Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Symetrique posted:

I know savagegeese had a different dealer experience, but the BRZ ordering process (when it opens up again) is 1000x easier than the shitshow people trying to get GRs are going through.

I won't be getting one until I can just walk on a lot and buy one so I'm not really worried about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

The same Toyota that's actively lobbying governments to get them to extend dates for phasing out ICE cars?

Talk about cynical.

That said, these seem less like actual improvements and more "simulating the gas car experience" to break in boomers.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The mass appeal of Subaru has always been a full AWD system for cheaper than anyone else. Electrification completely levels that niche. I'm sure Subaru has been in talks about it for years at this point but where is their branding is going to focus next? That active lifestyle stuff doesn't sell itself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

um excuse me posted:

The mass appeal of Subaru has always been a full AWD system for cheaper than anyone else. Electrification completely levels that niche. I'm sure Subaru has been in talks about it for years at this point but where is their branding is going to focus next? That active lifestyle stuff doesn't sell itself.

Subaru should diversify, maybe invest in the vape industry

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That said, these seem less like actual improvements and more "simulating the gas car experience" to break in boomers.

Boomers aren’t buying MT cars, 38 year old software developers who read Jalopnik are.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, I am a 38 year old software developer (or close enough to fit that demographic) so clearly Jalopnik is the problem here and needs to be eliminated for the good of all.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Goddamnit just put a stick shift in an outback with an ez36 already or I'm going to pay a shop to do it for me next time my fb25 eats poo poo somehow.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Rolo posted:

Subaru announced today that the 2021 was the last internal combustion STI and they currently aren't planning one based on the current WRX:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39413769/next-gen-subaru-wrx-sti-ev/

My 21 Limited is about to go up in price.

Welp any chance of collection a WRX STI hatch is done, here comes the price rises of anything on sale.

(gently caress Subaru)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Subaru also opened the door to potentially expanding its performance-oriented STI brand to future models.

They’re going to make an outback STI to compete with the explorer st.

So… any news on that new Integra?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

They’re going to make an outback STI to compete with the explorer st.

So… any news on that new Integra?

The new integra is a 1.5T that looks like a Crosstour

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

The production model looks better than that, to be fair

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

Rolo posted:

Subaru announced today that the 2021 was the last internal combustion STI and they currently aren't planning one based on the current WRX:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a39413769/next-gen-subaru-wrx-sti-ev/

My 21 Limited is about to go up in price.

https://youtu.be/RgKAFK5djSk

An electric STI could be cool, what’s the rod knock equivalent on a EV? Also I feel kind of dumb for thinking the “will an electric STI still be manual” headlines were stupid but I guess I’m not clicking on why you’d need a manual transmission for an electric drivetrain?

AcidRonin fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 12, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rolo posted:

There’s no body cladding so…

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

AcidRonin posted:

https://youtu.be/RgKAFK5djSk

An electric STI could be cool, what’s the rod knock equivalent on a EV? Also I feel kind of dumb for thinking the “will an electric STI still be manual” headlines were stupid but I guess I’m not clicking on why you’d need a manual transmission for an electric drivetrain?

because it’s fun

that’s literally the only reason anybody drives stick

the performance benefit of driving stick died when DSG hit the market and it died again when ZF came out with a torque converter auto that was also faster

manual hasn’t been the “performance”, “put numbers down” option in like two decades (four decades in motorsport)

people enjoy driving stick and don’t want to give up the experience

I don’t understand why this would be hard for anybody to grok

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ok Comboomer posted:

manual hasn’t been the “performance”, “put numbers down” option in like two decades (four decades in motorsport)

Sequentials and flappy paddle manaul shift mechanism are still manuals and even then a bunch of those are actually H shift motorsport gearboxes with differenting shifting tech let alone H pattern still very much is a big thing in motorsport (and no slower than sequentials). Also true H shift manuals are now doing 6 second quarters.

quote:

ZF came out with a torque converter auto that was also faster

Only in a straight line maybe.

quote:

the performance benefit of driving stick died when DSG hit the market

Thats not even really true either.

quote:

I guess I’m not clicking on why you’d need a manual transmission for an electric drivetrain?

You dont. A manual is needless complexity to a EV

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I love my flappy paddle 2017 BRZ. It's fun as hell to drive and I can air kick drum with my left foot in stop and go traffic. The shifts are plenty snappy as well, and it will bounce off the rev limiter instead of automatically upshifting.

I don't bother putting it in regular AT drive mode because for me the purpose of not being a manual was twofold: one, my left knee is a mess. Two, I negotiated the dealership way the hell down from sticker price because of it not being a manual BRZ.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yes but that’s a Toyota transmission. The Subaru automatic is a CVT that does not “shift” like that.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I really wonder about longevity of DSG and CVT. Manual in my '04 wrx wagon with vf39 is still going strong and pushing 200k with no maint other than regular fluid changes.

Sitting in washington DC traffic for any amount of time does make me wish for an auto though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Boogalo posted:

Sitting in washington DC traffic for any amount of time does make me wish for an auto though.

This is exactly why I swore off manuals after I crashed my Chevy Aveo. My knee can't do traffic anymore.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Symetrique posted:

I know savagegeese had a different dealer experience, but the BRZ ordering process (when it opens up again) is 1000x easier than the shitshow people trying to get GRs are going through.

I wouldn't count on them bringing back a low volume rear wheel drive car like the BRZ at all. The chip shortage will probably continue into 2023 and getting out crossovers to Mom is going to take priority.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Sequentials and flappy paddle manaul shift mechanism are still manuals and even then a bunch of those are actually H shift motorsport gearboxes with differenting shifting tech let alone H pattern still very much is a big thing in motorsport (and no slower than sequentials). Also true H shift manuals are now doing 6 second quarters.

Only in a straight line maybe.

Thats not even really true either.

:nallears: ok cool, I don’t even care to dispute any of this

my point was simply that cars aimed at consumers (maybe I should’ve kept it to “cars aimed at consumers” in my initial post) come with manuals because customers enjoy driving them and request them, not because it makes them faster or any cheaper to manufacture or anything like that (hell, BMW hasn’t exactly been subtle in their bemusement/wish to move on).

in any case, nobody’s talking about putting an actual physical manual transmission with a clutch plate in an EV. That would be stupid, and expensive to manufacture and maintain, and it would lead to tons of efficiency and power loss, and so forth.

when ppl talk about manuals in EVs and “Toyota patenting manuals” and all that, they’re almost always talking about a drive-by-wire system that replicates the experience of driving a car with a manual for ppl that want it.

Hell, it could even be defeatable/fully configurable (set your bite point, rollback rate, etc./use it on an early morning drive with no traffic and then switch it off during your evening stop+go commute/etc).

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Boogalo posted:

I really wonder about longevity of DSG and CVT. Manual in my '04 wrx wagon with vf39 is still going strong and pushing 200k with no maint other than regular fluid changes.

Belt CVTs from every brand don't last, but DSGs are fine. It's really a clever automated manual. For normal driving the clutches last just as long.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

daslog posted:

I wouldn't count on them bringing back a low volume rear wheel drive car like the BRZ at all. The chip shortage will probably continue into 2023 and getting out crossovers to Mom is going to take priority.

They sold out of MY22 factory order allocations in January. The cars are still being made, but with factory order wait times extending 4-6+ months, they stopped taking MY22 orders and are telling people to wait for MY23. Ordering originally opened up in July last year with the first deliveries landing in Oct.

Toyota is running into the same thing kinda. Saw that someone place a deposit on a GR in NorCal and was told that it would likely be a MY23.

Also this is the first year of the new BRZ so it would seem kinda ridiculous to scrap it after less than a year of production when they’d still have to make cars for Toyota anyway.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
2015: new WRX! Can’t wait for the wagon

2022: new WRX! Can’t wait for the STI.

:thunkgun:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Has anyone with a 2015+ Legacy or Outback had an issue where the car stalls after ignition?

Nothing else about the car is going wrong while driving - power's abundant and there's no sputtering or hesitation when stomping on the throttle. The battery has been changed from the original but this was happening intermittently even before the battery change-out.

The short-term "fix" for it seems to be depressing the accelerator after it manifests to rev up the engine - it doesn't die after that.

I'm wondering if it's a relay in the fuel pump system, bad MAF sensor, or failing alternator, but I've got no warning lights and no random noises to suggest the alternator might be ailing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Are Subaru engine bays the chassis base paint without the clear / pearl layers?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Got rid of the winter salt today. It wont last as there is rain in the forecast, but it feels like I did something useful.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Has anyone with a 2015+ Legacy or Outback had an issue where the car stalls after ignition?

Nothing else about the car is going wrong while driving - power's abundant and there's no sputtering or hesitation when stomping on the throttle. The battery has been changed from the original but this was happening intermittently even before the battery change-out.

The short-term "fix" for it seems to be depressing the accelerator after it manifests to rev up the engine - it doesn't die after that.

I'm wondering if it's a relay in the fuel pump system, bad MAF sensor, or failing alternator, but I've got no warning lights and no random noises to suggest the alternator might be ailing.

Can't say for sure. I've had three different incidents. Bad brake booster aux lines, worn fuel line connectors that let bn air in and damaged spark plug lines, which I'm pretty sure they are built into the harness at that uear

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

um excuse me posted:

Got rid of the winter salt today. It wont last as there is rain in the forecast, but it feels like I did something useful.

Hey, yo. Same. At least it's clean.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

um excuse me posted:

With the structure in the back it looks like you have a anti tank missile cage on top. Maybe I've been in the Ukraine thread too long.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Can't hit what you can't reach.

:blyat::blyat::blyat:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/MJkbQLVeFPs

come for the DJ Shadow remix/rewrite of a great King Gizzard song, stay for John Safran dancing with a BRZ

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Hello, Subaru thread. Long time no see. Short li'l trip report:

After sitting for far, far too long, I'm finally finishing up babby's first engine swap in my '02 WRX. The tired, old EJ205 came out and a JDM EJ205 went in. I've swapped over the intake, sensors, turbo and up-pipe, accessories, and a handful of miscellaneous parts. I don't know if the importer had also monkeyed with it or swapped anything else, though I've seen some folks mention that the crank gear and intake cam also need to be swapped. I'm guessing this might've already been done as it was billed as a drop-in (lol) and I haven't changed them myself, yet it fired up without much effort.

Based on the lack of AVCS, the similarity to the original engine, and some of the paint marker scribblings on it, I think this engine is a v5/v6 that came out of a very late '90s wagon. This is mainly out of curiosity more than anything: is there any way to make use of an oil cooler with (what appears to be) a temperature sensor? I'll grab a pic in a bit, but there are two plugs coming off it. The original engine's oil cooler doesn't have this and so of course there's nothing in the wiring harness that could hook up to it. Google has not been helpful on this particular point.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

The battery in my BRZ has some kind of infection

It still starts and runs with no issues, but I want to replace it sooner rather than later, along with the tray and tie down. I'm leaning towards the Interstate AGM batteries at Costco, at around $160 they aren't much more than regular flooded lead acid batteries and it would be nice to not have to deal with this issue again. Is there any reason I would want to stick with a traditional battery instead?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yea this is more what I meant, like whats the point in a drivetrain that dosn't need gears.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
lol nice

quote:

ALL NEW COBB SF FENDER FLARES

https://www.cobbtuning.com/all-new-cobb-sf-fender-flares/

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Got that rare long throw shifter mod.

https://i.imgur.com/Mjr1LDF.mp4

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Body color matched for Porsche? They clearly don’t understand the Subaru aesthetic.

Speaking of which, it was cool of Toyota to release the new STI yesterday. :sigh:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

hobbesmaster posted:

Body color matched for Porsche? They clearly don’t understand the Subaru aesthetic.

Speaking of which, it was cool of Toyota to release the new STI yesterday. :sigh:

It’s bittersweet as a Subaru fan. I’m just glad something checking all those boxes is coming to the market and I can’t wait to see one in person.

Between the Supra, 86 and now GR Yaris and Corolla, I might be slowly becoming a Toyota fan again.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rolo posted:

It’s bittersweet as a Subaru fan. I’m just glad something checking all those boxes is coming to the market and I can’t wait to see one in person.

Between the Supra, 86 and now GR Yaris and Corolla, I might be slowly becoming a Toyota fan again.

I think Mitsubishi deciding to stop doing anything remotely worth buying took a lot of Subaru's creativity away.
The only thing interesting they've done in the last 10 years was the BRZ, and Mitsubishi was still making the Eclipse at that point, so (AWD aside) they at least had something comparable. The EVO/Lancer being retired led to the WRX/STI stagnating as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Are y'all busy beating on your cars instead of posting?