Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
This was my biggest REI rewards yet at $343. It was mainly due to buying a rack for my truck bed and a rooftop tent for said rack, plus we went REI heavy this Christmas. The only issue is I really don’t want a thing from REI right now. The only thing I need to buy are Speedgoat 5s, but rumor is they will sell out when released. So I’m going straight to Hoka to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

nate fisher posted:

This was my biggest REI rewards yet at $343. It was mainly due to buying a rack for my truck bed and a rooftop tent for said rack, plus we went REI heavy this Christmas. The only issue is I really don’t want a thing from REI right now. The only thing I need to buy are Speedgoat 5s, but rumor is they will sell out when released. So I’m going straight to Hoka to get them.

You should still be able to have then cut you a check. Pretty sure that change takes effect for the next rewards cycle but for this one you can still just get your money back.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The workers at the SoHo REI voted overwhelmingly to unionize! https://www.vice.com/en/article/3ab48n/rei-workers-in-nyc-vote-to-unionize-in-landslide-election

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Good.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:same:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd give up my dividends forever if they get healthcare out of it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

They can have my $37, give them health.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hell yeah

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

Looks like the dividend is now "up to 10%" of full priced items. Wasn't it just a straight 10% before?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

chupacabron posted:

Looks like the dividend is now "up to 10%" of full priced items. Wasn't it just a straight 10% before?

Yep.

xzzy posted:

Hell yep.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

xzzy posted:

+1, I'm already paying a premium by shopping at REI so they can take their margins and shove

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If I just had like 3 months of PTO I would apply for a job at REI and just immediately try to be a rabble rouser once hired. Keep pushing to unionize as soon as I was in training. Seems like it'd be a fun way to spend a week before getting fired.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If I just had like 3 months of PTO I would apply for a job at REI and just immediately try to be a rabble rouser once hired. Keep pushing to unionize as soon as I was in training. Seems like it'd be a fun way to spend a week before getting fired.

Fox is probably already telling boomers that we do this, may as well.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Gonna head up to my local REI and casual talk about the union news with my friend while we peruse the garage whenever an employee hovers near. I'm in FL so it won't do any good but the embers of unionization must spread forth.

alnilam posted:

I know when I worked in retail my favorite thing was for customers to hover near me and loudly talk about politics obviously directed at me.

good point,i retract my dumb idea.

Quixotic1 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 3, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I know when I worked in retail my favorite thing was for customers to hover near me and loudly talk about politics obviously directed at me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I tried out my injinji socks on a trail run. Pretty good. No indication that I was working toward a blister like I can normally feel. They seemed hot, but that may just be the warmer weather. Looking forward to trying them on a hike.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

On longer 4-5 day trips I would usually get a blister between my big and index toe, Injinjis completely solved that for me and have been great all around. Really recommended as good sock liners.

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Trail runners are my normal footwear for paddling/portaging trips. I’m used to them ending up soaked - I sometimes step out of my boat directly into a lake - and I also don’t really care about wet feet. But I *do* like my footwear drying out reasonably quickly so I don’t have to put on wet shoes the next morning.

Which leads me to my question. I can only find my normal shoes in a gore-Tex variant, and I have zero experience with goretex trail runners. Anyone have any opinions in general or on if there’s any major difference in the crucial “time to dry in the sun” variable?

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Goretex seems to take longer, if anything.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Uppa posted:

Trail runners are my normal footwear for paddling/portaging trips. I’m used to them ending up soaked - I sometimes step out of my boat directly into a lake - and I also don’t really care about wet feet. But I *do* like my footwear drying out reasonably quickly so I don’t have to put on wet shoes the next morning.

Which leads me to my question. I can only find my normal shoes in a gore-Tex variant, and I have zero experience with goretex trail runners. Anyone have any opinions in general or on if there’s any major difference in the crucial “time to dry in the sun” variable?

Any kind of WP/B footwear will take considerably longer to dry out.

Honestly "waterproof" trailrunners are the worst of both worlds.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Uppa posted:

I don't know anything about paddling trips but could you wear chacos or water shoes or god forbid, crocs when you're doing amphibious stuff and switch to trail runners and socks when you're on extended dry trail? How many times a day would you wind up switching shoes if you tried doing this?

Sorry to answer your question with a question. Just curious is all

Uppa
Nov 23, 2002

Okay, you’ve all basically confirmed my fears. I’ll keep hunting for my normal pair - or the pair I’ve got can probably manage another season if need be. Thanks.

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I don't know anything about paddling trips but could you wear chacos or water shoes or god forbid, crocs when you're doing amphibious stuff and switch to trail runners and socks when you're on extended dry trail? How many times a day would you wind up switching shoes if you tried doing this?

Sorry to answer your question with a question. Just curious is all

I used to use water shoes, but I need the added grip/stability of trail runners for portaging. I’d rather have wet feet than hurt myself.

I do my paddle/portage trips out of a sea kayak (before you laugh too hard, I’ve got this down to a science, complete with a yoke I designed and built myself), which means I’m getting my feet wet at virtually every portage. On a trip two summers ago I had a single day that had 15 portages in it. Changing shoes multiple times a day isn’t in the cards I’m afraid.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
I got an MSR Winburner a few months ago and it has been great. However, finding fuel for it has now become a problem. REI is out, the one local place is out.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube showing people using the green Coleman propane canister with an adapter. But most of them seem to sum up the situation with "there is a flame, and it did not explode, so I guess it works?"

I am a little more risk averse and don't want to wreck my stove and/or die. Does anyone here have experience using propane with a Windburner?

Fake edit: This would just be for car camping, and the most likely scenario is that I will just buy one of the 2 burner Coleman stoves.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I don't think it's a good idea to use propane with an isobutane stove. I'd get either a liquid stove or a cheap coleman propane one, both fuels are super ubiquitous. I used my liquid fuel stove for car camping for a long time for that reason, saved my iso stove for serious backpacking trips. Recently bought a beefy coleman one now that I car camp a bit more often than I used to and it's been a nice thing to have.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

It should be fine adapting a backpacking stove to propane. As long as the connection is good, there is no leak, and you are careful to open up gradually ("wide open" for a non-regulated backpacking stove may produce a much larger flame when propane is used).

There's also no universe where the above adaptation would be less safe than a liquid fuel stove.

That being said, propane camping stoves are cheap and probably better suited to car camping anyway (larger burner, better simmering, etc.)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I haven't been backpacking in way too long, is isobutane in short supply now?

fake edit: the REI page lists fuel as "isobutate-propane", so... maybe its okay? https://www.rei.com/product/890802/msr-windburner-stove-system

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Chard posted:

I haven't been backpacking in way too long, is isobutane in short supply now?

fake edit: the REI page lists fuel as "isobutate-propane", so... maybe its okay? https://www.rei.com/product/890802/msr-windburner-stove-system

Since the early pandemic isobutane and propane have been hard to find at times. I haven't had much trouble recently but there are probably still spots where it's all out of stock.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Has been for a while, yeah. Seems to go in and out of inventory.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah especially right now as spring approaches.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

4 person Kingdome tent on sale for $250. Really great deal for car camping. I’ve got the 4 person base camp, personally, but the Kingdome is a thread favorite and all of my REI tents (admittedly only two, the base camp and a 2p half dome) have held up for years and through a lot of abuse.

https://www.rei.com/product/147957/rei-co-op-kingdom-4-tent?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-2467-_-2906-_-3402&avad=2906_d276052e1

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Brother Tadger posted:

4 person Kingdome tent on sale for $250. Really great deal for car camping. I’ve got the 4 person base camp, personally, but the Kingdome is a thread favorite and all of my REI tents (admittedly only two, the base camp and a 2p half dome) have held up for years and through a lot of abuse.

https://www.rei.com/product/147957/rei-co-op-kingdom-4-tent?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-2467-_-2906-_-3402&avad=2906_d276052e1

I got one of these on sale a while back, but haven't used it yet. The page has said it was discontinued for a while now, and I've been wondering if I'd want to wait for whatever the next version is instead.

Turns out the new version is the Wonderland line (currently a "members early access exclusive"). I'm trying to figure out if it's actually worth returning our unopened Kingdom for a Wonderland, and honestly I'm not sure it is. It sounds like the poles and height are improved (and possibly wind stability), and there are some new vent windows. But the fly doesn't fully cover the tent (?), and there are complaints about the vestibule being small.

It's hard to find in-depth reviews so early though. And all the product reviews on REI.com are from people who got one for free early.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do sleeping bags wear out over time? I just had a crazy cold night with temps in the lower 30s, in a 25F REI synthetic bag I've used down to the lower 20s in the past. But it's about 12 years old at this point and has seen an especially high amount of use in the past year and a half since I moved out west.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yeah the stuffing can get matted down and they dont insulate as well. Storing them in a stuff bag can supposedly wear them out faster too

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

alnilam posted:

Do sleeping bags wear out over time? I just had a crazy cold night with temps in the lower 30s, in a 25F REI synthetic bag I've used down to the lower 20s in the past. But it's about 12 years old at this point and has seen an especially high amount of use in the past year and a half since I moved out west.

They can, especially if it's been stored compressed in a stuff sack for extended periods. Synthetic insulation breaks down over time, it's no l going to happen eventually. Also, have you ever washed it? Washing it might help, but especially if you dry it with some tennis balls to refluff it. It also might just be time to replace it. A decade of significant use is pretty good for a synthetic bag.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

They say to store insulated bags loose, and stuff them only when on a field trip. They take more space loose, but that's how it is. My bags have come with two sacks: big one for storing them loose, and a very small stuffsack.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I bought some cheap mesh laundry bags on Amazon to store my sleeping bags, works great

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Same, but I think mine are cotton laundry bags.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i keep mine under my bed on top of my unrolled sleeping pad

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I have a garage and all my sleeping bags/quilts are hanging on the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

One day when I have the space I'm going to hang all of mine like a meat locker.