Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

billymumphrey
Mar 2, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0T3XPfQgNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/fellawhomstdve/status/1502387840654745601

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

boo hoo pay your actors more

in the subsequent tweet she says that the studio will only let them hire "a-listers with oscar nominations." for a 2 million dollar movie.

so uh yeah this sounds more like studio idiocy than netflix killing indie movies or whatever she's initially implying. if you only have 2 million dollars, hire some nobodies and give them a chance. lots of great movies have come from that model.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.thewrap.com/john-carter-movie-history-why-it-failed/

Interesting saga

I really liked the movie fwiw

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

in the subsequent tweet she says that the studio will only let them hire "a-listers with oscar nominations." for a 2 million dollar movie.

so uh yeah this sounds more like studio idiocy than netflix killing indie movies or whatever she's initially implying. if you only have 2 million dollars, hire some nobodies and give them a chance. lots of great movies have come from that model.

Yep

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah, make a good indie movie and then you'll be given a billion dollar franchise like Colin Treverrow or Gareth Edwards.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Craft Services $200k
DP $150k
Studio rental $80k
Candles to be just like Kubrick $3,600
Best Boy $65k
A-list Oscar Nominated Actors $2mil
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my indie movie is dying

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

priznat posted:

Yeah it’s interesting how the big bad seems to be “intergenerational trauma”. It’s really been an interesting trend away from villain characters to just concepts (inside out and soul as well).

Yeah it sucks rear end. Disney used to have awesome villains.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Hey as long as it was written and shot as happy and uplifting and not transformed from one show into another show in a last second panic

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's Disney's way of making up for their entire 80s and 90s repertoire of villains being coded as evil gays and sexual deviants.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Bonaventure posted:

Craft Services $200k
DP $150k
Studio rental $80k
Candles to be just like Kubrick $3,600
Best Boy $65k
A-list Oscar Nominated Actors $2mil
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my indie movie is dying

Lol

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I don't understand how people can't realize that if if the last jedi was just a better movie, the bleak parts wouldn't have bothered as many people.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Arc Hammer posted:

It's Disney's way of making up for their entire 80s and 90s repertoire of villains being coded as evil gays and sexual deviants.

those villains were awesome. And designed by an actual gay animator, they were queer-coded because they were literally coded by a queer. Disney isn't trying to make up for having queer-coded villains, they are refusing to have anything that gay in any of their movies ever again.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wonder what Len's thoughts on that are. Not that specific production but the impact on smaller productions. I doubt he's competing with Netflix for the talent pool and opportunities though.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Len Kabasinski? yeah, i think you're probably right.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

article could have used an editor tbh

In the final film, Carter comes across like Kurt Russell’s Jack Burton in “Big Trouble in Little Child,” a gruff everyman annoyed by the overtly fantastical situation he’s in.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Scaramouche posted:

I wonder what Len's thoughts on that are. Not that specific production but the impact on smaller productions. I doubt he's competing with Netflix for the talent pool and opportunities though.

len is probably thinking "wow, 2 million dollars!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Gripweed posted:

those villains were awesome. And designed by an actual gay animator, they were queer-coded because they were literally coded by a queer. Disney isn't trying to make up for having queer-coded villains, they are refusing to have anything that gay in any of their movies ever again.

i'm straight but i'm definitely doctor facilier-curious

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gripweed posted:

yeah

afaik the gay-coding has always mostly just meant that we think the villains are great
there've been disney villain-themed drag shows
I've read zines about how loving them is a way of learning to love yourself before you even realize it
it's kinda lovely that we were only allowed to see that side of ourselves in the bad guys (and timon and pumbaa) but we never said stop

I do have to give a reluctant tip of my hat for Out, though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkLZN0ziLuI
I actually put off watching it for months because I was expecting disappointment, but, no complaints
except for, y'know, donating money to anti-gay and anti-trans politicians and a general corporate culture of repression and off-the-record censorship, but, no complaints about this animated short in particular

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

watched Encanto today. it was very pretty but I feel like it was kind of a disjointed for some reason

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Cubone posted:

it's kinda lovely that we were only allowed to see that side of ourselves in the bad guys (and timon and pumbaa) but we never said stop

The heroes in those disney movies were all so boring that I'm glad they gave us gays/gayjacents the villains. They were the best part of every movie, full-stop.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Gripweed posted:

Once the internet hot take machine made its way to the ears of Disney execs everything went to hell.

Ursula and Scar were the second and third best villains in anything ever and they're literally Divine and a super gay stereotype theater actor.

I get the hot takes about queer coding and how it's demonizing. But poo poo, we're demonized anyways, it's not changing anyone's opinions, and those demons are loving icons.

Bring back extremely flamboyantly turbo-gay villains. Disney-fy Titus Andronicus and make Aaron just a full-on carbon copy of John Waters but an anthropomorphic frog or whatever. Classic literature + melodramatic gay villain is the winning combo behind like 95% of Disney's biggest hits.

Oh and the best villain, of course, was Gaston. Because he's daddy.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

watched the new West Side Story there, never saw any version before. i can appreciate the craft (Janusz Kamisnki stays GOATed) but the story loving sucks lol. i can see why it was a total bomb, release a very old style musical nowadays. nobody cares gramps!!!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Gripweed posted:

Yeah it sucks rear end. Disney used to have awesome villains.

Just get Frollo to bust into Encanto and start loving things up.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

priznat posted:

Just get Frollo to bust into Encanto and start loving things up.

Hellfire remains the best Disney villain song hands down

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Jon Irenicus posted:

Hellfire remains the best Disney villain song hands down

Abso friggin lutely, it’s a banger.

Shame about the rest of the movie though.

Also kind of a shame that Melissa McCarthy got the part for Ursula over Lizzo.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RealityWarCriminal posted:

article could have used an editor tbh

In the final film, Carter comes across like Kurt Russell ’s Jack Burton in “Big Trouble in Little Child,” a gruff everyman annoyed by the overtly fantastical situation he’s in.

Didn't know Victor Silva had a new movie coming out

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

boo hoo pay your actors more

tbf you can also say that about all those other companies they're complaining about

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

watched the new West Side Story there, never saw any version before. i can appreciate the craft (Janusz Kamisnki stays GOATed) but the story loving sucks lol. i can see why it was a total bomb, release a very old style musical nowadays. nobody cares gramps!!!
I had it on in the background the other day and I thought the same. The cinematography ruled but it felt like nothing else about it had been modernized.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
isn't the original West Side Story pretty specifically famous for its cinematography?
especially wrt how it adapted a stage musical to the medium of film?

like I want to say it's one of Michael Bay's favorite movies

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not a ringing endorsement

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i, too, live in fear of the last jedi, and the thought that i might have to ever watch it again

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it's not like his character is introduced in new hope as someone who has any bleakness in their past

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I know when I think "space monk wizard who's one of the few survivors of his order, and who exiles himself on a planet with one of the most hostile environments to live in", I think "man I sure want a hopeful, uplifting story here"

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I know when I think "space monk wizard who's one of the few survivors of his order, and who exiles himself on a planet with one of the most hostile environments to live in", I think "man I sure want a hopeful, uplifting story here"

So it's gonna be a reskin of The Book Of Boba Fett, only with the obligatory Boba Fett showing up for crossover purposes.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

stillvisions posted:

So it's gonna be a reskin of The Book Of Boba Fett, only with the obligatory Boba Fett showing up for crossover purposes.

As Boba Fett turned out to actually be season 3 of the Mandalorian, Obi Wan shall turn out to be season 1 of Boba Fett. Season 1 of Obi Wan will actually take place in the middle of season 1 of Grogu. Season 1 of Grogu will take place during season 1 of weird orange lady with two head tails season 1. Weird orange lady with two head tails season 1 will be called Mandalorian season 4. Mandalorian season 4 will weirdly enough take place during season 1 of Gina Carano's racist bootstraps hour on YouTube.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

stillvisions posted:

Time frames are all off

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I read the Obi-Wan show is just a lead in....to Episode 4. Then that's it, that's all the Star Wars.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Meagles posted:

I read the Obi-Wan show is just a lead in....to Episode 4. Then that's it, that's all the Star Wars.

Can't wait for A New Hope the 8 season TV show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Batman Returns is the best Christmas movie