Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Qwijib0 posted:

At least by 2024 the EA network will be good enough (or it won't be and we'll know what their commitment to it is) to not have to well, but about a charging network.

For the first time for me ever, the Apple Wallet EA Card worked.

Normally I have to use the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VideoGameVet posted:

Mystery EV spotted in Vegas today:

My money is on Volvo.

Not like, a lot of money though. :10bux: maximum.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Wonder if it’s one of the new Kia EV__.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

Sooooo, Driveway.com paid me out for the equity in my Mach-E 10 days ago.

They paid off the WF Auto loan yesterday and the account is closed.

And the Mach-E is still sitting in my garage and no one has contacted me about picking it up. Tuesday I emailed THEM and made sure that everything was proceeding as planned and they haven't responded.

How long do I have to wait before I can file for a new title on an abandoned vehicle?

Does your opinion of the GT change if the cost is $0? I know I would be much happier.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Did Tesla recently change their vehicle warranty time period? I have a M3 purchased in summer 2018 and my rear camera broke for the 4th time. The service personnel claimed that I was out of warranty already. The website stated 4 years so I should be well within the time period. Later on he relented and said that they will fix it as a goodwill gesture?!?!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

lostleaf posted:

Did Tesla recently change their vehicle warranty time period? I have a M3 purchased in summer 2018 and my rear camera broke for the 4th time. The service personnel claimed that I was out of warranty already. The website stated 4 years so I should be well within the time period. Later on he relented and said that they will fix it as a goodwill gesture?!?!

You can check your warranty status in the app. All the way down at the bottom of the main screen where it says view details.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

lostleaf posted:

https://www.tesla.com/support/vehicle-warranty

Also have you received the recall notice that the Model 3 has a problem with the cable harness for the rear camera that causes it to break and they have to fix it free of charge? Perhaps that might be the root of your issue...

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
welp, some dipshit in a dually decided to own the road and cut me off out of an intersection while i was already turning (it's a lovely intersection where the main road is curving and the side road comes in straight) during this blizzard and all of the driver assistance features in the world can't stop momentum. at least i got stopped by the most well-built road sign in the world! not the first time i've asked myself what the point of all these loving cameras are if at least one of them isn't recording people's loving license plates.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Looks like Lincoln design language. like a shortened Aviator, but the squareish arches are throwing me.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

VideoGameVet posted:

Could be one of the new Mazda CX-50 PHEVs, maybe.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Roadie posted:

Could be one of the new Mazda CX-50 PHEVs, maybe.

Changing my answer to this.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MrYenko posted:

My money is on Volvo.

Not like, a lot of money though. :10bux: maximum.

Polestar 3 perhaps? Which would be close.

E: oh yea looks like the mazda.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

welp, some dipshit in a dually decided to own the road and cut me off out of an intersection while i was already turning (it's a lovely intersection where the main road is curving and the side road comes in straight) during this blizzard and all of the driver assistance features in the world can't stop momentum. at least i got stopped by the most well-built road sign in the world! not the first time i've asked myself what the point of all these loving cameras are if at least one of them isn't recording people's loving license plates.

Oh no! Is the damage bad?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

President Beep posted:

Wonder if it’s one of the new Kia EV__.

It’s way bigger than my Niro EV (which is what I was sitting in when I took this pic).

There must be some off-road testing place near this charging station because several months ago, the last time I was in Vegas, it was a pre-release Rivian.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

It’s way bigger than my Niro EV (which is what I was sitting in when I took this pic).

For sure. I think they’re popping out a whole EV lineup though, including one that’s around the size of the Telluride (at least that’s what I’ve read).

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

cruft posted:

Oh no! Is the damage bad?

My brother in law the insurance agent ballparked it at 7k which I think may be low? Both doors got hit, the entire mirror assembly is hosed, the plastic fascia on the bottom of the doors broke off, half of the wheel well cover trim broke off, the front wheel cover got gouged… I dunno if any sensors broke or if the battery got damaged, no alerts popped up and it didn’t go into limp mode, so I’m hoping it’s all superficial.

just glad I didn’t have the baby with me tbh

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

My brother in law the insurance agent ballparked it at 7k which I think may be low? Both doors got hit, the entire mirror assembly is hosed, the plastic fascia on the bottom of the doors broke off, half of the wheel well cover trim broke off, the front wheel cover got gouged… I dunno if any sensors broke or if the battery got damaged, no alerts popped up and it didn’t go into limp mode, so I’m hoping it’s all superficial.

just glad I didn’t have the baby with me tbh

drat it.

I'm glad you're okay... You're okay, right? :ohdear:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

cruft posted:

drat it.

I'm glad you're okay... You're okay, right? :ohdear:

Yeah, little sore but otherwise fine.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

VideoGameVet posted:

Looks to me like a Mercedes EQE SUV with the rear triangle window covered. I saw one in my neighborhood a few weeks ago (I live near the plant where they're being built), and even the vinyl camo pattern is the same.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Gonna get one of those wraps and just drive around with it on my car.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dropped by the local dealer to check the EV6 and drat it is way bigger in person.

Gorgeous car. These 2 are the launch / first edition ones so GT-Line AWD I think. One of the buyers bailed so the one in the back is up for grabs. For like 9k over msrp lol.

Dealer has a lower trim (wind awd) coming in lole 2 weeks that I might take a stab at since it what I’ve been considering. I’m talking with the credit union tomorrow and looking at what kind of trade in offers I can get on my car and who knows if this one is still available in a few days I might do something stupid.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Been hearing a lot of “order- buyer backed out” at dealerships as ive been window shopping the last couple weeks.

How possible is it that dealers lied to the orderer saying their car is delayed 6 months and getting them to cancel so they can put it on the lot?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Been hearing a lot of “order- buyer backed out” at dealerships as ive been window shopping the last couple weeks.

How possible is it that dealers lied to the orderer saying their car is delayed 6 months and getting them to cancel so they can put it on the lot?

I’ve done orders for BMW, Ford, VW and Audi and in all cases the manufacturer is communicating directly with the customer about the status of the order via a webpage or emails or whatever. The dealer only comes in at the end of the process to take delivery and complete the sale. So you generally know when your car will be ready independent of the dealer which makes it tough to lie about. I assume the manufacturers also follow up on deliveries that aren’t sold to the original orderer since they have to refund a deposit of the ordered doesn’t take delivery.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Depends somewhat on if its a brand that actually allows custom orders. For the allocation brands where you're just buying something that's in transit a lot of people are just slapping down orders at multiple dealers and seeing what comes first.

Where you can actually custom order that's a bit less common, but people still might get antsy after months of waiting and jump on something that comes into stock sooner. Otherwise the dealership pushing customers out of their order can hurt them long-term; brands like Ford track customer order conversion ratio for future allocation/incentives.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

darnon posted:

Depends somewhat on if its a brand that actually allows custom orders. For the allocation brands where you're just buying something that's in transit a lot of people are just slapping down orders at multiple dealers and seeing what comes first.

Where you can actually custom order that's a bit less common, but people still might get antsy after months of waiting and jump on something that comes into stock sooner. Otherwise the dealership pushing customers out of their order can hurt them long-term; brands like Ford track customer order conversion ratio for future allocation/incentives.

The EVs from Kia, Ford and VW are all custom order if you want to get a place in line and guarantee you will get one at some point, and all of the tracking systems order and tracking systems are run by the manufacturer. So on the topic of whether dealers are “stealing” customer orders to sell off the lot with a markup I’d say no, and that the ones showing up on the lots with a markup are either dealer allocations or canceled orders.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I also finally saw an ev6 in person, it is a really nice looking vehicle. Shame the back isn't more squared off, it's so close to being a wagon

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Qwijib0 posted:

I also finally saw an ev6 in person, it is a really nice looking vehicle. Shame the back isn't more squared off, it's so close to being a wagon

Yeah the fastback hatch trend is not something I like, it must be for aero but it really cuts down on usable space.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

There have been tons of stolen reservations and they haven't stopped.

The system Ford created encourages dealers to convert customer "reservations" into orders without their knowledge/consent in the hopes that they've forgotten about it or moved on so the dealership can then put it on the lot. The only thing stopping the dealer from doing that and then saying "10k ADM please" in the hopes that you'll abandon it then, is getting yelled at by upper Ford brass, usually after the customer makes a stink about it on Twitter. Ford supposedly created a system where if a lot of custom orders are selling to people other than the customer that reserved them the dealership will be punished but Ive heard that Ford corporate isn't enforcing it at all and regardless if you think dealerships aren't doing everything they can do get people to abandon Bronco orders so they can put them on the lot with a 25k ADM, then I've got a bridge to sell you. On top of that, once they convert your reservation to an order they get your deposit cash and the fine print says it's theirs and you're not entitled to get it back no matter what the circumstances.

e.g. these shitbags that will let you place an order with them but won't tell you what the price will be until the car literally shows up.

https://jalopnik.com/2021-staff-pick-a-bronco-reservation-holder-tried-to-g-1847904601

It's a poo poo system and combines the worst of the impersonality of the online ordering system along with the scaminess of the dealership model.

You shouldn't have to have Mike loving Levine (head of Ford communications) intervene to not get hosed trying to buy a new car. The same stuff has happened with the Mach-E, just not as bad as the Bronco since it's not nearly as in demand.

Like, if you go online and reserve a Mach-E right now there is zero guarantee that when it gets built you will be able to purchase it for MSRP. To MAYBE make that happen you have to get ahold of the dealership and get something in writing from them which begs the question then what the fucks the point of the online reserving/ordering sytem

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 13, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

bird with big dick posted:

Like, if you go online and reserve a Mach-E right now there is zero guarantee that when it gets built you will be able to purchase it for MSRP. To MAYBE make that happen you have to get ahold of the dealership and get something in writing from them which begs the question then what the fucks the point of the online reserving/ordering sytem

This is 100% true, but it’s not dealers claiming the order was delayed and selling it to someone else it’s just dealers straight up saying “gently caress you, give us more money or we’re selling it to someone else.”

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I've spent £250 on diesel in the last 30 days, which includes 2 runs to Aberdeen and 1 run to Edinburgh.

Diesel has gone up by 5 pence per litre at my local Tesco (cheapest fuel around here) in 48 hours.

Next car is 100% going to be electric.

If I'm paying 300 to 400 quid a month on fuel (within the next few months, escalating prices as they are); I'd instead rather pay maybe 50 quid on electricity for an electric car and put the remaining £350 (plus some more on top) per month for a fancy new electric car on PCP.

Plus, given the average of a hundred quid a month maintenance the old 525D costs me, that going new and electric avec warranty and a service plan makes more sense.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Filled up yesterday for the first time in at least a month and the prices were pretty :stonklol:

I really don't drive enough to justify a (new) EV and can't charge at home but otherwise I'd definitely be looking to go electric. Can't keep giving Putin that much money.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I was able to buy my EV in mid 2020 where fuel prices were so cheap it practically made no difference in the cost per mile. Any decently efficient ICE car was approaching the same miles per dollar figure my fancy new battery electric could handle and it was pretty disappointing.

But that disappointment has now faded; the story is very different, even the best of the best hybrids are close to doubling the price per mile driven and the people in huge 4x4s or SUVs are easily lighting 8 times as much money on fire for every inch they go. If fuel prices stay this high BEVs are going to pay major dividends for anyone with a daily commute more than a mile or two.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

So back in November I put in an order for a model 3 long range and ever since Tesla has been pushing the delivery window back each time it gets close. But each time they do that the amount they push it back by has been getting smaller and the date range of the delivery window has been shrinking.

Then suddenly I got a call from a Tesla rep on Friday about updating the odometer reading for my trade in so they could make a new offer for my trade in. (the initial offer expired ages ago) Since trade in offers only last 10 days I assume them reaching out like that indicates that I will probably be getting my new car within 10 days. Oddly enough they are now offering me $100 more for my old car (2012 Honda Civic Si Sedan) than they were back in November ($10,900 vs $10,800) even though it has more miles on it now.

Premium (which my car actually does need) is up to $4.47/gal where I am so going electric can't happen soon enough. The only snag is that I am going to be out of town on the 18th-20th so I hope they don't insist that I pick up my car during that time. I mentioned this to the Tesla rep on the phone but he just gave a quick "well your order agreement says you have three days to pick up your car once it arrives" but then proceeded to try and brush it off like it wasn't a big deal.

On the plus side I already have the 240v NEMA 1450 outlet in the garage ready and the 1450 mobile charger adapter should arrive on the 17th. I ordered a wheel cap set from amazon but for whatever reason amazon says that its delayed (despite also saying that they are 16 in stock) and hasn't shipped yet.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I was able to buy my EV in mid 2020 where fuel prices were so cheap it practically made no difference in the cost per mile. Any decently efficient ICE car was approaching the same miles per dollar figure my fancy new battery electric could handle and it was pretty disappointing.

But that disappointment has now faded; the story is very different, even the best of the best hybrids are close to doubling the price per mile driven and the people in huge 4x4s or SUVs are easily lighting 8 times as much money on fire for every inch they go. If fuel prices stay this high BEVs are going to pay major dividends for anyone with a daily commute more than a mile or two.

It's way more dramatic here in NZ.

Assuming a Prius actually gets the 62mpg it's rated at consistently and my Leaf only goes 3.1 mile for each kWh the Prius will still cost twice as much to run.

That's charging at home with normal electricity rates - an EV specific plan and careful management about only charging off peak would make even more of a difference.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

My father is just over the moon that it still costs $2.50 to drive his LEAF to Santa Fe and back.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

priznat posted:

Yeah the fastback hatch trend is not something I like, it must be for aero but it really cuts down on usable space.

It definitely is for aero, it's the best mix of a boat-tail/kammeback design and practical storage space.

Unrelated:
Part of the reason I jumped on the Bolt while it still needs a battery replacement is I'm anticipating a drastic escalation in EC buyership with gas prices being what they are, and with battery and chip shortages I don't want to miss out on getting one at below MSRP.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Antillie posted:

So back in November I put in an order for a model 3 long range and ever since Tesla has been pushing the delivery window back each time it gets close. But each time they do that the amount they push it back by has been getting smaller and the date range of the delivery window has been shrinking.

Then suddenly I got a call from a Tesla rep on Friday about updating the odometer reading for my trade in so they could make a new offer for my trade in. (the initial offer expired ages ago) Since trade in offers only last 10 days I assume them reaching out like that indicates that I will probably be getting my new car within 10 days. Oddly enough they are now offering me $100 more for my old car (2012 Honda Civic Si Sedan) than they were back in November ($10,900 vs $10,800) even though it has more miles on it now.

Premium (which my car actually does need) is up to $4.47/gal where I am so going electric can't happen soon enough. The only snag is that I am going to be out of town on the 18th-20th so I hope they don't insist that I pick up my car during that time. I mentioned this to the Tesla rep on the phone but he just gave a quick "well your order agreement says you have three days to pick up your car once it arrives" but then proceeded to try and brush it off like it wasn't a big deal.

On the plus side I already have the 240v NEMA 1450 outlet in the garage ready and the 1450 mobile charger adapter should arrive on the 17th. I ordered a wheel cap set from amazon but for whatever reason amazon says that its delayed (despite also saying that they are 16 in stock) and hasn't shipped yet.

I hope it comes through for you soon. In my limited experience, the Tesla people have been fine to let the pick up date slide a day or two. I know that doesn’t guarantee anything for you, but just want to say don’t stress about it.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Aino Minako posted:

I hope it comes through for you soon. In my limited experience, the Tesla people have been fine to let the pick up date slide a day or two. I know that doesn’t guarantee anything for you, but just want to say don’t stress about it.

Well they were saying March 17th-31st. But now this morning its changed to the 24th-30th. So at least it won't overlap with me being out of town. And there is now a VIN that wasn't there before. So I guess its really happening soon?

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dropped by the local dealer to check the EV6 and drat it is way bigger in person.

Gorgeous car. These 2 are the launch / first edition ones so GT-Line AWD I think. One of the buyers bailed so the one in the back is up for grabs. For like 9k over msrp lol.

Dealer has a lower trim (wind awd) coming in lole 2 weeks that I might take a stab at since it what I’ve been considering. I’m talking with the credit union tomorrow and looking at what kind of trade in offers I can get on my car and who knows if this one is still available in a few days I might do something stupid.

Do it. Wind AWD w/ tech is the sweet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Part of the reason I jumped on the Bolt while it still needs a battery replacement is I'm anticipating a drastic escalation in EC buyership with gas prices being what they are, and with battery and chip shortages I don't want to miss out on getting one at below MSRP.

:same: