money vs. just a couple of years ago. And there is absolutely insane demand even at that price point

e: my friend, who has two 911s on order that he absolutely doesn't need (which drives me insane), wants to flip his slots for >$10K (which drives me double insane). That speculative dynamic, I suspect, doesn't exist for Subaru and others

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
How the gently caress does everyone have so much money lol

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I am allegedly in an income bracket that should be able to afford these new 45k median cars, but holy poo poo the idea of spending that much money on a vehicle right now makes me want to vomit.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BrownieVK posted:

How the gently caress does everyone have so much money lol

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But yes, generally people afford new cars by financing them for a very long time and never paying them off.

When I bought my car 3 years ago, I made the choice to buy a new $22,000 car rather than take that 22K and be a down payment on something much nicer. I think many people would make the opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The very first image you see at Subaru's website. Their marketing certainly wants you to think they care.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The actual fact is that their success was built 10-15 years ago when they had a range considerably better cars than the turds they are making GBS threads out now. They can coast on that for a few more years but I would suggest when there is nothing left to draw people into showrooms other than cars more bland and boring than Camrys then they are setting themselves up to fail. Especially with the switchover to hybrids and EV's gathering pace, why should I look at a Subaru when down the road Kai and Hyundai are knocking it out of the park with their offerings?

This exactly, yeah.