Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Its even stupider:

quote:

After further review and testing, we have a partial reversal of the bug information provided to you earlier:

-Smashing and Opus work as expected to remaining targets in the normal case where one or more of that spell's targets are made illegal via hexproof/sacrifice/protection (and one more legal target remains)

The bug has been clarified: Smashing/Opus will not do damage only when something above it on the stack has a target that fizzles

Example: Showdown of the Skalds Chapter 2 or 3: Say the Smashing player controls Showdown, and they cast Smashing. Showdown triggers and targets one of the Smashing player's creatures with the +1/+1. If that target is made illegal in response, only then will Smashing deal no damage.

We sincerely apologize for the confusion regarding this issue, particularly to those of you who are using Smashing or Opus. We will be contacting those players by email to ensure everyone is on the same page prior to tomorrow's event.

Of note: the play-it-as-Arena-interprets policy will still apply in the bugged interaction. (Thankfully, the rage of bugged interactions has been significantly reduced)

emphasis added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ultima66 posted:

Yes, to be clear, because what everyone's initial reading of the post is going to be "oh so if a spell has 2 targets and you remove one of them the spell is countered even though that's not how it should work", that is NOT the bug. The bug also doesn't actually fizzle the spell, which is the other "oh that must be what happens" interpretation.

The bug is that if you have a burn spell that divides damage on the stack, and then while this is on the stack ANY target of ANY effect/spell becomes illegal anywhere in the game, that burn spell deals 0 damage to all targets. It doesn't fizzle, all other parts of the burn spell still resolves correctly, it just changes the damage to 0. You can target a random 1/1 token with a spell and then sacrifice the token in response, which will cause the 8 damage pointed at your two big creatures to become 0 from Shatterskull Smashing.

It is mindboggling why this bug would ever happen in the first place, and also apparently this has been reported like 4 months ago and never addressed, so it's not some new discovery.

This sounds way worse than how WotC phrased it, which explains why they probably can't fix it in a day but holy poo poo how does something like this go unresolved for an entire fiscal quarter?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mat Cauthon posted:

This sounds way worse than how WotC phrased it, which explains why they probably can't fix it in a day but holy poo poo how does something like this go unresolved for an entire fiscal quarter?

Alchemy packs demand priority

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This is what happens when you seek a bug fix instead of searching for the solution.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So my LGS is doing a team Modern event called Headhunters

"Format Rules:
In Team Headhunters at the start of each round Teams will roll for Advantage.
After determining which Team has advantage, teams swap deck lists (minus sideboard)
Then the Team with Advantage gets to set the first matchup, and the opposing team gets to set the other two matchups.

As with other Team Formats, players can communicate with each other throughout the match and assist each other with sideboard decisions as well.
Games are still played as two player, one on one games, best 2 out of 3.
Matches are reported based on the teams overall record.
There will be 10 minutes to decide match ups and begin playing
Rounds will be 60 minutes to allow time for team communication
Pregame procedure/sideboard will be allowed up to 5 minutes instead of the normal 3 minutes
Additional clarifications from past events:
- The team that wins the Advantage Roll chooses which team has Advantage. So if your team wins the roll, you will choose if you set the first matchup or if you set the other two matchups prior to swapping decklists.
- After the cut to the top teams, the higher-seeded team decides which team has advantage. However, play or draw in individual games is decided as normal.
- Each deck must be modern-legal (minimum of 60 cards main deck, 15-card sideboard). There are no other construction rules: bring three of the same deck, if you want!
At the beginning of each round, teams will exchange decklists and get to analyze their opponents deck (minus sideboard).
After that, the teams will roll, and the winning team decides which team gets 'Advantage.' The team with Advantage chooses the first match-up, and the losing team chooses the second match-up. The remaining decks are then paired against each other by default."

We are thinking of bringing Murktide, Creativity, and Amulet Titan.
We are expecting most tables to have a control player and a burn player.

Curious as to how you Goons would go about this. Seems like a really fun format every now and then.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

I will sort of defend this by saying this is a situational enough bug that it's easy to dismiss a few individual bug reports as "there's probably something you weren't accounting for" until a streamer puts thousands of eyes on the bug. Bug reports tend to be like 99% people just being dumb and thinking something went wrong when it didn't really go wrong, or complaining about intangible poo poo like "my connection to MTGA dropped during a game please fix it".

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DangerDongs posted:

Curious as to how you Goons would go about this. Seems like a really fun format every now and then.

I would do something dumb like hammer x3. Most teams are going to expect some sort of deck diversity. A hyper-linear deck needs to win two matches, and they get to either create a really bad matchup if they get advantage, or two pretty good ones (hopefully) if not? Seems like good odds to me!

And you can then really tune SB's of each hammertime deck to blow out only a few matchups, Becuase you can probably control where people go.

If the first 60 are the same, then the opponents have to guess who has the proper sb for the matchup.

Good luck!

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I follow what you are putting down.; Sounds like good logic.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

too many words for my dumb brain. good luck though op

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DangerDongs posted:

"Format Rules:
In Team Headhunters at the start of each round Teams will roll for Advantage.
After determining which Team has advantage, teams swap deck lists (minus sideboard)
Then the Team with Advantage gets to set the first matchup, and the opposing team gets to set the other two matchups.

- Each deck must be modern-legal (minimum of 60 cards main deck, 15-card sideboard). There are no other construction rules: bring three of the same deck, if you want!
At the beginning of each round, teams will exchange decklists and get to analyze their opponents deck (minus sideboard).
After that, the teams will roll, and the winning team decides which team gets 'Advantage.' The team with Advantage chooses the first match-up, and the losing team chooses the second match-up. The remaining decks are then paired against each other by default."

Do decklists get swapped before or after the roll? These two points don't make it clear. The second way seems more logical

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Do decklists get swapped before or after the roll? These two points don't make it clear. The second way seems more logical

I believe it's after the roll.
Hell I don't know.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Is this the flip side of Fiki of the Miki-Briki?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Twitter

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

The Wandering Emperor is really good. It's 4/4 flash in stats with a leftover planeswalker in a lot of cases, but it can also blow things out as a combat trick, force damage in, or be removal. It's a PW you can play in counter control without tapping out.

Yup.

Edit: Probably a less impressive preview take than my contrarian Invoke Calamity is good actually one, which has also been borne out.

I've been thinking more about this card and I think it's really powerful. I'm not sure if it can find a home given how restrictive the mana cost is, but it can play a simultaneous ritual and card advantage role. While you don't want to be casting cards from your hand with it, that clause means that it's rarely dead.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 12, 2022

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I've been thinking more about this card and I think it's really powerful. I'm not sure if it can find a home given how restrictive the mana cost is, but it can play a simultaneous ritual and card advantage role. While you don't want to be casting cards from your hand with it, that clause means that it's rarely dead.

seems to me like alot of setup with not much of a pay off. you need a lot of specific mana open and need to put 2 good targets in your graveyard (that dont go over the 6 mana limit)

I guess the best case scenario is to flashback a counter spell and a burn spell

edit: i didn't see it said hand and/or graveyard but thats still a lot of work to just break even

The Nastier Nate fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 13, 2022

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

seems to me like alot of setup with not much of a pay off. you need a lot of specific mana open and need to put 2 good targets in your graveyard (that dont go over the 6 mana limit)

I guess the best case scenario is to flashback a counter spell and a burn spell for

edit: i didn't see it said hand and/or graveyard but thats still a lot of work to just break even

It's seeing play in multiple different Mythic Championship decks, because it provides card advantage, mana (+fixing), and makes sorceries instant speed.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
tfw white is so open that councils judgement is a last pick and banishing light and your 3rd sword doesn't make the main deck.

let me tell you a little something about question beast...it's probably the best create in vintage cube

Only registered members can see post attachments!

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
How’d it do?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I don't mean to alarm anyone, but I'm starting to think that Ultra Pro isn't gonna have their officially licensed Magic: the Gathering sleeves, deck boxes, and binders ready in time for the Neon Kamigawa release.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

The Nastier Nate posted:

tfw white is so open that councils judgement is a last pick and banishing light and your 3rd sword doesn't make the main deck.

let me tell you a little something about question beast...it's probably the best create in vintage cube

What set is this

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

What set is this

The Nastier Nate posted:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
reading the post explains the post

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

What set is this

Kamigawa neon dynasty. it's just that the cards look a little different on mtgo

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Reynold posted:

reading the post explains the post

In my defence, I am very dumb

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I get to draft a vintage cube today with 9 other folks and it’s gonna be very fun

Bomat is the best creature in vintage cube tho

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Yup.

Edit: Probably a less impressive preview take than my contrarian Invoke Calamity is good actually one, which has also been borne out.

Idk about the regular version but the showcase wandering emperor was losing a couple dollars a week from $75 until it jumped to $100 this weekend. I wonder if it was a buyout or just people realizing there are only so many collectors boxes available until they aren't

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yup.

Invoke Calamity would be bonkers in a standard format where red actually had good spells, but wotc is back on the "no good burn" train right now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Invoke calamity Farewell on the opponent end step :unsmigghh:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like they're spoiling a bit of the new alchemy release during the pro tour

https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1503129592332234755?s=20&t=zwV6LYyxPnvSjJTn808cjg

e:
https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/status/1503093593300520964?s=20&t=zwV6LYyxPnvSjJTn808cjg

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, the arena thread's been talking about it if you wanna pop over there

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/ondrejstrasky/status/1503056062760509446?s=21

Unlucky

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
This may be controversial but i cant bring myself to give a single gently caress about twitter blocks

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Jeff is such a thin skinned whack job

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah please don’t bring pure Twitter drama here

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

The funny thing was that Ondrej's argument -- that Ladder rank on Arena should be monetized so that the level of playskill is higher -- was pretty bad in the wake of that Richard Garfield article I linked earlier this week, but Hoogland had to argue against it in the Hoogiest way possible.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah don't post twitter without even posting the context.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Welp speaking of twitter drama...

Turns out Michael David Lynch, the host of I Hate Your Deck, did some hosed up poo poo to at least one woman when he was a film director. That show is certainly done for good now.

https://twitter.com/AmandaTNStevens/status/1503116817484681223

https://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/How-actresses-who-are-just-starting-out-get-pressured-into-creepy-nude-scenes_166194482/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

Welp speaking of twitter drama...

Turns out Michael David Lynch, the host of I Hate Your Deck, did some hosed up poo poo to at least one woman when he was a film director. That show is certainly done for good now.

https://twitter.com/AmandaTNStevens/status/1503116817484681223

https://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/How-actresses-who-are-just-starting-out-get-pressured-into-creepy-nude-scenes_166194482/

Oh goddamnit. Seagal films are the loving worst and shot in the sketchiest kinds of ways. Man, knowing he's a part of that poo poo making machine for Seagal is really loving gross.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 14, 2022