Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/RoseEmojiTico/status/1501800680557842434

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Carbon dioxide posted:

Either the Doctor has much more wrist strength than I expected,

He's holographic! In theory he should have as much strength as the holoemitters allow

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
So between Stamets' spores and Culber's hydrocarbons, that pair's mission essentially boils down to traveling the galaxy huffing whatever alien chemicals they can find

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Technocrat posted:

So between Stamets' spores and Culber's hydrocarbons, that pair's mission essentially boils down to traveling the galaxy huffing whatever alien chemicals they can find

#couplegoals

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

He's holographic! In theory he should have as much strength as the holoemitters allow

You know, I was about to say it's sort of terrifying that he may be performing nanometer-precision surgery on you while having the capacity to literally rip you apart, but irl I guess we're always trusting a surgeon not to just go apeshit on our exposed organs

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Brawnfire posted:

You know, I was about to say it's sort of terrifying that he may be performing nanometer-precision surgery on you while having the capacity to literally rip you apart, but irl I guess we're always trusting a surgeon not to just go apeshit on our exposed organs

In one episode The Doctor turns evil and in a demonstration of his power reaches in to someone's chest and pokes their heart threateningly... kind of a shame this uniquely holographic ability is not shown off more frequently as a useful day-to-day medical tool

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I assume that one of the silvery tools that goes beep and has lights on it does the same thing

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Brawnfire posted:

Same reason I really, really hate having my hair cut. Monty Python definitely didn't help with that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sisko is killing Vulcans isnt he atm, I think I heard it mentioned.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

In one episode The Doctor turns evil and in a demonstration of his power reaches in to someone's chest and pokes their heart threateningly... kind of a shame this uniquely holographic ability is not shown off more frequently as a useful day-to-day medical tool

You could solve a poo poo load of episodes though with just sending the Doc over and turning on and off his solidness.
B'lana and that AI missile she created about to destroy an innocent world?
Beam the Doc over, hand wave into the computer's machinary and beam back, less than a minute.
The Year of Hell? Two minutes of the Doc doing his thing, and a year of him bragging about it.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

happyhippy posted:

One vulcan in particular

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

IDIC? More Like #1 DICK

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Brawnfire posted:

IDIC? More Like #1 DICK

I like how the writing for vulcans evolved over time into them being picky eaters with over sensitive noses that are always quietly offended by everything you do but also sometimes go sex/murder crazy or show up to ruin your favorite hobby.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/SeanTourangeau/status/1502354318938177541

https://twitter.com/SeanTourangeau/status/1502081324345184262

So here's some of Sean Tourangeau's concept designs for the CSS Worldrazer.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Ok, whoever veto'ed the cocktail weenie sized warp nacelles on top of the saucer section needs to get their head examined.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So maybe like, the Borg ship was having their equivalent of a warp core breach, they needed an assload of power to contain it safely, and whatever the ship's warp core equivalent was blowing up is what broke time, which is why the Borg were so desperate they had to breach defenses instead of opening a dialogue like "oh hey it's us your mortal enemies but we really need your help, can we borrow the combined power of your fleet for a second"

What if this and the Borg queen is Picard's mom

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

happyhippy posted:

A Sisko, it could be Jake or Jennifer (probably not Joseph but maybe he's kept alive in a synth body too)

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Eimi posted:

The thing I don't get on reflection is how General Picard and President Hansen really reflect on Picard and Seven as characters. I can forgive the minor/new characters because we haven't had seven years worth of examination of who they are as people, but we have for Picard and Seven and I don't really see how their evil counterparts really reflect on them. I guess both evil Picard and normal Picard are isolated? If Picard's sin is that he became afraid of the unknown, General Picard is a xenophobic prick but he isn't afraid of the unknown, in fact he revels in going there and putting his boot on it. With Seven it's even more muddled, because we don't know Annika Hansen, especially if in this universe she was never assimilated at all. I could see an assimilated Seven saved by the Confederacy because she's human and becoming evil, because Seven already had a cold and ruthless streak from the Borg, but I don't think those would be things Annika had without that experience.

Throughout TNG we see Picard being willing to stand by and avoid intering in situations he would personally feel confronted about. The reason he could not respond as his personal morality said is that he truly believed in Starfleet principles like the Prime Directive.

Now imagine a Picard brought up in a xenophobic world where from childhood he is taught that humans are the superior species.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oh yeah! CSS Not-The-Cylon-Raider. Right in my veins.

Now make it fight the Vengeance.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Tars Tarkas posted:

A Sisko, it could be Jake or Jennifer (probably not Joseph but maybe he's kept alive in a synth body too)

Cirric Lofton's last gig was "guard" on Days of Our Lives, so...he's available.

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Bring back neelix you cowards

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wonder if someone told him to make the alternate timeline Enterprise literally darker and edgier or was that an organic decision.

Senor Tron posted:

Throughout TNG we see Picard being willing to stand by and avoid intering in situations he would personally feel confronted about. The reason he could not respond as his personal morality said is that he truly believed in Starfleet principles like the Prime Directive.

Now imagine a Picard brought up in a xenophobic world where from childhood he is taught that humans are the superior species.

The interesting version of that is a "there but for the grace of God" situation where there's no Prime Directive and the Federation is a true Homo Sapiens Only club ruled more like modern-day America, with lofty goals in principle but in practice concerned with maintaining the power of #1 first and the self-justifying image of the moral vanguard second. Of course that would require nuance and depth and episodes full of thematically relevant content instead of turning the MU dial up to eleven, all that lameoid poo poo the olds are always nitpicking about...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Actual Satan posted:

Bring back neelix you cowards

Given the way Prodigy is going, I could see Janeway contacting a few of her Delta Quadrant friends to help her track down the Protostar. Neelix would probably be top of that list.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d be okay with Neelix coming back and getting the Icheb treatment

:getin:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

nine-gear crow posted:

Given the way Prodigy is going, I could see Janeway contacting a few of her Delta Quadrant friends to help her track down the Protostar. Neelix would probably be top of that list.

Considering Neelix already married a child, keep him away!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
In the Confederation universe, Tuvix was created on purpose by Janeway for her amusement and she refuses to kill him despite his cries for a merciful death.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d be okay with Neelix coming back and getting the Icheb treatment

:getin:
Tuvok finally finishes the job, but for real this time

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

nine-gear crow posted:

Alex Kurtzman shows up, gets assimilated by the Borg Queen as a gag, Chud Trek Twitter never shuts up about for the next 30 years.

Please universe dont let us down in such trying times by NOT making this real.

Please

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tuvok finally finishes the job, but for real this time

I'm sure Tim Russ would be willing to work for a day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tuvok is listed as the leader of the Vulcan rebellion in one of the screens.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Say what you will about the current productions, but I very much appreciate all these behind-the-scenes glimpses at the thought and effort that went in to visual designs. I also love that they have the geekiest people like Drexler working on these because those guys really get into what they're doing simply for the love of the franchise. And a paycheck for doing what you love seems pretty awesome.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wee Bairns posted:

Say what you will about the current productions, but I very much appreciate all these behind-the-scenes glimpses at the thought and effort that went in to visual designs. I also love that they have the geekiest people like Drexler working on these because those guys really get into what they're doing simply for the love of the franchise. And a paycheck for doing what you love seems pretty awesome.

The contrast between the behind the scenes stuff this year compared to Season 1 is like night and day. This time you've got the whole production crew basically posting all of their work online after every episode airs, while in Season 1 our only access to things was Michael Chabon's Instagram feed where he'd write poo poo like "Vulcans wear sunglasses now, shut up" or the like.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Mar 13, 2022

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's a traditional Orion vape.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Eiba posted:

Discovery was good. Felt like a dumbed down version Arrival.

That's, uh, supposed to be a compliment. Arrival is a very good movie.
This is a great way of putting it. I was thinking it was a more complex version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Good episode of Discovery but I definitely threw it over to my second monitor with a "gently caress I hate this show" the two times the entertainment had to take a pause for "this is a technique I learned for dealing with stress!"

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Has anyone jokingly asked the ship designers posting all these designs from Picard to reconcile them with Discovery's enormous miles-wide internal voids that the turbolift cars float through like TARDISes?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

A good poster posted:

Has anyone jokingly asked the ship designers posting all these designs from Picard to reconcile them with Discovery's enormous miles-wide internal voids that the turbolift cars float through like TARDISes?
No need, one of the special effects folks who worked on the internal void is in this thread and has explained it for us.
It was a decision from above with zero regard for actual ship design.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

So this will be the third attempt at “what if the borg assimilated earth in the past”.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

So this will be the third attempt at “what if the borg assimilated earth in the past”.

I mean at some point the queen is obviously going to betray them all, so interested to see how they move from that to 'you should totally trust this queen on the stargazer'.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think that what's wrong with Q is that General Picard and the Confederation found out a way to kill the Q Continuum in that timeline he created, so now he's all hosed up from being the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
They only need the queen to go back in time so once that's done they can just bung her down the recycling chute and dust their hands off