Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Wait for Matthewmatosis to make a video on Why Elden Ring Is Bad Actually and everyone will copy his opinions, just like they did with Dark Souls 2.

Too many swamps, not enough bosses like the ulcerated tree spirit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Yardbomb posted:

Basically what happened with Itsuno and Devil May Cry 2 as well, development was going nowhere and no reports were coming back, so he was sent out with his guys to see if he could help them shape it up. Reportedly he gets there and they have a basic moveset for Dante and a couple of maps made, Itsuno then has to take on the job pretty much as a whole as director and just bang out everything they can in the time allotted, along with getting his name stapled to the wreck that barely managed to be completed. The original director's name was never released, because they felt like it'd be a guaranteed death sentence for his career and it was too harsh.

That’s not a very favorable comparison

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DS2 is better than DMC2 but that’s an incredibly low bar to clear

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone know if there's better samurai armor than the default. Getting tired of looking like a poser wearing knight armor

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Not a fan of Stormveil, albeit never did it the intended way at level 20 or whatever. Best thing about it is you can sprint straight to boss instead of dealing with the rest of the horseshit there. My favourite "castle" was the whole stretch of underground areas where you go from investigating random thing on surface, into some crazy night cave kingdom, and then take three magic coffin rides into hell in one amazing journey. Farum Azula and Consecrated Snowfields were kind of a let down, but at that point it's almost okay because you're ready to finish and they seem to be out of new toys. Also in snowlevels case, snow is the least interesting landscape and level type, you need an ice level or two, and maybe they understood it's not somewhere you need to dwell anyway.

yeah the Underground is really good too, especially with how you come back to the same areas in different ways and how getting to them gets more and more elaborate

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tell me this drowned king DLC final boss from DS2 is not easier than Margit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GciI0Qjv0EU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That’s not a very favorable comparison

Not really a comparison of games, DS2 kicks rear end, DMC2 has a couple of the tiniest glints of good (Dante's outfit in 2 is cool) but the other 99% is terrible, just of developers having a hard time and needing to fix someone else's bungle.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I found something that I think is kind of weird just south of the Volcano. Is this an area you can reach later, or just a way to fill some visual space in the world?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

Tell me this drowned king DLC final boss from DS2 is not easier than Margit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GciI0Qjv0EU

drat I love Fume Knight. Brings back memories.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
There's some sort of gamer brain damage out there that prevents people from seeing a creature made entirely of of rocks from thinking " a sword is probably a stupid way to fight this. Maybe a hammer/flail/fists would be better"

Also this game is otherwis perfect but I cannot believe there's no shoryuken ash of war for fists. My next character is going to be all punch all the time. Claws and punchy pots.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

One-shotted placidusax and it felt awesome.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Impermanent posted:

There's some sort of gamer brain damage out there that prevents people from seeing a creature made entirely of of rocks from thinking " a sword is probably a stupid way to fight this. Maybe a hammer/flail/fists would be better"

Also this game is otherwis perfect but I cannot believe there's no shoryuken ash of war for fists. My next character is going to be all punch all the time. Claws and punchy pots.

Fallingstar not fitting that theme def felt weird tho

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Impermanent posted:

Yeah I'm sad i haven't seen anything like the dragon bone fist yet. Kung Fu mastery + hadouken was awesome

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Impermanent posted:

I just want the entire bone fist moveset somewhere in every FROM game after SotFS honestly, for real my favorite weapon probably.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Vermain posted:

yup, sadly

as far as i know, the only theoretical way to get to the royal capital early would be some kind of quitout/stake skip from the divine bridge, but i haven't seen if anyone's attempted it yet or not

I haven't personally tested this but I've seen multiple people saying you can glitch into Nokron without killing Radahn: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/tcn0ij/psa_early_nokron_wrong_warp/

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

Fallingstar not fitting that theme def felt weird tho

iirc fallingstar beasts have two meaty bits that don't resist slash/stab damage, the rest of them is still rock

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Impermanent posted:

Flame Strike ash on spikey fists so you can just wail on Malenia with fire punches

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is the Brass Shield the most stable (and thus overall best) non-greatshield?

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

RBA Starblade posted:

Also I've been rotten breathing on everything and everyone all game and an invader did it to me but better and instant killed me with it

Can't even be mad lmao, I deserved it. I love that status effects are hugely powerful in this one, and split damage, and basically everything

Yeah I've abused the hell out of the rotten breath too. Invaders? Rotten breath. Invading? Hit the host and all their cooperators with a stream of rotten breath. Slightly annoying enemies? Breath all over them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Impermanent posted:

hold on while i pull out my equally upgraded strike weapon, which the game thankfully provides voluminous upgrade materials for me to be able to have on hand

The Lone Badger posted:

Is the Brass Shield the most stable (and thus overall best) non-greatshield?

it can get to 65 stability earliest out of all of the medium shields (which, when combined with barricade shield, gets you 100% stamina reduction), though any 47 stability shield should be able to get to 65 by +25 or so

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Play posted:

I haven't gotten new ashes for a LONG time. My best are skeletal militiamen and the drat jellyfish but I feel like I need something way better because their damage is pathetic, they're okay as distractions only. I just finished Raya Lucaria, in the midgame I assume, can anyone tell me where/how/which ashes I can get at this point that would be an upgrade? I feel like I must've missed some somewhere.

In other news, I spent like an hour last night getting murdered by that one spellcaster in the big library castle type place. Can't remember what it's called but you have to chase this rear end in a top hat up a bunch of stairs while he just wails on you with Loretta's Greatbow and some other spells. And if you get too close he will use Carian Slicer and his spellcasting speed is absolutely ludicrous, it will stunlock you. My god that was so frustrating, I did get him the end though. Fucker.

Mimic ash is very good. A really consistent source of ashes is beating evergaol bosses, a lot of them in the first few areas give the boss as an ash.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Vermain posted:

hold on while i pull out my equally upgraded strike weapon, which the game thankfully provides voluminous upgrade materials for me to be able to have on hand

it can get to 65 stability earliest out of all of the medium shields (which, when combined with barricade shield, gets you 100% stamina reduction), though any 47 stability shield should be able to get to 65 by +25 or so

Yeah that's right, good point. It does do that actually. I almost always have at least 4 weapons/implements/shields at the same top tier level for whatever is appropriate given where I've been.

If you're having trouble with that I recommend looking for a pattern in what features on the game map turn out to be mines.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Impermanent posted:

Yeah that's right, good point. It does do that actually. I almost always have at least 4 weapons/implements/shields at the same top tier level for whatever is appropriate given where I've been.

If you're having trouble with that I recommend looking for a pattern in what features on the game map turn out to be mines.

this was absolutely not my experience as someone using a shield and casting implement

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

tildes posted:

Mimic ash is very good. A really consistent source of ashes is beating evergaol bosses, a lot of them in the first few areas give the boss as an ash.

Thank you! This is really helpful, I'm not far along enough for the mimic ash yet I just want to collect more.

I don't like following precise instructions but 'go to the gaols and kill the guys inside' is nice and vague and something I can do!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vermain posted:

fully charged R2s and jumping R2s are the way to go for posture damage, yeah. this also makes endure a primo skill if you know what the last attack in a boss's combo chain is, since you can endure and then usually get two fully charged R2s off if they have enough recovery frames

I firmly believe that the R1 button is a trap for any boss fight and if you are going to kill a boss in melee you should be maneuvering yourself such that you can press R2 in some fashion (Guard Counter, standing R2s with "one handed" weapons or jumping R2s with big weapons), L1 powerstancing with good weapons or L2 with a strong Weapon Art. If you're not taking a Crucible Knight to parry town, for example, you should be using every opening to do a Weapon Art or some kind of big hit if it's safe.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Chard posted:

I found something that I think is kind of weird just south of the Volcano. Is this an area you can reach later, or just a way to fill some visual space in the world?

Things in the distance tend to appear closer then they are in this game. I suspect that is Renna's rise near the manor.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Fallingstar beast deserves a loving achievement...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my faith was getting a little shaky with everything i was reading but having finally experienced and beaten both radahn and godskin apostle today in person i'm feeling new conviction in not believing people when they start yelling about how poorly a boss is designed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
"boss poorly designed" is the "no, it's the children who are wrong" of elden simpsons quotes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Anyone know if there's better samurai armor than the default. Getting tired of looking like a poser wearing knight armor

There's a white reed set you can get that AFAIK is just a newer version of the basic sam gear.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Vermain posted:

this was absolutely not my experience as someone using a shield and casting implement

You get loads and loads of somber stones from just poking around but the "common" smithing stones are rare as hell
I spent most of my playthrough only being able to afford upgrading one single normal weapon but 3-5 different somber weapons.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
https://twitter.com/Weszor/status/1502822891079020549

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You get loads and loads of somber stones from just poking around but the "common" smithing stones are rare as hell
I spent most of my playthrough only being able to afford upgrading one single normal weapon but 3-5 different somber weapons.

Yeah if there's one thing I'd tell people going in without guides is probably where to find the smithing stone bells. Having unlimited stones at the vendor just opens the game up so much for combat.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I was wondering about that. I'm still running around with unupgraded starter gear.

I couldn't beat the tree sentinel. Figured I'd come back when I get my weapon upgraded. Many hours later I found a blacksmith named Izi but I'll need a lot of souls to buy the basic upgrade material. I've found higher grade stones but not the ones I need. :lmao: I haven't beaten a single boss still. I feel like that reviewer that took 30 minutes to beat the first level of Cuphead.

Anyways I really didn't want to grind for 8k souls for a +1 weapon so I kept wandering. I followed the path of the lines to this manor. Surely I'll find an easier boss in here... :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No Wave posted:

Waaait so people aren't crazy for seeing more DS2 in this game.

It's almost literally DS2 2

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

It's almost literally DS2 2

IDK, I see a lot more of dark souls 3 than 2.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Sanctum posted:

Anyways I really didn't want to grind for 8k souls for a +1 weapon so I kept wandering. I followed the path of the lines to this manor. Surely I'll find an easier boss in here... :ohdear:

You can definitely find some handy things in there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
This is my first "souls" game.

I think I'm having fun? Its hard to tell, I often find myself frustrated by the experience but the combat is engaging. I also can't make up my mind if it's truly a good game like everyone says or it's just a bad game that is fun. Corpse running as a mechanic is bad and having to grind thru the same low level enemies to fight a tough boss feels bad but beating tough enemies feels rewarding. I also don't like how many "gotcha" traps there are the first time you encounter an enemy or area.

Anyways that's my review of Elden Ring. It's good?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
theres a ton of DS3 in this game but DS2 (and the open world stuff) is the spice that makes everyone go WOW this game is good. DS3 is just a really solid base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHISHKABOB posted:

IDK, I see a lot more of dark souls 3 than 2.

Well the ui and gameplay follow off 3 but plot and layout and so on do lol. It's a huge mix of every other game but Armored Core but DS2 stands out in it to me

It feels like a fully realized Drangleic in a way