Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Panzeh posted:

I don't know, a lot of games seem to manage to tell you 'hey, this is easy mode, or this is story mode' by telling you 'this is easy mode'. Not 'look up a wiki/youtube for the best ways to lame the game out'.

In streets of rage 4, if you want easy, you play on easy. Wow- there are ways to make the game even easier(the SOR1 characters are dead simple), but first hand, it gives you that, no need to look it up on youtube or whatever.

This is utterly fascinating please continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's pretty dumb to imply that "just look up the most op strategies/builds/items online and use those" is functionally equivalent to a selectable difficulty mode.

For one thing, the game should actually have a hard mode so you can use all the exploits and op strats from online without steamrolling everything

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sekiro and DS2 did. No idea if ones in elden

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It's pretty dumb to imply that "just look up the most op strategies/builds/items online and use those" is functionally equivalent to a selectable difficulty mode.

For one thing, the game should actually have a hard mode so you can use all the exploits and op strats from online without steamrolling everything

No one implied that. You don't need to go online to figure out how to level up or improve your gear or summon other players.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I don't know, a lot of games seem to manage to tell you 'hey, this is easy mode, or this is story mode' by telling you 'this is easy mode'. Not 'look up a wiki/youtube for the best ways to lame the game out'.

In streets of rage 4, if you want easy, you play on easy. Wow- there are ways to make the game even easier(the SOR1 characters are dead simple), but first hand, it gives you that, no need to look it up on youtube or whatever.

That's right, the games that are known for not holding your hand don't just provide an Easy setting that give you god mode or whatever. They give you the tools to make the game easy and then let you figure it out. Think of it like a puzzle if you want to; Baba Is You doesn't have an Easy mode that just auto-solves the puzzles, you have to figure out how to play the game on your own.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 13, 2022

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

QuarkJets posted:

That's right, the games that are known for not holding your hand don't just provide an Easy setting that give you god mode or whatever. They give you the tools to make the game easy and then let you figure it out. Think of it like a puzzle if you want to; Baby Is You doesn't have an Easy mode that just auto-solves the puzzles, you have to figure out how to play the game on your own.

What games really need to do is add a puzzle to walking- perhaps, you should have qwop controls to move without falling down, talk about not holding your hand. Oh, you have the tools to do it, q, w, o, and p, and you could even use an autohotkey script to make it easy. Why do you babies want a control scheme?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Perhaps it's time you go play some other made up games in your head? This one is clearly not for you.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm wearing a shirt right now that says: "Equal rights for others does not mean less rights for you. It's not pie."

I believe that all of you are smart enough to take a step back and actually think about how difficulty modes in video games don't take anything away from you personally but can make things better for others. If you can't get over that then kiwifarms is just a few clicks away.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm wearing a shirt right now that says: "Equal rights for others does not mean less rights for you. It's not pie."

I believe that all of you are smart enough to take a step back and actually think about how difficulty modes in video games don't take anything away from you personally but can make things better for others. If you can't get over that then kiwifarms is just a few clicks away.

Yeah, your experience is not destroyed because, when you hit new game, you chose 'normal mode' instead of 'easy mode' or whatever instead of not having it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

See Elden Ring is like racism. Well put.

https://hard-drive.net/welp-looks-like-elden-ring-has-bought-off-every-single-reviewer/

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I'm still laughing by the way. What a take.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

that's exactly what I was talking about lol. Any time someone gets mad at Dark Souls being too hard they pretend like it's actually some moral obligation to make an easy mode. I've seen people go as far as weaving strawmen about how it's actually "about people with disabilities" and other loads of poo poo. If you are too lazy to learn the game at all, that's ok. There's literally a million other games out there for you to play that all have very transparent difficulty sliders.

Also people have been whining for 14 years and Fromsoft has never once even hinted that they were going to add anything like that so it's probably just time to learn how to play it or move on and play something else.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

veni veni veni posted:

that's exactly what I was talking about lol. Any time someone gets mad at Dark Souls being too hard they pretend like it's actually some moral obligation to make an easy mode. I've seen people go as far as weaving strawmen about how it's actually "about people with disabilities" and other loads of poo poo. If you are too lazy to learn the game at all, that's ok. There's literally a million other games out there for you to play that all have very transparent difficulty sliders.

Also people have been whining for 14 years and Fromsoft has never once even hinted that they were going to add anything like that so it's probably just time to learn how to play it or move on and play something else.

every time someone suggests that these games would be better with an easy mode, someone comes out there like there's a moral obligation to tell them that this is actually perfection, the game would be ruined with an easy mode, though obviously they aren't furiously ddosing every site where you can get a trainer to do what that would do

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Panzeh posted:

every time someone suggests that these games would be better with an easy mode, someone comes out there like there's a moral obligation to tell them that this is actually perfection, the game would be ruined with an easy mode, though obviously they aren't furiously ddosing every site where you can get a trainer to do what that would do

Yes interesting point of view. If the situation can be remedied with a trainer why do you keep posting about how they should change the game? What is the endgame here? You'll just keep imagining darksouls with easymode and be mad on the internet that it doesn't exist until we all think it is a good idea?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vic posted:

Yes interesting point of view. If the situation can be remedied with a trainer why do you keep posting about how they should change the game? What is the endgame here? You'll just keep imagining darksouls with easymode and be mad on the internet that it doesn't exist until we all think it is a good idea?

might as well not post saying anything you don't like about a game ever

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Panzeh posted:

What games really need to do is add a puzzle to walking- perhaps, you should have qwop controls to move without falling down, talk about not holding your hand. Oh, you have the tools to do it, q, w, o, and p, and you could even use an autohotkey script to make it easy. Why do you babies want a control scheme?

You’re just describing the simulator genre.

You understand that these games give you a tutorial on basic controls and features, including how to make fights easier with summons, right? It's just the more advanced stuff like parry timing and where to find the best spells you have to figure out.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 13, 2022

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Waltzing Along posted:

The quality of consumer products is not the same as civil rights.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

What we're all saying is that all of the souls games already have an Easy Mode, it's just something you get through game mechanics instead of a menu option

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

QuarkJets posted:

What we're all saying is that all of the souls games already have an Easy Mode, it's just something you get through game mechanics instead of a menu option

And what i'm saying is that's a really dumb way to do it. Our game has things that break it and make it easy, so we don't need to have a menu option to make the game easy.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

They aren't that hard really, you could do it if you just believed in yourself. They start out challenging but once you figure out the gameplay they become manageable for just about everyone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

99% of games are targeted at people like you. Can you just let the souls fans alone. Stop having such sour grapes about it, the fun of the drat games is learning how to overcome challenge, you're clearly not interested in that so why persist in calling for the same debasement of a game every single time one is released.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Elden Ring seems like a good game. It looks pretty and the world seems interesting. Not my style of game but I'm gonna enjoy watching people play it. Wish it had a tonne of super colourful effects, tho, for I am simple minded and enjoy them.

Genuinely tho the combat and movement is not "gamey" enough for me, but I loving love huge open worlds with no direction explicitly given. See: Morrowind. I'm just broke brained and gotta go fast all the time.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gaius Marius posted:

99% of games are targeted at people like you. Can you just let the souls fans alone. Stop having such sour grapes about it, the fun of the drat games is learning how to overcome challenge, you're clearly not interested in that so why persist in calling for the same debasement of a game every single time one is released.

oh no, there was a difficulty option when i started the new game, it is now debased, awful, horrible!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yes correct glad we're finally in the same page

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Why the hell people don't complain about GTA games not having a difficulty slider? I've died in random missions in GTA games way more than to bosses in souls games. Boggles the mind.

I blame the memes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Gaius Marius posted:

Yes correct glad we're finally in the same page

you have to be extremely dumb to think fromsoft games are the only challenging games that exist, lol

Vic posted:

Why the hell people don't complain about GTA games not having a difficulty slider? I've died in random missions in GTA games way more than to bosses in souls games. Boggles the mind.

I blame the memes.

honestly, that'd probably improve that game, too

have a bunch of sliders for enemy health, player health, car handling, etc, when gta isn't pretending to be a profound crime story, it's about loving around

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
also gta should have a gravity slider so you can make it like you're on the moon, too

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Elden Ring brings out the worst possible opinions and makes everyone seem obsessive tbh, no matter what side you're on. It's just a game.

Also my unpopular opinion is that for all but a handful of games the story and writing is pretty unimportant. It can make it better, but as long as I have fun the story and writing I can overlook.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

FromSoft games attract a lot of opinions from people who have not played them for some reason.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Panzeh posted:

And what i'm saying is that's a really dumb way to do it. Our game has things that break it and make it easy, so we don't need to have a menu option to make the game easy.

I don't agree but that's fine

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

syntaxfunction posted:

Elden Ring brings out the worst possible opinions and makes everyone seem obsessive tbh, no matter what side you're on. It's just a game.

Also my unpopular opinion is that for all but a handful of games the story and writing is pretty unimportant. It can make it better, but as long as I have fun the story and writing I can overlook.

fromsoft fanboys are some of the smuggest motherfuckers about their games that i've ever seen

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GTA games should have difficulties, but also, like, after how dogshit not for me GTA IV and the 10 minutes I could stomach of V its not like Im gonna try VI unless its on some general subscription service I already had and theyve sold hundreds of millions of copies without me so they should 100% ignore my opinion.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
i don't know anything about this Elden Ring game, i'm replaying System Shock 2.

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Beartaco posted:

The quality of consumer products is not the same as civil rights.

Ha! Tell that to the internet

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

tango alpha delta posted:

i don't know anything about this Elden Ring game

Don't let that stop you from being super angry about it

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

tango alpha delta posted:

i don't know anything about this Elden Ring game, i'm replaying System Shock 2.

hell yeah

navy, marine, or psi?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

hell yeah

navy, marine, or psi?

navy this time. Just left for training on Space Station Chesapeake Bay.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

If they even took a second to consider the idea of bad gamers while developing souls games, they would lose their mindset which created one of the best games in a longtime. The poor gamer can't even be considered for a second, they must only focus on the most powerful and discerning video game players.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

And most virile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeckySucrose
Mar 1, 2022
Bioshock Infinite > the Bioshock tie-in novel > Bioshock 2 > Bioshock > Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea

Undertale > Mother 3 > Deltarune > Earthbound > Earthbound Beginnings