Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the strongest bug?
This poll is closed.
Praying mantis 91 21.06%
🐜 71 16.44%
🦂 56 12.96%
🕷 46 10.65%
🦎 101 23.38%
Centipede 67 15.51%
Total: 432 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

maximum lib

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Runaktla posted:

Yea I’m totally pro Ukraine curbstomping Russians in this war and yeah seems kinda normal here to think you could destroy supply at least on Ukrainian soil.

I mean Russia should be stomped into the ground for attacking Ukraine, but that’s a normal war thing.

Not gonna happen, so what next?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Should have rerouted those resources into buying a different shirt

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Judakel posted:

Putin corrected a Lenin error

who let the menshevik in

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

How does one "fully defeat" a nuclear-armed state?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
There are no guards anyone can just post in here.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Endman posted:

By posting.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Cuttlefush posted:

There are no guards anyone can just post in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCsMKypvmB0

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cuttlefush posted:

By posting.

Correct answer

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Endman posted:

Militarily, Ukraine couldn’t and can’t. Short of NATO stepping in, it’s not going to happen. Their army is stuck in the mud and increasingly cut off. Sucks to suck.

So, idk peace terms less than full annexation are going to be trumpeted as Ukraine defeating Russia. Any military outcome is going to be reported as a Russian Military defeat. Like Georgia, military professional lit will say some tactical missteps but operational victory.

“Full defeat” would mean Russia appraised the risk of invading as too high, or idk the republics were invaded before Russia could respond while the EU and NATO simultaneously ascended The Ukraine, presenting Russia with fait accompli.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 03:37 on Mar 13, 2022

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

christmas boots posted:

who let the menshevik in

it has been 104 years FINALLY THE TIME HAS COME

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Literally two posts up from yours?

A war update about how an entire city full of people is being massacred because the Azov battalion is there gets a

Or do you want a longform list of some of the weird posting that's been going on here? It's a pain in the rear end to dig through 30,000 posts

lol that was specifically in response to:

quote:

The AZOV Regiment is suffering heavy losses and is asking for urgent help

my ideal scenario would be zero civilian casualties (by azov or the russians) while the literal nazis azov regiment can still go gently caress themselves, imo. call it a free city and let azov fend for themselves. it’s horrifying that literal nazis are using the civilian population as a human shield.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
can someone repost that lenin thinking emoji image

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Frosted Flake posted:

Not gonna happen, so what next?
Hmm…

so instead Russia should be pushed back piece by piece as its economy crumbles and it cannot match the strength of Ukraine with Western support?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Ukrainian Army clinging on by holing up in city centres, both militarily and in the hope that it provokes NATO intervention is a pretty big indictment that liberals are somehow blind to, despite referring to anything that moves in Gaze as a human shield.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Endman posted:

You don't - this happens if you get close:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgT4Y30DkaA

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

What these three examples suggest is that the Ukraine inherited Soviet industry in Kharkov and Soviet tank inventories, but not a state able to do anything with them.
Starting to feel like this is the story of Ukraine in a nutshell.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Getting owned on Twitter by a bunch of blue checks is wwiii

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Calibanibal posted:

paul_soccer: I love fascist Putin! I love Nazi Russia

also paul_soccer: stop donating to fascists

Wait, is the narrative now that paul_soccer is not CIA/US State Dept but now he is actually a fascinst?! Oh wait n these are the same thing LOL

speng31b posted:

Getting owned on Twitter by a bunch of blue checks is wwiii

this except unironically

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
I still don't know what a blue checkmark does.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Runatkla and others still don't know what a nuke does.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Frosted Flake posted:

The Ukrainian Army clinging on by holing up in city centres, both militarily and in the hope that it provokes NATO intervention is a pretty big indictment that liberals are somehow blind to, despite referring to anything that moves in Gaze as a human shield.
First off and this isn’t really the main point but what’s the “liberals” part of this? Non-liberals from the USA believe this too.

Second, the amount of commitment the West has put in is abnormal if they didn’t think it would turn out beneficial. From isolating Russia in such a severe way, to the $15 billion diversion of money, among other things, I tend to think that USA have intelligence to believe that what’s being provided is sufficient to repel Russia over time at least.

We’ll see though.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

That’s the part of Cobra II I have to look up when I go into my office. Has anyone heard of a disastrous helicopter raid in Iraq?

going to guess karbala

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
They still have the banderite donation link up, just with a nudge nudge wink don't donate.

loving hell. Tempted to PM Koos because loving christ.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Runaktla posted:

Hmm…

so instead Russia should be pushed back piece by piece as its economy crumbles and it cannot match the strength of Ukraine with Western support?

lol western support has been single shot AT launchers. How do you think that’s going to play out? Light infantry are going to? March into a meeting engagement with motor rifles? Assault a tank brigade? All of this in knee deep mud?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

what does this mean? it's obvious russia wants us to wage war on them because they know they'll lose?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://twitter.com/DanCrenshawTX/status/1502816651057586177

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Runaktla posted:

Second, the amount of commitment the West has put in is abnormal if they didn’t think it would turn out beneficial. From isolating Russia in such a severe way, to the $15 billion diversion of money, among other things, I tend to think that USA have intelligence to believe that what’s being provided is sufficient to repel Russia over time at least.

You're pretty easily dismissing the possibility that there is no coherent motivation for the behavior beyond "hahaha gently caress you" and to the extent that any goals exist they may not be aligned with defeating Russia in Ukraine or even acting in Ukrainian interests at all but again back to just a vague notion that whatever is bad for Russia is a net positive anyways

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Frosted Flake posted:

lol western support has been single shot AT launchers. How do you think that’s going to play out? Light infantry are going to? March into a meeting engagement with motor rifles? Assault a tank brigade? All of this in knee deep mud?
I’m not going to cite all the sources/reasons since you’ll dismiss anything relevant.

Let’s just see where we are at in another couple weeks.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

US gotta get serious about this proxy-war poo poo and start unloading Abrams tanks in Lviv, clear out that inventory before the M1A3 arrives

General Dynamics will be overjoyed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Runaktla posted:

I tend to think that USA have intelligence to believe that what’s being provided is sufficient to repel Russia over time at least.

There were no Ukrainian military units at all positioned to defend against two major axis of advance!!

Your absolute best outcome if you believe this is that the US told Kiev “Psst, they’re going to attack from Crimea and Belorussia” and Kiev said “Eh. What’s the worst that could happen?”

Second, what do you think military intelligence does? It’s not useful if you can’t make good on it with fire and manoeuvre and the Ukrainians flatly cannot. Their tank brigades are almost literally in the worst position they could be, so all the intel in world can’t help them engage those spearheads.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
i know this is way too optimistic, but i think we're witnessing the death of american hegemony. i don't even know how america wins whether or not russia "wins" or "loses"

Maybe if the russian government collapses... but possibly nato is going to try to invade themselves chomping at the bit to "stabilize" and with that many nukes and split off factions - don't think anyone wins

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Runaktla posted:

I’m not going to cite all the sources/reasons since you’ll dismiss anything relevant.

I live and breathe operational studies. I’d love to read up on light infantry advancing against mechanized units and armour in open country, especially in a decisive operation.

Maybe maybe first day of Market Garden when the British Paras caught the Panzers in Arnhem on their back foot. Other than that, I guess the wars of the Diadochi when light infantry attacked elephants.

Runaktla posted:

Let’s just see where we are at in another couple weeks.

The Ukrainian Army and state have weeks left, weather dependant, so sure.

Infantry School says light infantry needs tanks to advance, War College says overwhelming artillery and air support (which Ukraine doesn’t have), Infantry Brigade Combat Team manual says:

The IBCT is an expeditionary, combined arms formation optimized for dismounted operations in complex terrain—a geographical area consisting of an urban center larger than a village and/or of two or more types of restrictive terrain or environmental conditions occupying the same space (ATP 3-34.80). The IBCT can conduct entry operations by ground, airland, air assault, or amphibious assault into austere areas of operations with little or no advanced notice. Airborne IBCTs can conduct vertical envelopment by parachute assault. The IBCT’s dismounted capability in complex terrain separates it from other functional brigades and maneuver BCT

and

The IBCT performs complementary missions to SBCTs and ABCTs. The IBCT optimizes for the offense against conventional, hybrid, and irregular threats in severely restrictive terrain. The IBCT performs missions such as reducing fortified areas, infiltrating and seizing objectives in the enemy’s rear, eliminating enemy force remnants in restricted terrain, and securing key facilities and activities. The IBCT conducts stability operations tasks in the wake of maneuvering forces.

Notably absent is confronting enemy armoured units head on.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 04:10 on Mar 13, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Putin grows impatient. Soon the nukes will be dropped

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

has the ICBM attack on the iraqi US base just now made it politically impossible for Biden to continue on the nuclear deal negotiations? every loving republican is gonna be hollering about this tomorrow

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
What's the over under on how many manpads and atgms are gonna be unaccounted for?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Vomik posted:

i know this is way too optimistic, but i think we're witnessing the death of american hegemony. i don't even know how america wins whether or not russia "wins" or "loses"

Maybe if the russian government collapses... but possibly nato is going to try to invade themselves chomping at the bit to "stabilize" and with that many nukes and split off factions - don't think anyone wins

It's too optimistic. As ghoulish as it is to think of this as purely a proxy war, from that standpoint it's not hurting American hegemony directly.

Maybe indirectly just because China comes out ahead overall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gresh posted:

has the ICBM attack on the iraqi US base just now made it politically impossible for Biden to continue on the nuclear deal negotiations? every loving republican is gonna be hollering about this tomorrow

And some dems