Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

suuma posted:

At the risk of being dogpiled, what's wrong with Ion Fury?

the game contains shampoo bottles labeled "ogay" and someone found a homophobic slur hidden in one of the levels. then some screenshots from the dev's private discord got leaked showing them making transphobic jokes and complaining about sjws. after the initial backlash they said they would remove the hidden slur and the ogay bottle, but a bunch of people review bombed the game on steam so they decided to keep the ogay bottle after all, which 3d realms released a statement in support of. personally i don't really care much about that particular dumb joke, but it is a good indicator of who they think is worth listening to

Guillermus posted:

The game itself is not bad but isn't as good as other recent boomer shooters.

also yeah. it's ok and i like seeing the level designers go nuts with build, but none of the weapons really feel that great and there's some annoyingly circuitous backtracking. dusk is the superior neo-retro shooter in basically every way, and if you want to see a talented designer flex with the build engine play blood: death wish

Weedle fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Ion Fury is better than Project Warlock but not as good as Dusk. gently caress the devs but I am mildly interested how the expansion will turn out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think Ion Fury is better than Project Warlock but not as good as Dusk.

agreed

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's not even in the same galaxy as DUSK.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Ion fury is miles better than dusk but inferior to Wrath.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

90s Cringe Rock posted:

the boomer shooter bundle let you split up the money by publisher individually as well as just charity & store so I do own ion fury now.
Oh hey good point, guess I'll buy that bundle with that in mind

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve tried all the notable new retro shooters, except Amid Evil (anyone have a spare key?:)), and Dusk is really the only one that I’d call great.

Playing most of the others just made me want to play the games they were aping more.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 13, 2022

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

koren posted:

Because they own the company and have control of the twitter account and physical distribution. All the contributors jumped ship after their first psychotic meltdown. The magazine has been effectively dead for well over a week.

I'm legitimately surprised to see they've come back and are still doing this after the first two 'setting the record straight' pseudo-apologies failed and they rage nuked their discord.

Oh drat, yeah then it's no surprise the magazine went under. Wouldn't mind if a non-chud would take over, because I liked the idea. Digital-only would be fine, too.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’ve tried all the notable new retro shooters, except Amid Evil (anyone have a spare key?:)), and Dusk is really the only one that I’d call great.

Playing most of the others just made me want to play the games they were aping more.

Hey, I've got a spare key for Amid Evil, I'll PM you! :D

I also have keys for Dusk and Project Warlock. If anyone wants either/both just let me know and I'll PM them to you! Codes have been taken!

bovis fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 14, 2022

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The Ion Fury dev account also went ballistic for a day in response to the backlash.

I wasn't impressed by the game. There were still too many fucky leftovers from the Build Engine I didn't like, like the awful hitboxes that resulted in shots just sailing through enemies. I can deal with that in 30 year old games, but I have no patience for it in a $20 modern release. I rate Project Warlock way above it.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

koren posted:

:chloe:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

koren posted:

Oh hey, we're talking about Wrath! I actually got early access on Steam during a sale or otherwise weak-willed moment, and I played maybe 2-3 levels of it but then stopped since I felt I might be ruining myself for the actual release. Game has top-notch level design and I enjoy the look&feel of things mostly, but it's really suffering from lack of enemy variety I feel? The recent Dev blogs are talking about boss monsters and chapter2, does that mean that they consider chapter1 to be finished and they won't update the menagerie? I know they said they'd do a another pass on weapons later in development but the amount of not-cacodemons that keep spawning in is tedious.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

bovis posted:

I also have keys for Dusk and Project Warlock. If anyone wants either/both just let me know and I'll PM them to you!

Did you feel Project Warlock is not fairly sold by its demo? Everyone keeps talking about how great it is, but my impression of the demo was that it had a bunch of doom1 monsters in it that could be countered by slowly backpedaling or just tapping the strafe key as their projectiles sail past.

I like the look of it and it's trailers etc but I'm afraid of being some rear end in a top hat asking for a key to a game I might not enjoy.

edit vv: Cheers man, yea send that key to someone who'd love it.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 14, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Thanks bovis for the key.:)

Serephina posted:

Did you feel Project Warlock is not fairly sold by its demo? Everyone keeps talking about how great it is, but my impression of the demo was that it had a bunch of doom1 monsters in it that could be countered by slowly backpedaling or just tapping the strafe key as their projectiles sail past.

I like the look of it and it's trailers etc but I'm afraid of being some rear end in a top hat asking for a key to a game I might not enjoy.

There’s also some light rpg mechanics thrown in but I think you got the gist of it. You probably won’t enjoy it if you didn’t enjoy the demo.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I actually hear a lot more antipathy for Warlock than anything. It's not very deep and the level design is simplistic, but it's one of those "mowing down the cool-looking enemy sprites" games.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

The Kins posted:

Powerslave Exhumed has updated with less chunky hitboxes when dodging projectiles, support for Invert Mouse and Gyro controls, and an internal level editor and mod support on PC.

My upside down brain can now enjoy this game, and it is good.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i was pretty disappointed with project warlock. it looks cool but is not very fun and the save system is annoying. some weapons are neat. 4/10

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

bovis posted:

I also have keys for Dusk and Project Warlock. If anyone wants either/both just let me know and I'll PM them to you!

Yo that DUSK code still available?

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

verbal enema posted:

Yo that DUSK code still available?

Sure is! I'll PM you :D

Also the Project Warlock key has also been taken so hope everyone enjoys :)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

bovis posted:

Sure is! I'll PM you :D

Also the Project Warlock key has also been taken so hope everyone enjoys :)

You a legend

Thread owns

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I actually hear a lot more antipathy for Warlock than anything. It's not very deep and the level design is simplistic, but it's one of those "mowing down the cool-looking enemy sprites" games.

Yeah that's essentially my experience as well. I played on the second highest difficulty (I think the highest included perma-death) and it seemed really easy and one-note. Looked nice though.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wanted to like Ion Fury, the levels were really nice looking but the enemies sucked real bad, like even fuckin Depth Dwellers had better enemies

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, very impressive level design, but I played the game when it was released and got bored with it, and I literally cannot remember a single enemy design.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, very impressive level design, but I played the game when it was released and got bored with it, and I literally cannot remember a single enemy design.
same but with powerslave exhumed tbh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KozmoNaut posted:

Seven varieties of indistinct men in coats and sometimes drones

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

same but with powerslave exhumed tbh

'Red spider' is very memorable thankyou

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

smdh if you don’t remember the sexy cat ladies

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Powerslave port actually increased bug variety by quite a bit

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Hill I'd gladly die on. Ion fury has some significant weaknesses, but I can appreciate the degree of craft involved at every level. I was consistently impressed with the texture work, level design and how they managed to bend the build engine to their will. I'm also one of the people who thinks for the most part the weapon roster felt decent to use once I got comfortable with the alt fire stuff. It was engaging enough that I've played through it more than once and will probably go back for the arrange mode when the expansion comes out.

Dusk, for a myriad of reasons, I simply do no care for and there's nothing I can dispassionately look at and say is impressive... except maybe that Event Horizon rotating tunnel. I think the developers probably liked that bit too because it appears twice.

Serephina posted:

Oh hey, we're talking about Wrath! I actually got early access on Steam during a sale or otherwise weak-willed moment, and I played maybe 2-3 levels of it but then stopped since I felt I might be ruining myself for the actual release. Game has top-notch level design and I enjoy the look&feel of things mostly, but it's really suffering from lack of enemy variety I feel? The recent Dev blogs are talking about boss monsters and chapter2, does that mean that they consider chapter1 to be finished and they won't update the menagerie? I know they said they'd do a another pass on weapons later in development but the amount of not-cacodemons that keep spawning in is tedious.
Yeah the game could stand to get a few extra enemies in the bestiary. Every time they patched something new into the early access builds they went back and retroactively added it to the existing maps. Maybe when the game gets a final release we'll see some more diverse encounter design.

The big problem with the flying enemies is how they tend to chill out at mid to long range and never really bother closing in. I think pathfinding is one of those legacy quake engine/map format issues and they're going to address it further in later patches.... If the game ever gets finished.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I both get the dislike for Project Warlock and unabashedly love it.

If you gave a poo poo load of guns to the Catacombs guy and added in way more gore, you get PW. I can't not love that.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Convex posted:

'Red spider' is very memorable thankyou

It would have been very nice to know that HROT had giant spiders before I played. I'm not arachnophobic but the HROT spiders are exactly the kind that I hate the look of.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
i've been avoiding Project Warlock because I like at least a little verticality in my maps but y'all are making it sound tempting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Bridgeburner had a chat with some kiwi Youtuber:
https://twitch.tv/videos/1423707823

Jimmy revamped the Discord for his Joy of Mapping series into a general hub for newcomers to learn the ropes...:
https://twitter.com/JamesPaddock/status/1503382655487950853

...and also put out Gloombase, a GZDoom map paying homage to early-2000s ZDoom maps with all their feature abuse:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gaspy Conana posted:

i've been avoiding Project Warlock because I like at least a little verticality in my maps but y'all are making it sound tempting.

Just don't go in expecting any verticality, and you'll be all set.

PW2 looks to be very Quake-like, whereas PW1 is Wolf3D-like.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Project Warlock becomes pretty fun once you get a couple guns to use

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

Project Warlock becomes pretty fun once you get a couple guns to use

Also, don't be afraid to replay earlier levels. You get to keep your new guns and any resources you find, so while you never have to grind it is possible and pretty fun

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

koren posted:

Ion fury is miles better than dusk

Easily the wrongest anyone's been in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i think ion fury has great graphics and style but the level design is rubbish