Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MechaX posted:

I only made it past chapter 2 (because man there's a lot of set up and dialogue), but I'm having fun right now. The enemies in battle hit pretty drat hard, but the quicksave is pretty generous so I appreciate that at least.

I know I saw some earlier complaints about Serenoa being boring, and while I agree, I think I'm fine with Serenoa being just a competent, honest rear end dude in a sea of GoT-style schemers. Interested to see where this goes later in the game.

The English VA is... fine, I'm not going to change it to Japanese or anything unless the quality really craters later on. Given the prior roles that a lot of these VAs have been in, this seems like some pretty dire voice direction. Like, there's no way a lot of these lines could have been the best takes from these actors (Serenoa's VA did loving Sylvando from Dragon Quest 11 for christ's sake; that VA can emote better than this). But that's just a minor complaint I have so far.

I was one of those complainers, and im in chapter 9. Serenoas grown on me a lot over the course of the story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Yeah, Serenoa grew on me as a character more than he did as a unit... his endgame skills are just not good compared to some of his allies... toward the end he was more item bot than DPS.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...It's taken me until chapter 11 to notice that Anna took Benedict's last name. It's a good thing I did, too, because the father-daughter dynamic was particularly strong in the scene I was watching.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
lmao so apparently I just hired a scumfuck war profiteer. Unless he has some extremely badass abilities he's gonna stay benched.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’m on the version of chapter XI where you defend the Rosellen village and the guest character keeps getting himself killed. Is there any bonus for keeping him alive? He’s a pain and I don’t want to waste Geela’s turns healing him.

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 13, 2022

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I’m on the version of chapter XI where you defend the Rosellen village and the guest character keeps getting himself killed. Is there any bonus for keeping him alive? He’s a pain and I don’t want to waste Veela’s turns healing him.

Nope, let him get mulched for his hubris.

Anyway, I just completed my first run through of the game, and I know this game is good and something special because normally at the end of games like this, I feel burned out and just want to finish. With this game, I just want to dive right into NG+ and continue.

As for Serenoa, it does feel like he has narcolepsy half the time, but then sometimes he has some real sass or fury behind his acting and the discrepancy just makes it stand out even more. The way he dealt with Telliore was ice loving cold.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I beat the town defense without using the traps and no ladder building guy.

I just abused ice walls. I had Julio constantly giving BP to Corantin and blocking off the stairs while all my mages rained down spells. Some dudes broke through and I lost a few units but I won and I was pretty proud of myself.

Now I have ladder guy and Storm I guess?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Im mad i couldnt just kill gustov along with Avalorn in the throne room. Could have used the Dawnspear along with Anna and Serenoa and ended the dumb invasion immediately.

Then the mine would be under glenbrook and Wolffert control, Hyzante would have had to accept their status as vassal or be crushed under a united Aestfrost and Glenbrook empire.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Novasol posted:

Nope, let him get mulched for his hubris.

Anyway, I just completed my first run through of the game, and I know this game is good and something special because normally at the end of games like this, I feel burned out and just want to finish. With this game, I just want to dive right into NG+ and continue.

As for Serenoa, it does feel like he has narcolepsy half the time, but then sometimes he has some real sass or fury behind his acting and the discrepancy just makes it stand out even more. The way he dealt with Telliore was ice loving cold.

I got hit by the same itch. I had cleared it on tuesday and thought I was gonna be done with the game, but I found that I wanted to play more of it so I started up NG+.

I'll probably clear it two more times Once to see what happens when I side with Aesfrost and again to get the golden route ending. Because there's no way in hell I'm going to side with Hyzante.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
One thing I'm really noticing is that it feels as though all of us are picking the same choices in their first playthrough. There's some that just feel RIGHT and it's very hard to not go along with them. Like who the gently caress wants to give up Roland? Or who thinks Silvio is anything other than a massive lying jerk?
I do like that in these story battles when I get specific characters that help me it doesn't matter if they die - because they die quite a lot.

So I'm on Chapter XIX right now and I've got a few questions about the story things just before what I'm doing. I'll put it in spoilers but I know it's going to be hard to know if it's a spoiler for people at their position in the game.

I got to choose three potential paths. Go with Frederica and do a load of insane bollocks, immediately join Hyzante with Roland or join Aesfrost with Benedict. I chose the insane bollocks because the other two felt extremely callous. Roland went 'yea I was wrong, I choose to stay' and Benedict kicked the gently caress off and attacked me.
My question is - if I'd used Benedict at all during the game would he have done what Roland did? If I'd NOT been using Roland would he have attacked too? Or is it based on my Convictions there? Or does it just happen that way regardless (that one path unites you with two characters and makes one hate you)

I also had a 3 way choice about two chapters ago and I'd be curious what happens if you picked the other two.
If I went to see Dad would he still have died? I assume Milo killed him but she told me she'd come along with me so maybe she wouldn't have done it. What happens if I stay in the town with Roland? That one seemed like a decision that basically went nowhere. And I'd have missed out getting bandit girl!
OR is it another - like the decision at the start - pick a path for a specific character sorta decision?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

I got to choose three potential paths. Go with Frederica and do a load of insane bollocks, immediately join Hyzante with Roland or join Aesfrost with Benedict. I chose the insane bollocks because the other two felt extremely callous. Roland went 'yea I was wrong, I choose to stay' and Benedict kicked the gently caress off and attacked me.
My question is - if I'd used Benedict at all during the game would he have done what Roland did? If I'd NOT been using Roland would he have attacked too? Or is it based on my Convictions there? Or does it just happen that way regardless (that one path unites you with two characters and makes one hate you)

I also had a 3 way choice about two chapters ago and I'd be curious what happens if you picked the other two.
If I went to see Dad would he still have died? I assume Milo killed him but she told me she'd come along with me so maybe she wouldn't have done it. What happens if I stay in the town with Roland? That one seemed like a decision that basically went nowhere. And I'd have missed out getting bandit girl!
OR is it another - like the decision at the start - pick a path for a specific character sorta decision?

They set it up for that choice that each character has one thing they're just completely opposed too. frederica would never go along with the roland plan, roland would never go with benedict. benedict would be fine with roland's plan ultimately since it doesn't mean completely giving up wolfort's position

As for the earlier choice it determined which late game character you get, yup. milo's information is meant to clue you in on this so you can logic out who the other likely recruits on the other paths would be.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

They set it up for that choice that each character has one thing they're just completely opposed too. frederica would never go along with the roland plan, roland would never go with benedict. benedict would be fine with roland's plan ultimately since it doesn't mean completely giving up wolfort's position

As for the earlier choice it determined which late game character you get, yup. milo's information is meant to clue you in on this so you can logic out who the other likely recruits on the other paths would be.

Yea I can see that, it makes sense.
Roland's idea seems so unbelievably out of nowhere honestly, but I could have SORTA seen them both going along with that if we could guarantee the Rosala had freedom

Who do you get if you go to the third option that we didn't mention there? I was really expecting to get the Rosalan spear guy going to the village honestly but gently caress the bandit girl is amazing so whatever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

Roland's idea seems so unbelievably out of nowhere honestly, but I could have SORTA seen them both going along with that if we could guarantee the Rosala had freedom

Who do you get if you go to the third option that we didn't mention there? I was really expecting to get the Rosalan spear guy going to the village honestly but gently caress the bandit girl is amazing so whatever.

A sorta clever bit with this is the choices each are "fine" with are also the convictions they used to represent.

The third is cordelia, so you get a lady no matter which way you go.

As for Roland it was suprising but it didn't seem out of character to me. what benedict says about him is sorta on the money and roland probably has their core beliefs shaken the most out of everybody while the other two change but become more resolute.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 13, 2022

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Snooze Cruise posted:

A sorta clever bit with this is the choices each are "fine" with are also the convictions they used to represent.

There's a fourth. If you sell out the Roselle and go to the village, you get Travis

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Roland at least talks highly of Hyzante's actions and is willing to sacrifice himself so I can see it somewhat. But he's also horrified by the source and is willing to defend the Rosellen from Hyzante earlier so I still feel it's more out of left field than it should be.

Now, Avlora suddenly flicking off Aesfrost to join Cordelia... oh boy is that much weirder no matter how much latter justification they try and give it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Snooze Cruise posted:

In terms of paths:

The Benedict path seemed like the most logical one to me. I didn't feel I could just walk away and wash my hands of Norzelia. I went out of my way for the Roselle every time they came up in game, but there are good people who'd be hosed if we left them alone.

This way the Roselle ended up free and frankly the most competent person, Serenoa, ended up in charge of all Norzelia. It just seemed right that the ruling family of Norzelia is the King of Glenbrook and a member of the Saintly Seven who is married to an Aesfrosti Rosellan.

Of course then he went full capitalist, but eh, nobody's perfect.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Arrrthritis posted:

There's a fourth. If you sell out the Roselle and go to the village, you get Travis

oh yeaaaah, forgot about that... he can just be a honorary lady so what I say wasn't wrong.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ah drat I wish I'd gone for them now!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

McTimmy posted:

Now, Avlora suddenly flicking off Aesfrost to join Cordelia... oh boy is that much weirder no matter how much latter justification they try and give it.

The justification is they are lesbians

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

McTimmy posted:

Roland at least talks highly of Hyzante's actions and is willing to sacrifice himself so I can see it somewhat. But he's also horrified by the source and is willing to defend the Rosellen from Hyzante earlier so I still feel it's more out of left field than it should be.

To be fair there was a lot of Gustadolph and Siblings just being huge assholes to her. It was not hard to see her growing dissatisfaction with them.

Also on the three routes they have fun little names. Moral Liberty, Utilized Morality, Free Utility.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

The justification is they are lesbians

Seems like a hell of an age gap

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Taear posted:

Seems like a hell of an age gap

I don't get the impression Avolra is that old. She seems pretty young for a general like Exharme.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Snooze Cruise posted:

I don't get the impression Avolra is that old. She seems pretty young for a general like Exharme.

Probably mid thirties she was a child at the end of the Saltiron War which ended 30 years ago.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Taear posted:

You get a better sense why Roland is pushing that choice if you made the decision to stay and help him out.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MonsterEnvy posted:

Probably mid thirties she was a child at the end of the Saltiron War which ended 30 years ago.

I see, I see. That still seems young to me for a general but I guess it was more common for medieval times?

So def an age gap but unless cordelia's age is listed in an art book or something I'll read her as 20 or something.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 14, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
e: double post

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Is there any way to get tier one class upgrade medals?

I still have a couple people to reclass, but the story battles are dropping tier 3 medals and I havent had any level ones drop in the mental battles.

The kudos store hasn't restocked since before I bought the third quietus upgrade. Like chapter 9 I think?

Edit: just beat chapter XIV. Archibald restocked himself and we're all good.

Tall Tale Teller fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 14, 2022

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Snooze Cruise posted:

I see, I see. That still seems young to me for a general but I guess it was more common for medieval times?

So def an age gap but unless cordelia's age is listed in an art book or something I'll read her as 20 or something.

I had her in my head as like 16?

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Is there any way to get tier one class upgrade medals?

I still have a couple people to reclass, but the story battles are dropping tier 3 medals and I havent had any level ones drop in the mental battles.

The kudos store hasn't restocked since before I bought the third quietus upgrade. Like chapter 9 I think?

Edit: just beat chapter XIV. Archibald restocked himself and we're all good.

Yea don't worry you'll 100% have enough to upgrade everyone. All the new recruits begin at Veteran anyway.
I noticed someone else earlier posting as though "Veteran" was lower than Recruit which was confusing

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
True ending part 1

Uhh, I have only 7 characters and I have three waves of enemies to deal with and uhhh idk how I even begin to win this.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

True ending part 1

Uhh, I have only 7 characters and I have three waves of enemies to deal with and uhhh idk how I even begin to win this.

Getting the most mileage you can out of the traps helps a lot and to help set that up it helps to block off paths enemies can take since they'll usually just take detours which can run them right into a trap. For example the bottom center trap can wipe out a good number of enemies if you block off the steps next to where most of the enemies start with some oil and fire, Anna was really handy for this since she'll get her turn rather quickly and she gets two actions. Also it can really help if you can get Exharme to step into the area with the center trap to knock him out asap.

Alard fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 14, 2022

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Alard posted:

Getting the most mileage you can out of the traps helps a lot and to help set that up it helps to block off paths enemies can take since they'll usually just take detours which can run them right into a trap. For example the bottom center trap can wipe out a good number of enemies if you block off the steps next to where most of the enemies start with some oil and fire, Anna was really handy for this since she'll get her turn rather quickly and she gets two actions. Also it can really help if you can get Exharme to step into the area with the center trap to knock him out asap.

I actually managed to win in the attempt I was just complaining about in what I think is probably the most insane defense I've ever pulled in any strategy game.

I managed to set up team lightning machine, so Benedict/Julio/Medina/Ezana in the top right of the map. Together they managed to fire off global lightning around five times.

Combined with the top fire lane taking down 3 enemies and blocking that route, I ended up with Exharme isolated near the lightning group whilst Anna (She is an absolute trooper, a key dodge saved her from death and meant she just slaughtered everyone else) ran around the map cleaning up the units on low HP that had survived the lightning onsalught.

I had Archibald sat up near the steps to the final house to kill anything that managed to get through.

I'm not kidding when I say I burned *everything* to do it though. I ran through 10+ Ranged HP recovery pellets and 3 Large Ranged HP recovery pellets fueling the lightning machine.

Rarely has a game ever given me such a satisfying map to solve. That was absolutely amazing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So what's the deal with recruiting Jens? I have the requisite Morality since I have Julio, Narve, and Hossabarra. I've read there's a requirement regarding upgrades, but I've farmed up quite a few and I've read of people getting them in Ch5. Is the source I'm looking at wrong?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 14, 2022

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Echophonic posted:

So what's the deal with recruiting Jens? I have the requisite Morality since I have Julio, Narve, and Hossabarra. I've read there's a requirement regarding upgrades, but I've farmed up quite a few and I've read of people getting them in Ch5. Is the source I'm looking at wrong?

Jens needs 450 Morality. The others you listed have lower requirements for that stat.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Rarely has a game ever given me such a satisfying map to solve. That was absolutely amazing.

Hell yeah, nice. And yeah that fight is so good.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Mustard Iceman posted:

Jens needs 450 Morality. The others you listed have lower requirements for that stat.

Ah, the site I was looking at was wrong. I found another with 450, so that's probably the issue. Little surprising I'm not at 450 yet, I've been going pretty heavy on Morality.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I don’t think there was even a story battle in my Chapter XII, which was very jarring. Then I got to XIII and they made me choose from three possibilities instead of two which was very rude of them! I’m pretty sure I didn’t pick the ideal route, I decided to sneak in and blow up the boat. But I had to kill Frederica’s two rear end in a top hat half-siblings and she seemed bummed out. Makes me wonder if there’s a route where they don’t die, probably the bridge one.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Chapter 12 (my chapter 11 was "The Bitter End," for reference): It's extremely obvious coming from a world where we know that rock salt is a thing that that's what got Dragan killed, I really hope someone on team Wolffort connects the dots here soon.

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011

Taear posted:

There is a way to keep all three, if you make certain specific choices (which are mostly the standard "good guy" choices with one exception), then you unlock a fourth option at that split point.

willing to settle fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 14, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Has anyone talked about how dumb the Scales of Conviction are?
"Should we do the really dumb, obviously evil thing that will immediately backfire, or fight for righteousness? You, Serenoa, as the sole lord of the Demesne are the only one who can make this choice."
"I shall defer this choice to 7 people, and I will not even get a vote!" :downs:

Meanwhile, the player doesn't even get a choice to not meddle in the Salt Smuggling plot. Benedict even warns Serenoa to not meddle with it, but he dives right in without even a choice.

I like the combat, but the setup of the plot decision tree is bad writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It would’ve been pretty messed up if they had just said no immediately after getting a bunch of money and food from Sorsley.

Anyway the three choices I just had to choose from had one option that sucked and two that could have been good, so they aren’t all super obvious like that.