Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Begemot posted:

drat, the whip fuckin' rules, glad they finally gave it a good moveset.

I tried it out in a dungeon with a bunch of those miners, the ones where you normally bounce off after every attack, and it just destroyed them. The fact that it doesn't seem to have a "attack deflected" animation at all makes it super useful, and it has a HUGE range.

I remember going out my way to get the whip back in Dark Souls 1, and then being disappointed when it just never did enough damage and was super awkward to use. They finally got it right!

Yes!!! Whips were the best surprise for me in this game weapon wise, they're great. You can stunlock a ton of problem enemies to death with them effortlessly thanks to the range and poise damage, and they're generally light enough to carry as a side weapon. Everyone should try the whips!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Buy a lantern, bro.

Red Minjo posted:

Do you have a lantern, or is that just not enough light? If you don't, a couple of vendors sell a little lantern you can put on your hip that lets off light. If you do, RIP I guess?

It's a section with a specific torch that illuminates cloaked enemies. It's not about actual light to see by.

I just treated it like the rot lake and did a bunch of sprinting with the expectation of dying several times

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
The strangest thing in this game is why are there "return to the cave entrance" points after bosses when you can continue further into the cave. In the coastal cave at the start and now at the sealed tunnel in altus. Very strange.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im sorry but theres no way one woman can eat that ENTIRE snake

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

hazardousmouse posted:

It's a section with a specific torch that illuminates cloaked enemies. It's not about actual light to see by.

I just treated it like the rot lake and did a bunch of sprinting with the expectation of dying several times

Ohh, that area, yeah. Luckily they don't seem to respawn once you kill them.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I need to know what's going on here.

What is that tree impaling move and where do I get it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVL3xI8PUdk

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dandywalken posted:

Im sorry but theres no way one woman can eat that ENTIRE snake

What a thrill…

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The game is quickly becoming bullshit. This fight wouldn't be a big deal if I could summon ashes, but nah, not allowed for this fight. Why? Because gently caress you. Just removing abilities and forcing arbitrary restrictions in order to make fights harder is not good design.

Encounter with Preceptor Miriam? To add insult to injury with this fight is the blue summons that show up to help her out while she spams magic arrows at you.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I need to know what's going on here.

What is that tree impaling move and where do I get it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVL3xI8PUdk

That tree impaling animation is what happens when the deathblight meter fills up and a player suffers from the instant death status.
Same thing happens to you if you stand in certain enemies' no-no clouds.

This player is abusing a bug with the Fire's Deadly Sin spell, which lights yourself on fire to do constant low damage to everything around you. But due to a bug, it also benefits from any weapon buff on your right-hand weapon. So he uses the Eclipse Shotel, which buffs itself with instant-death buildup, and now his fire applies instant death to anything near him.

e: You can abuse the same bug to easily kill bosses in PvE by buffing your right-hand weapon with blood resin or Bloodflame Blade, and then bleed a boss to death just by standing near it.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 13, 2022

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Miyazaki you’ve done it again! Genius to up the challenge and stress level by causing my PS5 to delete the entire game and Stranger of Paradise from my system after waking it up from Rest Mode! Sure my saves are safe in the cloud, but the point is that familiar feeling of doom that From weaves into their games.

For real though, very weird that that happened. Could have been SoP that did it, I guess. Either way fuckin lol

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
how much does ng+ make things or is it all the same power level as before? I just ran through Margit and Godrick on NG+ on the same run without resting, already told Malena to gently caress off anyway, she had no appreciation for me burning myself instead of her.

Propaganda Hour posted:

I'm really surprised to see the amount of people ending the game between 100-115. I ended the game at level 145 and spent zero (0) time farming runes.

I got to 150 and stopped and just spent any remaining runes on spells or smithing stones and such. i got all the achievements and did all the bosses i knew of so i did more than was probably intended for ap lay through but i laos ended with huge stacks of rune thingies and i assume theres another 30 levels or something in there, who knows. thats a riany day money.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That tree impaling animation is what happens when the deathblight meter fills up and a player suffers from the instant death status.
Same thing happens to you if you stand in certain enemies' no-no clouds.

This player is abusing a bug with the Fire's Deadly Sin spell, which lights yourself on fire to do constant low damage to everything around you. But due to a bug, it also benefits from any weapon buff on your right-hand weapon. So he uses the Eclipse Shotel, which buffs itself with instant-death buildup, and now his fire applies instant death to anything near him.

e: You can abuse the same bug to easily kill bosses in PvE by buffing your right-hand weapon with blood resin or Bloodflame Blade, and then bleed a boss to death just by standing near it.

There's also apparently a bug with the Erdtree Greatshield where you use it then use the shield's art to channel the damage and turn the shield into a gatling gun

e: Actually apparently the greatshield seems to consider any negative status as that also

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

He's there. He's on a little ledge sort of away from the main path through the area. Took me ages to find but when you do find him he doesn't even seem particularly hidden.

Yeah the wiki description for where to find him is just flat out wrong. He's in the area but the directions they give are terrible.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

hazardousmouse posted:

I really, REALLY hate this portion that's forcing me to have a torch out instead of being able to shield or even two hand my weapon

and it has this absurd run around so you can't even just walk straight at the entry

One of the reasons I started playing Mages in Souls games was for the light sorceries because dark areas are too spooky for me and I don't want to use the torch. Did not regret it for ER either

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Moon Monster posted:

He's there. He's on a little ledge sort of away from the main path through the area. Took me ages to find but when you do find him he doesn't even seem particularly hidden.

Thx homie

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
omg I beat Malenia after like twenty or so attempts. Although I know it's due to her healing, it's weird how swingy that fight is—like two of my attempts ended with her practically at full health. At least six attempts were spent learning how to dodge the phase 2 opener which one-shot me handily. But then on the successful attempt, I only needed one health flask! It helps that she did the phase 2 flower divebomb twice, allowing me to do two quick comet azurs.

Feels good, even though the Mimic Tear was still MVP.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Yes!!! Whips were the best surprise for me in this game weapon wise, they're great. You can stunlock a ton of problem enemies to death with them effortlessly thanks to the range and poise damage, and they're generally light enough to carry as a side weapon. Everyone should try the whips!

Was doing Malenia coop and a double whip guy was locking her the gently caress down. The closest I've come to victory until the host got nuked by her in phase 2

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

I got to 150 and stopped and just spent any remaining runes on spells or smithing stones and such. i got all the achievements and did all the bosses i knew of so i did more than was probably intended for ap lay through but i laos ended with huge stacks of rune thingies and i assume theres another 30 levels or something in there, who knows. thats a riany day money.

I did something similar, I feel like maybe a lot of people just aren't very good at recovering their runes when they die? It's the only reason I can think why people feel the need to grind for them when I never did it and ended up the game pretty overlevelled and was speccing a ton of points into int so I could equip a staff I absolutely was never going to use because I already had all the other stats I wanted.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Figured I'd clear one more hero's grave, just in case there's something neat in there. The chariot parts are miserable as always, but hey, shouldn't take that long.

2 x Crucible knights. :shepicide: They really gave up with these bosses, huh. I got through all of the previous recycled crucible knights by parrying them, but even that's out the window now & you just get insta-slammed after coming out of the riposte animation. Fun!

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I did it, I beat the game. it was very good and I liked it a lot which is why it's pretty much the only thing I thought about for the last two weeks

my biggest problem is that Stormveil Castle is by far the best dungeon, followed closely by the Academy and Capital, but nothing else came close. the end game areas were basically just corridors filled with enemies with very unsatisfying shortcuts

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Honestly, I was pretty fine with the endgame areas being more straightforward, the game is already huge and by hour 100 or so there is a point where I just kind of want to get on with it already.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Dropbear posted:

Figured I'd clear one more hero's grave, just in case there's something neat in there. The chariot parts are miserable as always, but hey, shouldn't take that long.

2 x Crucible knights. :shepicide: They really gave up with these bosses, huh. I got through all of the previous recycled crucible knights by parrying them, but even that's out the window now & you just get insta-slammed after coming out of the riposte animation. Fun!

After a bit my reaction to seeing another crucible knight or godskin in my path was a sigh and "gently caress you, game"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I actually liked Volcano Manor quite a bit, capital and stormveil are better but I think its better than Raya Lucaria

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
yeah jesus christ I thought the last boss was going to being in CFA and... lol

This game is good but it's legit like two full souls games in length and weirdly, the first game that I have really liked but just want it over already.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

sloppy portmanteau posted:

Apparently all these "no horse" messages are some Chinese internet slang insult for "no mom". So "No horse ahead" = "liar ahead". Those were really confusing me.

No horses in Chengdu.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So the Ash of War Waves of Darkness seems pretty good, but is it just me or does the follow up heavy attack literally not have a hitbox? I have been using it on the ogre looking enemies in the Shunning grounds, and my weapon will pass right through them to no effect when I use the follow-up heavy.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Malenia: is it possible to survive her 10 second long anime flurry combo? The only times I've ever gotten to phase two she just didn't do it. Every time she's ever done it is an insta-kill for me and it truly seems impossible to dodge out of or block.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

acumen posted:

This game is good but it's legit like two full souls games in length and weirdly, the first game that I have really liked but just want it over already.

The more people talk about some late game "boss rush" the more I plan to eventually figure out the specifics for the kamehameha build and just nuke everything until credits role.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Volte posted:

Malenia: is it possible to survive her 10 second long anime flurry combo? The only times I've ever gotten to phase two she just didn't do it. Every time she's ever done it is an insta-kill for me and it truly seems impossible to dodge out of or block.

You can yeah but if you want you probably want to look it up to see how

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

acumen posted:

I call this the okami problem

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You can block the first volley with a garden variety heater shield. After that I tended to roll away and hope for the best

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is there any way to tell when adding up multiple item effects, like the turtle shell shield, turtle talisman, and pickled turtle neck, are stacking or being wasted?

Also, wtf does cursed blood and beastlure pot do? The ingredient required is the same to make dragonwound grease so it seems pretty useless to make those pots unless they really help against bosses somehow.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 13, 2022

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My game just crashed and it keeps crashing when I try to reload the save. Not sure what happened, but I was in the Cliffside Catacombs, and I tried on a helmet I found in there (very shiny, didn't catch the name). The game initially crashed when I unequipped the helmet. Anyone have a similar issue? I'm going to try validating my files.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Volte posted:

Bloodhound step

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

My game just crashed and it keeps crashing when I try to reload the save. Not sure what happened, but I was in the Cliffside Catacombs, and I tried on a helmet I found in there (very shiny, didn't catch the name). The game initially crashed when I unequipped the helmet. Anyone have a similar issue? I'm going to try validating my files.

Feel like I just saw a tweet about this.

fake edit: yeah here it was https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1502650624969609217

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Volte posted:

Try blocking

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

The more people talk about some late game "boss rush" the more I plan to eventually figure out the specifics for the kamehameha build and just nuke everything until credits role.

I wouldn't blame anyone for this. As it is I'm already just mimic/hoarfrost cheesing everything so may as well.

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
accidentally hosed up a questline by goomba stomping an npc, well guess im stuck with the bad ending now

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I did it by just spamming the poo poo out of Hoarfrost Stomp and luckily she didn't do her crazy attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dropbear posted:

Im stuck here too

My strategy was to run in circles and arrow one to death over the course of 15 minutes before taking the other on

But I can’t consistently keep my distance and dodge

Maybe I’ll try poison knives

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 13, 2022