Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

lordfrikk posted:

1080p videos on 27"? It's really hard to notice, actually! Modern videos have high enough bitrate unlike YouTube 240p videos from 2007 where you sometimes can't even tell what you're looking at even on 22" screen. Where it matters to me, however, is text clarity (I work with with text ~8 hours per day) and games. It can not be overstated how much of a difference high PPI makes for text! As for games,I don't even use anti-aliasing most of the time because it's sharper in 4K than any anti-aliasing + sharpening could make it, and I don't get terrible artifacts from stuff like temporal anti-aliasing.

So, yeah, it's loving awesome.

Well, for me a lot of youtube videos went from looking "acceptable" on a 24" 1080p screen, to rubbish on when stretched to 27" (1440p, but I'm pretty sure it's not the non-integer ratio that matters here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I really love 4K, and would never dream of buying a lower-resolution monitor in 2022. But the reason I say that is for general computing work: word processing, programming, Internet browsing, chatting on Discord. I only play games that are expensive to render on my television, so the arguments against 4K for gaming don’t affect me, but I can completely see how they’d drive someone who does play games on their PC to want a 1440p monitor.

Everyone has different needs.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Rinkles posted:

Well, for me a lot of youtube videos went from looking "acceptable" on a 24" 1080p screen, to rubbish on when stretched to 27" (1440p, but I'm pretty sure it's not the non-integer ratio that matters here).

It's possible your eyesight is better than mine but I really don't notice it unless the quality is poo poo. Maybe I mostly watch channels that produce content in 4K but I doubt that

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
My boner for 4k is 34 inches and ultra-wide

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can I drive 4K >60Hz with Displayport 2.0? I'm pretty sure that's what I went with, but given the length for my leftmost monitor I might have 1.4a.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Nothing actually supports DP2.0 yet so that's pretty academic

DP1.4 can do 4K 120hz as long as you stick to SDR

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is HDR even a thing I need to worry about for gaming, or am I looking at new HDMI cables to drive a 4K HDR >60Hz display? Most GPUs don't even have three HDMI ports so that's a killer for a 3x1 setup right there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Most PC monitors have just plain bad HDR so even if you want it, it's not worth using

If you did want to run 4K120 HDR you'd have to use HDMI 2.1, and yeah no GPU has three of those outputs

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Right click on desktop, go to display settings. Scroll down to the bottom and click on the graphics setting. Click on "Change default graphics settings." Disable variable refresh rate. Windows will cause your monitor to do weird poo poo with the refresh rate in certain apps when that option is enabled. Disabling it does not interfere with g-sync in any way while full-screen gaming (windowed or borderless)

That was already off. Nvidia CP program settings is the way to go for this issue.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PirateBob posted:

That was already off. Nvidia CP program settings is the way to go for this issue.

That is an unfortunate choice of initialism there.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

nrook posted:

I really love 4K, and would never dream of buying a lower-resolution monitor in 2022. But the reason I say that is for general computing work: word processing, programming, Internet browsing, chatting on Discord. I only play games that are expensive to render on my television, so the arguments against 4K for gaming don’t affect me, but I can completely see how they’d drive someone who does play games on their PC to want a 1440p monitor.

Everyone has different needs.

There also haven't been (relatively) cost effective options on the PC for 4K 144hz monitors until recently. Your only options were hugely expensive FALD monitors or a TV.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

repiv posted:

Most PC monitors have just plain bad HDR so even if you want it, it's not worth using

If you did want to run 4K120 HDR you'd have to use HDMI 2.1, and yeah no GPU has three of those outputs
Good to know; Rtings shits all over PC monitor HDR ratings and I never see a good one, so I'll just start ignoring that.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

HDR gaming does look really nice when done right. It provides a really noticeable improvement to picture quality without sacrificing performance at all. So it's a shame that PC monitors are so universally bad at it. There are some new monitors coming out that might do it better. The Alienware OLED ultrawide obviously will. And there are a bunch of monitors with miniLED backlights with full-array local dimming coming out this year, some of which might even be somewhat affordable! The quality of FALD backlights can be pretty hit-or-miss though, so wait for the reviews to separate the wheat from the chaff there.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TheDK posted:

My boner for 4k is 34 inches and ultra-wide

You mean 38" and ultra-wide? :sun:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Wibla posted:

You mean 38" and ultra-wide? :sun:

You mean 40" 5k2k ultra-wide?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Saw a sexy-looking 4K+ 16:10 display in a store yesterday then immediately noped out when I saw it was Huawei :barf:

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Shumagorath posted:

Saw a sexy-looking 4K+ 16:10 display in a store yesterday then immediately noped out when I saw it was Huawei :barf:

I saw Dell put out a new 16:10 display. Sadly it wasn't 4k :(

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So i'm down to choosing between these two LG's for a 4k 32" display with USB-C. One is VA and one is IPS and $150 more. Is the more expensive one going to be that much better? It apparently has the same panel as the LG Ergo, which is fairly well regarded:

LG 32UP550-W - $396

LG 32UP83A-W - $549

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

frogbs posted:

So i'm down to choosing between these two LG's for a 4k 32" display with USB-C. One is VA and one is IPS and $150 more. Is the more expensive one going to be that much better? It apparently has the same panel as the LG Ergo, which is fairly well regarded:

LG 32UP550-W - $396

LG 32UP83A-W - $549

what are your most important use cases

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

mediaphage posted:

what are your most important use cases

Lightroom, programing/web dev, general web browsing, and was also hoping to hook it up to my Xbox.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
with the caveat i’ve used neither display

the ips will maybe have a bit more accurate colour rendition for photo editing

the va will likely have superior blacks and look better for media and xboxen

ips often has annoying ‘ips glow’, even in full black displays. traditionally vas have had some smudging of dark on white screens, though this has gotten better recently.

reviews for both in these specific issues should shed some light.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Both should have the exact same level of accuracy for sRGB when calibrated. They both have full coverage of that spectrum.

The VA panel one will have slower response times and smeary backs in motion. It will have deeper blacks, but cleaner motion is more important for gaming, in my opinion. A large flat VA panel also will have color washout on the edges, which may be worse than IPS glow.

So I'd expect the IPS to just be better for the most part, though it's entirely possible for your use case, the higher quality won't really matter or be noticed much.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I finally got my Eve Spectrum (ordered in October)! It was a long, annoying process but wow it is a very good display.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

dy. posted:

I finally got my Eve Spectrum (ordered in October)! It was a long, annoying process but wow it is a very good display.

I have a question:

Does the integer scaling mode work with variable refresh rates? i.e. if you set to 720p for 3x integer scaling does freesync still work?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

KingEup posted:

I have a question:

Does the integer scaling mode work with variable refresh rates? i.e. if you set to 720p for 3x integer scaling does freesync still work?

Others could answer more technically, but I don't see why the resolution being displayed would matter - freesync is all about FPS, so as long you are getting FPS in the range where freesync works it seems like it shouldn't be a problem.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Also, how noticeable is the flicker on 60hz strobe mode?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

KingEup posted:

I have a question:

I have no idea, not something I plan to test. I'm on g-sync instead of Freesync if it matters.

KingEup posted:

Also, how noticeable is the flicker on 60hz strobe mode?
I have nothing to really compare it to, but very noticeable. You know it's on.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65SvTs_b3RE

Linus seems to like the QD-OLEDs, still waiting to hear from HDTVTest/RTings/tftcentral etc

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

mega dy posted:

I have no idea, not something I plan to test. I'm on g-sync instead of Freesync if it matters.

I have nothing to really compare it to, but very noticeable. You know it's on.

Cheers. Would it be comparable to interlaced flicker on a CRT?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cygni posted:

Linus seems to like the QD-OLEDs
clowns like the circus

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I am So ready to buy the Dell AW3423DW. Sadly it is not yet available in EU area. It is sad too that Dell monitor arms don't fit the display - MSA14 nor MSA20 won't work. You need to use an adapter with the monitor arm and YET ANOTHER ADAPTER with the monitor itself! So you need 2 adapters to fit a Dell monitor arm to a Dell monitor, JFC Dell!

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
/me waiting patiently for a 4k 27" or 32" thunderbolt 100hz+ display that doesn't look like gamer barf .....

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

KingEup posted:

Cheers. Would it be comparable to interlaced flicker on a CRT?
It has been a long, long time since I've gazed upon the visage of a 60hz CRT monitor, but it all depends on the settings. It provides the short, medium, and long pulse-width options plus the ability to define one yourself.

Short-width pulsing is not very noticeable at all but at the cost of being pretty dim. Medium starts to become noticeable but is brighter, long is like a strobe light. If I were going to use this for a long period of time, short would probably be the only doable option for me, but I'm pretty sensitive to flicker.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

xgalaxy posted:

/me waiting patiently for a 4k 27" or 32" thunderbolt 100hz+ display that doesn't look like gamer barf .....
Eve seems to finally be filling orders if you want to go down a dangerous rabbit hole (don't do it).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

xgalaxy posted:

*sits next to you, glancing at watch impatiently*

Seriously I've been pulling my hair out over this to the point that I have at times briefly considered spending 2500 AUD on the new Apple studio display (before coming to my senses and giggling nervously)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Both 4K high refresh rate and Thunderbolt 3 are expensive niche things each in their own right, and as a combination they make for a niche so small it might for all practical purposes not exist at all. 4K high refresh rate is for extreme gaming rigs, which almost invariably means a stationary computer with a huge GPU, but Thunderbolt 3 support is for people who want to dock their laptop with a single cable. Unless you really have a 4K high refresh rate capable gaming laptop (and virtually nobody does), a monitor with both of those makes no sense. There's a reason you only see this particular combination on monitors like the Asus ProArt PA32, which is like $4000.

If the idea isn't to use a gaming laptop but rather to use the same monitor both for your gaming rig and your work-from-home laptop, then you can just buy a Thunderbolt 3 dock and hook the monitor up to that. Or just get a monitor with USB-C input, you know.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

TheFluff posted:

Both 4K high refresh rate and Thunderbolt 3 are expensive niche things each in their own right, and as a combination they make for a niche so small it might for all practical purposes not exist at all. 4K high refresh rate is for extreme gaming rigs, which almost invariably means a stationary computer with a huge GPU, but Thunderbolt 3 support is for people who want to dock their laptop with a single cable. Unless you really have a 4K high refresh rate capable gaming laptop (and virtually nobody does), a monitor with both of those makes no sense. There's a reason you only see this particular combination on monitors like the Asus ProArt PA32, which is like $4000.

If the idea isn't to use a gaming laptop but rather to use the same monitor both for your gaming rig and your work-from-home laptop, then you can just buy a Thunderbolt 3 dock and hook the monitor up to that. Or just get a monitor with USB-C input, you know.

Don't really need Thunderbolt I guess. However, my real want is to have something support daisy chaining and power delivery. And as far as I know you can only daisy chain via DisplayPort directly, or through Thunderbolt. And only Thunderbolt supports both. USB-C itself does not support daisy chaining but does support power delivery.

I guess I'm a few years ahead of the curve in terms of what my ideal setup would be and what the market offers.

Apple is really close. They just need to support MST (which they don't on their current M1 chips) and produce a display that is 100hz+ (which will happen now that DP 2.0 is fully specced out). Just a matter of when.

xgalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 17, 2022

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

xgalaxy posted:

Don't really need Thunderbolt I guess. However, my real want is to have something support daisy chaining and power delivery. And as far as I know you can only daisy chain via DisplayPort directly, or through Thunderbolt. And only Thunderbolt supports both. USB-C itself does not support daisy chaining but does support power delivery.

I guess I'm a few years ahead of the curve in terms of what my ideal setup would be and what the market offers.

Apple is really close. They just need to support MST (which they don't on their current M1 chips) and produce a display that is 100hz+ (which will happen now that DP 2.0 is fully specced out). Just a matter of when.

DisplayPort daisy chaining has never really been a thing. It was added to the spec in 2010 and pretty much nobody implemented it. You need support on the monitor side as well, it needs a DP output port, and I can't think of any even remotely recent monitor that has that. I highly doubt it'll be more widespread in the future either. Instead, the thing people are doing is getting Thunderbolt docks, because Thunderbolt does support two monitor outputs over one cable (you'll still need one DP cable per monitor from the dock). If you want two 4K monitors though and one of them is high refresh rate you'll probably want Thunderbolt 4, because I don't think TB3 has enough bandwidth to do say one 4K 120 and one 4K60.

You can get what you want already, is what I'm saying, if you just accept that you'll need a Thunderbolt dock to do it.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 17, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The problem with DP daisy chaining is there just isn't enough bandwidth in DP 1.4 to support two high end monitors, I think you can do dual 1440p60hz but anything higher res or faster than that only has enough space on the wire for one display

DP 2.0 is well overdue at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

TheFluff posted:

DisplayPort daisy chaining has never really been a thing. It was added to the spec in 2010 and pretty much nobody implemented it. You need support on the monitor side as well, it needs a DP output port, and I can't think of any even remotely recent monitor that has that. I highly doubt it'll be more widespread in the future either. Instead, the thing people are doing is getting Thunderbolt docks, because Thunderbolt does support two monitor outputs over one cable (you'll still need one DP cable per monitor from the dock). If you want two 4K monitors though and one of them is high refresh rate you'll probably want Thunderbolt 4, because I don't think TB3 has enough bandwidth to do say one 4K 120 and one 4K60.

You can get what you want already, is what I'm saying, if you just accept that you'll need a Thunderbolt dock to do it.

Not sure what you are saying exactly. I see a lot of monitors with daisy chain support and more coming out all the time.
I don't think its as niche as you think it is.

And yes DP 2.0 will make it even more widespread because you'll be able to do greater than 60hz at 4k through that spec.