Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Skeleton Mom posted:

sevens is the only yugioh anime that doesn't have any significant low points. it's just a consistently good time from start to finish. please consider it

I thought the start of season 2 was super boring and I fell of the show.

Dabir posted:

yeah, the second half of 5Ds

And also the first half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I thought the start of season 2 was super boring and I fell of the show.

And also the first half.

don't recall the first half being loving boring and wasting everyone's goddamn time for weeks at a stretch OP

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its got motorbikes, corrupt duel cops and Jack Atlas is there! A lot of similarites with 5Ds imo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Its got motorbikes, corrupt duel cops and Jack Atlas is there! A lot of similarites with 5Ds imo.

I assume the whole caste system from that arc was basically an expansion on the divide between Satellite and the rest of the city in the original show, unless there’s a more direct parallel in the second half (it’s been a while since I saw 5Ds)

Speaking of I forget, was there some equivalent to Roger and the council that governed the city in 5Ds or was that purely an Arc V invention?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Skeleton Mom posted:

sevens is the only yugioh anime that doesn't have any significant low points. it's just a consistently good time from start to finish. please consider it

It also doesn't have anywhere near the highs of any of hte other shows. It's just kind of okay the whole time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Roa and Yuga rematch was pretty sick tbh.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It also doesn't have anywhere near the highs of any of hte other shows. It's just kind of okay the whole time.

It has several highs but they're less on the card games and more on the character writing side, which is absolutely fine for me in a franchise that has always been horrible at keeping characters relevant to the story beyond the protagonist and rival. Sevens has accomplished what no other YGO show ever has there in having a cast that's enjoyable and consistently relevant, with character arcs of their own at that.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The Roa and Yuga rematch was pretty sick tbh.

Agreed.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

It has several highs but they're less on the card games and more on the character writing side,

In a franchise that often ties not only the duels but the archetypes and cards of the characters to the characters themselves and their arcs that kind of sucks! Instead of a fun card game show that's tying everything together through this goofy focus it feels secondary to the thing that makes the franchise what it is so you get mediocre to okay character writing and a boring version of what made the franchise what it was and they feel like.

It's fine but no, it doesn't even do the character stuff as well as earlier stuff. Nothing is as good as the Jack/Carly stuff in S1 of 5Ds. Hell, this isn't even as good as Yuya drilling down on his convictions during his final duel with Jack where he's making the connections between his world view and Jack's.

Sevens just feels like...basically every other card game anime and like its lost what made YGO it's incredibly weird self.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

watching episode 90 and seeing payoff for plot points set up since the introductory scene of episode 1, i'm prepared to say sevens is at the bare minimum more thoughtfully constructed than any past ygo anime. could you imagine if any of the stuff from arc-v season 1 had a satisfying resolution at the end of season 3???

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

Zexal and Arc-V were both shows like 5D's where a great chunk of it was good and the rest wasn't. :v:

Ehhhh, I'm not sure I'd say any part of either show was actually good. Those shows were pretty dire.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Skeleton Mom posted:

watching episode 90 and seeing payoff for plot points set up since the introductory scene of episode 1, i'm prepared to say sevens is at the bare minimum more thoughtfully constructed than any past ygo anime. could you imagine if any of the stuff from arc-v season 1 had a satisfying resolution at the end of season 3???

sentences that make you have a long, bitter sigh that takes about 14 episodes to wrap up and that no one is capable of stopping

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lemme ask this another way.

What're Sevens' strengths and weaknesses, what is it's tone like, what is it's cast like, how good are the duels.

If it helps you answer, my bar for these things are I like the tone, cast and duels of 5D's part 1 and Arc-V part 1 a lot.

Also how hard is it to get used to this Rush Duel gimmick.

Skeleton Mom posted:

GX didn't have any significant low points!

I guess the first half of season 2 was really boring.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

King of Solomon posted:

Ehhhh, I'm not sure I'd say any part of either show was actually good. Those shows were pretty dire.

The first 50ish episodes of Arc-V is peak yugioh to me and Zexal starts off as a decent show that only gets better as it progresses.

MJeff posted:

GX didn't have any significant low points!

I guess the first half of season 2 was really boring.

The 'low' point of GX to me is season four being obviously rushed and incomplete so they could hurry up and debut 5D's/Synchros. Still an okay season though.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
My only issues with season 4 is that we didn't get more of it (because, yeah, it was pretty rushed). Judai was at his best during that part of the show, I thought. Wish we could've seen more of him and his snarky sidekick Yubel.

And the duels with Darkness and Yugi slapped, obviously. Judai vs. Yugi is probably theeeeee....second best? Final duel.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

The first 50ish episodes of Arc-V is peak yugioh to me and Zexal starts off as a decent show that only gets better as it progresses.

Yeah, I dunno. All I can really say is I generally feel like Arc-V was a mediocre show that took a quality nosedive and Zexal was a bad show that only got worse. I didn't like any part of either show, they were just bad television.

MJeff posted:

What're Sevens' strengths and weaknesses, what is it's tone like, what is it's cast like, how good are the duels.

If it helps you answer, my bar for these things are I like the tone, cast and duels of 5D's part 1 and Arc-V part 1 a lot.

Sevens is a fun slice of life comedy with good characters. Unfortunately, it is allergic to real stakes - and doesn't get anything approaching stakes until the final arc of the show - and it's held back by the fact that Rush Duels just aren't interesting. Rush duels are very simple, so you adjust to the rules pretty quickly, but the show has zero duels that are good for any reason related to the card game being played. The duels can be good for character or story beats, but NEVER the actual cards.

I think it's a very worthwhile show to watch, just don't expect to enjoy the duels.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I thought things got a little more interesting once they added Maximums to the mix but yeah, the duels in Sevens are unfortunately the weakest part of the show (which is a slight problem since that’s what it’s supposed to be advertising).

If you can get past that however it’s a fun comedy focused show with a great cast (and unlike a lot of previous seasons every character is a pretty competent duelist from start to finish including the girls and nobody really gets sidelined or downgraded to purely being a cheerleader), the fact it had a shorter runtime than previous seasons (like I said, we’ve only got two episodes left at most now) probably wound up working out in its favor as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 14, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like early season 4 of GX where every character gets one last focus episode but after that its got kind of a weird vibe that feels off to me. Same with late season 3 but I like Yubel more than Nightshroud.

Anyway in regards to Sevens I think it is a pretty ok show. The cast is a bunch of enjoyable goofs but they're not like super interesting themselves and although it's cool that it balances a huge cast pretty well and keeps a lot of characters around and relevant the size means none of them get like a whole lot of focus. I mentioned earlier that Roa and Yuga had a really good rematch a few episodes ago but it's kinda weakened by it being 70 eps since their last duel and the rival vibes aren't super strong. Like Roa has always been around and kinda important but not important enough for his relationship with Yuga to feel super developed so it's not as cool as it coulda been.

Duels wise I think some of the climactic duels are better than people are giving them credit for but the show relies so much on 1 episode games and even the series with the best duels often don't get to do much when they've only got 4 turns for an entire fight. So even some of the better duels feel pretty basic.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ojamanjoume

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
It's amazing how no one has mentioned VRAINs in all of this. Did it really just suck and just novedived in quality from there.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

PowerBeard posted:

It's amazing how no one has mentioned VRAINs in all of this. Did it really just suck and just novedived in quality from there.

Some people have stronger opinions on the show than I do, but in my opinion VRAINS was a show with the potential to be great, but between production issues, an early cancelation, and a fair amount of bad choices wound up being fairly middling. It's not really relevant to the conversation, despite having a few incredible moments.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's kindof relevant I feel in that it ended up being the last straw for a show that was aimed at young children but attempting to promote a game that had become too complex to appeal to them. The move to Rush makes a lot of sense in that context. Think they've really struggled to identify their target audience.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's kindof relevant I feel in that it ended up being the last straw for a show that was aimed at young children but attempting to promote a game that had become too complex to appeal to them. The move to Rush makes a lot of sense in that context. Think they've really struggled to identify their target audience.

Oh definitely, VRAINS duels often suffered from the long combos that are necessary to set up even basic boards in modern yugioh. It absolutely makes sense to move to a simpler game for the anime after that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, do we know if the new series Go Rush is supposed to be introducing any new gimmicks to the game or is it more or less sticking to the Rush Duel format (essentially being the GX to Sevens’ Duel Monsters)?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MJeff posted:

SEVENS' main strength is the cast really. If you meet a character, you can be sure they'll reappear every so often, no one is forgotten, no one's just a random duelist of the week. Every character that's plot-important sticks around too and becomes part of the secondary cast with their own arcs and cool moments. The main protagonist cast is, unlike every previous YGO show, consistently strong and competent, and never devolve to becoming the protagonist's cheerleaders (yes, even the token female character!). On the other hand, the protagonist himself is significantly less plot armoured than any other to date, Yuga actually has an interesting win/loss record even against his friends (Luke, on the other hand, wins every time, it gets a bit boring) which makes watching him play more fun than just having someone that will win 100% of the time.

The comedy's also pretty good and consistent, with a focus on the sheer absurdity of the situations the cast finds themselves in. The plot is somewhat thin but the series is consistent about it, with the same plot threads hanging over the show from the beginning to the (soon to come) end. On the topic of consistency, the quality of the show overall is, with no harsh dips like YGO so often has.

Weaknesses-wise, well, it's not one for me but I know it's one for a lot, the series is a LOT less "the world's about to end" than every previous show. The stakes tend to be low and personal rather than world-ending, and the series has far more fun just playing card games instead of deciding who lives or dies by the card. It's an improvement if you ask me, but well, it's not the tone you'd expect in YGO (but every time YGO tries to force it it fails horribly, see Arc-V). The duels are fast and can feel unimpressive in comparison to previous series duels, though from my experience that's consistent with how Rush Duels work, and the actual important clashes tend to at least have strong dramatic moments (Yuuou's "Fusion" being endlessly repeated after his first duel with Yuga will never leave my mind). One of the protagonists (Luke) wins, at all times, regardless of whether he deserves it or not, and his personality can go from funny to grating, though in fairness he's seen as cringe even in-universe, though I feel overall Luke isn't terrible. Also for some reason the perfectly decent second ending tends to be replaced by some weird comedian in gold briefs, I have no idea what's up with that.

Overall, I'd say SEVENS is one of the strongest offerings YGO has ever had, with consistent writing and characterization no other show has had and likely will have, and no shark-jumping moments which YGO loves far too dearly (why did you have to ruin 5D's and Arc-V, I was enjoying those!). It does have weak points and it may not reach stupidly epic highs like some other shows, but it's consistently good to great, unlike, say, VRAINS which was consistently middling with few genuinely good moments.

King of Solomon posted:

Some people have stronger opinions on the show than I do, but in my opinion VRAINS was a show with the potential to be great, but between production issues, an early cancelation, and a fair amount of bad choices wound up being fairly middling. It's not really relevant to the conversation, despite having a few incredible moments.

That's how I feel about the show too, which is sad because it had a lot of things that were, on paper, very interesting (a protagonist that rejects friendship and uses cards entirely as a tool for revenge is so against the norm that it should've been a brand new experience for the franchise in and of itself) but ultimately it just wastes all that good will and, while never awful, also very rarely rises from middling. And the last arc, which felt like it could finally leave that behind, got cut early and ended up rushed. What a waste.

Larryb posted:

I forget, do we know if the new series Go Rush is supposed to be introducing any new gimmicks to the game or is it more or less sticking to the Rush Duel format (essentially being the GX to Sevens’ Duel Monsters)?

Other than a new type, no, we don't know if it's introducing anything new. I imagine it will eventually, because this is YGO and it needs to get more and more complex even in the format specifically made to be simple because YGO is a horrible mess of a game, but at least at the beginning it seems like it'll start with Rush Duels as we know them.

Blaze Dragon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 14, 2022

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dabir posted:

Ojamanjoume

Ojamanjoume-san da!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Weaknesses-wise, well, it's not one for me but I know it's one for a lot, the series is a LOT less "the world's about to end" than every previous show. The stakes tend to be low and personal rather than world-ending, and the series has far more fun just playing card games instead of deciding who lives or dies by the card. It's an improvement if you ask me, but well, it's not the tone you'd expect in YGO (but every time YGO tries to force it it fails horribly, see Arc-V). The duels are fast and can feel unimpressive in comparison to previous series duels, though from my experience that's consistent with how Rush Duels work, and the actual important clashes tend to at least have strong dramatic moments (Yuuou's "Fusion" being endlessly repeated after his first duel with Yuga will never leave my mind). One of the protagonists (Luke) wins, at all times, regardless of whether he deserves it or not, and his personality can go from funny to grating, though in fairness he's seen as cringe even in-universe, though I feel overall Luke isn't terrible. Also for some reason the perfectly decent second ending tends to be replaced by some weird comedian in gold briefs, I have no idea what's up with that.

See, the problem isn't necessarily that the stakes aren't world-ending, it's that they're frequently nonexistent. The most the show usually has is that the arc villain really wants to erase Rush Duels, which was fine for the first arc, but when you have three in a row, it's kinda frustrating. Often there isn't even a personal stake involved, it's just about the continued existence of rush duels. At least the Neil arc had Kaizo's memory on the line, but like...that's it. Until the final arc where Goha Yuuga starts erasing memories, the show effectively has no stakes at all, ever.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Finally SEVENS has surpassed 5D's' card games on motorcycles in the stupidly awesome category and if that's not enough to tell you this show is excellent I'm not sure what will. Card games on giant robots! ON THE MOON!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

VRAINS is a show that started off with a ton of issues and only got worse from there. It had a ton of hype going into it and had all the potential in the world and just...failed on every account to take advantage of any of it. It was so bad it didn't even get a manga adaptation! It is, in my opinion, easily the worst of the Yugioh animes. It got really good in season three though!...which was a shorter season because they were ready to cut their losses and move onto SEVENS and Rush.

VRAINS is also like, very dark. Like incredibly so. It is the darkest Yugioh series to date, which supposedly hurt it a lot in the ratings and helped push the shift to a more light-hearted series with SEVENS. This is made worse by the fact that like, there's no downtime in the series and no real filler duels. Almost every single duel is a super important everything-is-at-stake fight and no one ever gets a chance to just rest and just breathe and it gets exhausting to watch.

It ALSO makes the crime of having the cards themselves not be important to the show like, at all. You could cut the cards from VRAINS and it wouldn't even matter. It's really, really notable that VRAINS is the only Yugioh series to not feature a tournament arc of any sort, which should say a lot on it's own.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sky Striker manga?
https://twitter.com/J_BYYX/status/1504055727178010624

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

B-but World Legacy... :negative:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Looks like they're just going to be a single part of it.

https://ygorganization.com/new-v-jump-manga-announced/

Also new Sky Striker support.

https://ygorganization.com/aileronmusk/

This goddamn deck is never going to die... :negative:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You could probably tell the entire Sky Striker story in a single pilot chapter so it makes some sense to lead with it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vandar posted:

This goddamn deck is never going to die... :negative:

Waifubucks are a powerful force

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, did that Sevens manga about Luke they announced a while back start/get translated yet? If so, how is it?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, did that Sevens manga about Luke they announced a while back start/get translated yet? If so, how is it?

Start, it started, but it doesn't seem to be translated at all. That said, Luke as the protagonist feels like too much Luke, even in the series he edges between funny and intolerable.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's been out for like a year and a half.

Structures is still going strong too.

NO MANGA FOR LOSER VRAINS EVER THOUGH.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Vandar posted:

It's been out for like a year and a half.

Structures is still going strong too.

NO MANGA FOR LOSER VRAINS EVER THOUGH.

Has Structures been translated by anyone then (and is it any good)?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Larryb posted:

Has Structures been translated by anyone then (and is it any good)?

Structures is being translated but it's really slow going. I think it's several chapters behind now?

I kept up with it for a while and it's pretty fun, it's neat seeing IRL archetypes get a time in the spotlight.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Reading the card lore manga like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MorningMoon posted:

Reading the card lore manga like