Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vagabong posted:

I'd say its more accurate that they love Margaret Atwood and are obsessed with stealing her imagery to make their own hateful ideas appear more legitimate, to the point that some loving hack in the Guardian embarrassed themselves repeatedly in an interview trying to get Atwood to side with the Terfs and getting shot down repeatedly by her.

It's part of a really strange line of arguments that Terfs keep coming back to. For Atwood it's usually along the lines of "Well in your book, the Republic of Gilead doesn't recognize trans women as women either, so there!", but you also sometimes see the same argument applied to the literal Nazis. The idea behind it is supposedly that in extremis, women may be discriminated against on the basis of sex rather than gender. But that disregards that a) trans people (or really anybody gender non-conforming) will generally be treated even worse in such a situation, and b) why should we give a single gently caress about the outlook of literal fascists when shaping our own society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

...and something completely incomprehensible, those are the three pillars of Sinfest.

Despite looking like at least four or more other characters in this comic I think the hour glass backpack means this is supposed to be the year 2022, maybe? Here we go again, I guess, wheeeeee.

I hate that I spotted this, but I'm pretty sure she's meant to be the same character as the one in the second strip, based on the piercings:

Going from being the one female zombie shown to having your dream job seems like a step up to me, but I'm sure Ishida will tell us how living your dream and getting cool cyborg implants is bad actually because it's not on the approved list of Appropriate Female Aspirations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Vagabong posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/ng-interactive/2022/feb/19/margaret-atwood-on-feminism-culture-wars

Rereading it the vibe is properly weird; it starts off as a standard puff peice for an author with a new book out, but about two thirds of the way through it shifts entirely into the interviewer trying to get Atwood to support her terf views. It's a good example of how transphobes end up becoming singularly obsessed with the issue.

lmao of loving course it's Hadley Freeman. She's one of many noted transphobes in the British press (but I repeat myself) who keep spreading misinformation about trans people.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I hate that I spotted this, but I'm pretty sure she's meant to be the same character as the one in the second strip, based on the piercings:

I think she's different because of the backpack, and a slightly different top. This is the level of analysis one needs to tell apart female characters in Sinfest.

Mikl posted:

Also lol is Ishida going to actually add crypto stuff to his comics now

Yeah, the "fiat currency" mention stood out to me in this batch - I don't remember if he used that particular talking point before. On his way to a full collection of chud lore

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Perestroika posted:

It's part of a really strange line of arguments that Terfs keep coming back to. For Atwood it's usually along the lines of "Well in your book, the Republic of Gilead doesn't recognize trans women as women either, so there!", but you also sometimes see the same argument applied to the literal Nazis. The idea behind it is supposedly that in extremis, women may be discriminated against on the basis of sex rather than gender. But that disregards that a) trans people (or really anybody gender non-conforming) will generally be treated even worse in such a situation, and b) why should we give a single gently caress about the outlook of literal fascists when shaping our own society?

I've seen some terfs express the idea that trans women don't experience misogyny or sexual violence, and if they did, it was only because they were mistaken for a cis woman, and all they have to do is "reveal their maleness," and the assailant would stop.

If ever a trans person describes their own experiences of being harassed or assaulted in response to these claims, the terf will call them a fetishist who transitioned so they could get off on being raped. After all, a real woman wouldn't "brag about it."

They just get to define reality however it suits them because they don't have to actually interact with it.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

A lot of TERFs apparently place trans women in the role of the Wives in Handmaid's Tale because their whole worldview is hosed up and weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFf2p0ptdlE

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Angepain posted:

Yeah, the "fiat currency" mention stood out to me in this batch - I don't remember if he used that particular talking point before. On his way to a full collection of chud lore

I reckon he just wanted to make a pun on "Fiat club". Good chance you'll never hear about it again

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"The grim reaper confronts Vladimir Putin – The Russian president is presented with the rising body count from Ukraine"

Sunday Telegraph:

The battle for Kyiv: Russia's 40-mile convoy makes its move to encircle the capital

Sunday Times:

Crufts: the World’s Greatest Dog Show – in pictures :woof:

Mail on Sunday:

:ohdear: Poor people! :derp:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail on Sunday:

:ohdear: Poor people! :derp:

gently caress this guy in particular. :fuckoff:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

My thought on gas was that it got low due to the pandemic, and that made it a non-brainer for speculation as it was never going to stay that low. So once the pandemic ended we pretended the pandemic was over, demand shot up as people wanted to travel more than ever or had to as offices reopened. So speculators had a field day with the most obvious market prediction since “streaming might hurt Blockbuster.”

Yeah, it was so obvious I made the decision to buy a hybrid. Sure, it was $3k over the straight gas version (Sonata), but I also bought in the week before New Years', whether are trying to dump inventory. So I got it for $4k off list, bringing the cost down to $24k. My overall mpg is low 50's, and I regularly hit 60 on my commutes.

Am I a little smug when all these assholes in their oversized four door trucks and hulking SUV's whine about gas prices? Yes. Yes I am.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We cannot afford a February 23rd mentality.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Even reading that thing, the wild shift into transphobia still feels like it came out rather unexpectedly. I have trouble understanding the idea that trans-people enforce the gender binary, thus making them enemies to "feminists".
The logic is that trans people frequently gravitate towards very standard gender expressions. Trans women wear skirts, grow out their hair, apply makeup, wear jewelry, etc. Trans men eschew dresses and skirts, work out, enjoy sports, etc. I am kidding about the last one: they never focus on trans men. So, to them, trans people reinforce the binary as “women” being skirts and dresses and “men” being jeans and flannel.

There are a few major problems with this, the first being the obvious one that if you are gender X and raised as gender Y, then your first instinct is to lean as hard as possible into gender X’s societal signifiers to get away from Y. A good example is shaved legs. Women do not have naturally hairless legs, but hairy legs can be a source of dysphoria for trans women. Why? Because their society strongly encourages women to shave their legs, and that’s a very easy and affordable way to shed one’s perceived masculinity.

Another problem is just the practicality of passing. It’s better for your mental health to not be misgendered all day, and obvious binary signifiers can reduce that. Even if you don’t pass, wearing a skirt or cutting off your hair can, at the very least, have well-meaning cis people understand what you are trying to express and gender you properly. A lot of trans people will eventually settle into their own style, and sometimes that style is a butch woman or femme man. (FYI, I am leaving out non-binary people because by their very nature they aren’t going to predictably go for a particular gendered look as that heavily varies from person to person. TERFs still hate them, obviously.)

And, of course, in some areas, passing is literally required to stay alive.

Then you have the other problem: TERFs frequently weaponize the binary against trans people let’s be honest, women. They criticize height, broad shoulders, facial hair, and so on, and then turn around and accuse trans women of playing into gender stereotypes when trying to “fix” those things. They do stupid poo poo like try to keep their apps exclusive to :females: with ridiculous facial scanners. Which of loving course does nothing but reinforce the goddamn binary!

TERF ideology is just Heads-I-Win, Tails-You-Lose poo poo: very internally fraught with contradictions, and you inevitably see the sneering contempt that lies at its core. Even JK Rowling can’t maintain her faux-polite “I totally support trans people, just not those trans people” and just as early as last week joined Julie Bindel in cold-hearted jeering of a trans woman’s ptsd.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

They do stupid poo poo like try to keep their apps exclusive to :females: with ridiculous facial scanners. Which of loving course does nothing but reinforce the goddamn binary!

every time one of those apps come out, the result is always the same: most white trans women (and some white cis men!) have no trouble getting into them but women with dark skin are rejected, since the apps are just scanning for feminine european facial features. TERFs will accidentally reinvent phrenology every once in a while

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I have trouble understanding the idea that trans-people enforce the gender binary, thus making them enemies to "feminists".

Seems like just an excuse to hate on them while claiming to be a defender of women.

Reading through that Twitter retrospective it didn't take him long to start hating on nonbinary and non gender conforming people too so ya know

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Skeleton Mom posted:

TERFs will accidentally reinvent phrenology every once in a while

I don't think it's accidental.

Also, Ishida getting into crypto fits very well with the TERF lineage, which descends in part from early-internet skepticism / athiesm communities, particularly in British TERFs- since he seems to be accepting whatever talking points are put in front of him and he absolutely was part of those communities, I'm not particularly surprised that one of his sources is infested with crytpo hodlers.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

:kstare:Sinfest Sunday!:kstare:

...and something completely incomprehensible, those are the three pillars of Sinfest.

It think Ishida is into an old school religious conspiracy theory that barcodes (yes, all of them) are the mark of the beast and a sign of the end times. Basically when UPC codes first came out you could find the numbers 6-6-6 in the code somewhere and fundamentalists have been freaking out about it ever since.

So basically what this is saying is that CIS trans allies are literally being manipulated by the devil, and that this trend defines the whole year somehow.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Just to add on, from things I've gotten primarily from a few trans friends and acquaintances, is that support for transitioning is deeply, powerfully gatekept by the medical establishment in... basically everywhere. If you aren't presenting as sufficiently, stereotypically feminine, then it's depressingly common for medical professionals to then decide a trans woman doesn't "mean it." I recall one acquaintance from a while ago complaining how it actually hurt her credibility with her doctor if she wore jeans instead of a skirt to an appointment, because of course cis women never wear jeans!

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Somfin posted:

I don't think it's accidental.

Yeah this is a feature, not a bug. There's a reason so many of these terf groups are so comfortable joining up with the white supremacist-flavored conservative Christian groups.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

By popular demand posted:

Imma wilfully ignore whatever hateful poo poo this is actually about to say the US should have a department of Trans affairs and it should be led by a person in a fancy ball gown.
:colbert:

Buttigieg is the most milquetoast white gay guy since Roland Emmerich’s Stonewall movie, but to the Garrisons of the world LGBTQ are all the same thing.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 13, 2022

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Pants Donkey posted:

Then you have the other problem: TERFs frequently weaponize the binary against trans people let’s be honest, women. They criticize height, broad shoulders, facial hair, and so on, and then turn around and accuse trans women of playing into gender stereotypes when trying to “fix” those things. They do stupid poo poo like try to keep their apps exclusive to :females: with ridiculous facial scanners. Which of loving course does nothing but reinforce the goddamn binary!

TERF’s do sometimes bring up trans men, but usually with a sort of condescending pity instead of the vicious slurs trans women get. It’s like “oh, those poor girls, society is so misogynist that they think they have to pretend to be boys to get ahead.” Rowling talked in her essay about how her father was disappointed to have a daughter instead of a son, and thinks that if the “trans lobby” had been around in her youth they might have gotten her to transition. Because of course old sexist dudes are always totally supportive of their children’s unorthodox gender presentations.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

The logic is that trans people frequently gravitate towards very standard gender expressions...

Thanks PD. It's simpler than I thought but also just the more stupid. Honestly, it kinda feels like they're trying to justify their hate and bigotry. Just be honest about your transphobia, better yet, just don't be transphobic.

The fact it's so dishonest makes it ultra slimy even if it's already loving gross.

disposablewords posted:

Just to add on, from things I've gotten primarily from a few trans friends and acquaintances, is that support for transitioning is deeply, powerfully gatekept by the medical establishment in... basically everywhere. If you aren't presenting as sufficiently, stereotypically feminine, then it's depressingly common for medical professionals to then decide a trans woman doesn't "mean it." I recall one acquaintance from a while ago complaining how it actually hurt her credibility with her doctor if she wore jeans instead of a skirt to an appointment, because of course cis women never wear jeans!

But butts look so good in jeans! It's a universal constant!

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Knight 1:

Knight 2:

The Birdman Rally is a part of the Moomba festival in Melbourne where for charity people make homemade flying machines and then plummet into the Yarra river. A sopping end for the ‘Sopwith Camel’, but Birdman Rally is a soaring success (The Age).

Broelman:

Scott Morrison declares a state of emergency in northern NSW but not in south east Queensland because premier Palaszczuk said he'd left it so late they are now in the recovery phase. Scott Morrison defends move to leave Queensland off emergency declaration as ADF boosts flood recovery efforts (ABC).

Rowe:

This is after Scott Morrison's highly managed visit to Lismore in northern NSW where the media was barred from following him.

Wilcox:

Leak, Son of Leak:

The Australian's editorial line is that the media are too mean to Scott Morrison for his handling of the floods (or in general).

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile, back in 1948, Parrish and Orr (and Holland) are getting more stridently anti-Communist:

On the other hand, this is an ... interesting take.

But there's still time for their regular anti-European and anti-labor themes:

The box is labeled "Marshall," "Truman," and "Wall St.," if it's not clear.

You can guess how they feel about the UN.

This one particularly annoys me because the whole loving point of Ferdinand is that it's good that Ferdinand would rather smell flowers than fight.

There's also a bit of post-war musing to be done:

And here's a rare positive cartoon from the Tribune:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Isn't Prickly City set in loving Arizona, which mostly doesn't observe DST?

Or was there some other reason the main character was running from Arpaio that one time that got memory holed? Or that the secondary character is named after a city in Arizona?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Kellies nomination: Least concealed bigotry (LGBT)

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Kellies nomination: least concealed bigotry (LGBT). gently caress you, Ishida.

Edit: beaten but gently caress it, he can have the double nomination.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kellies nomination: most easily reinterpreted

I know what they're going for, but depicting someone actually wielding a Javelin in the children's hospital is exactly what Russia said to pretextualize their attack.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

readingatwork posted:

So basically what this is saying is that CIS trans allies are literally being manipulated by the devil, and that this trend defines the whole year somehow.

cis isn't an acronym, you don't have to capitalize it

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Mercury Hat posted:

Yeah this is a feature, not a bug. There's a reason so many of these terf groups are so comfortable joining up with the white supremacist-flavored conservative Christian groups.

i still think it's accidental but in terms of accidentally revealing that they are racists, not being racist by accident. i think some terfs understand that the more visible parallels there are between transphobia and racism (the bathroom & sports bans being easy ones to notice), the harder time they're going to have convincing anyone that one of those bigotries is acceptable. but they are fighting a losing war, their masks aren't so much slipping as being dramatically discarded entirely, and it won't be long before the world knows the truth that trans people have known forever - scratch a transphobe and a racist bleeds

it's not a coincidence at all that the same places passing anti-trans legislation are also passing anti-"CRT" laws

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

readingatwork posted:

It think Ishida is into an old school religious conspiracy theory that barcodes (yes, all of them) are the mark of the beast and a sign of the end times. Basically when UPC codes first came out you could find the numbers 6-6-6 in the code somewhere and fundamentalists have been freaking out about it ever since.

Seeing that particular weirdness resurfacing after governments started rolling out apps to check vaccine/immunity status with QR codes was certainly nostalgic. At least the anti-barcode insanity gave us this banger.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

moonmazed posted:

cis isn't an acronym, you don't have to capitalize it

not if they're referring to the confederacy of independent systems

die, jedi dogs

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Selachian posted:

This one particularly annoys me because the whole loving point of Ferdinand is that it's good that Ferdinand would rather smell flowers than fight.

I mean, even without that context, the UN not going charging after the Soviet Matador is the smartest thing it can do. Bullfighting wasn't about the Matador being beaten by the Bull, after all.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Edit: nvm, saw the words 'Aggression'on his back, you're right, it's just mid century orientalism towards Russia.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Skios posted:

At least the anti-barcode insanity gave us this banger.

This is amazing. :eyepop:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Just make sure you never learn about the horrible crimes that the Family International perpetrated against their members, so that you can continue to enjoy their 80s music videos.

I AM GRANDO fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 14, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Isn't Family International that group that said that loving Jesus was a sexual thing due to the marriage metaphor in the NT, and encouraged their members to masturbate while fantasizing about loving Jesus, and men had to imagine they were a woman so that it wasn't gay?

A quick google search reveals yes, yes they are.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Skios posted:

Seeing that particular weirdness resurfacing after governments started rolling out apps to check vaccine/immunity status with QR codes was certainly nostalgic. At least the anti-barcode insanity gave us this banger.

The only thing scarier than that video is the number of people agreeing with it in the comments.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Clay Bennett

Steve Breen

Chris Britt

Matt Davies

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Walt Handelsman

Clay Jones

Steve Kelley

Kevin Necessary

Gary Markstein

Jack Ohman

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Tom Stiglich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Guys. Guys. Did you know that gas prices are... High? What a loving revelation.

Kellies nomination: Worst "a thing happened" cartoon