Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
RE: Mohg and Miquella; Gideon specifically refers to Miquella as an infant. Whether that makes more or less creepy is up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

How do soft caps work in this game? I was telling my friend that I have my strength at 65 but he says that's a bit wasted since 55 is the soft cap apparently, but I'm not sure where he's getting the info from.

I would just ask him but he hasn't replied so thought I'd try my luck here.

Also thanks everyone for telling me where to get the Grafted Scion, got an absolute revenge as my current character is after (endgame optional boss) Malenia

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Basically indistinguishable from looking at a screenshot of Armorines: Project S.W.A.R.M for the n64.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Artelier posted:

How do soft caps work in this game? I was telling my friend that I have my strength at 65 but he says that's a bit wasted since 55 is the soft cap apparently, but I'm not sure where he's getting the info from.

Also thanks everyone for telling me where to get the Grafted Scion, got an absolute revenge as my current character is after (endgame optional boss) Malenia

It's like in previous souls games where after the soft cap you won't get nearly as much damage out of each point as before it. Not nothing, but for example a weapon with good scaling might give you 3-4 points of attack power per point in strength before hitting the soft cap, but only 1 per point after it. There's no real indication that you've hit a soft cap other than just noticing that you aren't getting much extra attack power when levelling up.

As for exact numbers, I think it's just been based on players experimenting and seeing where the cutoff points are. I found this chart while googling but I have no idea if it's accurate:

The multiple numbers are basically when you hit different stages of "softness" in the cap, the earlier, the softer - so you hit diminishing returns on the first number and those returns diminish even more after the second number, and so on. In most cases it's still worthwhile to go past the first cap, when you hit the second cap is when the points turn into more of a "well I don't have anything else worthwhile to put levels into" deal.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Mar 13, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Artelier posted:

There's a bit of a weird drop in scaling from 55-60 for some reason which is why people say 55 is the soft cap but 60 is the actual soft cap for physical attributes iirc. In any case it doesn't matter because you need 60 Str if you want to one hand/dual wield Giant Crushers anyway.

Also unlike previous games there is no hard cap on Strength. If you two hand a weapon at 99 Strength you actually scale up to 148 Strength.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Artelier posted:

You keep getting benefits from leveling damage stats all the way up to 80, but really instead of trusting your friend you can just figure it out yourself:
Go to the rebirth menu and keep cranking the stat up and looking at how the AR preview for your weapon changes with each level.
You can just back out of this menu for 0 cost so you can do this whenever you want.

In DS3 different weapons had different scalings anyways, so some weapons capped out at 40 or 60 dex but some kept getting like 3-5 extra AR per level all the way up to 74.

Unfortunately the same thing doesn't work for checking out incant/sorcery scaling since the preview stats page doesn't list those IIRC.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Elder god from beyond the stars: bit dangerous, watch yourself

A dog:

https://i.imgur.com/k9ebM4T.mp4

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dogs are always dangerous in Souls games because the most dangerous enemy is always just a thing that moves a bit weird. A huge dragon with a giant lightning sword? Sure but the timing on the sword is so predictable I could dodge that in my sleep. A dog doing kind of a funny biting jump to the side that it follows up with another bite in the other direction? Fucks me up every time.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Has anyone figured out a cheese strat for these loving gargoyles beyond "respec sorcery?" Nobody's putting down co-op signs and my mimic tear is about as helpful as a fart in the wind.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Horace Kinch posted:

Has anyone figured out a cheese strat for these loving gargoyles beyond "respec sorcery?" Nobody's putting down co-op signs and my mimic tear is about as helpful as a fart in the wind.

Twin gargoyles? Moonveil katana using the l2 r2 was what got me through it. But I think anything that lets you do some other from of damage and has some vertical reach works.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

I beat Malenia and aside from that one attack that most people have trouble with, I really liked her as a fight. It took me a little over ten tries, I could get her readily down to second form, down to half health in second form. But I just couldn't keep up the dodging until I found hear weakness. Frost absolutely destroys her.

Horace Kinch posted:

Hit them hard enough to knock them down.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Nuebot posted:

I beat Malenia and aside from that one attack that most people have trouble with, I really liked her as a fight. It took me a little over ten tries, I could get her readily down to second form, down to half health in second form. But I just couldn't keep up the dodging until I found hear weakness. Frost absolutely destroys her.

Yeah my qualm is literally with just that attack. Its a legit fun fight aside from that.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

As usual "complain on internet" is always the best strategy.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

It's a powerful tactic against tough enemies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sockser posted:

Kept throwing down summoning signs in Haligtree so I could show people how to get around
But without fail, every one of them would either:
1. Die immediately to an invader, lol
2. Take 8 flaming ballista bolts to the face as I stood 100ft behind them, pop a flask, and then charge right back into the ballistae to their death

No amount of jumping, shield spamming, or HELLOOOOO plates could get them to follow me
Bless their hearts.

I got summoned a bunch of times earlier for the godwhoever/hora-loo fight, not expecting anyone to survive long enough to win after a few goes, but I hope they could see that you can jump the shockwave attacks. When they died to it, and they all did, I made sure to go where they died and try and demonstrate a jump dodge hoping they at least see and absorbed that trick.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I should rename my character to ratemyeldenbling and invade people. If they have a cool outfit, I play the “you’re beautiful” plate and leave. If they are weeboos or furries I murder them.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

look at this scrub not trivializing the spiders with a torch

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm pretty far in the game so I'm just gonna ask this slight story spoiler question cause it just popped into my head. Does the story give anyone else Bloodborne vibes? I'm at Farum Azula but like, this greater will stuff and Moon Goddesses and empyreans and the descriptions of Mohg's sorcery and stuff really remind me of the lovecraftian alien poo poo that was in Bloodborne. With bloodbound step this game really does feel like BB2, FromSoft did it again!

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Going faith heavy on my game and using the faith punch lightsaber thing, is it viable through to end game or do I need to build a second combat stat up?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Dogs are always dangerous in Souls games because the most dangerous enemy is always just a thing that moves a bit weird. A huge dragon with a giant lightning sword? Sure but the timing on the sword is so predictable I could dodge that in my sleep. A dog doing kind of a funny biting jump to the side that it follows up with another bite in the other direction? Fucks me up every time.

In that case it's not the dog/wolf moveset, it's just that rot dogs specifically have an attack that does infinity damage. Bugged? Who knows.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nuebot posted:

Basically the strat for every boss

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tirade posted:

Going faith heavy on my game and using the faith punch lightsaber thing, is it viable through to end game or do I need to build a second combat stat up?

Pure faith is gonna do you just fine. You have access to holy, fire, and lightning damage so even if an enemy is resistant to one damage type you have plenty of options.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I'm currently trying a pseudo DEX/FTH build by which I mean I really wanna do a faith build to throw lightning around but I also really wanna play around with Twinblades and the Naginata and the whip so I'm putting bare physical stats and hoping they don't turn to poo poo as I make them all Holy or Lightning.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Flytrap posted:

I'm currently trying a pseudo DEX/FTH build by which I mean I really wanna do a faith build to throw lightning around but I also really wanna play around with Twinblades and the Naginata and the whip so I'm putting bare physical stats and hoping they don't turn to poo poo as I make them all Holy or Lightning.

You get more than enough points for 40 vig, 40 end, 40 2 other stats by end game without really trying so don't worry. Just make sure you have a lot of hp

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

You know, it's kinda hosed up that a talisman as great as Radigon's soreseal is easily grabbed by a level 1 character without issues but the magical equivalent is hidden in an end-game area.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Nuebot posted:

You know, it's kinda hosed up that a talisman as great as Radigon's soreseal is easily grabbed by a level 1 character without issues but the magical equivalent is hidden in an end-game area.

INTbeciles deserve it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vermain posted:

my favorite multiplayer experience so far was actually also in sage's cave, where i helped someone get to the black knife assassin and had enough presence of mind to hurriedly get my sentry's torch into my offhand so he could actually see the boss and we beat him pretty handily

it was loving nervewracking at times because i think the guy was playing from brazil or australia or something but we managed it

this was one of the first things i noticed when i went into a cave and thought "god drat this is dark"

it's a shame it doesn't really get used at all in the legacy dungeons, and the lantern mostly obviates it, but it's still cool to see as someone who wistfully wanted the DS2 torch system to have worked out

That's really cool. I just switched to curved greatsword after trying to poke the air with magic and a rapier for multiple deaths and I eventually got him. Then I realized how good this is and it's pretty much my main weapon now

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Bloodhound%27s+Fang

MechaSeinfeld posted:

INTbeciles deserve it

Isn't the INT one not as good anyway? Radagon's Soreseal gives you 5 VIG which for most of the game means it has literally 0 downside. The fact that it gives 5 END STR DEX on top of that is just kinda ridiculous, especially since a lot of weapons have high mixed STR/DEX requirements and this basically gives you 10 levels of stats for those. Hell I imagine INT characters want it anyway, stuff like Moonveil still needs a bit of investment into STR/DEX they might not want to make.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Flytrap posted:

The Faith scaling affinities are Sacred (holy) and Flame Art (can only be accessed with the appropriate whetblade) and their scaling is... kinda inconsistent depending on weapon. Probably should look up your weapon of choice before you start dumping stones into it. I know off the top of my head the Night Rider Glaive gets a D Dex and B faith scaling with Flame Art and Sacred unlike every other Halberd on the list.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the intro and trailers had quite a lot of foreshadowing, specifically about(Massive ending spoiler)Marika/Radagon and their relation to the Elden ring's shattering. In the initial 2019 E3 teaser the "blacksmith" changes gender with each shot, and as they break the ER the cracks on their body get worse and worse(because they're basically the vessel). And near the end is presumably right after Marika shatters it. In the intro they also change genders.

Also the launch trailer straight up has shots from the final boss cutscene and one of the endings lol

Nuebot posted:

RE: Mohg and Miquella; Gideon specifically refers to Miquella as an infant. Whether that makes more or less creepy is up to you.

Presumably the creepy little person Mohg is holding in the intro is supposed to be Miquella

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 13, 2022

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I was trying to do coop, when I accidentally landed in a "fight club".

Two really weird guys invoqued a red spirit I had to fight. I lost but I was happy to experience it. The whole thing was creepy has hell but nice.

Did not recorded the whole thing, only the end:

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1502696767380410373

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

RatHat posted:

So the intro and trailers had quite a lot of foreshadowing, specifically about(Massive ending spoiler)Marika/Radagon and their relation to the Elden ring's shattering. In the initial 2019 E3 teaser the "blacksmith" changes gender with each shot, and as they break the ER the cracks on their body get worse and worse(because they're basically the vessel). And near the end is presumably right after Marika shatters it. In the intro they also change genders.

Also the launch trailer straight up has shots from the final boss cutscene and one of the endings lol

Presumably the creepy little person Mohg is holding in the intro is supposed to be Miquella

I'll have to watch the intro again to see. I really get the feeling that if we do get DLC for this game, some of it's going to involve Miquella if just because he seems to be the lynchpin to a lot of things. If you read the description of Miquella's Needle it says it was intended to ward off all outside god presence, that he made multiple, and that they are still unfinished. Obviously he wanted to clense his sister of her influence from whatever rot god was out there, but making multiple needles that work on all presences? It sounds like he had beef with the powers that be.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Eej posted:

The Faith scaling affinities are Sacred (holy) and Flame Art (can only be accessed with the appropriate whetblade) and their scaling is... kinda inconsistent depending on weapon. Probably should look up your weapon of choice before you start dumping stones into it. I know off the top of my head the Night Rider Glaive gets a D Dex and B faith scaling with Flame Art and Sacred unlike every other Halberd on the list.

Oh drat, I'd forgotten how deep into the game those affinites are in the first place, and there's not many weapons that have it naturally...eeeexcept for this kickass scythe that I wanted to use! Oh, I guess there's also the Ashes like Sacred Order and stuff I can slap onto things.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Attack on Titans x Elden Ring crossover.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dandywalken posted:

Yeah my qualm is literally with just that attack. Its a legit fun fight aside from that.

Ongbal just released his no hit level 1 vid. So if you want to see how to dodge it he does it pretty consistently

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

the Rykard midfight cutscene holy poo poo. i thought drugs were super illegal in Japan.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Late game boss spoilers:

Malenia no damage lvl 1 wretch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tOfAdBvQRQ

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I am having so much fun sitting on a platform with two buddies and using the taunting tongue. It seems that every pubbie invader thinks a glass cannot moonveil build will be able to own us, and then we shoot that madness lightning bolt at them and one shot them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

As far as I can tell the creepiness in question is just Mohg, who whilst in general the royal families and children of Godfrey/Radagan/Rennala/Marika all dislike eachother and war, they all especially find Mohg gross and monstrous for his whole deal to the point where they buried his name entirely and only his title remains in whispers. Malenia was pitied for the Scarlet Rot thing but was just a very dedicated protector of her twin brother, the both of them cursed because they're the children of only Radagan/Marika her with the rot, him with eternal youth. They're also both potential inheritors of the Elden Ring/Leadership of the land, alongside Ranni. In that the two of them are Empyreans and she intends to become Empyrean. No idea what Miquella would have done to the land, but Malenia clearly isn't actually suitable given what the Scarlet Rot is and does unless she's cured of it. She's got nothing untoward with Miquella, and is just his bodyguard because he's kinda helpless, being an eternal child.

For the record, known lineanges of the gods in question, Malenia/Miquella are the only children of Radagan and Marika together. Mohg (and Margit) are Godfrey and Marika. Ranni is Radagan and Rennala. First letters denote which god they primarily take after, but the Rs are confusing because of this. Radahn is definitely taking after Radagan for example. It is highly likely thus that Melina is a duaghter of Marika and either Godfrey or Radagan, if the latter her fires of destruction/burnt eye deal would be her equivalent curse to the rot and the child thing.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 13, 2022

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Stupid no-spoiler question: how much can I safely enchant weapons for experimentation? Are there limited or unlimited amounts of upgrade materials available?

Edit: Apropos, it feels really good to play a souls game again with a fresh set of eyes!

Smol fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Smol posted:

Stupid no-spoiler question: how much can I safely enchant weapons for experimentation? Are there limited or unlimited amounts of upgrade materials available?

By the end of the game you'll be able to buy all but the final tier of upgrades for any weapon type, but the very nature of Elden Ring means you'll probably have to open a wiki to find exactly where the bell bearings are.