Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Being below-average height can absolutely be both a practical disability and a social issue and no level of "self-confidence" should be demanded of the victims of systemic bullying.

That's why I took HGH and had medical interventions prolong my puberty in order to reach 6ft. Gender-affirming care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Invisible Clergy posted:

WIBTA if I put food coloring in my girlfriends shampoo?

So... his girlfriend has some kind of job that's related to her hair or overall appearance, which means she spends extra time on grooming. And he thinks that damaging her hair in a way that'll be expensive, and maybe even impossible, to fix is a fun prank that'll get her to tone down her beauty routine? Dude might as well have posted, "I'm insecure about the fact that my girlfriend puts extra effort into being hot for folks who aren't me, so I want to take her down a peg and hopefully screw up her career in the process. April Fools means she must take this in the spirit of impish fun even though I'm planning it weeks in advance without bothering to google what non-professional dye could do to blonde hair. AITA?"

I know that folks are quick to call for an acid vat around these parts, but personally I think lovely boyfriends who want to undermine their SOs should get that burned-in-a-bear thing from Midsommar.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

DoctorWhat posted:

Being below-average height can absolutely be both a practical disability and a social issue and no level of "self-confidence" should be demanded of the victims of systemic bullying.

That's why I took HGH and had medical interventions prolong my puberty in order to reach 6ft. Gender-affirming care.

Pffft, look at this weakling. Taking drugs to get taller instead of having a doctor break their bones and stretch them a millimeter at a time until they were taller.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I genuinely do not understand short guy insecurity. Like, I get how insecurity works and how people might have gotten poo poo on for their height and why it'd be uncomfortable were someone to address it, but there's so many stories of dudes who take personal offense at people around them having faces slightly further from or closer to the ground, and it is baffling to me. Standing upright is not an attack on you, my dude, and if you ever entertain the thought that it could be, you've got some severe reevaluating to do.

I'm a short dude. And because I am lazy and clueless, I never actually knew my height for the longest time. I just told people I was 5'5" and got on with my life. So did everyone else around me. Until one day my brother said, "Hang on a second, you can't be 5'5", you're about my height, and I'm 5'7". So I measured myself against a doorframe and it turns out I am 5'6 and a half.

I tell this story because, as you say, there are heaps of insecure people for whom that 1 1/2 inches would have been a huge deal. But to me, and all my friends/family it was just a shrug.

No-one I know likes or dislikes me because of my height, and whilst I do suffer from all the grab bag of crushing self hatred issues that many goons do, being shorter than average is not one of them. And being short has never affected me in any way shape or form. I have had girlfriends taller than me, and also had a girlfriend who was shorter. And they all broke up with me for reasons other than my height.

So to the wedding guy chucking a tantrum because his mates put lifts in their shoes to be taller than him, and the other dude having a whinge because he is the shortest in the photo: both of you are insecure arseholes. And that is a greater character flaw than being less tall than some other people.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Invisible Clergy posted:

WIBTA if I put food coloring in my girlfriends shampoo?

I can't wait for the inevitable glut of "it was just a prank bro" posts in about 2 weeks.

Idiot should totally try it in his own hair first.

But anyone who goes "my girlfriend loves her hair and takes a lot of effort to keep it looking good" and then decides "how can I use that to hurt her for my amusement" needs the acid swirlie machine.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for outing a squatter in my home after she damaged it and broke an agreement?

quote:

I let a friend of mine move into my home to escape from a bad marriage, under the conditions it was less than 2 months, and she not attempt to pull any poo poo with squatter/Tennet laws (she was staying for free), she had to be looking for a job and living situation while here, as well as some other stipulations. I even spent maybe 80 hours researching options and help that she refused to use when i gave the info to her.

I even gave her an extra month before dropping the shoe, and telling her she has 2 more weeks before I have to remove her.

2 days after I gave her the second deadline, she got the police involved/squatter laws/etc, and did what she could to legally be forced to stay..I was considerably livid, especially as I started to notice some damage done to the house by her or her kid..

Now for the rear end in a top hat part.

I got to 4 total Months before I had enough, I sent an email to her and her husband, detailing where she lived and the situation, as a way to make her GTF out of my house. She panicked, rushed home, grabbed her kid and things, called me a bastsrd/rear end in a top hat, then bailed out before he could show up (I was betting on her flight instincts, which was a good bet.)

After having all kind options removed, and even offering help personally of other varieties, am I the rear end in a top hat for using my only trump card? Only if so, what else could I have done?

Edit: to clarify, this dude isn't even slightly dangerous. He's just a loud prick. All bark no bite. Figured I should make that note. Her life is in no way actually in danger, she's kudt afraid of the wiry douch.

Edit 2: I took some advice from a redditer and called her mother(been friends for over a decade, small town), she is pissed that her daughter didn't say anything to her, and worried.(she didn't tell her mother ANYTHING apparently, and they talk once or twice a week) She's going to figure out where she is, and move her in with her. No, I didn't think of this, because it isn't something a normal person thinks of. So the problem side of this is dealt with, and she will be somewhere safe. Thanks reddit.

Edit 3: the death threat DMs are actually funny. Grow up.

Edit 4: she's moving in with her mother, and her mother is paying for the damage to my home to be repaired. I'm not going to be talking to her till she approaches me with an apology though. I am glad she's safe, and disappointed she threw away a 20 year friendship. Thank you to the redditers that told me to reach out to her family and inform them of what she avoided telling them.

quote:

I also have a very ..Texan.. view in how to handle thieves. Damaging my home is a form of theft. The iption i took was better than the others I was pondering.

My home is mine, and if I feel threatened or that my home is in danger, I will.... ehem... stand my ground, to defend myself and what is mine.

I was backed into a corner and had 2 options, she got the better of the 2 things I had to choose between.

also OP posted:

Lawyers and doctors ruin lives to squeeze money out of people. A few good ones doesn't redeem the incredible EVIL of the majority.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

But anyone who goes "my girlfriend loves her hair and takes a lot of effort to keep it looking good" and then decides "how can I use that to hurt her for my amusement" needs the acid swirlie machine.

Food coloring washes out unless it's mixed with bleach, but for gently caress's sake pranking just needs to stop. Even when it's completely innocuous physically, what part of these people is broken that they get off on making people unhappy?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
those durn doctors, ruining lives with their life saving medicines *snorts a line of ivermectin like it's coke*

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Food coloring washes out unless it's mixed with bleach, but for gently caress's sake pranking just needs to stop. Even when it's completely innocuous physically, what part of these people is broken that they get off on making people unhappy?

There are good pranks but the person getting pranked has to find it funny too, imo

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Armacham posted:

There are good pranks but the person getting pranked has to find it funny too, imo
Therein lies the problem: the kind of person inclined to do pranks in the first place is often not the kind of person who gives a flying gently caress about other people or how they feel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Pranking' has pretty much just devolved into excuses for abuse.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Armacham posted:

My favorite prank I’ve seen was in a wood shop where this guy’s coworkers stayed late the night before his birthday and had a “wrapping party” and wrapped EVERYTHING at his desk like a present, down to some loose individual screws and bolts he’d left on his desk. His desk was in a little alcove under the stairs so they blocked it off with more wrapping paper and put a big bow on it.

It was fun until he had to actually find stuff at his desk. Also awfully wasteful, but I’d take it over the stuff in these Reddit stories like poisoning people or telling them their mom died in a car crash.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

BrigadierSensible posted:

I'm a short dude. And because I am lazy and clueless, I never actually knew my height for the longest time. I just told people I was 5'5" and got on with my life. So did everyone else around me. Until one day my brother said, "Hang on a second, you can't be 5'5", you're about my height, and I'm 5'7". So I measured myself against a doorframe and it turns out I am 5'6 and a half.

I tell this story because, as you say, there are heaps of insecure people for whom that 1 1/2 inches would have been a huge deal. But to me, and all my friends/family it was just a shrug.

No-one I know likes or dislikes me because of my height, and whilst I do suffer from all the grab bag of crushing self hatred issues that many goons do, being shorter than average is not one of them. And being short has never affected me in any way shape or form. I have had girlfriends taller than me, and also had a girlfriend who was shorter. And they all broke up with me for reasons other than my height.

So to the wedding guy chucking a tantrum because his mates put lifts in their shoes to be taller than him, and the other dude having a whinge because he is the shortest in the photo: both of you are insecure arseholes. And that is a greater character flaw than being less tall than some other people.

This is the correct attitude to have.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yes but instead of using food coloring he should use acid.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Pranking' has pretty much just devolved into excuses for abuse.

That's all "pranking" ever was.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Just for a lark, I googled images of men's shoes with 3" platforms and uh... they are not subtle.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Crocobile posted:

My favorite prank I’ve seen was in a wood shop where this guy’s coworkers stayed late the night before his birthday and had a “wrapping party” and wrapped EVERYTHING at his desk like a present, down to some loose individual screws and bolts he’d left on his desk. His desk was in a little alcove under the stairs so they blocked it off with more wrapping paper and put a big bow on it.

It was fun until he had to actually find stuff at his desk. Also awfully wasteful, but I’d take it over the stuff in these Reddit stories like poisoning people or telling them their mom died in a car crash.

A coworker of mine was moving away, and I wanted to do something nice but fun as a prank for or on her. She loved camouflage colors, and I was limited on cash. I found something either on the forums or some other social media about a dude who bought a ton of little plastic dinosaurs, glued magnets on them, and put them all over his city, and took pictures of them and where people moved them. Was cute. So I bought a bag of plastic army men, camo colored ones, and one day at work, on my break I found her car in the parking lot, and covered it with about 100 of the little bastards, staging out battles and using them to spell her name, etc.

She loved it when she found them.

AITA if I’m pissed that my dying mother baptized my children against my will?

quote:

About 7 months ago my mom got a terminal cancer diagnosis. They said 6-12 months left. My husband and 3 children moved in to her house to help take care of her till the end. I will be inheriting the house after she passes.

My mother was raised devout Catholic. We never really went to church or practiced the religion growing up but it was important to her. When my siblings and I were born, she baptized us all herself with holy water and the prayer. I never thought it actually counted but it didn’t end up mattering because I’m completely agnostic.

Onto the problem. When we moved in, my mom offered to baptize my children the same way she “baptized” us. I told her no, I’m not religious and am definitely not raising them to be. She was shocked to say the least. Said she was worried about my kids immortal souls. I told her under no circumstances are my kids getting baptized. She said okay. Yesterday, she told me she baptized them each at different times when I wasn’t in the room with them.

I am livid. My mother and I always had a rocky relationship, full of drama and bs. But the last few years I thought were different. But this shows me she still hasn’t changed. My family and friends are spilt. Some say I should drop it because she’s dying and giving us the house and some understand where I’m coming from. So, AITA if I keep this grudge against a dying woman?

I was going to ask how devout you can be if you baptize the kids yourself but then I realize these people might be loving snake handlers or poo poo.

Wasn't there a Catholic priest who was kicked out recently, not for loving kids oh no, but because in his baptisms he said "we" instead of "I?"

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Invisible Clergy posted:

That's all "pranking" ever was.

It depends on who you and your friends are. The Jackass guys prank the poo poo out of each other and have a tonne of fun doing it. You need to know your audience for this sort of thing and if you're asking reddit for advice you definitely don't but it is possible for it to be fun for all involved even if others might justifiably lose their poo poo at something.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cowslips Warren posted:

Wasn't there a Catholic priest who was kicked out recently, not for loving kids oh no, but because in his baptisms he said "we" instead of "I?"

See, that's a reason to oust a priest that the Vatican can understand!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Send Nana a video of the kids saying the shahada and call it a day.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

The best prank I remember seeing was done at a star wars convention or something and people would get their photos taken with someone cosplaying Darth Vader or whoever and then Mark Hamill or another actor would sneak into the picture so you'd get your picture back and surprise! A cool famous person was in it too!

Ok I got the details wrong but this is very sweet. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dz2UnciOIfI

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Re short dudes, maybe "quit being a big baby" isnt the anti-toxic masculinity slogan you all want it to be. I mean yeah, youre all bang on that these dudes shouldnt care at all but it's not as if these insecurities just breed out of nowhere and you cant just make them go away through rational willpower. That guy (short dude, not wedding dude but him too probably) needs therapy badly, not people telling him to bootstrap his brokebrain. Even he can tell theres a problem, hes so close! He just needs a positive direction.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for feeling humiliated by my boyfriend’s extremely childish hobby?

quote:

My (23f) and my boyfriend (26m) S have been together for almost 8 months. I moved into his place a few weeks ago.

My boyfriends apartment is nice except for one thing: he LOVES to collect action figures. He has been doing it since he was really young and he probably has 200 of them. My problem isn’t necessarily with his hobby, although I think it’s pretty odd, but he displays them EVERYWHERE. He claims they’re “decorations” but I think it’s kind of strange. I told him a few times that it was an odd hobby and I hoped he would do something with them before I moved in, but he ignored me.

Typically I can ignore all the toys everywhere, but my parents recently asked to visit me now that I’m living with S. My parents have never been to S’s place before and I didn’t want them to be weirded out by all the toys everywhere when they really like him. I asked S if he could put the toys away somewhere and he said no. I explained to him that it would disturb my parents and he offered to move the stuff from the living room into the guest room temporarily. I said this was my apartment too and wanted to show my parents the guest bedroom. I told him to put them all away. I was kind of hoping he would agree and forget about them for a bit so I could decorate the walls how I wanted. Instead, S ignored my requests.

Because I felt continually ignored i became really upset. It might sound petty but I slowly started taking some of S’s toys and selling them online. I figured the money could go to new decorations. I was selling the ones he didnt like as much anyway.

The day my parents came, i waited for S to leave for work and put the rest of the toys into boxes. I hid them in closets so my parents wouldnt have to see them. My parents came and everything was great until S came home. He saw that everything was gone and he was furious. He flipped out at me in front of my parents and said what the heck did i do with all of his collectables? I told him we could talk about it later and he said he wanted to talk about it now. My parents became uncomfortable and decided to leave. I got really angry at S because i had been looking forward to showing my parents my new apartment and he ruined it. I showed him that the stuff was just boxed up and said it wasnt a big deal. He said I couldve damaged it but I thought that was kind of silly because most of them are plastic material.

S ended up pulling everything out and setting it up. Apparently he keeps a list of all of the toys, the dates they were made, and other things about them. He realized some were missing and he lost it on me and said I was a horrible ahole and that he didnt want to see my face the rest of the night. I started crying and went to the bedroom. He slept on the couch that night and wouldnt talk to me the next day.

I’m starting to feel like maybe I shouldn’t have done it but I felt like he left me no choice and I should be listened to because I live here too.

AITA

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Evil Willow posted:

Wood chipper.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Willow posted:

already gone and account deleted/banned.

wonder what kind of support she was getting from her social group if "yeah I stole and sold his things" is something she freely admits to with no shame.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

pentyne posted:

already gone and account deleted/banned.

wonder what kind of support she was getting from her social group if "yeah I stole and sold his things" is something she freely admits to with no shame.

Probably universal. After all, if someone's possessions aren't something you like, it's ok to steal, destroy, or sell them. There are a lot of stories like this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Women and men are raised to have hateful contempt for each others' hobbies and belongings.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Evil Willow posted:

Whilst I will be talking about this one specifically, I feel that this, (like a lot of other ones that come up), is a tiny petty thing that could have been avoided with the smallest of communication, or understanding.

How hard is it to say "My parents are super conservative. Can we take down the toys when they are here coz it would embarrass me?" Whilst it is his house, many people have done a lot more just to please the in laws, and it's not a huge imposition to chuck your toys in a box for a day. Even if just to keep the peace.

Also, lets say you are embarrassed by your boyfriends toy collection and your parents raise an eyebrow, or comment on them when they come over:
"That's a lot of toys for a grown man to have..."
"You're right mum. But he collects them, and they make him happy. Also some of them might be worth lots of money some day."

Bingo bango. Any normal parent, even a conservative one, would accept that as a slight quirk of their daughters manchild boyfriend, and move on with their lives.

But secretly taking the ones he doesn't notice and selling them? Or hiding the fact that you are so image conscious in front of your parents that you must hide all evidence of your boyfriends innocent hobby from them? These are not normal things to do.

And I just noticed that it wasn't even her house! They don't live together. Not saying that she would be entitled to sell his poo poo if they did, but she would have more say in how to "clean" up the apartment for her parents visiting.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Women and men are raised to have hateful contempt for each others' hobbies and belongings.

Have we seen any gender flipped versions of this basic post archetype in this thread or threads past?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Invisible Clergy posted:

Have we seen any gender flipped versions of this basic post archetype in this thread or threads past?

Probably. Am reminded of the thread where a woman flipped out that her boyfriend used an apparently rare tube of lipstick for writing on the mirror... though with the rub that it had been left in his bathroom drawer, and apparently she just leaves her makeup supplies literally everywhere in the house with no apparent organisation.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Evil Willow posted:

There was a variant of this one where the guy was collecting action figures in part because his dad was an abusive shithead who wouldn't let him have any as a kid, so of course the guy's wife called said abusive dad to come over and throw out all the action figures.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for losing it on my brother and SIL, calling them crazy and selfish after finding out who their sperm donor is?

quote:

This is an extremely weird situation.

Nobody in my family knew this until recently but a while back I (27M) donated sperm to make some money. Guessing you know where this is going.

Months ago my brother “Chris” and his wife “Janette” talked to me about them deciding to have a baby by using artificial insemination. My brother has problems with fertility. They did treatment for 2 years. Then they decided on adoption when that didn’t work. Then the parents changed their mind and kept the baby. Basically they’ve been threw it and just want to have a baby.

They found out I’m a donor because they looked on the same site. None of my personal info is on it except for a childhood picture of me and some vague info of what I studied in school and stuff. But obviously Chris recognized me. And they both sat me down pretty much to ask for my blessing about using my sperm. I said no. There’s no way I’d be comfortable with something like that. Yeah I donated sperm because I needed money but any child born from thag would never be part of my personal life. Not at least for like 18 years or ever if they don’t reach out.

I’d see this kid constantly because our family gets together almost 2-3 times a month. My brother lives 5 minutes from me. And then I said it’s just plain weird for my own SIL to be injected with my sperm, carry a kid that’s biologically mine. Then one day that kid finds out their uncle is their biological father. Just…no. They were put off by my answer. But never brought it up again so I thought that was it.

Months later they announced they’re pregnant. Everyone knows they used a donor. What none of us knew is that they still went with using MINE. My brother was distant for a while until he came out and told me the truth because he was starting to feel bad and the baby’s going to be here soon.

I felt a rush of so many emotions but most of all I was angry. And yeah I did call them selfish and crazy because did they didn’t consider how this would affect the child when they found out about their biological dad. How would that affect them mentally. And also what it would do to me seeing my biological child all the time. How that would gently caress with my mind. SIL was crying, my brother got mad at me for insulting them after everything they've gone through.

My parents know everything now and they’re involved. First they are pretty upset with my brother for going along knowing they didn’t have my okay. But they think I didn’t have a right to judge who they are as parents. My brother especially thinks I’m an rear end in a top hat because it’s not my place to decide who they used as a donor since I’m the one who donated in the first place.

They are right I don’t have a right to decide what they do. It’s just so loving bizarre and I’m feeling a lot. But does it make me an rear end in a top hat for still basically insulting them as parents?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Invisible Clergy posted:

oh yes

AITA for hiding my girlfriend's skincare?

quote:

Basically I hid my girlfriend's skincare collection. I was planning on throwing it all away, until she freaked out about it. My girlfriend has had sort of an obsessive hobby with buying skincare since before me, and it's only gotten worse since we started dating (dating about 4 years, we're both 23 now). She picks up extra shifts on the weekend just to afford the newest, most interesting products. At first I was supportive of her hobby, whatever makes her happy I guess. But lately I've been struggling to understand why she buys these things. We have separate bathrooms and in every single drawer is another toner, cleanser, or exfoliant. She's in school to become a dermatologist, but seriously. I don't know anyone IN SCHOOL with this much of a collection. I've tried for months to tell her this isn't healthy and she needs help, but she tells me because she pays the bills in our apartment and for my food and "other hobbies", she's allowed to do whatever she wants with her extra money. But to me it's completely wasteful. She's already gorgeous with incredibly lovely, pillow-soft skin with not a single scar. She literally has the best skin everywhere on her body, it's like she's been loving airbrushed. This doesn't matter to her though, as she is always having packages show up and new additions to her "collection". Here's where I think I messed up.

My girlfriend spends about 12 hours in a double shift at work, and after she left I decided to load all of her skincare in MULTIPLE black trash bags and just put them in my truck. I wasn't going to go crazy and throw them away, I know this stuff is worth 3-4 THOUSAND dollars. Some of this poo poo is literally in loving boxes. I just wanted to try to show her she didn't need any of it. When she came home at around 12am exhausted and just wanted to wash her face (she "has to") all of her products were missing, obviously. She immediately came to me in almost hysterics about how everything is gone and she thinks we were robbed. I told her we weren't, and that she doesn't need all this stuff because she's beautiful already. I told her I took it away (didn't say where) because she doesn't need all this garbage. Within seconds her mood changed and she wouldn't even look at me. She took her blankets to the couch and slept there, crying. She was being so dramatic I decided to just get the stuff from my truck. I brought the bags in and dumped them on the floor and she started sobbing. She said some of them were gifts from her father that passed away, and she thought she would never get to see them again (he apparently wasn't good at gift giving but knew this passion of hers? Yeah.)

AITA? I literally gave her the stuff back and I don't believe her dad would just suddenly give her gifts, as she's said in the past he struggles with buying gifts. I really don't wanna lose her, I want to marry her. She's the most beautiful woman and kind soul I've ever met.

EDIT: Alot of people have been calling a troll because my girlfriend's family has unusual beliefs about how men should stay at home. I don't know how to explain that's how she was raised. Also, the fact I didn't know what a studio apartment was. Jeez, sorry not knowing what apartment styles are is worthy of you all ridiculing my loving life as a "joke" and "troll". gently caress off.

EDIT 2: I see alot of comments claiming my girlfriend has a lot of money so why does she have to work? Newsflash assholes, not everyone spends the money they have. Plus, she isn't in medical school full time (she's doing studies, she does apprenticeships but isn't in a full blown John Hopkins.)

EDIT 3: We broke up and she's blocked me on everything.

the details that come out in the comments are even better. It's revealed the GF is basically a trust fund kid who barely uses any of it, and just want to live a simple, somewhat aesthetic life aside from the expensive skincare she spends her own work-earned money on. The OP has every thing paid for by her as well.

quote:

She's said before she doesn't care where we live she just wanted to be with me and our cats. I just don't get if you have the means to have a nicer place, why wouldn't we get one? It's like she sees zero purpose in getting a place that is nice rather than just a bed and water.

quote:

I could get a job, but she has told me I don't have to if I don't want to because she has the means to pay for everything.

quote:

We live in a lovely studio apartment that she refuses to upgrade from. I just want to live somewhere nice we can relax together instead of constantly having her go to work and spend money to hang out with friends or get all her school hours in. It's like noone here or our friends sees my side at all.

quote:

That's not the same, the PS5 atleast provides some form of entertainment for the both of us. Her skincare hoarding only benefits her.

quote:

Just because she pays for everything doesn't mean I'm not entitled to saying what money goes to. I don't think she needs an expensive facial four times a week, even if I'm not paying for it. She's just throwing her money away.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

that one's double amazing because like, dude why do you think her skin is so good

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Invisible Clergy posted:

EDIT: beat me on the skincare one!

Here’s a couple classics:

quote:

AITA for telling my wife I wanted her to wear something less embarassing?

Sounds bad but let me explain:

Long story short, my wife is an ancient history buff. She speaks Classical Latin and can at least read some kinds of Greek. she REALLY knows this stuff. She is OBSESSED. Sometimes it’s kind of awkward because she will use weird latin no one knows and then explain it but it’s whatever. Obviously watching movies like 300 with her suuuucks. She has a big interest and it’s pretty cool overall.

But she’s taken it a little too far. She had me help her build this HUGE loom and she melted down lead shot to make weights for it. It’s gigantic and she wove huge sheets on it she wears as togas. Idr what she actually calls them they’re like dresses and she said they aren’t togas but idk. Stereotypical greek statue look. She wears them ALOT. At first it was just around the house but then she made a fancier one out of like silky stuff that she dyed, and she wears it out at least once a week. Yesterday we ran into some friends we haven’t seen since lockdown at a park. She was wearing the dress.They I invited us to go to a beer garden later. In the car, I told her we were going home before going out so she could change. She got really upset and told me she was really excited to talk to them about how we built a loom in quarantine and how she made it on her loom and dyed it “accurately.” I just don’t think it’s appropriate for her to wear what is basically a costume out with friends, and I don’t want her talking about it all night. She argued that lots of modern dresses have the same look and that with gold sandals and jewelry on she just looked dressing. I got pretty mad and told her I was embarrassed to be seen with her in a weird toga costume. She decided to stay home. So not changing clothes was more important to her than seeing our friends. She hasn’t talked to me since then, last night. Am I the rear end in a top hat?

TL;DR I didn’t want to go out with friends while my wife was dressed in essentially a costume she made.

quote:

AITA for not liking how my girlfriend dresses for work?

So I (43M) don’t think I’m in the wrong here, but my mother is very angry at me, and my best friend said I was a horrible person for saying what I did and I’d be lucky if my girlfriend didn’t put me out with the garbage, since I decided I wanted to act like trash.

My girlfriend (34F) is a preschool teacher and for some reason I can’t explain she dresses like Ms. Frizzle. Like a dress with the pattern of whatever they are studying. She makes a lot of them herself, now including matching masks. The kids love it, and the parents seem to think it’s great. I don’t like the amount of attention she gets honestly. I’d prefer if she came home and changed before running any errands.

On Friday, she helped my mom with something after work and she was still in her weird dress. I have told her before I don’t like when she dresses that way, but she tells me I don’t have to like it, but I have no right to tell her how to dress. I was upset she went out like that with my mother, and told her that my mom said she was embarrassed and to ask that she please not dress like that again if they’re going out. I was not expecting her to call my mom and apologize. When my mom asked what she meant, she told her what I said. My mom was furious, explained she doesn’t have a problem with how my girlfriend dresses and thinks it’s great she spends extra time doing things to engage her students. My mom then yelled at me for lying to my girlfriend and trying to throw her under the bus because I was being an insecure jerk.

My girlfriend and I got into a huge fight. I said she should be embarrassed to be seen in public like that. She said the only thing she was embarrassed by was me. She hasn’t spoken to me or done anything for me since. My friend said I was horrible and called me trash. I shouldn’t have lied, but I think my girlfriend should take what I think about her clothes into consideration and I’m not sorry for expecting her dress more appropriately in public. Am I really such an rear end in a top hat here?

EDIT: I’m sure you all will be pleased to know we broke up tonight. She said I’m to controlling and narrow minded so she broke up with me.

Wasn’t there also one with a girl who liked drinking out of mason jars and her boyfriend got rid of all of her glasses or something? Also the one where the guy threw out his indigenous girlfriend’s “smelly” leather pouch that had her umbilical cord and late dad’s cigarette butt in it.

Goddamn these stories occupy too much space in my brain.

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 13, 2022

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

There was also the guy that yelled at his girlfriend because she was crocheting instead of cleaning up after her roommate. I think part of his beef was that she was keeping the crochet animals she made instead of selling them? Like her hobby shouldn't just be for relaxation rather than profit.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
This reminds me of a flipped-gender Ms Frizzle story...

AITA for dressing in a way that was “embarrassing” for my boyfriend?

quote:

So I’m a girl. I love to dress up on my days off, because I work full time and I just personally find it fun.

One day, I wore a loose, thick, purple, sweater dress with a jack o lantern on it, striped white and black leggings, with some doc marten boots and a black bow in my hair to go out for errands. I have curly hair with bangs.

My boyfriend remarked I looked like a Tim Burton character, and side eyed me.

He was making comments on being embarrassed to go out with me the whole day.

He told me to please not go out like that again, and that I was being embarrassing.

So much so he didn’t want to go to a store where people would recognize us. I felt bad and he got a bit upset with me and my ensemble. We live somewhere where everyone wears shorts and tank tops, so it’s definitely sticking out a bit.

AITA for embarrassing my boyfriend by dressing in that way?

EDIT: This story!

quote:

So I (43M) don’t think I’m in the wrong here, but my mother is very angry at me, and my best friend said I was a horrible person for saying what I did and I’d be lucky if my girlfriend didn’t put me out with the garbage, since I decided I wanted to act like trash.

My girlfriend (34F) is a preschool teacher and for some reason I can’t explain she dresses like Ms. Frizzle. Like a dress with the pattern of whatever they are studying. She makes a lot of them herself, now including matching masks. The kids love it, and the parents seem to think it’s great. I don’t like the amount of attention she gets honestly. I’d prefer if she came home and changed before running any errands.

On Friday, she helped my mom with something after work and she was still in her weird dress. I have told her before I don’t like when she dresses that way, but she tells me I don’t have to like it, but I have no right to tell her how to dress. I was upset she went out like that with my mother, and told her that my mom said she was embarrassed and to ask that she please not dress like that again if they’re going out. I was not expecting her to call my mom and apologize. When my mom asked what she meant, she told her what I said. My mom was furious, explained she doesn’t have a problem with how my girlfriend dresses and thinks it’s great she spends extra time doing things to engage her students. My mom then yelled at me for lying to my girlfriend and trying to throw her under the bus because I was being an insecure jerk.

My girlfriend and I got into a huge fight. I said she should be embarrassed to be seen in public like that. She said the only thing she was embarrassed by was me. She hasn’t spoken to me or done anything for me since. My friend said I was horrible and called me trash. I shouldn’t have lied, but I think my girlfriend should take what I think about her clothes into consideration and I’m not sorry for expecting her dress more appropriately in public. Am I really such an rear end in a top hat here?

EDIT: I’m sure you all will be pleased to know we broke up tonight. She said I’m to controlling and narrow minded so she broke up with me.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 13, 2022

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Crocobile posted:

The one where boyfriend had a rich girlfriend who was happy to be the breadwinner and have her boyfriend stay home and play videogames. He talked about how she had perfect skin and didn’t need to spend so much money on skincare so he put all her skincare stuff in a trashbag and hid it.

I think there was another where a boyfriend complained about his girlfriend wearing too much makeup and decided to “clean up” the bathroom and dumped a bunch of it.

There’s a few where the boyfriend is embarrassed by the girlfriend’s cool hobby, like the teacher who dresses like Ms Frizzle or the lady who made her own classical Greek dresses using period techniques, but the boyfriends were just verbally/emotionally lovely (no property destruction).

Wasn’t there one with a girl who liked drinking out of mason jars and her boyfriend got rid of all of her glasses or something? Also the one where the guy threw out his indigenous girlfriend’s “smelly” leather pouch that had her umbilical cord and late dad’s cigarette butt in it.

Goddamn these stories occupy too much space in my brain.

Ah yes, I remember all of these stories. Thanks. Just to be clear, I had asked not in an mra/gotcha kind of way but to see how the ones where the man fucks up the woman's hobby are different and if they have a different shape to them. It looks like they kind of do. In many of these it looks like a line that can be drawn through them is the boyfriend sees something that is giving the woman joy that is not him so schemes to spoil or destroy it somehow.

In the vein of the ancient greek dresses, this also calls to mind the one where the gf is a rich, nice, hardworking person who owns some pets and allows the bf to lounge in his mancave without getting a job or doing any housework since she can support them both and he made a long hateful post about how she's always showing him up with how much better she is than him as a person in all aspects of their lives.

I think he tried (unsuccessfully) to sell, kill, or rehome her pets while she was at work and this finally conjured a spine in her body and she told him mildly it wasn't ok. He called her "fake" for donating to charities and she asked what he meant, he said "charity for x cause is not good, you should donate to charity for y cause" and she innocently asked him for suggestions on some for y cause which he of course could not provide because he was just being a piece of poo poo. Eventually, she came to her senses and left him. If anyone can find it, it was a good post. I think she might've owned lizards? (She was a responsible pet owner and not a pet hoarder)

The medicine bag one hurt to read. In the first line, I was like "please, tell me the girlfriend isn't indigenous and OP threw out her umbilical cord bag" but of course that's what happened. Amazingly, she did get it back, and blessedly had the sense to take the bag out of the trash and put OP in.

Evil Willow posted:

This reminds me of a flipped-gender Ms Frizzle story...

AITA for dressing in a way that was “embarrassing” for my boyfriend?

I love the Miss Frizzle story. I am reminded of its Dark Judge counterpart, the MPDG woman who dressed like a clown/the six flags old man mascot and her bf and friends were beginning to get sick of it.

Invisible Clergy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 13, 2022

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

pentyne posted:

oh yes

AITA for hiding my girlfriend's skincare?

the details that come out in the comments are even better. It's revealed the GF is basically a trust fund kid who barely uses any of it, and just want to live a simple, somewhat aesthetic life aside from the expensive skincare she spends her own work-earned money on. The OP has every thing paid for by her as well.

oh my god yes, I saw that post and this was the first one I thought of

Homeboy could've spent the entire rest of his life playing videogames and banging his hot girlfriend, but no, he blew it up over loving skincare products

Evil Willow posted:

Also this one

Help me Reddit, my girlfriend loving rules, what do I do

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Here's probably the best ever gender swap for a "I didn't want a child" story

I got a girl pregnant and she wanted to get an abortion but I didn't want that. She ended up not getting one but now she is not involved at all

quote:

We weren't in a serious relationship when she got pregnant. She has never met our son. Even after the birth she had no desire to see him. We went to court to figure custody and support could be figured out and I have 100% full legal and physical custody. Her name is on the birth certificate but she has no custody and no right to visitation or to make things like medical or education decisions. She didn't want any of that. Every month she pays 125% of the court ordered child support. She says that if I ever marry someone who wants to adopt him she will agree but until then she'll pay support. It's been this way since our son was born.

I'm raising our son all on my own. He is 18 months old now and he has never met her and I don't even have any photos of her even. I am burned out and hate being a single parent. I love my son but I resent him. My family tries to help when they can but I do it most of the time. I would never hurt or neglect him but I am exhausted all the time. I tried to go to court to give her split custody but because she wanted an abortion and I didn't and she made it clear she would never be involved after the birth, and because we went to court when he was 6 months old but because we already went after he was born and agreed on things and now she pays more support than is court ordered the judge said he can't force her to look after him. I haven't seen her in almost a year and the last I heard she has a tummy tuck and laser stretch marks treatment and is working at a gym. She also told her friends and family she is an egg donor and not a mother. She is a deadbeat mom and the court won't do anything and is forcing me to struggle as a single parent. Do I have any legal remedies here?

quote:

I never thought that she could turn her back on her own child. I honestly thought she would bond during the pregnancy and would eventually change her mind. Even if she turned down my offer to be in a relationship I never thought she would actually abandon him without a thought and without seeing him or even trying to know his name or sex. She was so drugged up during the birth that I don't even think she knows if he was born before or after midnight. I didn't expect it to go like this to be honest.

She is a deadbeat. She doesn't have anything to do with him and has left me to do everything as a single parents. I want to know if I have any legal options to make her help parent the child she helped create.

I want the courts to give her visitation or custody so that I can have a break and she can actually parent her child. I'm not on public assistance because with my job and her support I don't qualify.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Mx. posted:

AITA for outing a squatter in my home after she damaged it and broke an agreement?

Just so I know I'm not crazy, OP is saying that he would have murdered this woman if she didn't leave his home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Dazerbeams posted:

Just so I know I'm not crazy, OP is saying that he would have murdered this woman if she didn't leave his home?

Yes, despite him doing basically the only thing that neutralizes Castle Doctrine, which is invite her willingly into his house and have a formal agreement in place saying so.