Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I also bag my own groceries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
i'm against the stupid self checkouts because as aformentioned, putting people out of work; i'd begrudgingly tolerate them if they replaced the ten items or less aisles, but seeing people take forever doing $300 worth of groceries themselves when a cashier could do it like ten times faster is a special kind of hell

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
What possible purpose could those door screens serve!?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm an overpaid clerk at a post office with a self-service kiosk, and all that thing is good for is being a trap to make recipients of parcels pay postage due. People just select the cheapest option all the time to send something, typically out of ignorance, and it gets marked up for postage due by a clerk doing dispatch because it's pretty fuckin obvious that your bulky parcel is not a large envelope.

Same goes for those online shipping services lioe Stamps.com. There's some poo poo you're allowed to get away with for using commercial shipping, like being able to go up to sixteen ounces for first class parcels, but people try to send stuff over the limit for first class, don't know the weight of their parcel, or flub the dimensions to get a lower rate for ground or priority.

It pisses people off that they have to pay forty bucks on a bigass package because the seller cut corners. I had a lady today wondering why she needed to pay forty-two dollars for a package. It only weighed a few pounds, the item itself was something small, but the seller sent it in a box way too big, used the cheapest shipping method to save themselves money on the platform they used, and is going to get their package back because the lady refused.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deuce posted:

Every Walgreens I go to is absolute poo poo at beverage stocking, and all their refrigerator/shelving space for beverages is always like 2/3 empty*. So I guess, in theory, it makes your store look less ugly and barren (until somebody physically opens the door). But there has to be a cheaper way of accomplishing that goal - like, sell a couple fridges, maybe? Or just cover a couple with a banner? Also those displays kind of look like poo poo and would obviously be frustrating if inaccurate, which they would always be because

quote:

Every Walgreens I go to is absolute poo poo at beverage stocking
The real answer is probably that some guy who sells TV screen refrigerator doors was really good at conning some dumb Walgreens executive into buying thousands of these loving things. :capitalism:

*I still buy the majority of my way-too-much-Diet Coke there; for whatever weird reason they have the best soda prices. Although buying three every time is annoying and probably contributes to my addiction. :capitalism:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craig K posted:

i'm against the stupid self checkouts because as aformentioned, putting people out of work; i'd begrudgingly tolerate them if they replaced the ten items or less aisles, but seeing people take forever doing $300 worth of groceries themselves when a cashier could do it like ten times faster is a special kind of hell

I'm a big fan of self-checkouts for the simple reason that they make it easier for me to steal stuff

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deuce posted:

someone made money selling them.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Star Man posted:

I'm an overpaid clerk at a post office with a self-service kiosk, and all that thing is good for is being a trap to make recipients of parcels pay postage due. People just select the cheapest option all the time to send something, typically out of ignorance, and it gets marked up for postage due by a clerk doing dispatch because it's pretty fuckin obvious that your bulky parcel is not a large envelope.

Same goes for those online shipping services lioe Stamps.com. There's some poo poo you're allowed to get away with for using commercial shipping, like being able to go up to sixteen ounces for first class parcels, but people try to send stuff over the limit for first class, don't know the weight of their parcel, or flub the dimensions to get a lower rate for ground or priority.

It pisses people off that they have to pay forty bucks on a bigass package because the seller cut corners. I had a lady today wondering why she needed to pay forty-two dollars for a package. It only weighed a few pounds, the item itself was something small, but the seller sent it in a box way too big, used the cheapest shipping method to save themselves money on the platform they used, and is going to get their package back because the lady refused.

This is a new hilarious angle on this thanks for posting.

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never seen lanes 2, 3, and 5-11 in use anywhere anyway

thats because the grocery store stopped hiring cashiers when they opened the self-checkout lane

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cow Bell posted:

thats because the grocery store stopped hiring cashiers when they opened the self-checkout lane

Even before that

Cow Bell
Aug 29, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Even before that

Then your store was slow.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Cow Bell posted:

Then your store was slow.

It is a fact that every retail operation was staffed to absolute peak efficiency before those dastardly self serve machines were invented

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Deuce posted:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

someone made money selling them.
Ever been to Philadelphia? We have solar-powered trashcans that barely loving work on most Center City street corners.

There is no piece of technology so dumb that someone won't install it at every opportunity.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Winco has stores with some 15+ lanes I think, but never in my years of shopping there have I ever seen every single one in operation on a busy day. When things get busy, especially as they were during the various covid/supply shortage panic buys, they're lucky to have half the lanes open and each one stretching all the way to the back of the store. If they replaced half those lanes with self-checkout, that could actually be an improvement.

Safeway's deli team used to have to put individual stickers for each item in a bag. When I would self-checkout, I would only scan one bar code, because the machine would bitch at me about the weight being off if I didn't put it on the tray or removed it to do the second tag. AFAIK this is still the case but unless you've got an iron stomach it's not worth eating food at the safeway deli on a regular basis.

Anyway, implement a universal basic income so we can let the rest of the machines take our jobs.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's pretty fuckin' crazy when you go into a grocery store pre-Hurricane/Blizzard or when Covid is spiking, and it's absolutely slammed, probably doing easily five figures of sales per hour, and they won't spend, what, a hundred loving dollars to have all the register lanes going. I've never seen all of them in use either, and probably never seen more than four in a store with self-checkouts.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Freakazoid_ posted:

Anyway, implement a universal basic income so we can let the rest of the machines take our jobs.

UBI is absolutely essential, and probably coming within 10-20 years; let's hope it's not one that reduces social support like Andrew Yang's. (A UBI without universal healthcare and some kind of housing guarantee would not work very well.)

The main thing, and this is something I hoped people would've realized in spring 2020, but it seems they didn't, is that such a huge, huge portion of the "work" that gets done is totally useless. Take the Walgreens refrigerator thing. Somebody designed that loving fridge door, people built them, somebody went around convincing people they were useful, executives spent time procuring them, people installed them. That's millions and millions of dollars in economic activity, thousands and thousands of man-hours, with an end result that made the world unequivocally shittier.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

UBI is absolutely essential, and probably coming within 10-20 years; let's hope it's not one that reduces social support like Andrew Yang's. (A UBI without universal healthcare and some kind of housing guarantee would not work very well.)

The main thing, and this is something I hoped people would've realized in spring 2020, but it seems they didn't, is that such a huge, huge portion of the "work" that gets done is totally useless. Take the Walgreens refrigerator thing. Somebody designed that loving fridge door, people built them, somebody went around convincing people they were useful, executives spent time procuring them, people installed them. That's millions and millions of dollars in economic activity, thousands and thousands of man-hours, with an end result that made the world unequivocally shittier.

It's the natural endpoint of the concept of "work" on it's own being elevated to some innate virtue. Even if it accomplished absolutely nothing, you Worked(tm)

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Mellow Seas posted:

Not to be rude but I don't know how you can look at a country that's been fighting for a meager increase in minimum wage for 15 years and think that UBI is on the horizon in that same time frame in the future.

CaPensiPraxis
Feb 7, 2013

When in france...

Froghammer posted:

Ever been to Philadelphia? We have solar-powered trashcans that barely loving work on most Center City street corners.

There is no piece of technology so dumb that someone won't install it at every opportunity.

What function of a trashcan requires power

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Self checkout is nice if you're a wreck who doesn't want to interact with a cashier.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Mellow Seas posted:

Every Walgreens I go to is absolute poo poo at beverage stocking, and all their refrigerator/shelving space for beverages is always like 2/3 empty*. So I guess, in theory, it makes your store look less ugly and barren (until somebody physically opens the door). But there has to be a cheaper way of accomplishing that goal - like, sell a couple fridges, maybe? Or just cover a couple with a banner? Also those displays kind of look like poo poo and would obviously be frustrating if inaccurate, which they would always be because

The real answer is probably that some guy who sells TV screen refrigerator doors was really good at conning some dumb Walgreens executive into buying thousands of these loving things. :capitalism:

*I still buy the majority of my way-too-much-Diet Coke there; for whatever weird reason they have the best soda prices. Although buying three every time is annoying and probably contributes to my addiction. :capitalism:

Reminder that Walgreens was the company that partnered with loving Theranos to put their scam machines in every pharmacy.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Andorra posted:

Not to be rude but I don't know how you can look at a country that's been fighting for a meager increase in minimum wage for 15 years and think that UBI is on the horizon in that same time frame in the future.
Not rude, that's an understandable reaction.

It's just, I think eventually they'll have no choice. The same reason that the WPA or Social Security was passed, or why Covid relief was passed: because the costs of not doing the thing were higher to the elites (in the form of extreme social unrest) than the cost of doing the thing. The fact that a prominent (if clearly unviable) primary candidate talked about it in 2020, and that some (extremely limited) "free money" provisions passed during the pandemic, makes it seem like it's being "felt out" by the ruling classes.

Think about the status of legal marijuana 25 years ago when the first medical laws were passed. It probably seemed pretty unlikely then, but now most Americans can get marijuana if they have a medical need, and a large minority can buy recreational weed from dispensaries. That "toe in the door" effect can be pretty pronounced. Hell, the Fight for 15 started just 10 years ago, as a grassroots action with very little support, and we did manage to get 42 votes for its inclusion in the ARP. (With the major caveat that $15 in 2012 is $18 now.)

Considering how broken the federal government's legislative apparatus is, and will continue to be for a while, I wonder if states or municipalities will begin to implement UBI (presumably with length-of-residency minimums) before the Feds do. That's what happened with weed and minimum wage, where many Americans now live under reasonable laws despite the US Congress's pathological inaction.

I could also be, you know, totally wrong. Happens to the best of us (so why shouldn't it also happen to me?).

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

CaPensiPraxis posted:

What function of a trashcan requires power

They’re probably meant to be compacting, so you can fit more trash in the can between emptying.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Keyser_Soze posted:

Also, never let your tank get below 3/4 full then you don't notice the cost topping off all the time. :newlol:
Somehow my poor rear end Still notices when I top off coming home from work each day. Almost like I can still feel the being broke part whether the sum comes as death by a thousand cuts or a shotgun blast to the face

Mellow Seas posted:

UBI is absolutely essential, and probably coming within 10-20 years
What the hell are basing this dream on

I personally like self check out, but I also don't think for a minute they were installed for the publics good. Was entirely done to make the customer do the labor for free

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

tk posted:

This is a new hilarious angle on this thanks for posting.

The only way to steal postage is to drop something off at a collection box or over the counter with prepaid postage of some amount and everyone handling never notices it, or it's given to the carrier and they just deliver it without attempting to collect for it. The carriers don't know anything about postage because it's not their job to know, and I have no idea what knowledge about postage the mail handlers have at the sorting plants.

If it gets caught, it gets written up for postage due, then a carrier can opt to try to collect postage from the address it's going to, leave a notice for pickup where the recipient can pay the difference, or it can be refused and sent back and then it's the sender's problem.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ANIME AKBAR posted:

Reminder that Walgreens was the company that partnered with loving Theranos to put their scam machines in every pharmacy.
It’s not really Walgreens’ fault that they got scammed by Theranos

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s not really Walgreens’ fault that they got scammed by Theranos

It kinda is. I get why consumers would fall for the scam but what Theranos was promising seems like it should be obviously impossible to any expert in the field.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

punishedkissinger posted:

It kinda is. I get why consumers would fall for the scam but what Theranos was promising seems like it should be obviously impossible to any expert in the field.

Yeah, Walgreens is hardly a victim. They're just complicit in the crime that is unfettered capitalism.

They should make store windows that are video screens to make it look like people still shop at Walgreens. I do not understand why someone would voluntarily go into one.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

They should make store windows that are video screens to make it look like people still shop at Walgreens. I do not understand why someone would voluntarily go into one.
Personally, I live in a pretty small town, so the only places I can buy stuff without driving 10+ minutes are restaurants, Cumberland Farms, Walgreens, and an overpriced IGA grocery store.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Craig K posted:

While understandable, I sort of hate we are in a place where automating menial labor is seeing as a negative because of job loss.

I don't mean this as an accusation, but It's also very inconsistent on where particular people care about people being put out of work. Companies downsize and remove positions all the time, workflows and processes get streamlined. Things go out of fashion or become obsolete.

But the two times it feels like we hear about wanting to keep jobs around are when it involves menial service jobs or like, coal mining and oil and gas.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

punishedkissinger posted:

If you read "Bad Blood", Walgreen's own investigator tried repeatedly to warn them that Theranos was full of poo poo, but the CEO insisted on going through with the partnership. One of the fascinating parts of the book is how Theranos was repeatedly exposed by experts, over and over, but the people in charge refused to listen.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Oxyclean posted:

While understandable, I sort of hate we are in a place where automating menial labor is seeing as a negative because of job loss.

I don't mean this as an accusation, but It's also very inconsistent on where particular people care about people being put out of work. Companies downsize and remove positions all the time, workflows and processes get streamlined. Things go out of fashion or become obsolete.

But the two times it feels like we hear about wanting to keep jobs around are when it involves menial service jobs or like, coal mining and oil and gas.

I think a lot of that comes from it being the only game in town for all those small mining/extraction towns. They don't want to or can't afford to move to a more diverse opportunity area.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Oxyclean posted:

Self-checkout is not automating menial labor. It's just shifting it from being a paid position to unpaid labor by the consumer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

The problem isn't automation or streamlining themselves. The problem is that under capitalism, automation results in bigger profits for the capital class at the expense of the working class. Ideally, in a worker controlled economy, increased productivity from automation would mean shorter hours for the same pay, or greater pay for the same hours, or some other benefit to reflect the fact that workers are more productive. Instead it's just "lol you're fired, learn to code lmao". Any time something gets streamlined or a position gets removed, it's more money for the execs and gently caress you to the workers. It's exactly the same for both white and blue collar work, but there's a whole host of reasons for why that divide exists in the first place.

Fun fact, this is basically what the Luddites were all about. Contrary to popular belief, Luddism isn't generally anti-technology, but rather opposed to the unequal sharing of the boons of technology. They burned down textile factories because they were robbing weavers of their livelihoods. But for some reason, "luddite" has become a pejorative for someone who just hates technology because they're dumb and crazy I guess.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Craig K posted:

All the ones in our local chain are 10 items or less, and compact enough that they can fit 10 or so into the space of 2-3 normal lanes. They also keep the normal lanes fully opened at peak times so it feels like more of an efficiency thing. They also have 2 or so people in that area to assist so it’s not like jobs are lost as a result either. I can totally understand it sucking if a store is doing that in lieu of opening any normal lanes though (The Targets and Walmarts near us are notoriously bad about this)

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact, this is basically what the Luddites were all about. Contrary to popular belief, Luddism isn't generally anti-technology, but rather opposed to the unequal sharing of the boons of technology. They burned down textile factories because they were robbing weavers of their livelihoods. But for some reason, "luddite" has become a pejorative for someone who just hates technology because they're dumb and crazy I guess.

Basically the factory owners took the expertise and designs of the weavers, stole them, automated them, and never compensated them.

A modern take on that might be software devs incorporating mods or Fortnite stealing viral dances and never paying the creators.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Self-checkout is not automating menial labor. It's just shifting it from being a paid position to unpaid labor by the consumer.
Is it unpaid labor by the consumer to have to pick up the groceries and do their own shopping? Like I sort of get how you can view the shift as offloading the labor on the consumer, but it feels like something you can kind of disingenuously stretch to apply to more things too.

But the way I see it, is by in large, people don't want to be cashiers. In a UBI or post-scarcity world, we probably wouldn't want to have cashiers, unless like, someone really wants to be one?

Fister Roboto posted:

The problem isn't automation or streamlining themselves. The problem is that under capitalism, automation results in bigger profits for the capital class at the expense of the working class. Ideally, in a worker controlled economy, increased productivity from automation would mean shorter hours for the same pay, or greater pay for the same hours, or some other benefit to reflect the fact that workers are more productive. Instead it's just "lol you're fired, learn to code lmao". Any time something gets streamlined or a position gets removed, it's more money for the execs and gently caress you to the workers. It's exactly the same for both white and blue collar work, but there's a whole host of reasons for why that divide exists in the first place.

I don't disagree one bit. Like I said, I just don't like the conclusion "we should keep jobs around for the sake of having jobs" - perhaps it's just a shorthand for the rest of this, but it always kinda comes across to me like admitting we're never going to pull off UBI or taxing the rich, iunno. Like treating symptoms rather then the cause.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Bird in a Blender posted:

They’re probably meant to be compacting, so you can fit more trash in the can between emptying.

That's exactly what they are and while i have no idea if they work well or not it's not a bad idea

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

SimonChris posted:

If you read "Bad Blood", Walgreen's own investigator tried repeatedly to warn them that Theranos was full of poo poo, but the CEO insisted on going through with the partnership. One of the fascinating parts of the book is how Theranos was repeatedly exposed by experts, over and over, but the people in charge refused to listen.

That episode of "The Dropout" was this week! Harry from Mad Men was the investigator and was ignored and blocked repeatedly and the deal basically went forward because Walgreens execs were terrified of CVS or Safeway getting "this new technology from Silicon Valley like Facebook!" first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

Basically the factory owners took the expertise and designs of the weavers, stole them, automated them, and never compensated them.

A modern take on that might be software devs incorporating mods or Fortnite stealing viral dances and never paying the creators.

Also companies incorporating Open Source libraries and tech, then getting mad because the unpaid contributors are not doing exactly what those companies want when they need patches/support.