Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
This is literally the dumbest slap fight ever, people who wouldn't bring their steam deck to the hospital should cancel their pre-orders so people who aren't interested in having kids like me can get mine sooner :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

ColdPie posted:

I have to imagine I'm one of the most experienced Excitebike 64 players on the planet, thanks to that 3 day hospital stay in 2001.

Hey man I owned that game. It was fun.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

look at your phone or something, you nerds lmao. it's okay not to spend the maximum amount of time life playing video games

be mad at me because I got my Steam Deck already, not because I told you about yourself

Do you think that a woman goes into a hospital, goes into labor, and a baby immediately pops out lol

Labor is a long rear end process with extremely long stretches of next to nothing happening and at one point we were both watching a whole bunch of bad but entertaining tv like stuff on TLC and when my wife rested I would occasionally play my switch, and would've loved one of these decks, and my wife was fine with it

I don't think anyone is saying to keep playing super Mario odyssey while the baby is actually physically coming out, you dummy lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I bought my then-wife a 3DS for her to use during labour and got shushed away so she could pay attention to it during the long wait part of the process. “Should have got one for yourself, sucker!”

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 13, 2022

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Good soup! posted:

Do you think that a woman goes into a hospital, goes into labor, and a baby immediately pops out lol

Labor is a long rear end process with extremely long stretches of next to nothing happening and at one point we were both watching a whole bunch of bad but entertaining tv like stuff on TLC and when my wife rested I would occasionally play my switch, and would've loved one of these decks, and my wife was fine with it

I don't think anyone is saying to keep playing super Mario odyssey while the baby is actually physically coming out, you dummy lol

Wrong, that is the best time to play.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My wife was on bed rest for two weeks and was bored as hell. We were 3 hours from home and her water broke at 32 weeks so we were stuck in a random hospital away from home. The switch was awesome for all the waiting around. It and the deck are the perfect dad gamer consoles.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

A switch for me and a hospital bed for the wife! She can also hold the baby while I hold my Deck.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
This is just what the thread will be until we can actually get our Decks. It’s the way of the forums

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just checked my wishlist and it looks like I got bumped from Q2 to Q3. That’s really frustrating since I busted my rear end to get that order in like 10 minutes after they went live. Oh well, maybe I’ll get a newer hardware revision (or some shittier version after they put in an order for more-available parts).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

stromboni posted:

This is just what the thread will be until we can actually get our Decks. It’s the way of the forums

To be honest it’s for the best, goons being extremely smug while owning themselves is the best content these forums can produce

I want to know more about how playing on their phones makes them big boys

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Wow, if only there was a way to play AAA* games on your phone in the hospital...

Sounds like you would enjoy STADIA

:stadia:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

PowerBeard posted:

Wow, if only there was a way to play AAA* games on your phone in the hospital...

Sounds like you would enjoy STADIA

:stadia:

yeah good luck using their wifi pal!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Game streaming sucks royal rear end even on my fancy WiFi 6 mesh setup at home, forget about some janky lowest-bidder hospital network

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Those getting bumped from Q2 to Q3, which region are you in?

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

Missionary Positron posted:

North America, here

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I'm "after Q3" now, but also North America.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Has anyone got a before and after screenshot of going from Q2 to Q3? (As opposed to going from “After Q2” to “Q3” which is going from the same thing to a more detailed version of the same thing, but the presence of “Q2” in the first description short circuited a lot of optimistic brains who started ignoring the word “after” before it.)

I’m under the impression that nobody slid backwards in the schedule, the dates just got more clear, but if there is some real screenshot proof of a backslide happening I’d appreciate it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ja2ke posted:

Has anyone got a before and after screenshot of going from Q2 to Q3? (As opposed to going from “After Q2” to “Q3” which is going from the same thing to a more detailed version of the same thing, but the presence of “Q2” in the first description short circuited a lot of optimistic brains who started ignoring the word “after” before it.)

I’m under the impression that nobody slid backwards in the schedule, the dates just got more clear, but if there is some real screenshot proof of a backslide happening I’d appreciate it.

It said in Q2 and now it says in Q3

Sorry I don’t have a screenshot. I could be lying.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Europe

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

ja2ke posted:

I went from "after Q2" to "Q3" to "after Q3". No screenshots because I'm not weird enough to think of doing so.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Dang, I was hoping it was just an NA thing :smith:

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

It said in Q2 and now it says in Q3

Sorry I don’t have a screenshot. I could be lying.

I don’t think you’re lying, I promise. Some people have excitedly (or in a moment of despair) taken screencaps of their spots in line so I was hoping you might have.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

grieving for Gandalf posted:

look at your phone or something, you nerds lmao.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m confused, why is looking at a phone better?

Still waiting to an answer for this.

Also, I keep checking my reservation slot to make sure I didn't bumped to Q3. Thankfully I haven't but knowing my luck...

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just checked my wishlist and it looks like I got bumped from Q2 to Q3. That’s really frustrating since I busted my rear end to get that order in like 10 minutes after they went live. Oh well, maybe I’ll get a newer hardware revision (or some shittier version after they put in an order for more-available parts).

I also got bumped to Q3 (I'm in North American - US)

I have made up my mind though - I'm getting the deck no matter what.

Don't understand why everyone seems so disappointed.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How loud is the fan on this thing?

I used to like playing Switch in bed at odd hours. Fortunately my insomnia hasn't been so bad recently because unfortunately my Switch whines like a stuck pig any time it's on now, and for about 10 seconds after it's turned off. I don't think my wife would appreciate those sounds (in fact neither of us like them when we're awake).

I had the thought that maybe it was finally time to upgrade my Switch, but I'm Q2 in the queue and I don't wanna buy another Nintendo if I'm gettin' a Steam Deck in like two weeks (I delude myself).

But also I'm curious about noise level regardless.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
*in the hospital* this maternity ward is cool but I wish there was a way to find all the geeks and gamers in the crowd

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
steam deck is pretty loud under load (that 25 watt of heat needs to go somewhere!), but if you do like a puzzle game or something else that only uses a fraction of the cpu/gpu, along with some tweaking could make it more managable. Currently you cannot directly control the fan curve, but I'd reckon someone will make a tool for that in the future (or Valve could add fan control settings?).

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-loud-is-steam-deck/

PC Gamer posted:

But volume isn't the most important thing about noise; pitch is also a key component, and when we talk about whine the Steam Deck most definitely has it. The high pitch of the fan tone means that it becomes rather intrusive, whether you're downloading a game sat on the SteamUI, actually playing a game, or simply sat next to someone who is.

Yeah, the Deck failed what I call the Significant Other Test. Sat on the sofa, competing with the loud aphorisms of Captain Lee from my TV set, I could just about get away with gaming on the device. But there's no way I'd be getting in any night-time OlliOlli World in bed next to my partner. That's not a euphemism, by the way.

The combination of the pitch and the whine means the Deck's fan is just too pronounced to be happily ignored. Even when I was gaming on my own I found I had to boost the volume of the speakers because they too are competing with the chat from the exhaust port.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

How long before someone waterblocks the APU?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

D'oh. But good to know in advance; thanks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CerealKilla420 posted:

I also got bumped to Q3 (I'm in North American - US)

I have made up my mind though - I'm getting the deck no matter what.

Don't understand why everyone seems so disappointed.

Disappointed in what? Having to wait at least 3 months longer than expected? That should be easy to understand.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Tiny Timbs posted:

Disappointed in what? Having to wait at least 3 months longer than expected? That should be easy to understand.

Disappointed in the hardware...

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

*in the hospital* this maternity ward is cool but I wish there was a way to find all the geeks and gamers in the crowd

i was just playing portal 2

on my deck

(at home on my couch)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Have you considered playing Portal 2 on your very large TV?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

How loud is the fan on this thing?

It’s not nearly as loud as a mother giving birth so you’ll be ok.

Archonet
Mar 12, 2022

it is time to boogie

Framboise posted:

I went from "after Q2" to "Q3" to "after Q3". No screenshots because I'm not weird enough to think of doing so.

I believe I went from Q1, to Q2 after the first delay, to Q3 now. And I made a reservation almost as soon as it was possible to do so.

no I'm not salty about that at all, no sir.

chuckelZ
Jun 7, 2004

If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell.
The wife and I were in the hospital with our twins, they were in the NICU during that time so it was a lot of downtime. I brought the switch but mostly just napped. If kids are in the room w8th you the deck might be a bit much but I’ve never had just me baby so idk.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Archonet posted:

I believe I went from Q1, to Q2 after the first delay, to Q3 now. And I made a reservation almost as soon as it was possible to do so.

no I'm not salty about that at all, no sir.

I committed the grave sin of "being at work" when reservations became available and couldn't get mine in until the evening.

It'll be worth the wait, I should hope.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Have you considered playing Portal 2 on your very large TV?

My wife was watching something on it!

It’s almost like there are use cases for products outside of your limited scope lol

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

My wife was watching something on it!

It’s almost like there are use cases for products outside of your limited scope lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i need the solaire helmet feather present in all my media