Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Green Lantern #18 (1945)

I'm not a big comic reader but what's the deal with Green Lantern being weak to wood out of curiosity and is that still a thing (I can't decide if that's better or worse than him being weak to the color yellow)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Golden Age GLs ring was useless against wood. When GL was revamped in the Silver Age they just changed it to anything yellow.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The Golden Age GLs ring was useless against wood. When GL was revamped in the Silver Age they just changed it to anything yellow.

So what was the justification they used for his ring being useless against wood then?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Larryb posted:

So what was the justification they used for his ring being useless against wood then?

It was the magic's vulnerability or something. It was the 40's so it didn't have to make a shred of sense.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Decades later there was a backstory invented to give a reason but at the time it was just "superhero needs a weakness"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

A wise man said that. :hai:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rhyno posted:

Did they ever show GL being impervious to other stuff? Because yeah, it's goofy seeing him getting knocked out by a falling picture frame or whatever, but I feel like those moments would land a lot differently if he shrugged off gunfire to drive home that wood is the ring's *only* weakness.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Grendels Dad posted:

Did they ever show GL being impervious to other stuff?
Yeah, all the time.

Grendels Dad posted:

Because yeah, it's goofy seeing him getting knocked out by a falling picture frame or whatever, but I feel like those moments would land a lot differently if he shrugged off gunfire to drive home that wood is the ring's *only* weakness.
Nah. If anything, they’re goofier, because a fight with him hand-waving bullets will then resolve with an incidental wooden object knocking him out.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I get that the RING shouldn't work on wooden items, but often it seems that Alan Scott gets taken down by blunt trauma that would take down a non-GL-ring-powered person.

Admittedly, getting decked by a picture frame that isn't wrapped around a 3mx5m Flemish oil painting of food with a tiny biblical scene in the background is pretty piss-weak.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Do animation cels count as panels?

https://twitter.com/BoyCartoonist/status/1502810467424686084

I'm pretty sure I've made this same bachelor meal, except with carrots instead of celery

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AfroSquirrel posted:

Do animation cels count as panels?

https://twitter.com/BoyCartoonist/status/1502810467424686084

I'm pretty sure I've made this same bachelor meal, except with carrots instead of celery

Can almost literally fly around the world and get the best cuisine possible, but he settles for some grapes, fried chicken, and celery. With an orange soda chaser.

Did not inherit his fathers intelligence that one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zil posted:

Can almost literally fly around the world and get the best cuisine possible, but he settles for some grapes, fried chicken, and celery. With an orange soda chaser.

Did not inherit his fathers intelligence that one.

His dad built a spaceship to escape a doomed planet and decided it made more sense to shoot his baby off in it instead of figuring out how to make it large enough for at least one adult as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is a perfectly cromulant pic-a-nic basket imo

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Kinda want to see Superman chug all 2 liters of that soda - "I'm also invulnerable to SUGAR"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seventh Arrow posted:

Kinda want to see Superman chug all 2 liters of that soda - "I'm also invulnerable to SUGAR"

My super pancreas can blast out as much insulin as I need.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That is 100% a silver age power

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Superman gets diabetes and they have to amputate his toe, except none of their scalpels can cut him

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
“Who loves orange soda? Kal-El loves orange soda.”

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Lex Luthor rips off the label that says Lime flavor and reveals it was Kryptonite flavor (made with real Kryptonite!)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

thetoughestbean posted:

Superman gets diabetes and they have to amputate his toe, except none of their scalpels can cut him

New Crisis event as the Multiverse succumbs to Superman's virulent strain of gas gangrene.

(I know you will, but don't Google that. Gas gangrene is pretty hideous, even by gangrene standards.)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Maltose posted:

:vince:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Seventh Arrow posted:

Then he burps so loud that 4 birds nearby disintegrate from the sound wave

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

They let Krypto eat all the chocolate

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
krypto can eat concrete. i don't think chocolate will harm him.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

krypto can eat concrete. i don't think chocolate will harm him.

Yellow M&M’s are fine - it’s the red ones he has to watch out for.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

ImpAtom posted:

His dad built a spaceship to escape a doomed planet and decided it made more sense to shoot his baby off in it instead of figuring out how to make it large enough for at least one adult as well.

Eh, depending on origin it always seemed like the high council took the stance of "Maybe you're right Jor-El, and Krypton is doomed. But either way we don't want a panic and max exodus, so no launching large space craft, otherwise it will make people ask too many questions, and any way we're kind of a suicide cult."
"Ugh. Fine...What about small, exploration units that could maybe fit a baby?"
"I see nothing objectionable about that. Carry on."

Mr. Maltose posted:

Fantastic

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Green Lantern #18 (1945)

Captain Marvel #27 (2002)

Marshal Law: The Deluxe Edition (2013; reprints)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

so the g-stick is definitely a dildo, right?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

That would be illegal to mail to someone, so it definitely is not a dildo. Now if someone were to buy it and use it for some other purpose, there's no way that they could have foreseen that.

Yes, things are different now. But the ad is modeled on one's used in the bad old days.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Splint Chesthair posted:

Yellow M&M’s are fine - it’s the red ones he has to watch out for.

Well now I just want to see Green Lantern sharing his M&Ms with Krypto. :allears:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Isn't cold chicken a classic picnic food? I don't know, the whole tableau seems ok to me with the caveat that I wouldn't personally want chicken or soda. I think crudite and fresh fruit with another finger-food type thing is perfectly fine for a picnic.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Ghostlight posted:

Check the mailing address.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's actually a genius move by Superman to figure out how posh and pretentious Lois is. If she is too hoity-toity for congealed chicken skin and IGA orange soda then he can move on.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Larryb posted:

I'm not a big comic reader but what's the deal with Green Lantern being weak to wood out of curiosity and is that still a thing (I can't decide if that's better or worse than him being weak to the color yellow)?
The Marshal Law story currently being funny-panelled dedicates an entire page of brutality to the 'weakness to wood' issue. "Aiieee! I have splinters in my ring hand!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

That would be illegal to mail to someone, so it definitely is not a dildo. Now if someone were to buy it and use it for some other purpose, there's no way that they could have foreseen that.

Yes, things are different now. But the ad is modeled on one's used in the bad old days.

People did that back in the day too. Hence the term "personal massager."

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

How Wonderful! posted:

Isn't cold chicken a classic picnic food?

If it wasn't before, Grace Kelly and Cary Grant made it so in To Catch a Thief.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Check the mailing address.
lmao

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #93 (1961)

The X-Files Comics Digest #3 (1996)

Spider-Man Unlimited #15 (1997)

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

If it wasn't before, Grace Kelly and Cary Grant made it so in To Catch a Thief.

And that was on the glamorous French Riviera! Class city all the way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Spectacular Spider-Man #121 (1986)

Jonah J. Jameson tells his version of the robbery at The Roshomon Bank.