Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Glottis posted:

Raised by Wolves is tough for me. I keep wanting it to be a universe where the next crazy thing that happens is more like a creative escalation rather than a completely new and insane concept with zero connection to what we've already seen. It just feels like nobody says "no" in the writing room. Felt to me like after in S1 a computer impregnates a robot with a giant snake baby that flies away they kind of moved from a steady stream of mysterious new ideas to getting pelted with them non-stop with no time to sink in.

Reviewers and people on the internet seem to just enjoy the ride, but the show keeps changing the status quo so quickly that it's hard for me to feel invested. "Batshit" and "body horror" aren't really enough. I've tried just watching it while intoxicated, and I inevitably have to read a recap article just to make sense of all the insanity I just witnessed. Maybe I'm missing the point if making sense of it is a goal.

I felt pretty much the same after S1. I guess I’ll try S2 but I’m not super excited after hearing stuff like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Octy posted:

The Adam Project was surprisingly good fun.

Hadn't heard of this, but the trailer does look fun. Good cast, and Jonathan Tropper (banshee, warrior) is one of the writers so I'll check it out

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The locations for the Adam Project are extremely attractive and make me want to move to the Pacific Northwest.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i'm inclined to give Adam Project a go since it wasn't originally meant to be a Ryan Reynolds movie

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Turning Red, Pixar's latest on Disney Plus, is super great

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Glottis posted:

Raised by Wolves is tough for me. I keep wanting it to be a universe where the next crazy thing that happens is more like a creative escalation rather than a completely new and insane concept with zero connection to what we've already seen. It just feels like nobody says "no" in the writing room. Felt to me like after in S1 a computer impregnates a robot with a giant snake baby that flies away they kind of moved from a steady stream of mysterious new ideas to getting pelted with them non-stop with no time to sink in.

Reviewers and people on the internet seem to just enjoy the ride, but the show keeps changing the status quo so quickly that it's hard for me to feel invested. "Batshit" and "body horror" aren't really enough. I've tried just watching it while intoxicated, and I inevitably have to read a recap article just to make sense of all the insanity I just witnessed. Maybe I'm missing the point if making sense of it is a goal.

Raised By Wolves is actually extremely simplistic: it's a straightforward character drama on a planet where the alien equivalents of god and satan actually exist and are assholes. That much is readily apparent by partway into the first season.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Turning Red is WALL-E level classic
Loved everything about it

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I get an instant hard-on for the Washington/Vancouver forest setting, so that's enough of a sell for me to give Adam Project a go.

Eventually.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Can't put my finger on why exactly, but 'Our Flag Means Death' is not doing it for me so far. Maybe the writing is kind of bland, and it looks weirdly cheap?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Finished season 2 of "The Righteous Gemstones".

I enjoyed it but found it overall weaker than the first season.

It turns the cartooniness just a bit too high.

The muscle church was just too stupid on so many fronts. Like it would have been fine as a one and done gag for an episode or maybe two, but it staying the entire season got annoying and it was just too...dumb. Also, while I enjoyed the twist of the season being that Lyle sent the hit on Eli. However, the hitman being teenage orphan pro suzuki rider ninjas was...a bit much.

That said, I did enjoy the season.

The characters were further fleshed out. And Eric Andre is surprisingly a good actor when he actually plays a character. I will say that I didn't sympathize with the kids at all and were fully on Elli's side even when he broke his son's fingers. I have no sympathy for how Kelvin.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

frogbs posted:

Can't put my finger on why exactly, but 'Our Flag Means Death' is not doing it for me so far. Maybe the writing is kind of bland, and it looks weirdly cheap?

I like it enough to keep watching but yeah it's kind of disappointing considering the pedigree. it just seems all around ok

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I'm glad I didn't watch Drive My Car in theaters. I had to take a break in the middle after the fifth scene of them rehearsing that play. It's good, but time does not fly by.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

live with fruit posted:

I'm glad I didn't watch Drive My Car in theaters. I had to take a break in the middle after the fifth scene of them rehearsing that play. It's good, but time does not fly by.

This is what, the second adaptation of a Haruki Murakami novel? I wish we'd see some of his weirder works translated to screen like Kafka by the Shore or The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I had HBO Max through YTTV. But I paused my YTTV sub for a couple of months. However I'd still like to get HBO Max so I'm going to re-sign up for that.

Is there any benefit to doing it through Rokus interface vs just the HBO max site?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Turning Red was so incredibly good

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Currently watching The Rock for the first time, and this soundtrack sounds oddly similar to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

BisterdDave posted:

Currently watching The Rock for the first time, and this soundtrack sounds oddly similar to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Hans Zimmer did both original scores.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vInYMVxYhh4

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
The Adam Project is a good sci fi action movie mainly targeted to kids. I also enjoyed it as an adult, despite being super tired of Ryan Reynolds being in everything. I saw reviews complaining of the idea of having 2 people acting as annoying as Ryan Reynolds at once, but honestly I thought the kid was great.

The music drops are entertaining but confuse me with the target age group. It's a lot of songs that would be iconic to someone that is 50-70.

It's not going to blow your mind. Most of the concepts have been done before. It's just relatively competent and delivers on the low promise.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Raised By Wolves is actually extremely simplistic: it's a straightforward character drama on a planet where the alien equivalents of god and satan actually exist and are assholes. That much is readily apparent by partway into the first season.

Kind of. That's a decent lens to look at it through but characters change allegiance at the drop of a hat and nothing is consistent. Tell me that anything about Sue's arc makes sense, for instance.

Honestly another issue with it is the frequently poo poo quality CGI. It's kind of embarrassing at times. The "tank" they show looks like something I made in TrueSpace 20 years ago.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have all sorts of issues with that but first I'd like to ask what problems you have with Sue's arc?

And people keep railing on the CGI for the tanks but it's really not bad. the tank designs themselves literally look like something from a minds eye VHS. which is awesomely weird imo. It's not poor CGI the tanks just look outlandish.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I wish I could agree, but the tanks have absolutely poo poo CGI. It's not just the shape, it's just sloppy CGI. Poor shadows on the environment, poor ambient occlusion. It doesn't look like an object actually moving across terrain and kinda glides. Just looks like baby's first CGI project. The show 100% cut corners and is trying to act like it's a stylistic choice. The snake also looks like poo poo compared to basically any other modern effects. It's perfectly OK to enjoy the aesthetic, but it's absolutely an inexpensive one.

Sue was an atheist, then a fake Mithraic, then an atheist again, then a reluctant Mithraic helping her murderous fake husband, then basically a real Mithraic, then a tree. She heard a random transmission and it made her completely betray everything she stood for. Based on the logic of the show, she could have easily flipped back in the course of 20 minutes. Her fake kid alternates between loving and hating her based on the episode and plot.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 13, 2022

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FdnevXjqdc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the kid in Adam Project really hammers home that default Ryan Reynolds behavior is only, only, acceptable and endearing when you're 12

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Glottis posted:

Sue was an atheist, then a fake Mithraic, then an atheist again, then a reluctant Mithraic helping her murderous fake husband, then basically a real Mithraic, then a tree. She heard a random transmission and it made her completely betray everything she stood for. Based on the logic of the show, she could have easily flipped back in the course of 20 minutes. Her fake kid alternates between loving and hating her based on the episode and plot.
The show has flaws but it writes Sue more consistently than what you're suggesting.

Sue's an atheist the whole time — right up until she's compelled to pray to Sol out of desperation. This opens her up to Sol's signal. Even then I think it's ambiguous whether she's ever a true believer. She knows that Sol is real and an entity with great power, and that's enough.

I don't understand which transmission you're referring to as random. Do you mean the deal she makes with Sol?

And she doesn't betray everything she stands for. She sacrifices her beliefs to save the most important thing to her, her child.

anatomi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 13, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
surprised i didn't hear more buzz about Ryan Murphy Presents: I loving Love the 90s - sorry, I mean American Crime Story - season 3. imo it's as good as the first season and the casting is bonkers. clive owen as clinton is stupidly perfect and Paulson absolutely loving inhabits that ugly pantsuit. and the woman playing Ann Coulter is so much like Ann it's scary. and Billy Eichner as a swishy Drudge is a surprise delight

ironically the casting for Lewinsky is the only flaw, she's great acting wise but visually is just so different from the iconic Monica Lewinsky face that it ends up being really distracting

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It wasn’t streaming anywhere until March 7. It wasn’t included in the standard FX on Hulu deal.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

ironically the casting for Lewinsky is the only flaw, she's great acting wise but visually is just so different from the iconic Monica Lewinsky face that it ends up being really distracting

To be fair, Monica was on of the executive producers, and heartily endorsed Beanie Feldstein to play her

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

smackfu posted:

It wasn’t streaming anywhere until March 7. It wasn’t included in the standard FX on Hulu deal.

oh so that's why Hulu told me it was new haha

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Glottis posted:

I wish I could agree, but the tanks have absolutely poo poo CGI. It's not just the shape, it's just sloppy CGI. Poor shadows on the environment, poor ambient occlusion. It doesn't look like an object actually moving across terrain and kinda glides.
They're hover tanks. Of course they glide.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Finished Station Eleven, what an incredible show. The ending was perfect, I hope they never make another season.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fresh is incredibly mediocre, but all the attention it’s getting is basically due to framing the film as commentary on modern dating and gender dynamics, which is basically a review you would write if you’ve only seen the trailer. The film itself doesn’t follow through on the social criticism which is at the level of an Onion article.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Papercut posted:

Finished Station Eleven, what an incredible show. The ending was perfect, I hope they never make another season.

I watched two episodes and enjoyed it, but I got horrible family medical news after that and I’ve been afraid to pick it up again. Does it end up being a terribly depressing show? I don’t need that right now.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

david_a posted:

I watched two episodes and enjoyed it, but I got horrible family medical news after that and I’ve been afraid to pick it up again. Does it end up being a terribly depressing show? I don’t need that right now.

Quite the opposite to be honest.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Papercut posted:

It's a limited series and there's only one book. I think it's done.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

david_a posted:

It's absolutely not a depressing show.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this seemed inevitable

discovery+ will be integrated into hbo max

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1503367998739988492

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Wow that's a pretty big deal. Our house puts on random HGTV and food network stuff all the time.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

HBO max is slowly becoming a contender for best streaming service.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Vertical Lime posted:

this seemed inevitable

discovery+ will be integrated into hbo max

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1503367998739988492

Next up Paramount

veni veni veni posted:

HBO max is slowly becoming a contender for best streaming service.

It’s insane how much they’ve improved.

Meanwhile Netflix and Disney+ haven’t made much waves in recent months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Started Search Party this weekend. Got about halfway through S2 ( last ep I watched ended with Elliot's "I NEED ICE!" scene. )

This is a great show and fun so far... but also... every character is horrible and that's kind of loving exhausting. Holy poo poo.