Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

seems it's just the brazilian portuguese localization that's half assed, the other languages are fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Still weird for a major titles localization to get half assed like that

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Volte posted:

The broken part is that it's almost trivial to get enough materials to upgrade multiple fancy boss weapons without even looking for them, but even if you get every single Bell Bearing for the regular ones, it's still like half a million runes required to fully upgrade a single weapon. It basically disincentivizes using the regular weapons at all, at least until much later in the game.

Regular weapons let you customize the weapon ash, which can change the damage type to holy, magic, frost, or cause bleed. It can also change the scaling stat of the weapon too, like using a colossal weapon that scales off dex instead of str.

Weapon ashes are basically free swaps too, so you can change up your weapon damage type as needed to deal with enemy resistances. There's no cost to anything, you just need to find a copy of the weapon ashes and slot them in/out.

It's so much better then previous games it's almost crazy.

Oh, and weirdly enough, what has been tested as the best magic staff in the game is one you pick up off a random corpse in magic town and requires no upgrades. It is kind of strange how there's the overall game, and then these little bits that are wildly in-congruent with the rest of it but are vastly superior game design ideas.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 13, 2022

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
My biggest problem with ER isn't the weapon upgrading (though I'm not a huge fan of it), but the magic upgrading. The only way to unlock mid-tier spells for a sorcerer is to find a scroll in a graveyard, near the church in the southern part of Liurnia. The graveyard isn't a big enough location to even get marked on the map, so if you only visit the church and then head north like the game wants you to, you can spend the next 15 hours stuck with basic-rear end spells and no indication that you can get better ones. You can't buy it later, either--you either find that scroll or you spend a bunch of time underpowered. I still love the game, but that kind of design decision is indefensible.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Someone should make an Elden Ring thread.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
The perfect metaphor for Elden Ring's upgrading system is in the very first church they give you one smithing stone and an anvil to upgrade your weapons with.

You need two smithing stones to upgrade a base weapon.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Jagged Jim posted:

The perfect metaphor for Elden Ring's upgrading system is in the very first church they give you one smithing stone and an anvil to upgrade your weapons with.

You need two smithing stones to upgrade a base weapon.

That's a weird vestigial mechanic too, the smithing table in that church can only upgrade to +3

But before you'll even find enough materials to take a weapon to +3 you get access to the blacksmith who can upgrade things to +25

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Non-Elden Ring:

I went to try out Guardians of the Galaxy on gamepass and the xbox app is pure cancer

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

One more Steam controversy for the weekend: London-based Polish developer Mu-Ha decided to donate 100% of the Russian, Belarusian, and Ukrainian sales of Thea and Thea 2 towards help for Ukraine. The news posts descended into outrage from Russians and players who demanded that politics stay out of video games, arguments over whether art should be political or not, some supporting the move, and the now-standard "Ukraine are actually Nazis and now by supporting them YOU are Nazis". And now both games are being review-bombed by trolls.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Thea and Thea 2 are lovely, by the way.

Quite difficult, too, imo.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I wouldn't mind a system where you give something like 5 level 1 smithing stones to the smith and he can now upgrade all your weapons to level +1 for a fee, permanently. Same for higher levels. I want to try more cool weapons without investing my entire stone collection.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m still seeing people say that upgrading weapons doesn’t matter because you can technically beat the game while level 1 and naked

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

really because earlier today i saw a guy beat a boss getting declared one of the hardest in the game while soul level 1 without taking a hit and someone said he was cheating by using a shield to parry

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I think level one runs still upgrade weapons, though that may depend on runner

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Mechanical purists are so weird. I've been watching someone stream a run that ended up being SL1 for shits and giggles, and people have said he's cheating because he's using an overpowered weapon. The weapon in question? A basic-rear end longsword.

I've been playing without using ash summons because I want the challenge of it but even using a +10 mimic tear and Moonveil is just as valid a way to play.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Souls games are the epitome of capital G Gamer nonsense.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Elden Ring has no problem throwing two or three bosses at you at once, you shouldn't have a problem doing what you need to to win

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Mechanical purists are so weird. I've been watching someone stream a run that ended up being SL1 for shits and giggles, and people have said he's cheating because he's using an overpowered weapon. The weapon in question? A basic-rear end longsword.

I've been playing without using ash summons because I want the challenge of it but even using a +10 mimic tear and Moonveil is just as valid a way to play.

There are stuff that is cheesy but what weirdos consider cheesynseems random.

Like that art that gives you a better roll is considered cheesy.

It’s not that good

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

My biggest problem with ER isn't the weapon upgrading (though I'm not a huge fan of it), but the magic upgrading. The only way to unlock mid-tier spells for a sorcerer is to find a scroll in a graveyard, near the church in the southern part of Liurnia. The graveyard isn't a big enough location to even get marked on the map, so if you only visit the church and then head north like the game wants you to, you can spend the next 15 hours stuck with basic-rear end spells and no indication that you can get better ones. You can't buy it later, either--you either find that scroll or you spend a bunch of time underpowered. I still love the game, but that kind of design decision is indefensible.
What kind of person isn't robbing every single graveyard they catch a glimpsing sight of?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

anyone having problems logging into steam? its not accepting my password and when i try to reset my password it says "An error occurred while searching for an associated account. Please try again."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kly posted:

anyone having problems logging into steam? its not accepting my password and when i try to reset my password it says "An error occurred while searching for an associated account. Please try again."

Looks like https://steamstat.us/ says everything is normal so maybe give it a little while, and make sure you have your username correct?

e: actually now it says there's a login problem! So there you go

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm finally playing Control and holy poo poo I hate the checkpoint system. Death is incredibly punishing because I have to backtrack multiple rooms to get where I was. It's like it actually doesn't want me to explore which sucks for a mystery game with stuff hidden away.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sway Grunt posted:

Amid Evil is so good. I instantly like it more than Dusk, the setting, the weapons, the feel, the enemy animations, etc., just way more up my alley (and I liked Dusk!). Beat the first two regions but I'm super looking forward to the rest of it.

the remaining episodes are even better, amid evil really hits its stride after the first two

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ghostlight posted:

What kind of person isn't robbing every single graveyard they catch a glimpsing sight of?
And if you don't catch a glimpsing sight of it? Or you see it but you're focused on going somewhere else first and forget about it?

There are multiple ways to deal with this (make the upgrade drop from a required boss, put it in multiple places, direct the player to it somehow) and From did none of them. That's fine for some legendary endgame spell, but not for a major part of a caster's progression.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I mean, that's how they've always done this stuff. DS3 had all the prayerbooks and scrolls be just in random chests or sparklies in weird places and no one seemed to really complain about THAT.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Elden Ring has notes you can buy from the merchants. These notes give hints about stuff. Like one is about the Flask of Wondrous Physick and where you can find it.

Would it be so bad if they had those for other things?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, that's how they've always done this stuff. DS3 had all the prayerbooks and scrolls be just in random chests or sparklies in weird places and no one seemed to really complain about THAT.

the difference is that elden ring's world is open in all directions and 30x the size

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

the difference is that elden ring's world is open in all directions and 30x the size

I mean, I guess, but you also don't need every single sorcery to complete the game. I think it's fine for some stuff to be missable, that's kinda the big thing in From games. Unless you use a wiki, you're going to miss things, and I think that's a good thing. It's a nice contrast to every other open world game which gets nervous if they can't put a marker, a quest giver and a main character voice line on every minor bit of interaction in the world. It's nice to actually be rewarded for thorough exploration of a game world.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Infinity Gaia posted:

I mean, I guess, but you also don't need every single sorcery to complete the game. I think it's fine for some stuff to be missable, that's kinda the big thing in From games. Unless you use a wiki, you're going to miss things, and I think that's a good thing. It's a nice contrast to every other open world game which gets nervous if they can't put a marker, a quest giver and a main character voice line on every minor bit of interaction in the world. It's nice to actually be rewarded for thorough exploration of a game world.

tbh that's a bit different from "every single one of your spells is stinky doodoo 'cause you missed a macguffin" or whatever it was earlier

forget the smithing stone thing even

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 14, 2022

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Infinity Gaia posted:

It’s like the Scrolls games in that I’m halfway through my playthrough and already planning out the next one. Except this time I’m also thinking about what quests I’ll do next time. My first run through I just say yes to everyone / pick the first option. That’s led to some sadness. I also moved too fast for someone’s quest I think. Next time around I’ll do it differently, and probably even find new quests I didn’t catch this time, so not only will I have a different mechanical experience I’ll also have a pretty different narrative experience.

I cannot imagine doing that in most other open places world games. Neither the mechanics nor the story support it.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

CarlCX posted:

That Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday is not included in this is the highest form of disappointment and villainy.

Agreed, that sucks. Probably some licensing bullshit involved. Matrix Cubed was an okay game too imho.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Cheap Trick posted:

Agreed, that sucks. Probably some licensing bullshit involved. Matrix Cubed was an okay game too imho.

Yeah, the licensing hell for the Buck Rogers thing is three or four levels past that for the D&D games themselves.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Spelljammer game seems to be missing too for some reason

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Antigravitas posted:

Thea and Thea 2 are lovely, by the way.

Quite difficult, too, imo.

Indeed. The music and art are fantastic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
When's the rockstar sale end? It says weekend but a set time would be nice

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Spelljammer game seems to be missing too for some reason

I feel like that one may never get a re-release because it was just so broken.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Is this the sorcery scroll in question? https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Academy+Scroll

That's not something critical to progression. It just unlocks two particular spells (and they don't even seem to be very good; I dunno, I didn't try them myself).

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

When's the rockstar sale end? It says weekend but a set time would be nice

https://store.steampowered.com/news/group/1541443/view/3123814899777188242

Should have the end time on it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Ciaphas posted:

tbh that's a bit different from "every single one of your spells is stinky doodoo 'cause you missed a macguffin" or whatever it was earlier

forget the smithing stone thing even

OK but they're not though, they just aren't as visually interesting. The spells you start with / that are base have amazing scaling, and do a poo poo ton of damage with the proper stats. I still use the first spell I got as classing a mage (the first spell you get in the game as well,) and it's one of the best work horses of the game. The spells that scroll gives are NOT that great. It's also 2 spells out of 70. We're literally just making poo poo up now.

Triarii posted:

Is this the sorcery scroll in question? https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Academy+Scroll

That's not something critical to progression. It just unlocks two particular spells (and they don't even seem to be very good; I dunno, I didn't try them myself).

Yeah exactly what I'm saying.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

CharlestheHammer posted:

Still weird for a major titles localization to get half assed like that

I've done localization work for a couple of companies. The usual problem is that translations are too long to fit on the screen, so, assuming the exist, automated length checks focus on making sure the translation is short enough. It wouldn't have even occurred to me to worry about the translation being too short. Even places where it was considered important, most of the localization quality control was handled by running things past whichever random employee happened to speak that language. If nobody happens to speak it, it probably doesn't get checked beyond seeing that there is a translation. I used to have localization voice-overs running in the background while working on other things, and I caught a few things that way, but there's no way one person can check every language. It's funny/shocking the translation is so lazy, but localization tends to be the least well funded part of any project.