Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1502719026522431492?s=20&t=arfAJMzBzhtZJfg69Amdqw

Please be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Oh, so they did get the fancy modern version. Someone wasn't stingy when sending those.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Tomn posted:

How much does the stock market actually invest in the real economy, though? I don't know much about stocks, but my understanding is that only the IPO really sees money going directly to the company in question, and afterwards they'll only see more money if the company sells more of its shares, which comes with its own dangers if it allows someone to become a majority stakeholder. Isn't every other stock activity basically traders buying and selling from each other for arbitrage purposes without the money ever seeing anyone but the stock traders themselves, with the company itself only indirectly affected by the value of the shares they hold going up or down?

Again, I know very little about financing and stocks, just wondering how much the stock market actually helps with foreign investments in the country.

It isn't really investment as such - but it's currency flowing into the country when foreign investors buy shares. The money doesn't flow to the companies (outside of IPOs and emissions) - but the domestic shareholders profit from outside investment. This is much more important for non-US economies. Foreign investment in Russian stock makes Russian pension funds and Russian oligarchs richer.

But what I tried to describe before was the effect on inflow of foreign currency. If someone located in China wants to buy Russian stocks on MOEX - they can't do that using Chinese yuan. The investor has to buy rubles first, and then the stock (as it has to paid for in rubles). Usually that is handled by the investment platform / brokerage, so it just looks like a cost to the investor, but in practice currency is being exchanged. Russia is currently starved of foreign currency due to sanctions and foreign businesses withdrawing. They need foreign currency to buy stuff from other countries - so inflow is important. Having a closed stock market means yet another source of foreign currency is unavailable.

This is a big reason developing (and smaller wealthy) countries basically spend marketing money on attracting foreign investors. It creates inflow of foreign currency without having to actually export anything. Turkish economy is completely in the gutter right now - I don't know if Bayraktar is made by a company listed on a the Istanbul stock exchange, but if it is, there is going to be tons of foreign investors wanting to buy those shares and every single such transaction will bring foreign currency. If the stock is traded over and over because it is popular or volatile - the investors either need to buy Turkish Lira over and over.

So not having a stock exchange is a really bad thing for an economy, unless everything has crashed and you want to avoid the wrong people buying up everything. Also, if foreign investors are *selling* they will be paid in rubles - and they will then exchange those rubles for yuan/dollars/euros putting a downward pressure on the currency.

PederP fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 12, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If this is actually true then it would significantly tilt me toward 'jesus they might actually win'. I've absolutely assumed that Mariupol was being deliberately left to suffer in order to buy time for the inevitable retreat west.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

KitConstantine posted:

More maps just dropped. I think these two go well together for comparison
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1502686874393092097?t=wudUwRpfbI2Nj4wjeSKPTg&s=19
Same story: Russia is making better progress in the east and south, stalls and even reverses in the north, wait and see.

I think it is obvious that Russia is going to make a major push on Kyiv in the next week which will be the deciding factor in the war. If the Ukrainians defeat them soundly it basically ends the Northern theater almost entirely. They can then push their forces toward the South and taking back territory there. The big question at that point is if they go into Crimea first and take that cutting off that supply route or push east entirely to the Russian border. There are pluses and minuses to both.

There is also the question of at what point would Russia decide to cut their losses and run? One would think if they lose their attack on Kyiv the smart move would be to cut and run then. If the Ukrainians win and push to the South the chances of them losing what they gained before increases greatly. Especially since supplies from the West would be able to reach the fronts much faster.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Normal economy

Morrow posted:

What does a stock market ultimately do? It let's you assess the value of privately owned companies and allows those companies to raise money for investment by selling stock shares. Russia can keep the market closed until it needs to do that again.
Keeping the market closed indefinitely does make it clear to anyone who follows it that poo poo is badly hosed whatever the government is saying to the contrary.

Alchenar posted:

The real issue behind the 'we will strike arms shipments' statement is that it highlights the difference between Western and Russian politicians when making these kinds of statements. Every time Biden or Stoltenberg speaks it's to lay out crystal clear lines on what the US/NATO will/will not do (ie. no fighting in Ukraine, defend every inch of NATO soil). Ryabkov says 'arms convoys are legitimate targets' and leaves ambiguous whether he means in Ukraine or in transit to Ukraine. Now obviously Russia isn't going to conduct airstrikes into Poland... but they might. What if they send an Iskander to hit the border point, does that count?

The point is that we make the mistake of providing clarity (to reassure domestic audiences) whereas Russia is quite happy to leave ambiguity over their willingness to escalate open in order to get us to constrain ourselves further.
The biggest issue is that if they can’t reliably hit these shipments from the air they might start using short range ballistic missiles and it’s quite possible one goes off course and lands in Poland.

Drone_Fragger posted:

I mean it's fairly apparent that the plan was to defend kyiv and the west of ukraine by using the south to stall the Russian advance. If it was a good play, I'm not sure, but it's what's happening.

Some might say defending the entrance from Crimea should of been a priority since that would be a location where there's only a couple of major crossings for vehicles to use and the Russian numbers would of become worthless.
The terrain in the south is flatter and drier so it’s much harder to defend. In the north a small strongpoint could hold up an entire armoured column because the mud and forest means it can’t be outflanked and the only way to get through it is to unpack your artillery and level it before moving onto the next strongpoint and repeating the process.

In the south they’d just be circling around the defenders and hitting them from all sides. By not defending those areas as determinedly Ukraine is giving up territory but conserving forces because committing to defending it would consume whatever they throw at it and probably not achieve a better outcome than the current situation.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

PederP posted:

So not having a stock exchange is a really bad thing for an economy, unless everything has crashed and you want to avoid the wrong people buying up everything.

Yeah about that...

That specifically makes a ton more sense when you realize that foreign investment could essentially buy a large chunk of the country for a couple rubles on the dollar.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

There's still a 30 mile highway from there to Mariupol if it is, which doesn't seem like a given to secure/be able to use. But, yes. Please, anything that makes this easier to end.

cr0y posted:

Yeah about that...

That specifically makes a ton more sense when you realize that foreign investment could essentially buy a large chunk of the country for a couple rubles on the dollar.

Something the PRC's been doing to every country with World Bank/IMF debt for years. I'd be wary of that too.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 12, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

DOOMocrat posted:

There's still a 30 mile highway from there to Mariupol if it is, which doesn't seem like a given to secure/be able to use. But, yes. Please, anything that makes this easier to end.

That’s probably close enough that Ukrainian artillery can hit the besieging forces

TearsOfPirates
Jun 11, 2016

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes! - Idiot of idiots, to trust what is written!
https://twitter.com/biannagolodryga/status/1502696598542893061

Never thought i'd see someone getting in jail for this, but that's the world we're living in I guess.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TearsOfPirates posted:

Never thought i'd see something getting in jail for this, but that's the world we're living in I guess.

what a great idea really, you don't even need to write anything on the thing you're holding, it's already obvious what it's supposed to say

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

what a great idea really, you don't even need to write anything on the thing you're holding, it's already obvious what it's supposed to say
A drawing of dickbutt?

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If I'm being sent to a Russian prison, where tuberculosis and new forms of hepatitis are rampant, armchair badass me thinks I'd prefer to do the thing I'm being jailed for, for real.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TearsOfPirates posted:

Never thought i'd see someone getting in jail for this, but that's the world we're living in I guess.

No you see it's actually a white flag, she's suggesting surrender

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, I don't really grasp the purpose of peaceful protest in Russia. Like, I'm not clear on what exactly people are expecting to achieve. It seems noble sure but just obviously futile.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Murgos posted:

There is no law saying you can’t trade arms with a country during a war.

This is more of Russia just making up CalvinBall rules and assuming the size of their cock means everyone else will comply.

Trading arms doesn’t make you a belligerent no matter how much rhetoric Putin uses.

Here's hoping Putin orders unrestricted submarine war to stop Americans from supplying Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tuna-Fish posted:

There were substantial forces defending there. They got absolutely trashed in the first few days.

Doesn’t seem to be the case, from what I’ve heard at least, that the forces were substantial right at the Crimea border. The force there was relatively lightweight and with second rate equipment, according to the accounts of one of the brigade commanders down there iirc.

It unlikely was realistic or planned to hold them there in the long term to begin with - Ukrainian tacticians seem to like defence in depth, and Crimea had a giant Russian military base, and would have had well oiled logistics for a frontline struggle right out the gate.

Now, their more likely plan, to hold a concave around Dnipro and like Melitopol, did also not work, but that’s a different story.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Mar 12, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DOOMocrat posted:

If I'm being sent to a Russian prison, where tuberculosis and new forms of hepatitis are rampant, armchair badass me thinks I'd prefer to do the thing I'm being jailed for, for real.
While we can surely guess what she's trying to say, it makes what she's arrested for 'The act of potentially disagreeing with the government in public' not 'saying down with Putin, up with Zelensky'.

I don't know about Russia but even here in America there are many people who would be troubled by the first but not by the equivalent of the second.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

hmm according to this recent video Mariupol has fallen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGiPJOIYQEo

edit: southeast outskirts of Mariupol :doh:

SaTaMaS fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 12, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I don't really grasp the purpose of peaceful protest in Russia. Like, I'm not clear on what exactly people are expecting to achieve. It seems noble sure but just obviously futile.

Some people are willing to suffer or die for their ideals. Even if they change nothing the act of protesting helps counter government propaganda.

It is insanely risky but some people are willing to take that risk.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SaTaMaS posted:

hmm according to this recent video Mariupol has fallen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGiPJOIYQEo

Listen to the video more carefully.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Some people are willing to suffer or die for their ideals. Even if they change nothing the act of protesting helps counter government propaganda.

It is insanely risky but some people are willing to take that risk.

Eh, this only works if information about the fact that the protest is happening is disseminated.
Which in Russia, it is not - you will only find information about protests if you are actively looking for it

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PederP posted:

So not having a stock exchange is a really bad thing for an economy, unless everything has crashed and you want to avoid the wrong people buying up everything. Also, if foreign investors are *selling* they will be paid in rubles - and they will then exchange those rubles for yuan/dollars/euros putting a downward pressure on the currency.

Even if the stock exchange reopens, they did enact a separate law after the big sanctions were brought in, which bans foreigners from selling assets on the exchange.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

nutri_void posted:

Eh, this only works if information about the fact that the protest is happening is disseminated.
Which in Russia, it is not - you will only find information about protests if you are actively looking for it

They're acting on a very old-fashioned theory of non-violent protest: each and every pair of eyes that sees you show up and get arrested matters in the long run. They're not playing for the instant social media clicks, they're fighting just to keep some kind of awareness and flame of resistance alive in the darkness. As one activist put it, when you're in that mindset, "It is the job of the police to beat and repress us, it is our job to organize and resist". You just go and do your job.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

For some reason I’m remembering hearing the Russians only actually took Volnovakha in the last day or two—if that’s correct I wouldn’t say that retaking it would really break the siege.
Also just as a general point it seems like “OSINT defender” is much more optimistic/willing to take UA propaganda seriously than other accounts like “OSINT technical.” I wouldn’t take stuff they say super seriously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nutri_void posted:

People still have eyes and ears. Protesting existed before social media. And each person who is arrested or beaten is someone's family member or friend and they remember that.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Antigravitas posted:

Oh, so they did get the fancy modern version. Someone wasn't stingy when sending those.

How much of Germany's increase in military spending is just going straight to equipment getting funneled to Ukraine?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

smug n stuff posted:

For some reason I’m remembering hearing the Russians only actually took Volnovakha in the last day or two—if that’s correct I wouldn’t say that retaking it would really break the siege.
Also just as a general point it seems like “OSINT defender” is much more optimistic/willing to take UA propaganda seriously than other accounts like “OSINT technical.” I wouldn’t take stuff they say super seriously.

Yes, I also remember Volnovakha being mentioned yesterday and possibly the day before.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cgeq posted:

How much of Germany's increase in military spending is just going straight to equipment getting funneled to Ukraine?

None, it's going to McKinsey :v:

(I am joking, or am I?)

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

cgeq posted:

Apropos, what concrete news of weapon shipments have we heard this week, besides the UK Startreak+javelin?

And just as I posted this I see the US have given a $200 million credit to Ukraine to buy stuff from US war stocks or other military support.

Trump fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 12, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

barbecue at the folks posted:

They're acting on a very old-fashioned theory of non-violent protest: each and every pair of eyes that sees you show up and get arrested matters in the long run. They're not playing for the instant social media clicks, they're fighting just to keep some kind of awareness and flame of resistance alive in the darkness. As one activist put it, when you're in that mindset, "It is the job of the police to beat and repress us, it is our job to organize and resist". You just go and do your job.

Personal psychology/philosophy can play into it too. You COULD keep your head down, toe the line, follow the orders, and be a good little cog in the machine, accepting your place as a powerless and helpless pawn with no agency tossed around by the whims of the powerful. Or you can exert agency in your life, make a choice of your own, make a stand against everything arrayed before you and even if it causes you to suffer terribly for it it is still a choice that YOU made, your own entirely, and not that of the state and society at large and in the eyes of some that makes life more worth living than to be, as Zelensky put it, an emptiness that breathes and walks and eats something.

You find meaning in your life somewhere, and some folks find it in protesting injustice no matter what. I dunno if I could do that myself, but I respect the mindset.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The status of global peace over the next decade depends on Putin eating poo poo and scaring all other autocrats away from wars of conquest built on lies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cgeq posted:

I don't know if Germany's budget hike has even been officially authorized yet, but I imagine right NOW the NATO countries are giving Ukraine stockpiled equipment. There has probably not been a lot of new manufacturing yet since, despite what it may feel like, this war is less than a month old

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

TearsOfPirates posted:

That is literal Thought Crime.

The sign can be blank, but if it provokes a thought that everyone already thinks contrary to what the State allows, it is a crime.

I know there's Whataboutism with American protests, but Putin is going back to the Good Ol' Days of absolute suppression of thought.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

MadJackal posted:

The status of global peace over the next decade depends on Putin eating poo poo and scaring all other autocrats away from wars of conquest built on lies.

China is definitely going to take Taiwan in the near future regardless of how this plays out. The real lesson here is hyper-capitalist mafia states cut corners.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

MadJackal posted:

On the contrary, I fully expect Western adventurism to increase by combining a remilitarization of Europe with Russia proved a tangibly ineffective but politically convenient boogeyman.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Conspiratiorist posted:

On the contrary, I fully expect Western adventurism to increase by combining a remilitarization of Europe with Russia proved a tangibly ineffective but politically convenient boogeyman.

At some point America is going to get bored and take a run at Iran where we’ll be learning the same lessons Russia is learning now.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Yet another 'It's about logistics, stupid' thread, but with some hard numbers attached - specifically issues that truck losses/lack of trucks to start with are placing on Russian logistics.
https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1502732467165409287?s=20&t=rjUU4aNargR30weznWawZw
https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1502732471464509443?s=20&t=rjUU4aNargR30weznWawZw

quote:

Indeed, most Russian thrusts seem to have stopped dead after going forward something close to the original 140km. Even after 16 days of war, they are having great difficulties getting units beyond that distance from their home supply dumps. This, btw, is directly the opposite of what the Russians should be doing according to their doctrine--which is to be fast moving to exploit openings, and adjusting flexibly to the opportunities allowed by battle.

What we see is the opposite of this. Mostly short, equidistant thrusts, with a few, slow, halting longer movements which are taking much longer to occur than the Russians would like.The Russian campaign seems to be being controlled by logistic limitations, severely restricted by Ukrainian attacks on their trucks. Logistics rule because they limit.
Referenced War on the Rocks piece from Nov 2021: https://warontherocks.com/2021/11/feeding-the-bear-a-closer-look-at-russian-army-logistics/
Credentials of the poster: "Professor of Strategic Studies, University St Andrews, Author: How the War was Won, and Second Most Powerful Man in the World. Editor in Chief, War in History"

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

cgeq posted:

Probably not much.
You have to understand that the 100billion number is just a vehicle to skirt around the Constitutional debt break while increasing the military spending to >2% of GDP. In effect this will mean that Germany spends around 20bil per year more on the Bundeswehr.
Just to demonstrate how underfunded the Bundeswehr is - It will cost around 20-30bil to fill ammo storages to the NATO recommended level of 30 combat days of ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

If so just hope it's the siege is broken long enough to get people out and supplies in. As, if true, this seems to be a very calculated move to break the siege so hopefully they've got everything in place to do as much as they can to help Mariupol in what ever time they realistically have (god it would be great if they can actually hold it).