Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

tbf Sherman and his troops burned indiscriminately. "War is hell", he said, and then proceeded to make it so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/most_opppressed/status/1502140029598003201?s=20&t=u432zImDZrXZbqreZbs2FQ

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Karma Comedian posted:

I am also currently cyber bullying this man. Are you the drums guy?

Lmao no but I went to high school with him!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The website called it a plantation

Ok I'm not sure why two seperate venues are being talked about but the one I was talking about was Adams Pond, not Wavering. The OP says she got married at Adams Pond, then the reply quotes Wavering which is not the same venue. They're about 10 miles away from one another. Wavering is absolutely a plantation.

https://millstoneatadamspond.com/

EDIT: Ok, after digging around the land the house at Adams Pond is built on was owned by the same family as Wavering in the 1700s. None of the structures from the plantation there are still there, or at least not on the property of the venue or house that was built in the 1920s.

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Mar 12, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

EDIT: Ok, after digging around the land the house at Adams Pond is built on was owned by the same family as Wavering in the 1700s.

Oh yeah there definitely would never have been slaves on that property or the original building nope no sir those slaves were only allowed on one plot

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I'm probably over analyzing this but this made me really sad.

Not only does it suggest that their favorite food is restaurant chain food, but they are also so estranged from home cooked food that they consider chain restaurant food to represent their country's cuisine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Oh yeah there definitely would never have been slaves on that property or the original building nope no sir those slaves were only allowed on one plot

...That applies to most land of the south considering who owned it all back then. The original building(s) is not there. I don't see the point that you're trying to make? The Adams Pond venue is absolutely not a plantation-chic venue that a lot of the southern wedding industry is obsessed with. Saying that girl got married at a plantation is not correct, other than that the land was formerly part of a plantation, again, like most of the loving state.

I got married by a river at a state park in the area and had a reception in the community center there, on land that was definitely owned by slaveowners in the 1700-1800s. That doesn't mean I got married at a plantation.

Bottom Liner has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Mar 12, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

"Burned by Sherman's troops" like why though?

Remember that Sherman wanted to crush the south so badly that it would never, and could never, pull this poo poo again. So he wasn’t just torching military buildings and plantations but also wanting to cripple it economically as well.

I don’t know the history of this particular mill, but the fact that Sherman burned it down really only means that he passed it on the way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bottom Liner posted:

...That applies to most land of the south considering who owned it all back then.

It wasn't a plantation. She claimed there were no slaves there. There definitely were, even if the original building burnt down. I don't really care if they built a new building or something. I just wouldn't get married at a place like that regardless of how new the building is.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

lobsterminator posted:

I'm probably over analyzing this but this made me really sad.

Not only does it suggest that their favorite food is restaurant chain food, but they are also so estranged from home cooked food that they consider chain restaurant food to represent their country's cuisine.

Most Americans would describe "American food" in terms of the menu of an "American style" restaurant

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It wasn't a plantation. She claimed there were no slaves there. There definitely were, even if the original building burnt down. I don't really care if they built a new building or something. I just wouldn't get married at a place like that regardless of how new the building is.

Right, but the claim was that she got married at a plantation. She got married at a venue built in the 1900s on land that was formerly a plantation and is now owned by a wedding company, not the original family. She's wrong about there not being slaves there ever, and that's an extremely stupid thing to claim. I'm personally and professionally invested in all of this because its something we deal with a lot, and we chose to not shoot plantation weddings when we started our business. If we tried to not shoot at any venue that was built on former plantation land or land with direct ties to the slave trade then we would not be able to work in South Carolina.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Newer countries didn't have a whole lot of time to develop traditions before restaurants started to became common enough. Googling Canadian breakfast is mostly promo shots for Dennys and Tim Hortons. Googling traditional Canadian breakfast is the same thing, only fewer promo shots.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Just LOL at eating food for breakfast when that time is better spent rousing yourself from a coma-like sleep that has left you permanently morning-stupid as you contemplate the horrors of getting through another day.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

HOOOOOOOOOLY poo poo GODDAMN

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Newer countries didn't have a whole lot of time to preserve traditions before their indigenous people were massacred and those traditions were wiped out and replaced with lovely fast food

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The pilgrims, carrying a giant golden arches sign on their backs as they settle the new land, America.

fake edit: Did I just write a lovely late 90s McDonalds' ad?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just LOL at eating food for breakfast when that time is better spent rousing yourself from a coma-like sleep that has left you permanently morning-stupid as you contemplate the horrors of getting through another day.

I find a nice cheese scone and a coffee helps the process tho. Or at the very least, helps my morning poo along.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Oh good goons talking about food

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Somehow it feels like fish talking about water

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I do like to swim in my food, yes.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

It's more akin to Chinchillas talking about a water bath, the way some goons communicate about food, I wonder if they're space aliens trying to integrate into society. "Ah yes, Humans like to talk about food, the weather, and tipping."

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
<profusely sweating>
Ha ha fellow human, would you like to discuss the collapse of society? No? How about Chili? No?!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
All we need is for someone to bring up spices so goons can trip over themselves to prove they are the good white

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Cum is the only spice i need

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
Are those not joke responses? Those read like normal jokes to me.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Bismuth posted:

:hmmyes:

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Bismuth posted:

Cum is an herb, not a spice. Common mistake.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Cum is a condiment, you idiots. You absolute morons. I bet you don't even have your cum passes.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I used to have my pass, but i got it a little wet and it curdled.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Newer countries didn't have a whole lot of time to develop traditions before restaurants started to became common enough. Googling Canadian breakfast is mostly promo shots for Dennys and Tim Hortons. Googling traditional Canadian breakfast is the same thing, only fewer promo shots.

man

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we simply lack the cultural heritage and development to cook food

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Vib Rib posted:

Cum is a condiment, you idiots. You absolute morons. I bet you don't even have your cum passes.
Bunch I got better than a pass

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

I’m confused by this statement because two of the most common stereotypes about Canadians are about what we eat for breakfast: Canadian bacon (with the traditional Canadian breakfast being another even more secret Canadian bacon), and maple syrup.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

duffmensch posted:

They deleted it - anyone got a screenshot?

Don't have a screenshot, but to paraphrase: "At least Hitler didn't genocide any native, German-speaking Germans; Putin is killing the very people he was supposed to protect."

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

christmas boots posted:

Remember that Sherman wanted to crush the south so badly that it would never, and could never, pull this poo poo again. So he wasn’t just torching military buildings and plantations but also wanting to cripple it economically as well.

I don’t know the history of this particular mill, but the fact that Sherman burned it down really only means that he passed it on the way.

to bad he failed

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Bunch I got better than a pass

Better than most goons cum socks for sure.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AlbieQuirky posted:

Not to speak ill of the dead, but mangosteen

I still have no idea what that was about. Never really read anything to do with lowtax as he radiated unfunniness.

Also just remembered toilet paper group buys. Dunno if it was a pyramid scheme but the stuff was always slightly more expensive than in a supermarket, and I'm not sure it was even domestic (because the brand made it sound domestic and that's always suspicious).

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

snergle posted:

to bad he failed

Yeah, Grant and Lincoln made him stop early and then a few years down the road he worked off the agression by doing some war crimes against the native Americans

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Arivia posted:

I’m confused by this statement because two of the most common stereotypes about Canadians are about what we eat for breakfast: Canadian bacon (with the traditional Canadian breakfast being another even more secret Canadian bacon), and maple syrup.

I do have a western bias. No one I knew had even heard of Canadian bacon until American commercials started showing up on TV and I still don't know anyone who eats it. We ate those little pork sausages. And everyone had "butter syrup" aka flavoured corn syrup, not maple syrup. Maple glazed donuts were a thing, but that's thanks to coffee shops, not a family recipe handed down through the generations. The first time I even had real maple syrup was well into adulthood. It was expensive, and I definitely knew a lot of people who didn't want buy it because it made them seem like they might be from Quebec or Ontario, which is a sure fire way to make enemies out here.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Cum is more like a roux. You can make a sauce by adding fish stock and thicken it with corn or potato starch.

I usually just have fruit for breakfast myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/pillieeiiish/status/1502226689383813126?s=21

Further proving my theory that tiktok discourse is just reheated tumblr discourse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvqmD0CZao