Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

Anyway, today is the day we've been dreading for years, because...

(deep, shuddering sigh)

:siren: LES MOORE GETS HIS UNDESERVED VICTORY LAP :siren:

She delivers the moment of truth directly to the reader. TomBat is mocking us.

Of course, this strip having the history it does, maybe he dropped the popcorn because he had a stroke

AAAHHHHGH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Oooo, that's one of the ones from Life. And that's from Carl Anderson, the guy who created Henry.

(deep, shuddering sigh)

Of course, this strip having the history it does, maybe he dropped the popcorn because he had a stroke

there needs to be a better word for mawkish

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

EasyEW posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

The 1945 on the back of the picture confirms that yes, these are still reruns from something like 40 or 50 years ago.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Mawkish would be talking about cancerwife, what we have there is just masturbatory.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EBB posted:

Garbage made by a hack

:buddy:

A tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Darthemed posted:

drat, that's some beautiful contour shading.

I really have to say, I liked Dark Laughter more in concept than the actual comic, mostly because I could never make out what the hell was happening. But whether it's because of improved scans or a deliberate art shift Dark Laughter (or is it actually called Bootsie's Big 50's now?) has rapidly come into contention with Prince Valiant for best art in the thread.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's a similarity between Les Moore and Wilbur in a way: they're both failures that inexplicably keep succeeding - Les because he's a masturbatory self-insert, and Wilbur because everyone in MW keeps making excuses for him. Of the two, Wilbur is probably more infuriating in the sense that Mary's gaslighting to keep Wilbur and Estelle together is abusive as gently caress. Les is mostly just an annoying sadsack nobody who has coasted off of "my wife had cancer and lived with dignity before she died!" for, like, 22 years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I bet the Best Actor and Best Movie nominees are all really thrilled about this actress throwing it in their faces that actually her co-star and movie were the good ones, and so is her agent.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

How many self-insert characters does Batiuk have at this point? At least two? Les Moore, the cancerwife prophet, and -sigh- Batton Thomas, the comics author.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
One-arm newspaper guy?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
One Arm is more of a masturbatory story than a self insert. It was a genuine idiot trying to tell a story of a little guy standing up to a big corporation and loving it up.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There's a similarity between Les Moore and Wilbur in a way: they're both failures that inexplicably keep succeeding - Les because he's a masturbatory self-insert, and Wilbur because everyone in MW keeps making excuses for him. Of the two, Wilbur is probably more infuriating in the sense that Mary's gaslighting to keep Wilbur and Estelle together is abusive as gently caress. Les is mostly just an annoying sadsack nobody who has coasted off of "my wife had cancer and lived with dignity before she died!" for, like, 22 years.

I dunno, bad things happen to Wilbur and the moment to moment can be pretty funny. Falling off the boat, being outsmarted by a cat. At least the Mary Worth team is having some fun with it.

Les is played 100% straight every time in the most boring way possible. He has unironically had his life enhanced by his wife dying young of a preventable cancer.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Green Intern posted:

Nonzero chance that she is getting too drunk every time she visits and is writing messages to herself.

I'm betting it's her rear end in a top hat boss who's making her work late while he goes home on time.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Some Guy TT posted:

I really have to say, I liked Dark Laughter more in concept than the actual comic, mostly because I could never make out what the hell was happening. But whether it's because of improved scans or a deliberate art shift Dark Laughter (or is it actually called Bootsie's Big 50's now?) has rapidly come into contention with Prince Valiant for best art in the thread.
These are scanned from “Bootsie’s Big ‘50s,” a recently released book. The comic remained Dark Laughter, though I’ve seen some newspaper scans where it is retitled “Bootsie”.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

The 1945 on the back of the picture confirms that yes, these are still reruns from something like 40 or 50 years ago.
1945??? Hmm, funny or not, that grandma must be long dead. That’s kind of a downer.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I bet the Best Actor and Best Movie nominees are all really thrilled about this actress throwing it in their faces that actually her co-star and movie were the good ones, and so is her agent.
The important thing in Funy Winkerbean is that the men get the credit they deserve.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

readingatwork posted:

So apparently there's been some Crabgrass news:

Ok so just to be clear my general rule is to post things that are displayed in public spaces like Twitter/Facebook/GoComics/Etc but not private spaces like Patreon where artists rely on readership for income. As such I won't be posting the new Crabgrass strips until they have a public release of some kind. Unfortunately it doesn't look like this will happen before the official newspaper launch so we just may be out of luck until then. To hold us over maybe I'll grab a short run of another strip for a while to fill the gap. Maybe the first year of Big Nate ? I've been meaning to see how the original compares to the show and it seems to be the only modern strip that's not posted. Well, setting aside those that were banished for being irredeemably boring or outright hateful garbage. Feel free to let me know if you have any better ideas.

Anyways, if you want to read the new strips before June Tauhid's Patreon is here for those interested. It's a good comic and Tauhid seems like a cool dude so it's money well spent if you can afford it imo.

I think good call. Crabgrass is great and I love having it posted here so people can read it, but Tauhid deserves a great launch and posting ahead of it might dampen that.

manero posted:

Nancy 1947

But, Nancy! Captive birds sometimes do need their beaks filed down! In the wild they do this automatically by foraging and rubbing their beaks on whatever surfaces they happen to be sitting on. In captivity, this is harder for them to accomplish. Ideally you would give them a selection of toys to destroy over time and a cuttle bone to keep the beak down. I don't know how likely people were back then to worry about enrichment for their bird, but even today you might end up with a contrarian little poo poo like mine who refuses to play with any toy ever and ignores her cuttle bone, so she gets to go to the vet from time to time to get her beak dremmeled.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Yeah, thank God he didn't deliver the baby in the conference room. That might have been interesting to see.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Doomykins posted:

I dunno, bad things happen to Wilbur and the moment to moment can be pretty funny. Falling off the boat, being outsmarted by a cat. At least the Mary Worth team is having some fun with it.

Les is played 100% straight every time in the most boring way possible. He has unironically had his life enhanced by his wife dying young of a preventable cancer.

That's true. Wilbur is at least funny when he fails, even if Estelle crawling back to him every time is not funny at all. Les is just insufferable.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 12, 2022

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Hwurmp posted:

I would say this has crossed over into "glurge" territory.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Oooo, that's one of the ones from Life. And that's from Carl Anderson, the guy who created Henry.

(deep, shuddering sigh)

I expected her to mention Les, of course, but giving him the award, yikes.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

This would be a cool tense moment if it were actually happening. Unfortunately this is still just Mozz's prediction, right?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I thought she was going to say that Lisa deserved the award since Lisa was the one who, you know, actually loving had the cancer and the movie was (supposedly) about, but no.

Hey remember when Tom Batuik had a story arc about how women were being marginalized in the comics industry before the woman it was about got shoved into the background so that some old dead guy could come back to life and talk to another old guy about making a new comic? Anyway, I'm not sure why I thought about that when this comic is about a woman saying that a man actually deserves the Best Actress award, probably just something wrong with my brain.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Medenmath posted:

This would be a cool tense moment if it were actually happening. Unfortunately this is still just Mozz's prediction, right?

It's not actually happening; it's just a comic in a newspaper.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I thought she was going to say that Lisa deserved the award since Lisa was the one who, you know, actually loving had the cancer and the movie was (supposedly) about, but no.

Hey remember when Tom Batuik had a story arc about how women were being marginalized in the comics industry before the woman it was about got shoved into the background so that some old dead guy could come back to life and talk to another old guy about making a new comic? Anyway, I'm not sure why I thought about that when this comic is about a woman saying that a man actually deserves the Best Actress award, probably just something wrong with my brain.
I completely agree, it sucks rear end that women keep doing rad stuff and the men in this stupid strip keep reaping all the fun stuff.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

EasyEW posted:

(deep, shuddering sigh)

Lisa's greatest legacy was dying so her hack husband could milk her tragic life in the real life and in this made up fanfiction nonsense. It's abysmal.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

Great point. Dedicating the Oscar to Lisa would have made a certain amount of sense; it was her struggle that inspired the movie. All Les did was capitalize on his wife's misery and, as I said, coast on that and his own misery for over 20 years.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Julet Esqu posted:

I think good call. Crabgrass is great and I love having it posted here so people can read it, but Tauhid deserves a great launch and posting ahead of it might dampen that.

I agree with this very much so.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

John Allison posted:

Another comic. The first line is a tribute to Chris Claremont. It feels like the sort of thing he’d have written once per X-Men issue circa 1985.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Potsticker posted:

Ok, Boomer.
It's times like this that reminds me that the first time I ever heard of Pearls Before Swine was Scott Adams giving it a big sloppy blowjob on his blog decades ago, because the only thing I can think those two strips have in common is shown here: an insufferable and rude little character who mouths off to everyone despite being perfectly sized for punting.

Hwurmp posted:

At this point even tawdry doesn't do it justice.

Doomykins posted:

Great point. Dedicating the Oscar to Lisa would have made a certain amount of sense; it was her struggle that inspired the movie. All Les did was capitalize on his wife's misery and, as I said, coast on that and his own misery for over 20 years.
When you put it that way, imagine how miserable Les would be if Lisa hadn't died young of preventable cancer. What would he write about? What would he do races for? Who would he climb mountains for? Why would he go to Hollywood? What would he monologue about at every single passing person, friend, family, stranger, or otherwise? He'd have empty brain syndrome.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

I'm not even sure it was her struggle that inspired the movie, honestly. That's why I said "supposedly" because I feel like with how much Les makes everything about him, that Lisa's Story probably isn't even really about her. Like in my mind, Lisa is essentially a background character in the movie and the entire focus is on Les Moore and how sad he is and how he feels about it and how he's dealing with it, and she just pops up every once in a while to say "My cancer is worse" and then she disappears for the next fifteen minutes while we watch Les be sad some more.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break until June so in the meantime have Big Nate Year 1 (Jan 7-8, 1991)

Going into this one completely blind so I have literally no idea if this is going to be any good. I think I'll work my way through 1991 and stop whenever Crabgrass resumes unless we're all particularly enjoying it.

Also drat, I did not realize this strip was that old. I would have guessed it started in the mid 00's at the earliest.

Old School Peanuts (May 30, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (May 24-25, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Murdstone posted:

Apartment 3-G

And on Sunday, it looks like Mama is going to need some talking to:

And about The 'bean, I see someone here has made the same mistake I did. Les Moore did not write the screenplay for this latest movie. He wrote the screenplay for the one he pulled the plug on. Mason Jar the movie actor specifically told Les he was not going to write it this time. So his contribution amounts to having written a book about St Lisa and jerking Mason around Central Park for a few hours.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

It's weird how despite taking place in the same era as For Better or Worse, Family Circus reruns typically don't age that badly at all. At least in the sense that the intended joke doesn't obviously rely on anachronisms that are no longer relevant to daily life.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Did he actually say he wanted either of those things? My exact memory of the breakup is kind of fuzzy, but I was under the impression that what he wanted was a serious relationship. Which is an even less extreme request than I thought the first time I read it if they've been living together for five years.

Drakyn posted:

It's times like this that reminds me that the first time I ever heard of Pearls Before Swine was Scott Adams giving it a big sloppy blowjob on his blog decades ago, because the only thing I can think those two strips have in common is shown here: an insufferable and rude little character who mouths off to everyone despite being perfectly sized for punting.

Ehhh that's a pretty big thing to have in common given that these are daily comic strips and the main appeal for either one of them is the sense of humor. Which actually is pretty similar now that you've called attention to it.

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass is on break until June so in the meantime have Big Nate Year 1 (Jan 7-8, 1991)

The length of these legs is really weirding me out given that these are actually more realistic proportions than the Big Nate art style we're more generally familiar with. It actually makes him look older than in the recent strips, which is really counter-intuitive.

Some Guy TT fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 13, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Some Guy TT posted:

Did he actually say he wanted either of those things? My exact memory of the breakup is kind of fuzzy, but I was under the impression that what he wanted was a serious relationship. Which is an even less extreme request than I thought the first time I read it if they've been living together for five years.

Bruno did ask Shelly to marry him, as seen here;

Also, while they had been seeing each other for five years, they weren't living together, as A)Bruno worked on a North Sea oil rig, and B) Shelley avoided living with him specifically because she wasn't ready to get married.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

How can Scary Gary drive if he can't be photographed for a license?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Some Guy TT posted:

The length of these legs is really weirding me out given that these are actually more realistic proportions than the Big Nate art style we're more generally familiar with. It actually makes him look older than in the recent strips, which is really counter-intuitive.

Yeah, comparing the two styles directly is kind of a trip

(Also drat, heads do not bend that way.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

ACTUAL SEXY GHOST WILL MANIFEST

"GUARANTEED"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (March 15, 1975)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 12, 1938)

Out Our Way (May 19-21, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (November 4-6, 1918)

Dok's "Oh, I Guess More International Racism Is On Deck For Today" Duck (January 2, 1914; spoilered because read that line again)

Blondie (From Zero) (September 17-19, 1931)

And Lefty is the strip that suffers from my lovely time management today.