Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
So I'm sitting here thinking about progression paths and do you even need a great rune before Margott? There's multiple paths to altus, don't even need to kill any bosses to get the medallion halves. And does varre move on clearing stormveil or on getting any great rune? That's an early way to get to consecrated snow fields that doesn't require a respawn trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mistermojo posted:

I did it, I beat the game. it was very good and I liked it a lot which is why it's pretty much the only thing I thought about for the last two weeks

my biggest problem is that Stormveil Castle is by far the best dungeon, followed closely by the Academy and Capital, but nothing else came close. the end game areas were basically just corridors filled with enemies with very unsatisfying shortcuts

Not a fan of Stormveil, albeit never did it the intended way at level 20 or whatever. Best thing about it is you can sprint straight to boss instead of dealing with the rest of the horseshit there. My favourite "castle" was the whole stretch of underground areas where you go from investigating random thing on surface, into some crazy night cave kingdom, and then take three magic coffin rides into hell in one amazing journey. Farum Azula and Consecrated Snowfields were kind of a let down, but at that point it's almost okay because you're ready to finish and they seem to be out of new toys. Also in snowlevels case, snow is the least interesting landscape and level type, you need an ice level or two, and maybe they understood it's not somewhere you need to dwell anyway.

I was kind of underwhelmed by the final boss gauntlet, outside of Malenia and maybe the actual final boss. fire giant / godskin were easy if you'd been doing them before, ones just Every Giant Fight but slightly bigger, the other is just an enemy you fight several times before but with a generously large arena. beast clergy took many tries but most of them were silly poo poo like falling off the level forgetting there was a gap, or a few where i was just spamming the blasphemy crystal thing to see which attack it deflected (and idk one of them kills him from half health instantly?).

This game also has way too many twin-pair motifs going on that it's insane of the double-boss fights we got, none was an Ornstein & Smough affair, either with empowering the other upon defeat being a choice or just the lore-relationship between them played out in fight form or anything. Hell, even final fight, why didn't radagan split into marika and double team you at some phase?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I did something similar, I feel like maybe a lot of people just aren't very good at recovering their runes when they die? It's the only reason I can think why people feel the need to grind for them when I never did it and ended up the game pretty overlevelled and was speccing a ton of points into int so I could equip a staff I absolutely was never going to use because I already had all the other stats I wanted.

idk either because i was pretty cool with dumping a level or two so worths of souls after a while, like, there was a period where i used twiggy flask a lot to preserve souls but after level 60 or 70 level ups felt like, oh, yeah this again and i never cared or felt much excitement about where my points went.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I haven't gotten new ashes for a LONG time. My best are skeletal militiamen and the drat jellyfish but I feel like I need something way better because their damage is pathetic, they're okay as distractions only. I just finished Raya Lucaria, in the midgame I assume, can anyone tell me where/how/which ashes I can get at this point that would be an upgrade? I feel like I must've missed some somewhere.

In other news, I spent like an hour last night getting murdered by that one spellcaster in the big library castle type place. Can't remember what it's called but you have to chase this rear end in a top hat up a bunch of stairs while he just wails on you with Loretta's Greatbow and some other spells. And if you get too close he will use Carian Slicer and his spellcasting speed is absolutely ludicrous, it will stunlock you. My god that was so frustrating, I did get him the end though. Fucker.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Volte posted:

Malenia: is it possible to survive her 10 second long anime flurry combo? The only times I've ever gotten to phase two she just didn't do it. Every time she's ever done it is an insta-kill for me and it truly seems impossible to dodge out of or block.

Maintain target lock. Block the initial flurry. She’ll pause for a split-second, and you’ll want to delay a dodge to the right accordingly. Immediately dodge towards her and then away from her with no delay. If you do it perfectly you should take zero damage, although she will heal a bit from the blocked attacks.

There may be an easier method, but this worked well enough for me.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

oh WOW.... the architecture in Haligtree is so frickin' cool looking. the way no vertical line is straight from all perspectives, i feel like i'm tripping this is great

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Preceptor Miriam, think it's supposed to be a bit of a gimmick fight to encourage ranged attack useage but you can still brute force it with metal tools.

and there's heaps of ashes, theyre all in pretty random places, not always logical. Kill a random cat statue, get pumpkin summon, poo poo like that.

Mimic is best summon, dont think its gatekept by anything but i forgot, i had it for a while before trying it out. Umm, mimic so good it was hard to try anything else, even after i started upgrading random ones to level 10.

You can get Soldjars of Fortune fairly easily too and theyre the most entertaining summon.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Valdent posted:

So I'm sitting here thinking about progression paths and do you even need a great rune before Margott? There's multiple paths to altus, don't even need to kill any bosses to get the medallion halves. And does varre move on clearing stormveil or on getting any great rune? That's an early way to get to consecrated snow fields that doesn't require a respawn trick

You need two runes to get into the city proper and the medallion Varre gives you doesn't let you go back to the snowfield as far as I'm aware- I'm pretty sure the teleporter in the snowfield that serves as an alternate entrance is one way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Whoever came up with Crystalians, and also decided to make an optional boss fight against three of them at once, is very likely someone who worked on Dark Souls 2 and should've been fired years ago

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Preceptor Miriam, think it's supposed to be a bit of a gimmick fight to encourage ranged attack useage but you can still brute force it with metal tools.

and there's heaps of ashes, theyre all in pretty random places, not always logical. Kill a random cat statue, get pumpkin summon, poo poo like that.

Mimic is best summon, dont think its gatekept by anything but i forgot, i had it for a while before trying it out. Umm, mimic so good it was hard to try anything else, even after i started upgrading random ones to level 10.

You can get Soldjars of Fortune fairly easily too and theyre the most entertaining summon.

Can’t get the Mimic until you beat Radahn

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

marshmallow creep posted:

So the Ash of War Waves of Darkness seems pretty good, but is it just me or does the follow up heavy attack literally not have a hitbox? I have been using it on the ogre looking enemies in the Shunning grounds, and my weapon will pass right through them to no effect when I use the follow-up heavy.

Yep, more testing at least on a greataxe the follow up attack cost FP but does literally nothing.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
KAIJU FIGHT Ran into a magma wyrm boss at the end of the River in Consecrated Snowgrounds. Halfway through a gigantic octopus appears and starts whipping the wyrm’s rear end

This game :allears:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

enojy posted:

Whoever came up with Crystalians, and also decided to make an optional boss fight against three of them at once, is very likely someone who worked on Dark Souls 2 and should've been fired years ago

That fight is really annoying, but in case you don't know, you can get rid of their obscene damage resistance by staggering them once, so you don't have to use a striking weapon.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
gently caress yes, beat the game on my second try. Got all the cheevos possible in a single run too, now I just need to beat the game 2 more times to get the other endings I guess. Really nice game, some frustrating bosses for sure but overall my favorite FROM game so far.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

You need two runes to get into the city proper and the medallion Varre gives you doesn't let you go back to the snowfield as far as I'm aware- I'm pretty sure the teleporter in the snowfield that serves as an alternate entrance is one way.

yup, sadly

as far as i know, the only theoretical way to get to the royal capital early would be some kind of quitout/stake skip from the divine bridge, but i haven't seen if anyone's attempted it yet or not

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

enojy posted:

people still screaming about the B Team will never get old.

Vermain posted:

yup, sadly

as far as i know, the only theoretical way to get to the royal capital early would be some kind of quitout/stake skip from the divine bridge, but i haven't seen if anyone's attempted it yet or not

Earliest way I can figure it still requires at least one great rune kill. Radahn > Nokron > Gargoyles > Deeproot > Fia >teleport to Leyndell. Then you can kill Morgott and go to the mountaintop?

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

MadJackal posted:

Update on trying to make this game reasonable status post getting the supposed game-breaker weapon, then getting the "stop shield from being the special attack" button:

At least I didn't have to buy a loving Nintendo Power magazine to find out how hosed everything is.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I have no idea what this first sentence means or what you are actually trying to do or even which weapon you're using but there is absolutely no need to do any of that Varré questline bullshit just to get a shield or a weapon. Are you just trying to farm runes??

The sequence of events to use magic to clear mobs in this game went:

1. Get a specific low-skill mob clearing weapon in the middle of nowhere (Icerind Hatchet).

2. Get a skill (No Skill) to turn off my shield's ability and instead activate said sword's mob clearing ability (Hoarfrost Stomp). It's sorta close to the start, but otherwise unmarked and in the middle of nowhere.

3. Find an area where I can level myself to "Not immediately hosed in the face by random passing monsters."

This is my first Souls game and while I appreciate the art and exploration, I'd like to ameliorate the facefuckery.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I think I'm starting to feel the power of mimic.

I've equipped it with ghiza's wheel and I just play tag with the aggro while we knock huge chunks out of a bosses health.

Then the poise breaks, the blood damage kicks in and we just wail on it.

It seems to have difficult on the more gimmicky bosses though like those twin valiant gargoyles, or the boss at the bottom of that bloodrot lake.

I think that's too so with them being able to tank hits without flinching so not sure what to do about that.

Mind you, after doing a couple of mines in Atlas I've taken my wheel from +6 to +10 so hopefully that boosts damage by a lot or makes it easier to break poise on those larger bosses.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

enojy posted:

Whoever came up with Crystalians, and also decided to make an optional boss fight against three of them at once, is very likely someone who worked on Dark Souls 2 and should've been promoted to creative director years ago

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MadJackal posted:

The sequence of events to use magic to clear mobs in this game went:

1. Get a specific low-skill mob clearing weapon in the middle of nowhere (Icerind Hatchet).

2. Get a skill (No Skill) to turn off my shield's ability and instead activate said sword's mob clearing ability (Hoarfrost Stomp). It's sorta close to the start, but otherwise unmarked and in the middle of nowhere.

3. Find an area where I can level myself to "Not immediately hosed in the face by random passing monsters."

This is my first Souls game and while I appreciate the art and exploration, I'd like to ameliorate the facefuckery.

Just hit the enemies with your weapon OP.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nuebot posted:

Who's "screaming"? It's just a joke post. They're an obnoxious blemish in an otherwise incredible game. It'd be a better game without them in it.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
To everyone in LLJK/lljk killing shardbearers all the time: thank you for the constant +runes buffs

Also after like 10 tries I finally beat a miniboss with 22 health left and no healing or fp because I had a message appraised right before getting hit. Like the instant before I would have died

GOTY

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

If I play Elden ring on the PS4, can I transfer that save data to USB, then use that USB save data to play the PS5 version?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Nuebot posted:

Excited to see how the "Guy in armor" bosses in ER are upheld as paragons of fight design as compared to those stinky "Guy in armor" bosses we're meant to hate in DS2 by the wider internet.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The DS2 bad talking is especially fun since the director of that game, Yui Tanimura, co-directed Elden Ring alongside Miyazaki.

DS2 actually was in development hell and the only reason it managed to see the light of day was because Tanimura took the helm and made it in to something shippable.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Volte posted:

Malenia: is it possible to survive her 10 second long anime flurry combo? The only times I've ever gotten to phase two she just didn't do it. Every time she's ever done it is an insta-kill for me and it truly seems impossible to dodge out of or block.

https://youtu.be/72_yLXmIJN4

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Yardbomb posted:

Excited to see how the "Guy in armor" bosses in ER are upheld as paragons of fight design as compared to those stinky "Guy in armor" bosses we're meant to hate in DS2 by the wider internet.

Guys in armor aren't intrinsically bad, ds2 just overuses them

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

So who else lost their 180k runes for killing Fire Giant by falling off the edge of the forge of giants? Anyone? Anyone? Just me?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AnEdgelord posted:

Guys in armor aren't intrinsically bad, ds2 just overuses them

:wrong:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

YoshiOfYellow posted:

DS2 actually was in development hell and the only reason it managed to see the light of day was because Tanimura took the helm and made it in to something shippable.

Basically what happened with Itsuno and Devil May Cry 2 as well, development was going nowhere and no reports were coming back, so he was sent out with his guys to see if he could help them shape it up. Reportedly he gets there and they have a basic moveset for Dante and a couple of maps made, Itsuno then has to take on the job pretty much as a whole as director and just bang out everything they can in the time allotted, along with getting his name stapled to the wreck that barely managed to be completed. The original director's name was never released, because they felt like it'd be a guaranteed death sentence for his career and it was too harsh.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
DS2 blows

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

the competition away!!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DS2 owns, especially SotFS.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
DS2 is one of the ugliest games ever made but I’m glad they made it so they could get their dud out of the way.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

New Game + is serious business

I'm going to invade and just use the chameleon item.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The DS2 bad talking is especially fun since the director of that game, Yui Tanimura, co-directed Elden Ring alongside Miyazaki.

Waaait so people aren't crazy for seeing more DS2 in this game.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yardbomb posted:

Wait for Matthewmatosis to make a video on Why Elden Ring Is Bad Actually and everyone will copy his opinions, just like they did with Dark Souls 2.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

GoodluckJonathan posted:

So who else lost their 180k runes for killing Fire Giant by falling off the edge of the forge of giants? Anyone? Anyone? Just me?

Close except I always sit at the boss's grace and level after killing them. THEN I fell off the thing.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Fighting Astel was a trip but I didn't expect to see it again in a mine in Consecrated Snowfield??? That's been one of my biggest "what the hell" moments so far.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Wait for Matthewmatosis to make a video on Why Elden Ring Is Bad Actually and everyone will copy his opinions, just like they did with Dark Souls 2.

your estus flasks... recharge from killing enemies???? b team's done it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

DS2 is a hot mess but it had a lot of good things for the series. Hexes were the start of trying to broaden the variety of spells as well as experimenting with quality scaling on magic (which comes back with several staff/seal options in ER). Weapon variety in that game is pretty fantastic. It has better PVP than DS3 ever hoped to have. Everyone bitched about Adaptability as a stat but it was an interesting idea to be able to scale your dodge's effectiveness and introduced a choice between evasion or blocking/parrying as a defensive style. B Team tried a lot of new stuff with DS2 and tried to encourage experimentation.

It's a good game damnit. :colbert:

No Wave posted:

Waaait so people aren't crazy for seeing more DS2 in this game.

Nope it's all because of Tanimura's co-direction. In both mechanics and worldbuilding/lore style ER has quite a bit of DS2 DNA.