Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dang nobody seems to be buying tickets to this overnight fishing trip me and my buddies signed up for. Might have to settle for a day trip tomorrow instead. Lame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bird in a Blender posted:

The one day of the year I’m not mad when my kid decides to wake up early.

What I love is that half of my “automatic” clocks didn’t adjust so now I have to wait and see if they do or adjust them and hope that the atomic clock signal doesn’t somehow add another hour or timezone. I realize it shouldn’t but LaCrosse weather station clocks suck.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Silly Burrito posted:

atomic clock signal

I have one of these that was convinced I lived in the middle of the Pacific ocean for a few months no matter what I did, then it fixed itself and is fine now.

I assume the radio signal got messed up since that's how they work, or at least how my old rear end one does. But I don't know. I got good at translating to my time when I looked at that thing, the minutes were right!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

What I love is that half of my “automatic” clocks didn’t adjust so now I have to wait and see if they do or adjust them and hope that the atomic clock signal doesn’t somehow add another hour or timezone. I realize it shouldn’t but LaCrosse weather station clocks suck.

My phone does this every DST when I have it set to automatically get date & time from the tower. I'm in AZ yet it moves for DST all the time.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Just switch to daylight savings time and be done with it.

In happier news, our taxes are done. Gotta say I much prefer paying FreeTaxUSA $13.50 combined for both federal and state than paying TaxAct $100+ or whatever it was. Never did get to do the free CreditKarma one.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/sweetstench/status/1502793240923279363?t=12uDebFDc2ODE5G6riMhfg&s=19

We are peeing so much out of fear lol

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

That toilet is marked as dangerous territory after I’m done with it. :dadjoke:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Ironically since I’ve started working out and eating better I’m on the bowl once a day normally instead of like three times a day.

Which works out great because the toilet paper at work is borderline sandpaper and using that once a day every other week alone is borderline hemorrhoid territory :mad:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Just switch to daylight savings time and be done with it.

In happier news, our taxes are done. Gotta say I much prefer paying FreeTaxUSA $13.50 combined for both federal and state than paying TaxAct $100+ or whatever it was. Never did get to do the free CreditKarma one.

The credit karma one is still free it’s just through Cashapp instead. I did mine through them and it was easy

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

T-Square posted:

Ironically since I’ve started working out and eating better I’m on the bowl once a day normally instead of like three times a day.

Which works out great because the toilet paper at work is borderline sandpaper and using that once a day every other week alone is borderline hemorrhoid territory :mad:

This is the real reason working from home is superior.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

I clicked through to look at the scale. It starts going up at 1900. That just so happens to be when cheap food and clean water was readily available, and now people don't have to work in the fields all day long to tend to their crops so they aren't sweating out all of the water. More food = more bowel movements.

I wonder how the global BMI would track with that graph.

Also, I gotta call bullshit on less than one urination a day. Like, how? Just taking a pee every morning when waking up is 1 a day. Was everyone dehydrated back then?

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 13, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CannonFodder posted:

I clicked through to look at the scale. It starts going up at 1900. That just so happens to be when cheap food and clean water was readily available, and now people don't have to work in the fields all day long to tend to their crops so they aren't sweating out all of the water. More food = more bowel movements.

I wonder how the global BMI would track with that graph.

I also don't think there's any reliable way to know what average daily bowel movements were in the 1600s.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I have to imagine my anxiety would be higher in feudal times when I’m living in some shack and working the fields every day and some rear end in a top hat could force me into a war at a moments notice.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That's a troll tweet fellas.

Maybe not even meant with bad intentions but as a joke, but yeah the pew research center is not charting bowel movement polls as far as I can tell.

Skwirl posted:

I also don't think there's any reliable way to know what average daily bowel movements were in the 1600s.

Either once a day or 'oh holy poo poo I'm about to die' is what Oregon Trail taught me about a century or two later.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 13, 2022

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Grittybeard posted:

That's a troll tweet fellas.

Maybe not even meant with bad intentions but as a joke, but yeah the pew research center is not charting bowel movement polls as far as I can tell.

Either once a day or 'oh holy poo poo I'm about to die' is what Oregon Trail taught me about a century or two later.
Pew Research, more like PEE POOP Reseach!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1503108914254172167

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Oh wow, I didn't realise he was 71. Still loving sucks.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bird in a Blender posted:

I have to imagine my anxiety would be higher in feudal times when I’m living in some shack and working the fields every day and some rear end in a top hat could force me into a war at a moments notice.

The billion ways you could and probably would die probably settled in as a dull haze of fatalism

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Pacific Northwest people: My wife and I desperately need a vacation so we settled on sending ~2 days in Seattle and the rest of the time (5-6 days) staying and hiking in the Olympic National Park.

We're planning on the fall, but is there any reason the weekend after Labor day would be a bad time to travel to the area?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Its Rinaldo posted:

The billion ways you could and probably would die probably settled in as a dull haze of fatalism

Yeah, I am guessing you would die the moment you tried to drink any wayer.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Its Rinaldo posted:

Eh, not having a 24 hour news cycle and 2 or 3 social media apps sending alerts for poo poo every five minutes and not having group chats where theres no escape from news or things that have people concerned probably do wonders for your anxiety. Also getting plenty of vitamin D and consuming all locally grown produce and meat you'd hunted or raised and having no intake of processed food... I can definitely see a world where even if your concern is a bandit's sword in your guts or being pressed into a vanguard with a coat of ring mail and a fire sharpened spear to face a cavalry unit your day to day isn't so bad.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

William Hurt starred in a cute, fun movie called Rare Birds, with an uncle of mine as co-star. It was date fodder for me, back when I cared about dating. I think I'll re-watch it tonight.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Silly Burrito posted:

CreditKarma one.

I tried to use it one year but it didn’t support sending a state return for a state you worked in but did not live in.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

BlindSite posted:

Eh, not having a 24 hour news cycle and 2 or 3 social media apps sending alerts for poo poo every five minutes and not having group chats where theres no escape from news or things that have people concerned probably do wonders for your anxiety. Also getting plenty of vitamin D and consuming all locally grown produce and meat you'd hunted or raised and having no intake of processed food... I can definitely see a world where even if your concern is a bandit's sword in your guts or being pressed into a vanguard with a coat of ring mail and a fire sharpened spear to face a cavalry unit your day to day isn't so bad.

Literally all food is processed. I think you mean to say industrial processed foods.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

BigPaddy posted:

I tried to use it one year but it didn’t support sending a state return for a state you worked in but did not live in.

I couldn't use it because my credit reports are frozen, and it wouldn't work even with a temporary thaw.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

C’moonnn pork shoulder hurry up and finish!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

Modern medicine is a miracle.

In the time period you are describing, if you get sick in the many many many ways it is possible to get sick, you basically die from everything.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Modern medicine is a miracle.

In the time period you are describing, if you get sick in the many many many ways it is possible to get sick, you basically die from everything.

No way man, eating natural straight from the ground food without the use of anything to clean them and using bark and leaches as medicine easily kept people alive and healthier than today's "medicine". This is evidenced by

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

No way man, eating natural straight from the ground food without the use of anything to clean them and using bark and leaches as medicine easily kept people alive and healthier than today's "medicine". This is evidenced by

Jordan Peterson didn’t languish in a Russian hospital for you to cook your meat, OKAY?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Samadhi posted:

Pacific Northwest people: My wife and I desperately need a vacation so we settled on sending ~2 days in Seattle and the rest of the time (5-6 days) staying and hiking in the Olympic National Park.

We're planning on the fall, but is there any reason the weekend after Labor day would be a bad time to travel to the area?

Nah, that time is fine. Stuff will be busy as any other place during Labor Day. Early September is usually pretty hot here (80-90 degrees, starts cooling down in late September). Olympic National Park is great. If you're feeling adventurous you could probably do a trip to Victoria BC from Port Angeles for a day (assuming COVID doesn't gently caress the border crossings again).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The amount of shits per day you take is very correlated to whether your diet is high in roughage/fiber and vegetable matter vs. high in meat and protein. Our food in a lot of ways is way better now than its ever been before (amount of potentially dangerous bacteria, completeness of vitamin content, fresh produce year round, doesn't contain ground bits of rock that wear down your teeth, etc.) but it's also far worse in other ways (vastly more sugar, often too much sodium, possibly harmful pesticides/herbicides/random chemicals and poo poo that cause cancer) and we're also as a population far more sedentary, for good and for ill. We also all drink loads of coffee (a laxative), tea/caffeine (diuretics), etc. There's too many factors to make easy comparisons of bowel movements per day or whatever the gently caress that tweet was trying to say.

That said, stress is bad for you and we have a lot of stress these days so I'm sure that's true regardless of whether we're peeing too much or something.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam
I pee as much as possible so everyone knows what belongs to me.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I hate the idea that processed automatically equals bad. It doesn't. Food has been processed to make it easier to eat, cheaper to eat, stays fresher longer, and sometimes more nutritious. It's some real loving privilege to eat "unprocessed" foods. And pretty much everything is processed anyway so it's stupid to think you're eating something unprocessed unless you grew it yourself.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When people talk about "processed food" what they really mean is food loaded with preservatives. Chowing down on tons of sodium nitrate is probably not super good for you.

Obviously breaking down a cow into pieces is also processing, but that's not what people are talking about.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
You know who has two thumbs and is gonna poop?

This guy! :mmmhmm:

Early St. Patrick's Day dinner. Corned beef, cabbage, and cottage pie.

Also the cabbage released a lot of water with the corned beef and made something similar to pot liquor from making collard greens. I had a mug of salty flavor water and I'll do it again.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Back in the day, people drank alcohol all the time and probably only consumed water via beer , they were probably massively dehydrated without realizing it and would chug for minutes if you offered them a jug of fresh water and I bet their pee was always yellow to orange and funky as hell

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

There's a lot of misconception about what is and isn't bad for you, mainly made popular by diet culture. There's not a lot of evidence that sodium nitrates are unsafe. I mean, if you were eating pounds and pounds of bacon daily, it's not going to be the nitrates that are going to kill you, let's be honest. Most people don't eat pounds and pounds of bacon a day though.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Samadhi posted:

seiferguy posted:

Nah, that time is fine. Stuff will be busy as any other place during Labor Day. Early September is usually pretty hot here (80-90 degrees, starts cooling down in late September). Olympic National Park is great. If you're feeling adventurous you could probably do a trip to Victoria BC from Port Angeles for a day (assuming COVID doesn't gently caress the border crossings again).

If it's your bag, see if you can take a rafting excursion down the Hoh river. Goes straight through the park through the Hoh Rain Forest, a temperate rainforest which is gorgeous.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Any pee conversation immediately reminds me of this:
https://twitter.com/AnwarRichardson/status/851914635833901058

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pron on VHS posted:

Back in the day, people drank alcohol all the time and probably only consumed water via beer , they were probably massively dehydrated without realizing it and would chug for minutes if you offered them a jug of fresh water and I bet their pee was always yellow to orange and funky as hell

This was true in England, and probably several other places in Europe, because they'd contaminated their water and didn't know that was why they'd get sick from drinking cold water. But obviously not the case worldwide. And, they drank "small beer" which was between .5% and maybe 2.5% or so alcohol content.