Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Buschmaki posted:

How does dual-wielding work with passive effect buildup? I have two bleed katanas and am wondering if L1'ing will give me basically two hits of bleed buildup. Also they natively scale off of dex so will buildups also scale off of that if I give them keen, or should I just add bleed attunement to them and respec into so arcane?

Each hit with a weapon will apply the listed amount of debuff on a weapon. So yes, powerstancing with katanas and using the L1 attack will get you two taps of bleed application.

Putting Bleed Affinity on a katana will increase the amount of bleed significantly (like almost double?) but on a uchigatana changes the scaling to B/D Dex/Arc. For pure damage it's probably not worth going Arcane.

There's a couple paths you could take to being a Bleed Lord though.

Talisman: There's a Talisman that gives you 20% damage whenever you or your enemy pops a bleed. Which is great, but it combos really well with:
Weapon Art: The Ash of War Seppuku, where you stab yourself and then buff your weapon with a bit of extra damage and a crazy amount of extra bleed (like +100 bleed??). The crazy part of this is that stabbing yourself counts as Bleeding so it triggers the aforementioned Talisman so you can start every fight buffed and able to bleed an enemy with the merest of light touches of your Nippon Steel.

You can also put Frost affinity on both your katanas. This will reduce the amount of bleed application slightly but allow your katanas to apply both bleed and frostbite which is frankly kind of ridiculous stacking. Or you can put Bleed on your right hand and Frost on your left hand since frostbite can't proc again when it's still on an opponent. You could also have a Fire and a Frost katana so when frostbite procs the Fire damage will remove it so you can start reapplying Frost again.

Re: Arcane. Bleed affinity gives your katanas a poopy D scaling in Arcane but Occult affinity gives them a B scaling. Arcane does increase Bleed by like 1 point per stat point or something but Occult is more for attacking damage with a slight benefit to your bleed build up since it doesn't outright give your weapons a big bleed boost like Bleed does. Either way it's a fine route to take if you plan to use Arcane scaling incantations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Well, gently caress. I'm stuck in Sellia Crystal Tunnel. Literally stuck, in the geometry. "Fell" into a small crack in the cave floor, and I can't get out. Twenty minutes of running, rolling, jumping, using several different weapon arts that do jump/flip attacks but I cannot get unstuck.

And because it's Sellia Tunnel ..I can't teleport out. And it happened right as I killed the last loving laser bug. I don't know what to do. I've quit and reloaded, I've invaded another world, but I keep returning to the same spot and can't move.

My only hope is waiting for a random invader to kill me, I think? How the hell do I kill myself? At least DS1 had dung pies.

Can you use the Memory of Grace item to return to the last one you were at?

efbbb

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Starting to think level 125, max level weapons are not enough for Ordina.

Que? FWIW you needn't really fight anything there. A greatbow can be handy for bullying some archers to make an easier sprint path for the hard to reach tower thingy, but the rest you can pretty much sprint to in safety or in a short suicide run

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Yeah used the memory of grace. Even though it wasn't a lot of runes lost im still upset at the principal of the thing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

the big magma wyrm Hack is that, as far as i can tell, he only does his sideways fire belch attack on his sword side, so you can bait it, run around to the other side, run back, and keep trying to get him to burp on you until he either dies or decides to ram his head into the 3 feet of combat arena from generously gave him

Nope, can be either side, check about 2:20 in my winning run that I was able to track down in my playthrough streams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlQYB--X6qE

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Another thing i saw today was i was at a shoreline and saw a ton of bloodstains. No monsters for miles.

As i clicked on them i saw dozens of red ghosts all riding straight into the ocean to their doom. Good luck Tarnished, i'm sure you'll be the one to make it out to those ships :patriot:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Eej posted:

Talisman: There's a Talisman that gives you 20% damage whenever you or your enemy pops a bleed. Which is great, but it combos really well with:
Weapon Art: The Ash of War Seppuku, where you stab yourself and then buff your weapon with a bit of extra damage and a crazy amount of extra bleed (like +100 bleed??). The crazy part of this is that stabbing yourself counts as Bleeding so it triggers the aforementioned Talisman so you can start every fight buffed and able to bleed an enemy with the merest of light touches of your Nippon Steel.

You can also put Frost affinity on both your katanas. This will reduce the amount of bleed application slightly but allow your katanas to apply both bleed and frostbite which is frankly kind of ridiculous stacking. Or you can put Bleed on your right hand and Frost on your left hand since frostbite can't proc again when it's still on an opponent. You could also have a Fire and a Frost katana so when frostbite procs the Fire damage will remove it so you can start reapplying Frost again.

I got summoned by a few people using that weapon art, always wondered what was going on. I used Bloody Slash on my Nagakiba a lot, it's nice for bosses that won't bleed and have short attack windows, takes a little bit of your health but just does a nice chunk of solid damage to boss.

I didn't think about Fire and Frost katanas, what happens if you put Frost affinity on Rivers of Blood, I wonder. It has blood application and deals fire damage as is.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Took a break to cool off (lol) and gonna take some more swings at magmaboi. I'm in the lljk group if anyone would like to help.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Khanstant posted:

I got summoned by a few people using that weapon art, always wondered what was going on. I used Bloody Slash on my Nagakiba a lot, it's nice for bosses that won't bleed and have short attack windows, takes a little bit of your health but just does a nice chunk of solid damage to boss.

I didn't think about Fire and Frost katanas, what happens if you put Frost affinity on Rivers of Blood, I wonder. It has blood application and deals fire damage as is.

Doesn't Rivers of Blood have a unique weapon art

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nuebot posted:

So, uh, Millicent's quest line Gowry's her dad? Also, it seems like just flat out killing her after getting that sick talisman from her is the best route because the needle blows unless you somehow accidentally chaos yourself.

I'm not sure if that one's entirely true. The Graven Mass/School talismans say: "The primeval current is a forbidden tradition of glintstone sorcery. To those who cleave to its teachings, the act of collecting sorcerers to fashion them into the seeds of stars is but another path of scientific inquiry." and the entire goal of her quest was to reassemble her sick hacker team of rogue primeval magic obsessed mages. I interpreted it as she did exactly what she planned to do, but didn't realize that what she planned to do was what a fw hundred other people have done and was just going to resort in the three of them, and their followers, turning into a stupid ball of faces.

(Sellen's questline spoilers): Yeah I got the impression that the ball of heads thing was more of a "she hosed up and messed with magic she shouldn't have" deal rather than explicit revenge from Rennala. Either this or she highly misjudged the role she was going to be playing in the arrangement she made with the other two sorcerers she has you find for her

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I don’t know why this is supposed to be DS2 2 when nearly every gameplay addition to DS2 is removed akin to DS3 and is more in line with that and BB and Sekiro.

It’s no more a realised Draglic than Boletaria.

A Small List:

There's a race of giants that have lost a war very horribly and the ones still left are hosed up or basically slaves.

In the Final Boss Arena you see Minor Erdtrees sprouting all over surrounding the place and it very, very much resembles Things Betwixt.

On that note, The Lands Between... Things Betwixt... very similar naming scheme there.

Drangleic had a lot of Norse inspiration. From the atmosphere to the lore to the armor designs. Elden Ring shares a lot of that as well though it's much more varied with a lot of other stuff too.

Both games have a story much more focused on royalty and how their lineage and legacy affected the entire world.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Char posted:

So, remember, I was ranting about those two valiant gargoyles a couple days ago.
I respecced full strength, it's like playing easymode. I got into Deeproot, then Nokstella.
While I was loving around in Lake of Rot I noticed the game was giving me a lot of somber smithing stones. "Well, I kinda get it, game. You want me to use them, I guess?"

Back to the roundtable, I pushed my Grafted Greatword to +8

Me, proceeding to meet Astel: :black101:

edit: Astel is art

what is this deeproot i keeep seeing people mention?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Took a break to cool off (lol) and gonna take some more swings at magmaboi. I'm in the lljk group if anyone would like to help.

Got it first try. Thanks for the tips posted, they helped.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

YoshiOfYellow posted:

A Small List:

There's a race of giants that have lost a war very horribly and the ones still left are hosed up or basically slaves.

In the Final Boss Arena you see Minor Erdtrees sprouting all over surrounding the place and it very, very much resembles Things Betwixt.

On that note, The Lands Between... Things Betwixt... very similar naming scheme there.

Drangleic had a lot of Norse inspiration. From the atmosphere to the lore to the armor designs. Elden Ring shares a lot of that as well though it's much more varied with a lot of other stuff too.

Both games have a story much more focused on royalty and how their lineage and legacy affected the entire world.

I haven’t finished the game so I will not read the spoiler text so I don’t know if that explains how Elden Ring is DS2 2 since Elden Ring is actually good to play and to look at and to listen to.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Eej posted:

Each hit with a weapon will apply the listed amount of debuff on a weapon. So yes, powerstancing with katanas and using the L1 attack will get you two taps of bleed application.

Putting Bleed Affinity on a katana will increase the amount of bleed significantly (like almost double?) but on a uchigatana changes the scaling to B/D Dex/Arc. For pure damage it's probably not worth going Arcane.

There's a couple paths you could take to being a Bleed Lord though.

Re: Arcane. Bleed affinity gives your katanas a poopy D scaling in Arcane but Occult affinity gives them a B scaling. Arcane does increase Bleed by like 1 point per stat point or something but Occult is more for attacking damage with a slight benefit to your bleed build up since it doesn't outright give your weapons a big bleed boost like Bleed does. Either way it's a fine route to take if you plan to use Arcane scaling incantations.

At higher arcane levels the difference between bleed and occult for bleed amount is like 10 percent bleed for a lot more damage

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Tarezax posted:

Doesn't Rivers of Blood have a unique weapon art

Yeah Rivers of Blood can't be Ashed but the fire damage should remove frostbite so that's an option. I wouldn't recommend it though since it's one of the weapons that are hit by the Arcane scaling bug (weapons that do multiple types of damage and scale with Arcane are broken and don't scale at all with any stat right now).

Stormgale posted:

At higher arcane levels the difference between bleed and occult for bleed amount is like 10 percent bleed for a lot more damage

Yeah this is true but then you locked a character into high Arcane investment which is really limited versus just having High Dex and whatever secondary stat with Bleed or any other kind of affinity.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I haven’t finished the game so I will not read the spoiler text so I don’t know if that explains how Elden Ring is DS2 2 since Elden Ring is actually good to play and to look at and to listen to.

This is proof enough that Elden Ring is Dark Souls 2 2, tarnished :cheers:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Next time you play DS2 try turning on the TV.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Managed to beat Malenia on my 8th attempt. Simultaneously in disbelief I pulled it off and also flying high on adrenaline.

I’m sure this has been posted and figured out but I didn’t seem out any videos: her bullshit super move seems to be better dodged by rolling INTO her. Still got hit but much less doing this way.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is proof enough that Elden Ring is Dark Souls 2 2, tarnished :cheers:

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Next time you play DS2 try turning on the TV.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Elden ring is like dark souls 1 on hard mode but also bigger and better, and with sekiro mechaics added.

Pleas don't sully it by comparing it to ds2

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Ds2 was good don’t act like you all didn’t play it to completion

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't know why there's so many sex perverts on these forums that demand that we kowtow to their weird cult of thinking ds2 was good but i will never succumb

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

i don't know why there's so many sex perverts on these forums that demand that we kowtow to their weird cult of thinking ds2 was good but i will never succumb

i don't need to demand since it's objectively good due to both editions having sold well

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Shart Holes Poo.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Managed to beat Malenia on my 8th attempt. Simultaneously in disbelief I pulled it off and also flying high on adrenaline.

I’m sure this has been posted and figured out but I didn’t seem out any videos: her bullshit super move seems to be better dodged by rolling INTO her. Still got hit but much less doing this way.

i learned this with those horrible giant birds in the mohgwyn blood swamp

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vermain posted:

i don't need to demand since it's objectively good due to both editions having sold well

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Verisimilidude posted:

Ds2 was good don’t act like you all didn’t play it to completion

I didn't

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Oxxidation posted:

i learned this with those horrible giant birds in the mohgwyn blood swamp

Yeah if you can stay aggressive always do it. Most of those wave stye attacks are there for you to jump attack or roll through and the same goes for long combos since you pop out safe and they always track hard sideways.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DS2 had the largest part of the most fun weapons in the series and the best PVP.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
the more i think about it the more i hate that a significant part of the settings backstory is about a love triangle between a pedophile, a brotherfucking pedophile, and a boy that just wants to grow up to be big and strong but dies painfully because the first pedophile couldn't contain himself long enough

why did this have to be a thing. what the gently caress george. i know that part was you.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Yardbomb posted:

DS2 had the largest part of the most fun weapons in the series and the best PVP.

i dunno why they never brought mundane back, it was an interesting idea to have a jack-of-all-trades build supported like that

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It also had the best implementation of co-op with both small and large soapstones. Small white soapstones are the item that most needs to make a comeback

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Flytrap posted:

the more i think about it the more i hate that a significant part of the settings backstory is about a love triangle between a pedophile, a brotherfucking pedophile, and a boy that just wants to grow up to be big and strong but dies painfully because the first pedophile couldn't contain himself long enough

why did this have to be a thing. what the gently caress george. i know that part was you.

:shittypop: What in gods name have I been missing

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Flytrap posted:

Who? What?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It also had the best implementation of co-op with both small and large soapstones. Small white soapstones are the item that most needs to make a comeback

it was a really great idea and i'm sad it was never iterated on

it's hard to really position yourself in elden ring to be the dungeon walkthrough person, since 90% of the time i just get summoned to help clown a boss once someone's already cleared through it already. i got to briefly guide a dude through sage's cave before the connection poo poo itself and that was really fun

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I had a blast with ds2 probably the souls game I played the most next to bloodbourne.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

Yes. Blows my mind this never got brought back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Speaking of Ds2 (a good souls) I'm glad From finally got to do torches the way they wanted to 8 years ago