Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1503040935063703556

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

psydude posted:

Overwhelming their enemy with literal bodies was cheap, easy, and worked for them in World War II and for the Chinese in Korea. Same applies to bombs.

This isn't really how it worked and is dangerously close to something some ostfront veterans would say

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lifehack.

If you're ever lost in the woods in Canada, sing out "Oh, the year was seventeen seventy-eight".
Wait for "HOW I WISH I WAS IN SHERBROOKE NOW!"
Walk in that direction, adding additional lines as necessary.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So im gonna guess if Ukraine didnt have an Iron harvest before they're gonna have one now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sentinel posted:

So im gonna guess if Ukraine didnt have an Iron harvest before they're gonna have one now.

What a waste of lives, materials and infrastructure. Just senseless

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The poor soul is getting over worked.

Fuzzy image but i counted eight, i could guestimate twelve if i scrunch my eyes up.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

This isn't really how it worked and is dangerously close to something some ostfront veterans would say

This hasn't been a banner year for busting the myth of Russians relying on masses of untrained cannon fodder to overwhelm the adversary.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I mean the fact that it hasn't been working great seems evident enough

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Just Another Lurker posted:

The poor soul is getting over worked.

Fuzzy image but i counted eight, i could guestimate twelve if i scrunch my eyes up.

How do you even tell which side they're from

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

highme posted:

My sister is the principal of a international school in Kyiv (and evac’d a week before the invasion). I’m not trying to bug her much because she’s still running a school (currently from Krakow) but on our last convo she mentioned their gardener is staying at their house in Kyiv because his village isn’t safe. This video shows why, but drat those dudes look ready to get Igor some new armor scrap metal from his field. I don’t know exactly where their house is, but I know where the school is. Convos with my brother in law he’s mentioned they’re a couple of miles from a national park and the Holosiivskyi National Nature Park is just south of the school. It’s a bit of a relief to hear their home is safe enough at the moment.

Also, is there a weapon besides an AK that has been in service longer than an RPG-7?

M2 .50 caliber machinegun

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

M2 .50 caliber machinegun

This design has stood for over a century, with I think only the addition of a safety selector switch? And that was recent-ish, iirc.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

highme posted:

Also, is there a weapon besides an AK that has been in service longer than an RPG-7?

FN MAG, FN FAL, Carl Gustaf rr' and B-52's

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean the fact that it hasn't been working great seems evident enough

The Winter War took three months of heavy losses to overwhelm the Finns.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Kamil Galeev posted another twitter thread laying out why things are going so badly for the Russians.

Tl, dr: The Kremlin is composed of old state security guys and they're scared of the military, so the military is deliberately kept so weak the army even have to pay protection money to the mob. Officer ranks are stuffed with commissars from the state security agencies and capable high-ranking officers are regularly offed, which leaves the military with few people competent in the art of war.

https://mobile.twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1502673952572854278

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
https://twitter.com/katieoscroftitv/status/1502661483859218437

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Kamil Galeev posted another twitter thread laying out why things are going so badly for the Russians.

Tl, dr: The Kremlin is composed of old state security guys and they're scared of the military, so the military is deliberately kept so weak the army even have to pay protection money to the mob. Officer ranks are stuffed with commissars from the state security agencies and capable high-ranking officers are regularly offed, which leaves the military with few people competent in the art of war.

I'd be curious to know how much, if any, of these things also affect the Ukrainian military.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Someone really chose this moment to wear their Ahegao hoodie?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

HOW I WISH I WAS IN SHERBROOKE NOW

This is the exact privateers I was referring to

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

I'd be curious to know how much, if any, of these things also affect the Ukrainian military.

Ukr's 8 year old military in a democracy? I think the situation is pretty different.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

CommieGIR posted:

Someone really chose this moment to wear their Ahegao hoodie?

Oh god, I hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out. That had better be one drat warm and comfy hoodie.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

Ukr's 8 year old military in a democracy? I think the situation is pretty different.

I know it's different but it seems naive to think that 70 years of Soviet rule followed by a series of democratically elected governments rife with corruption allegations, magically has a military with no logistic or leadership problems just because they're the good guys.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Basticle posted:

I know it's different but it seems naive to think that 70 years of Soviet rule followed by a series of democratically elected governments rife with corruption allegations, magically has a military with no logistic or leadership problems just because they're the good guys.

I imagine the bigger issue is that Ukraine was constantly aware that they were in a state of permanent existential threat due to a much larger, hostile neighbor. Under those circumstances I can see a lot of "OK, sure, corruption, but not HERE you dipshits you wanna get us all killed?"

Edit: Like, Putin can afford a heavily corrupt and ineffective army if he's expecting to only ever use it on much weaker opponents and he's more worried about the army potentially running a coup on him. Ukraine NEEDS an effective army or they're totally hosed, and their performance in 2014 is basically all the proof and incentive they need to keep kicking their own asses.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 13, 2022

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Russia is a nuclear power so it was never under any threat for all of it's post WWII history and thus could afford a mediocre/corrupt military. Modern Russia is that distilled to it's pure essence while Ukraine doesn't have that luxury of having nukes with an aggressive expansionist neighbor who very much wants domination over it.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Basticle posted:

He's not joking about it being 8 years old. It was largely broken in 2014, and has been a NATO/US rebuilding project since.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tomn posted:

I imagine the bigger issue is that Ukraine was constantly aware that they were in a state of permanent existential threat due to a much larger, hostile neighbor. Under those circumstances I can see a lot of "OK, sure, corruption, but not HERE you dipshits you wanna get us all killed?"

Edit: Like, Putin can afford a heavily corrupt and ineffective army if he's expecting to only ever use it on much weaker opponents and he's more worried about the army potentially running a coup on him. Ukraine NEEDS an effective army or they're totally hosed, and their performance in 2014 is basically all the proof and incentive they need to keep kicking their own asses.

that too

and my take is that the western countries that trained their forces and gave them weapons made it very clear that they'd leave if that poo poo continued

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tomn posted:

Oh god, I hadn't even noticed until you pointed it out. That had better be one drat warm and comfy hoodie.

It’s said shame make you flush but but we all know anybody with that response would rather go without than wear that sweatshirt

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Mar 13, 2022

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Basticle posted:

A lot of analysts have pointed out that a major reason why the Ukrainians seem to be punching way above their weight class is because their armed forces have been fighting a war against the puppet republics since 2014, so they've kind of had to sort their poo poo out.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

FN MAG, FN FAL, Carl Gustaf rr' and B-52's

M2 Machine gun & M1911 pistol.

John Browning sure knew his stuff

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Hey anyone remember that Russian propaganda piece where there were a reporter with a bunch of "bodies" in black tarps in the background and one of the bodies moved around. It was early on, a Russian attempt to state that the Ukrainian videos were being faked somehow :psyduck:

I'm trying to find the original source/posting of that piece or if anyone has an in-depth article/tweet on it I'd appreciate it.. I'm trying to dig that information up.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Noted Russian asset Tulsi Gabbard spreading more disinfo.

https://twitter.com/UticaEric/status/1503026990902824962?t=c5p2gHRPdIciBnTwcW7_8w&s=19

Hope she loses her commision / job.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cimber posted:

John Browning sure knew his stuff

This is completely of topic and apologies but, eeeeh. Ugh. Look there's nothing wrong with Browning's designs but the man is deified in America. There's heaps of other inventions that's performed as satisfactory in gnarly ugly wars as those two examples, and the difference comes down to America sticking to particularly the M2 out of inertia and sunk cost inheritance.

Specifically, a bigger gun would do better in most situations where that non-portable keeps getting used.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

From Kamil’s Twitter thread. It’s a list of Russian generals killed since the end of the Soviet Union from Chechnya to Georgia to Ukraine.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bored As gently caress posted:

Noted Russian asset Tulsi Gabbard spreading more disinfo.

https://twitter.com/UticaEric/status/1503026990902824962?t=c5p2gHRPdIciBnTwcW7_8w&s=19

Hope she loses her commision / job.

Honestly there probably aren't 25 bioweapons research labs in the entire world.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Cimber posted:

The 1911 hasn't been an issued service weapon in a long while, since the 80s when the M9 took its place, and those still kicking around are in units where familiarity and preference is more important than uniformity.

But the deuce will always be in use. In 2122 the deuce will be fighting in campaigns on Antarctica.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The 1911 hasn't been an issued service weapon in a long while, since the 80s when the M9 took its place,

you ever heard of the Corps?!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MEU(SOC)_pistol

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The 1911 hasn't been an issued service weapon in a long while, since the 80s when the M9 took its place, and those still kicking around are in units where familiarity and preference is more important than uniformity.

But the deuce will always be in use. In 2122 the deuce will be fighting in campaigns on Antarctica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol#Current

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That Works posted:

Honestly there probably aren't 25 bioweapons research labs in the entire world.

To be fair the subject at hand could be research labs that have samples of really gross pathogens, which could include a whole lot of university labs and places like the CDC in addition to defensive research (sic) labs funded by governments. They don't have to be commonly-accepted "BW agents" to kill a lot of people if they get loose. The obvious implication of the tweet is that there are a couple dozen US funded Vozrozhdeniya Islands in Ukraine, which is of course poo poo from a bull's rear end.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Welp, I'd eat my words but my phone isn't made of chocolate.

But I'd still say it's not really an issue pistol. MARSOC getting to pick and choose their own isn't the same as bulk standard issue. Those are custom 1911s, not leftover stocks of Colts from Vietnam like an NG unit might have been stuck with in the 90s. The last gasp of serviceability.

I meant in the US, but I didn't realize how thoroughly the 1911 has riddled other militaries.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I meant in the US, but I didn't realize how thoroughly the 1911 has riddled other militaries.

That was sort of the point of adopting it in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

McNally posted:

That was sort of the point of adopting it in the first place.

I'm sure we gave plenty away, too.

Also, mlmp, from that wiki link you posted:

quote:

In 2016, USMC command stated that MARSOC had replaced the M45A1 with the Glock 19, largely from a logistic standpoint, not from a performance and reliability standpoint, as a result of other SOCOM branches using the Glock 19. As of March 2019, Force Recon, and other MEU(SOC) forces still use the M45A1 and some units have the Glock 19 or Beretta M9A1 as an alternative.