Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
holy poo poo all of that sounds like my legal hot take was correct, they're gonna be crushed by the state of cali for this. their bank accounts are frozen goddamn.

lmao you can rip off the state for millions with medicare fraud, or literally steal the money for needy kid's food programs, and it'll take 2 years before anyone catches up with you

but mess around with gambling or lotteries, and you get a team of accountants with guns and SWAT gear busting through your door in about 5 minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Klyith posted:

holy poo poo all of that sounds like my legal hot take was correct, they're gonna be crushed by the state of cali for this. their bank accounts are frozen goddamn.

lmao you can rip off the state for millions with medicare fraud, or literally steal the money for needy kid's food programs, and it'll take 2 years before anyone catches up with you

but mess around with gambling or lotteries, and you get a team of accountants with guns and SWAT gear busting through your door in about 5 minutes

Like joker once said.
"I may be crazy for taking on batman. But the irs? Noo thank you."

Never get so public while bouncing state charges like a business license or taxes. They will hunt you down.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Klyith posted:

It sounds like there could've been some unpaid taxes or business fees or something too, but who knows, maybe it's both. I hope we get some follow-up videos about this at some point because I'm desperate to know what the gently caress happened here.

edit:

https://twitter.com/Dexerto/status/1499122868227133440

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 10, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
from a while back, I know that tech news would occasionally run a story about how the entertainment system in a Tesla was RDNA2-powered and I think there was even a story about someone running Cyberpunk 2077 within/using it, and I think the latest story was that Musk wants the entertainment system to be certified for Steam or something, probably because someone told him about the Steam Deck

has that actually made it into a production car yet, or are these things still just Coming Soon To A Future Car Eventually?

this is not any kind of interest or endorsement of Tesla, I'm just curious as to whether it's actually happened

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Given that orgs were just as hosed trying to get RTXs as the common gamer, if doubt it if Muskman was shooting 3090s into the Teslas yet.

Man, can't wait for weird Techbros to complain their 80k cars need new GPU drivers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Given that orgs were just as hosed trying to get RTXs as the common gamer, if doubt it if Muskman was shooting 3090s into the Teslas yet.

Man, can't wait for weird Techbros to complain their 80k cars need new GPU drivers.

Not 3090s, but RDNA2 like gradenko said. Not sure why you saw that and thought musk was trying to add ampere cards to teslas. anyway, RDNA2-based AMD APUs are actually in new Teslas now, yes. https://fortune.com/2021/05/31/amd-tesla-contract-chips-infotainment-system-lisa-su/

As for steam support and poo poo, I think Musk is still trying to make that happen. It's a pretty dumb idea, but it is technically possible.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's a pretty dumb idea, but it is technically possible.

That sums up most of what Musk spouts

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It was Tesla themselves that showed the Model S Plaid running Cyberpunk 2077, claiming it has the performance of a PS5. I think there were some Tesla branded game controllers spotted so it seems on brand for Tesla to sell something like that in the future.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Charles posted:

It was Tesla themselves that showed the Model S Plaid running Cyberpunk 2077, claiming it has the performance of a PS5. I think there were some Tesla branded game controllers spotted so it seems on brand for Tesla to sell something like that in the future.

Can't wait to die in a car crash while playing Cyberpunk because the self-driving program drove me off a bridge.

edit: drat but if "Steve Loses It" isn't appropriate for that segment on the Artesian Builds video. Somehow he sounds angrier than he did in the first Newegg video.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 10, 2022

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
as he put it he's responsible for the well being of his own team, so he takes direct offense of the blatant neglect of employees

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

That Artesian guy totally sucks in every way.
My God, he even has a punchable voice

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Adolf Glitter posted:

That Artesian guy totally sucks in every way.
My God, he even has a punchable voice

To say nothing for his fashion sense. Isn't that jacket from Guardians of the Galaxy or something?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Yep, it's a replica Star Lord jacket and he seems to genuinely think that makes him very cool. The fact that that character's whole shtick is trying desperately to be cool when he super isn't (and he is also played by another weird douchebag) makes this almost TOO on the nose. I don't think this guy is that self-aware, though.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 11, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Unsinkabear posted:

Yep, it's a replica Star Lord jacket and he seems to genuinely think that makes him very cool. The fact that that character's whole shtick is trying desperately to be cool when he super isn't (and he is also played by another weird douchebag) makes this almost TOO on the nose. I don't think this guy is that self-aware, though.

He used a frowny-face in a business email.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Warmachine posted:

He used a frowny-face in a business email.

Seems like the CEO is a clout seeker while the former COO was the real leader for system building.

*lays off his entire staff*

"I guess this will make our interview uncomfortable :("

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Linus getting ahead of himself again and declaring HEDT dead, because AMD didn't release a non-Pro Threadripper next to the Pro one. As if we didn't have a microchip shortage, that's still on going, and is eventually going to get worse again (with what the upcoming Neon shortage), and AMD dared to change priorities for chiplet allocation.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I never even knew there were "pro" and non-pro Threadrippers, isn't the point of a Threadripper that it's only pros who should really be using it?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

njsykora posted:

I never even knew there were "pro" and non-pro Threadrippers, isn't the point of a Threadripper that it's only pros who should really be using it?

You'd think, but people also bought 3090s for gaming.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Linus getting ahead of himself again and declaring HEDT dead, because AMD didn't release a non-Pro Threadripper next to the Pro one. As if we didn't have a microchip shortage, that's still on going, and is eventually going to get worse again (with what the upcoming Neon shortage), and AMD dared to change priorities for chiplet allocation.

He's not wrong though. HEDT's killer features in the past were core count, PCIe lanes, and sometimes memory capacity. For all basically anything that's not a hardcore production box, the only thing that you really can't get now out of a 5950x et al are the crazy PCIe lane count. There is also usually a ton of L2/L3 on HEDT chips, but Ryzen 3 isn't that far behind the TRX4 chips that exist today.

That said, I would still like to see HEDT as a chip class. I don't think *I* would ever choose one with the state that Ryzen is in today, but it fulfills an interesting niche.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

He's not wrong though. HEDT's killer features in the past were core count, PCIe lanes, and sometimes memory capacity. For all basically anything that's not a hardcore production box, the only thing that you really can't get now out of a 5950x et al are the crazy PCIe lane count. There is also usually a ton of L2/L3 on HEDT chips, but Ryzen 3 isn't that far behind the TRX4 chips that exist today.

That said, I would still like to see HEDT as a chip class. I don't think *I* would ever choose one with the state that Ryzen is in today, but it fulfills an interesting niche.

How much closer will the cache difference be when amd launches the ryzen chips with that 3d cache thing. I've been kind of on the sideline about getting one when it releases as it seemed like it provides a decent uplift on the existing 5000 chips.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

AMD is using the Pro suffix for chips with enterprise security and integration features that are solely sold to workstation system integrators. There’s Ryzen Pro chips too, we just don’t talk about them much because they only show up in prebuilts from Dell, Lenovo, and the like.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

The reason why doesn't matter. What matters is the end result: there will likely be another year without any new HEDT CPUs for consumers.

njsykora posted:

These are chips you will not be able to buy for your home machine. You will be forced to buy a prebuilt workstation from Lenovo if you want one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Linus being wrong is the practically so common, that the word Linus might as well translate to wrong.
Heck, he even pronounces his name wrong compared to how everyone in the Fenno-Scandic region, where it comes from, pronounces it.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

How does Linus Torvalds pronounce it???

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Linus Torvalds Tech Tips where he gets the latest gpu from nvidia to review and then smashes it with a hammer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Linus Torvalds Tech Tips where he gets the latest gpu from nvidia to review and then smashes it with a hammer.

Linus Torvalds Tech Tips where its just 15 minutes of expletives hurled at Intel

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I think the 8 vs 2 memory channels is a win for the Threadripper too, once you're looking at many workloads that keep all cores busy. It's only one benchmark, but the threadripper 16 core is faster than the 16 core Ryzen 9. The threadripper 16c is close to a linear scale from the Ryzen 9 12 core, whereas the Ryzen 9 16c only delivers +17% performance from +33% cores.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Ryzen-Threadripper-PRO-5955WX-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-5900X/4767vs3862vs3870

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Former Human posted:

I think it's more like Lee-nus instead of Lie-nus.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Former Human posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39QPDTDdXU

There's also some video floating around where he pronounces it the Americanized way, probably because the Linux Foundation is incorporated as a 501c6 in the US (ie. a board/chamber of commerce, where corporations pay to enter), and as such has a trademark.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Mar 12, 2022

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39QPDTDdXU

There's also some video floating around where he pronounces it the Americanized way, probably because the Linux Foundation is incorporated as a 501c6 in the US (ie. a board/chamber of commerce, where corporations pay to enter), and as such has a trademark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IfHm6R5le0

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Linox

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Yeah, that's the whole trademark deal I was talking about.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

One of the fun things about names is that you can pronounce them how you like, there's no correct rules for this sort of thing.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"should" seems a bit much - perhaps rephrase it to "can"

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Rossmann is very skilled and knowledgeable, but his personality really rubs me the wrong way..

I respect his work and how generous he's been with sharing info, but sadly I find it impossible to watch. I even tried watching it with the subtitles thinking maybe it was just his voice, or delivery, but even that didn't work

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wonder how many people he puts off from doing business with him based on the personality he displays on his channel

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

"should" seems a bit much - perhaps rephrase it to "can"

“must”

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtG9I3mZlJo

TTP is gonna be an industry analyst, not going to LTT. (The LTT tease was an intentional joke). He'll continue his youtube channel, but it sounds there'll be some sponsored content, though I mostly trust he won't be a shill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Yet another small business owner trying to curtail the benefits of remote work