Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

It's on youtube for anyone who wants to watch (NSFW): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3SwBQ697dA

That's not just for gore btw, this movie has got merkinless full frontal for no reason at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

moths posted:

Thanks for the advice on FD4, I'll continue giving it a pass.

Didn't Munsters already complete shooting? I thought that was key to the rating. Not that I'm complaining, she's wonderful.

I think it’s just poorly worded, like it’s done filming but we don’t know the full cast list yet, it’s a reveal not a new hire.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
My girlfriend and I have been going through the Benson & Moorhead movies (or as I like to call them: the Resolution Cinematic Universe). I really, really like what those guys are doing even if the movies are mostly horror adjacent. Most of the "horror" is that of the unknown and of the human condition which I totally dig but very few of their movies are outright scary. Resolution and The Endless are definitely the closest to traditional horror. I think The Endless is one of the better Lovecraft inspired movies out there because it understands fear comes from the unknown not just "scary tentacle squid monster". Though, Spring Did do that and it was appropriately horrifying, despite how heartfelt the movie actually was. They just have a way of writing people that is super engaging for me.

I need more down to earth and slow burn horror like their poo poo.

They have some new movie out this year called Something in the Dirt that I really want to watch but I don't think it's streaming anywhere at the moment.

Semi-unrelated: watched Dark Song last night and really enjoyed that too. It was super dreamlike and lived on the expectation of horror more than the reality of it. I'm realizing the older I get that's what I want in a movie. Any recommendations for similar movies?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

Death has been too sloppy for the last 20 years, and had to unleash a plague to get everything back to plan.

Final Destination 19:

before attending a house party, the protagonist has a vision of everyone dying of covid 3 1/2 weeks later and decides not to attend, convincing a few companions not to as well.

little do they know, however, death will conspire to end their lives in other ways! (catching covid at the grocery store, the movie theater, and at a family reunion respectively)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

God Hole posted:

Final Destination 19:

before attending a house party, the protagonist has a vision of everyone dying of covid 3 1/2 weeks later and decides not to attend, convincing a few companions not to as well.

little do they know, however, death will conspire to end their lives in other ways! (catching covid at the grocery store, the movie theater, and at a family reunion respectively)

One of them catches it at the wedding Ruth Bader Ginsburg officiated

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Final Destination but it's just a bunch of old people dying peacefully after living fulfilling lives, surrounded by family. Tony Todd guides them into the white light.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Levantine posted:

My girlfriend and I have been going through the Benson & Moorhead movies (or as I like to call them: the Resolution Cinematic Universe). I really, really like what those guys are doing even if the movies are mostly horror adjacent. Most of the "horror" is that of the unknown and of the human condition which I totally dig but very few of their movies are outright scary. Resolution and The Endless are definitely the closest to traditional horror. I think The Endless is one of the better Lovecraft inspired movies out there because it understands fear comes from the unknown not just "scary tentacle squid monster". Though, Spring Did do that and it was appropriately horrifying, despite how heartfelt the movie actually was. They just have a way of writing people that is super engaging for me.

They have some new movie out this year called Something in the Dirt that I really want to watch but I don't think it's streaming anywhere at the moment.

They're my favourite filmmakers right now and as someone that was at one of the very first screenings of Resolution it's gratifying to see them hit it big with Moon Knight and stuff.

Something in the Dirt is making the festival rounds right now but will probably get a wide release in s summer or fall.

Not sure if it's on your radar but they did a couple episodes of Archive 81.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kvlt! posted:

Final Destination but it's just a bunch of old people dying peacefully after living fulfilling lives, surrounded by family. Tony Todd guides them into the white light.

Pretty sure that's an episode of Twilight Zone

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

They're my favourite filmmakers right now and as someone that was at one of the very first screenings of Resolution it's gratifying to see them hit it big with Moon Knight and stuff.

Something in the Dirt is making the festival rounds right now but will probably get a wide release in s summer or fall.

Not sure if it's on your radar but they did a couple episodes of Archive 81.

Oh this is fantastic news! I had no idea they were involved in Moon Knight. That just rocketed to the top of my list.

I'll check out Archive 81 also. It's been in my peripheral vision but I'll beeline it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They should make a final destination video game in the style of the disaster report series, imo

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

Pretty sure that's an episode of Twilight Zone

*runs in as quickly as possible*

I HEARD SOMEONE NEEDED TWILIGHT ZONE INFORMATION THERE ARE SEVERAL EPISODES WHERE DEATH APPEARS TO BE FRIENDLY, IT COULD BE 'ELEGY' OR 'A NICE PLACE TO VISIT' OR 'NOTHING IN THE DARK' BUT IT COULD ALSO BE A REFERENCE TO 'KICK THE CAN' FROM THE TWILIGHT ZONE MOVIE THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

*runs in as quickly as possible*

I HEARD SOMEONE NEEDED TWILIGHT ZONE INFORMATION THERE ARE SEVERAL EPISODES WHERE DEATH APPEARS TO BE FRIENDLY, IT COULD BE 'ELEGY' OR 'A NICE PLACE TO VISIT' OR 'NOTHING IN THE DARK' BUT IT COULD ALSO BE A REFERENCE TO 'KICK THE CAN' FROM THE TWILIGHT ZONE MOVIE THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

You nailed it with the last one, good job, that was what I was referencing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snooze Cruise posted:

They should make a final destination video game in the style of the disaster report series, imo

Using the Alien: Isolation engine

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A Final Destination reboot where death keeps one random idiot alive long enough for the big payoff where he causes Chernobyl Final Destination 1.

E:

moths fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 11, 2022

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
a Final Destination video game best described as "the mirror image of Stuntman on the PS2"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wait wait... you need two games
the disaster report style game where you are the victims

and

a tecmo's deception style game where you play as death setting up rube goldberg traps... or maybe it plays like ghost trick...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snooze Cruise posted:

a tecmo's deception style game where you play as death setting up rube goldberg traps... or maybe it plays like ghost trick...

I'm thinking a game similar to the recent Hitman games, but where you have like a God's eye view instead of a specific player character. You can float around the environment creating accidents and such.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Cross between Ghost Trick and the Friday the 13th game

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A Final Destination Dragon's Lair game would be amazing, where you guide people through totally mundane scenarios with a horrific death literally behind every wrong input.

A perfect playthrough would just look boring af.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Levantine posted:

B&M produced Jeremy Gardner’s movies The Battery and After Midnight which are both of the same “two people working through some stuff while there’s a horror movie happening over there” variety. I’d recommend both.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think they produced The Battery but it definitely belongs in the conversation where I'd you liked their stuff you'll like that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Levantine posted:

I hadn't heard of them before but I checked out Resolution and loved it, thanks for the recommendation! I haven't really vibed with a lot of the slow burn films I've watched lately but this one actually worked really well for me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

Final Destination 3, was definitely enjoyable. OF the three I've seen so far, it's definitely the most watchable of them. It sets up the pins, and then breezes between kills, because the movie rightfully assumes that, even if you haven't seen the previous installments, you know what the plot is, so they don't need to explain it. As said by other posters, Mary Elizabeth Winstead does carry the whole movie, but it's fine, because otherwise I don't think it could have worked. It got my roommate's seal of approval because she wasn't rambling the whole time, and the only reason I know she didn't fall asleep because I'd hear an exclamation after each of the kills.

I feel 3 is the first one that falters on the incredible opening disaster that 1 and 2 managed; while a rollercoaster ride going wrong is still plenty relatable, there's not really much more to it than "people fall off." I actually liked the subway crash at the very end more. Also the tanning bed scene, which starts out feeling really exploitative and then turns super horrific.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I hadn't heard of them before but I checked out Resolution and loved it, thanks for the recommendation! I haven't really vibed with a lot of the slow burn films I've watched lately but this one actually worked really well for me.

great choice. follow it up with The Endless and go in blind, the one-two of those movies completely sold me on anything else they ever do

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

STAC Goat posted:

B&M produced Jeremy Gardner’s movies The Battery and After Midnight which are both of the same “two people working through some stuff while there’s a horror movie happening over there” variety. I’d recommend both.

Oh man, thank you for this! That's exactly what I'm looking for!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

davidspackage posted:

I feel 3 is the first one that falters on the incredible opening disaster that 1 and 2 managed; while a rollercoaster ride going wrong is still plenty relatable, there's not really much more to it than "people fall off." I actually liked the subway crash at the very end more. Also the tanning bed scene, which starts out feeling really exploitative and then turns super horrific.

Except that they made a big deal about not having their iPods, then they're both wearing ear buds. I hope someone got fired for that blunder.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
A really good death in 3 is the guy in the gym, I love the fakeout ones the best.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Levantine posted:

They also produced She Dies Tomorrow, similar style and darkly funny

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I don’t think the deaths in FD3 and especially FD4 are as effective as the ones in the other films because they are way less plausible. Accidents in the kitchen, falling in the shower, an apartment fire, etc are scary because they could actually happen, even if they occur in the movie through a series of extremely unlikely events. A tanning bed setting you on fire or the stupid car wash one in 4 aren’t rational fears. That doesn’t mean they can’t be entertaining scenes in a movie, but they aren’t scary in the same way at all.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

They also produced She Dies Tomorrow, similar style and darkly funny

I really liked this one, it’s a little disjointed sometimes but I thought it was both really funny and realistic in the way the different characters react to their impending deaths

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

I don’t think the deaths in FD3 and especially FD4 are as effective as the ones in the other films because they are way less plausible. Accidents in the kitchen, falling in the shower, an apartment fire, etc are scary because they could actually happen, even if they occur in the movie through a series of extremely unlikely events. A tanning bed setting you on fire or the stupid car wash one in 4 aren’t rational fears. That doesn’t mean they can’t be entertaining scenes in a movie, but they aren’t scary in the same way at all.

I really liked this one, it’s a little disjointed sometimes but I thought it was both really funny and realistic in the way the different characters react to their impending deaths

The physics in some of the 3 and 4 deaths get goofily cartoonish as well. They both still have some good ones (the car crash misdirect in 4 is good) but are generally just not as good as the rest.

I also like the misdirects with looooong buildups, which is why apartment death in 2 and gymnast death in 5 are my favorites. My least favorite is probably racist guy death in 4.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Levantine posted:

Along with She Dies Tomorrow as Jar Jar Fan said I'd also add in Brea Grant's Best Friends Forever. It has nothing to do with Benson and Moorehead but its very much of the same vibe.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
FD4 yeah, that's the worst one yet. That was the one that was in 3D and you can tell. I'd say it felt like it was a knock off that somehow got the branding.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Baron von Eevl posted:

A really good death in 3 is the guy in the gym, I love the fakeout ones the best.

yeah that's a great one. up there with the plate glass from 2

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Regarding justification, it's actually less scary to me to have an explanation for violence. Nothing is scarier to me than senseless killing, but it has to be deliberately crafted that way and not just lazily omitted.

I can see it both ways. For something large-scale and organized, I like where Martyrs goes more than something like Hostel or Saw where it's comic book silly and just an excuse to check out these sick gore effects bro.

But completely random meaningless violence can be pretty effective too. The end of the home invasion movie The Strangers, one of the characters asks their attackers something like "Why are you doing this to us?" "Because you were home." :gonk:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Going to a The Frostbiter Icelandic Horror film festival next weekend to screen this film I made last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARSAtHSgNe4

Hopefully I'll win first price this time. Last year I got second place for this little DIY thing I made alone in my living room

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6L1Yzc8sFw

Got third place.

The films in first and second place were good.

The standout international films (and first and second place winners in the international category) were the Franco -Belgian You're Dead, Helen about Maxime who is trying to break up with his overbearing girlfriend Helen the only problem is that she's dead and is haunting him. A genuinely scary, funny, and heartfelt film that looks amazing.

The runner-up was the Dutch Shiny New World which is a training video for a company that specializes in cleaning up the carnage the day after a horror film takes place.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Got third place.

The standout international films (and first and second place winners in the international category) were the Franco -Belgian You're Dead, Helen about Maxime who is trying to break up with his overbearing girlfriend Helen the only problem is that she's dead and is haunting him. A genuinely scary, funny, and heartfelt film that looks amazing.

The runner-up was the Dutch Shiny New World which is a training video for a company that specializes in cleaning up the carnage the day after a horror film takes place.

Congrats , that's awesome!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Well, that's a relief.

Rob Zombie posted:

For those of you speculating, wondering and assuming that THE MUNSTERS would be dirty, violent and nasty… well, you are wrong. 💀 👍🏼 It’s all good down on Mockingbird Lane.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FreudianSlippers posted:

Got third place.

Heeelllllllllllll yeah comrade

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yes! Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I watched that new Wrong Turn movie. Didn't care for it.