Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

moonmazed posted:

i don't drink really. i don't see how you can see someone expounding at length about how water "opens up the flavor" like it's some kind of magic loving spell

So you decided to opine on something you have no information about and experience in.
Whiskey, particularly high end whiskey, is something people tend to drink because they enjoy the taste and flavor, in amounts small enough to not get hammered. Adding a small bit of water to it changes the flavor profile, adding to the enjoyment.
Are all of your meals just unseasoned chicken breast and steamed vegetables, since food is just a thing people take in to meet caloric needs, and anyone who derives other sensory things from it is just deluding themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tunicate posted:

he's got magnetic teeth

Oh hey so in the Adam Project, the new Netflix Ryan Reynolds venture.

In the final showdown the evil lady goes to shoot the good guy, but the bullet is drawn into the nearby core of the particle accelerator, going through the chest of her younger self in the process.

Good guy remarks that the armor piercing bullets are drawn to the accelerator and it pays to be a nerd and know the science.

So, uh, why wasn't the gun and it's magazine full of bullets ripped out of her hands by the magnetic field?

Also if a magnetic field is strong enough to divert a bullet a few meters into its flight, isnt that past the point where it'll be ripping humans apart?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

moonmazed posted:

i don't drink really. i don't see how you can see someone expounding at length about how water "opens up the flavor" like it's some kind of magic loving spell

It’s just chemistry. IIRC it has to do with how the guaiacol — which is the alcohol molecule that gives whisky it’s flavor — reacts when the solution is diluted. The water pushes it to the surface and you pick up the aroma easier that way.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

moonmazed posted:

Alcohol is a local anaesthetic. It is also a solvent. Which means at higher concentrations it both contains more of the molecules that you taste, and deadens your tastebuds. So with higher-proof booze, adding a little water winds up enhancing the flavor because the slightly-diluted whiskey isn’t numbing your tongue as much, so you taste more of the stuff that dissolved into the whiskey from the barrel. HTH.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

tbf it would be nice if more people started just slamming their booze and not being so fanciful about it but I recognize i just sound like a dick when I put this out there

I think there’s a line. I’ve got a bunch of different whiskey and Bourbon. Some of it I’ll mix with other stuff or do shots with, some of it I’d never do that with.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Phanatic posted:

And then you inexplicably keep shooting Jaws in the teeth.

Checks out

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
lmao god drat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Phanatic posted:

Drinks that are nothing but spirits get stirred. Shaking melts more ice and dilutes the drink more, so Bond ordering his drink shaken means he wants something that’s just straight alcohol but wants it watered down for the same reason he thinks .32ACP is a potent round: Ian Fleming was a bit of a tosser.

Fun thing, Fleming was also into BDSM.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Fun thing, Fleming was also into BDSM.

Including sitting in a chair with the seat ripped out and getting his balls pummeled.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
wow, burn after reading was even more accurate than i thought

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

moonmazed posted:

that's the part that seems like magic to you? you're going to freak the gently caress out when you learn about magnets

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Haha what about the metric system you guys?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Three words. Beans. In. Chili.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

KozmoNaut posted:

Including sitting in a chair with the seat ripped out and getting his balls pummeled.

I mean there's a reason every bond movie has some analogue to this scene.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

drat, Daniel Craig's Bond has not aged like Sean Connery's Bond

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
TBH cooking steak can go gently caress itself give me my food pills now please science I am sick of preparing meals and cleaning dishes

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

TBH cooking steak can go gently caress itself give me my food pills now please science I am sick of preparing meals and cleaning dishes

I've never been any good at cooking anything like a steak. I once tried to make a blueberry pie and that was my mistake, I cooked it like a steak and it just got all flat and burnt. The seasoning also made NO sense. I should have cooked it like a pie instead.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

I've never been any good at cooking anything like a steak. I once tried to make a blueberry pie and that was my mistake, I cooked it like a steak and it just got all flat and burnt. The seasoning also made NO sense. I should have cooked it like a pie instead.

Pies take a lot of effort too and while it's a great feeling when people eat your food and enjoy it I really would have just preferred to issue out a few food pills to everyone

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Pies take a lot of effort too and while it's a great feeling when people eat your food and enjoy it I really would have just preferred to issue out a few food pills to everyone

I was making a joke implying that I was cooking a pie in the same way as you'd prepare a steak, ie seasoning with salt and pepper and frying or broiling it. I know how to bake although I'm terrible at it. Whenever I try to follow the recipe something goes wrong, like maybe I added too much of little of something so a dough won't knead properly.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Metric circumcisions tipping chili.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

I was making a joke implying that I was cooking a pie in the same way as you'd prepare a steak, ie seasoning with salt and pepper and frying or broiling it. I know how to bake although I'm terrible at it. Whenever I try to follow the recipe something goes wrong, like maybe I added too much of little of something so a dough won't knead properly.

aye it was a funny joke mate i should have yes anded

i think the secret to pies is just getting the dough premade. Quickbreads are easy enough and tbh yeast based breads aren't bad either if you have a mixer or a bread machine but it is altogether a lot of work and cleanup to be doing that stuff on the reg

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
My IIMM is how long it takes to clean up the kitchen after making pie crust. I should just start making a triple batch and shoving two thirds of it in the freezer but I never think to do it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the hit TV show FRIENDS that everyone loves, Ross Geller’s son Ben just disappears when Emma is born and Ross makes no mention of him or his ex wife again. Did Ross just abandon his child? Did Ben die? More likely, Ross has brutally murdered his son, ex-wife and her wife.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Marcel did it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the real problem was when you tried to sear it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ben does get mentioned occasionally but it's definitely hosed up that Ross still hangs around after he has not one but two kids. It's time to retire from the friends crew my man and do some child-rearing

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I seem to recall he signed a thing relinquishing rights to custody? He like gave his kid to his ex-wife and her wife. I think. Because they were moving to LA? I sure don't remember a second kid unless you mean the monkey.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In an early Curb Your Enthusiasm season Susie and Jeff have a baby that is never mentioned again

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

credburn posted:

I seem to recall he signed a thing relinquishing rights to custody? He like gave his kid to his ex-wife and her wife. I think. Because they were moving to LA? I sure don't remember a second kid unless you mean the monkey.

Nah, Ben visited occasionally but yeah he basically vanished after Ross knocked up Rachel
Also Ben was played by the guy who plays Jughead in Riverdale now

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In the US version of The Office, Erin's first name isn't Erin. It's Kelly. And the writers forget about that.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I think I might have reached the peak when Pixar movies just don't do it for me. Luca was clearly written for little kids, Soul didn't make me identify with anyone but the Moondog guy. Coco was the last one where I loving got it in the feels and bawled like a loving baby.

But Turning Red, while cute, just felt...rushed and incomplete. I can't name off anything from any of the characters other than Control Freak Mom.

Small characters like the fish tank crew in Finding Nemo felt like they had more characterization than pretty much anyone in Turning Red.

Was it the narration? Was it that I lived through that time about that age and recognized so much in the movie that it didn't feel right?

It sucks because stuff like The Incredibles, Monsters Inc, Toy Story 1-3...those are just so drat amazing. Is it fair to compare Turning Red to those?

edit: removed a term I didn't know was racist. And yeah I get why she was the way she was (similar to Encanto how everything ties back to what past generations did).

Monsters U I really liked, but mostly for the Randall parts. Inside Out was well done, but I would have loved if more of the emotion panels from the other characters were shown. Good Dinosaur and Luca had the Pixar Promise but were aimed at, what, preschoolers?

Cowslips Warren has a new favorite as of 04:23 on Mar 14, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
More recent Pixar has been hit or miss. Toy Story 4 and Monsters U are pretty great. Good Dinosaur is shockingly bad.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The existence of Yes Man (close second: the internship) irritates me. I want to say they just aren't good movies but that is giving them too much credit. They aren't even movies. At least the internship has the "it's just an ad" thing going for it. "Yes Man" is just hot garbage that feels like an ad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
E: nvm

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 13:38 on Mar 14, 2022

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
"tiger mom" is a racist stereotype

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

moonmazed posted:

"tiger mom" is a racist stereotype

Fixed it, sorry.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Named after Amy Chua's Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The existence of Yes Man (close second: the internship) irritates me. I want to say they just aren't good movies but that is giving them too much credit. They aren't even movies. At least the internship has the "it's just an ad" thing going for it. "Yes Man" is just hot garbage that feels like an ad.

The Internship is completely forgettable even by the standards of forgotten comedies.

Yes Man is such a mish-mash of terrible comedy movie ideas that it's kind of amusing. But also impossible to sit through.

Also both somehow feature Harry Potter as a major plot beat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Internship is completely forgettable even by the standards of forgotten comedies.

Yes Man is such a mish-mash of terrible comedy movie ideas that it's kind of amusing. But also impossible to sit through.

Also both somehow feature Harry Potter as a major plot beat...

The phrase is 'how do you do, fellow kids?'