Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Zil posted:

The one secret trick the IRS doesn't want you to know about! :ssh:

It is also the one sure way to get a bank/FBI to investigate you for financial crimes, but thats besides the point

indeed, this is why you should make these deposits for $9,998

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You know it's possible to adjust the playback speed on videos, right? It's totally possible to listen at 1.5x speed or higher and still follow along and have it not sound chipmunky.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I watch videos of a dude solving really hard sudokus that take an hour+, the nft video was easy

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You know it's possible to adjust the playback speed on videos, right? It's totally possible to listen at 1.5x speed or higher and still follow along and have it not sound chipmunky.

The pacing on that video is already so fast that it almost made me nauseous lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I like long videos, if there's something cool that I am enjoying watching I'd rather have more of it than less

did red letter media really popularize the current thing of long video essays?

I feel like it was the first big popular video where it was just "a guy talking for 90 minutes" that wasn't an actual documentary that I can remember on YT

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Booyah- posted:

your only option is to use a wallet managing middleware tool (like metamask) that provides a feature to hide them from view. you can't actually interact to move or send them anywhere because that exposes you to the code (and generally costs money in gas and transaction fees anyway)

there are massive points of failure everywhere in the system, it's kind of shocking the more you look
Also your wallet UI needs to separate a local hide function from the actual smart contract functions or else you get that dumb OpenSea issue where your inbox had a contract with the options "Accept" "Decline" "Hide" or "Ignore" and ignore is the thing that makes it disappear in your wallet and all the rest steal your apes.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I generally don't like video essays and prefer to read the material that can be presented that way, but Line Goes Up is really well done and pretty captivating. It's also a bunch of delineated 20 minute segments because it covers a lot of topics, so you could also just start in the middle after the explanation of blockchains and NFTs and watch the parts about play-to-earn, DAOs, and the other insane poo poo that is out there.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

zedprime posted:

Also your wallet UI needs to separate a local hide function from the actual smart contract functions or else you get that dumb OpenSea issue where your inbox had a contract with the options "Accept" "Decline" "Hide" or "Ignore" and ignore is the thing that makes it disappear in your wallet and all the rest steal your apes.

absolutely incredible

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

I like long videos, if there's something cool that I am enjoying watching I'd rather have more of it than less

I feel like it was the first big popular video where it was just "a guy talking for 90 minutes" that wasn't an actual documentary that I can remember on YT

No, RLM were definitely pioneers in the long form media criticism videos, but there weren't a lot of people doing it for about ten years after their Phantom Menace video went up.

I think the real cause was a shift in the algorithm that made YouTube promote longer content. These days it seems like everyone is padding their videos to make them longer because that's what the algorithm demands.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Also pre plinkett TPM review 10 minutes was the limit most channels were allowed to upload, so rather than the meta being to stretch as long as possible for more ad bucks, it was talk as fast as possible to fit it all in under 10 minutes.

It’s the reason older plinkett reviews were in multiple parts. It wasn’t artistic choice.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

while people of course should follow the law, the IRS is limited in its ability to chase down crypto randos while it works through warehouses full of post-COVID submissions

The tax man will get his due though, if someone tattles on you for mining a butt and not disclosing it, the IRS will eventually find you, and they will assess late fees and penalties backdated to when the butt was mined. So, that couple thousand dollars worth of undeclared cryptosporidium can turn into a massive diarrhea river of poo poo in the form of tens of thousands of dollars in late fees and penalties, if they feel like it.

The people who work for the IRS take great joy in taking your money, especially if you tried to hide that money from them.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 12, 2022

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Stefan Prodan posted:

Loose Change strikes me as the first long video essay to really take off on the internet, and that's when it had to first be distributed by CD-RW before getting picked up by Napster uploaders. Shame it was basically the match to the fuse of all our current conspiratorial insanity, meshing perfectly with the age old gold bugs who now shill crypto.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

I watch videos of a dude solving really hard sudokus that take an hour+, the nft video was easy

This guy is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKf9aUIxdb4

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg852hLCdu4

Remember when you paid like... $12 in 2010 to play Minecraft's alpha versions? These idiots paid $12,000 to "play" something less fully featured than the Minecraft alpha versions, with a very dubious crossover that definitely was not properly licenced from IPMS.

Welcome to the Internet of poo poo.

E: Also, after they opened up their "Alpha 2" a few days ago and got a bunch of rubes to buy in, they stopped accepting anyone into their "Creator program" which means they took $12k from a bunch of idiots so that those idiots could create user generated content in their little plots of land like a shittier second life, and then removed the key feature that they're pitching "create user generated content in their little plots of land like a shittier second life".

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 12, 2022

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Yup, that's the one

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

The pacing on that video is already so fast that it almost made me nauseous lol
Never has the phrase been more true than in cryptocurrency: there's a lot to unpack here

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I slow everything down, so they sound drunk.

no_tears
Dec 20, 2020

Bing Bong
Can I claim emotional loss on my 1099-MISC for stress over buttcoin not only going up?

drk
Jan 16, 2005
only if you have at least $600 in emotional losses

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Turns out all you have to do to turn Goons into salt shakeup is say you think video essays are boring as gently caress

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Razorwired posted:

Turns out all you have to do to turn Goons into salt shakeup is say you think video essays are boring as gently caress

That's silly. I know they're boring.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anyone need a fireproof buttwallet?

https://www.amazon.com/Billfodl-Private-Key-Backup/dp/B07BS632RR/

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Strong Sauce posted:

there is an hour+ video about harry potter (and why its bad), and also a 3 hour, 33 minute 33 second video about deus ex human revolution. both are very entertaining to watch. you don't have to watch the whole thing in one sitting dawg

There is only one way to consume media!!!!!!!!!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The pivot to video apparently had people decide they actually want to spend four times as much time watching some gently caress talk about what they could just write down for Content

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So, cool and good YouTube replacement app Vanced is getting killed by Google. They've been running it for years no problem, so what changed?

Well.

https://twitter.com/aseldesu/status/1503117413679869952

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
havent heard of Vanced before, then again i'm massively weird and dont use my phone for all those unhealthy internet addictive things.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dabir posted:

So, cool and good YouTube replacement app Vanced is getting killed by Google. They've been running it for years no problem, so what changed?

Well.

https://twitter.com/aseldesu/status/1503117413679869952

That was a joke tweet, going by the one after it saying "make sure to screenshot". Well, then again you can never tell. Either way it went over like a lead balloon and I guess it's off to NewPipe.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

They actually minted one apparently, so it looks to me like less a joke and more a """joke""". Either way, great job giving Google the excuse they needed.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.
There's an 8 hour video going in depth of Pokemon Omega Ruby (and Pokemon in general).

But at least they're not buttcoins. Theyre tolerable.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Please attach your key and any relevant bank accounts and passwords, so we can custom engrave them in the wallet.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
This should be interesting. https://gizmodo.com/bitcoin-atms-declared-illegal-in-uk-by-financial-regula-1848639960

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
link

quote:

Alexandre Dreyfus, the CEO and founder of fan token site Socios, has been accused of withholding payments in order to maintain the price of Chiliz (CHZ), the cryptocurrency used by the Socios community, according to a report from Off the Pitch.

quote:

His reason for not paying out advisors? An internal message from Dreyfus viewed by Off the Pitch indicates Dreyfus didn’t want the value of Chiliz to tank. “We also need to protect the investors,” Dreyfus writes in the screenshotted message. “When you give free tokens, people can sell at any price — it doesn't matter for them.” He then went on to note that the “real investors” who bought Chiliz could be losing money as a result of advisors selling off the currency.
Hmm, it's almost like the token and the value don't actually exist.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Love the implicit distinction between "real investors" who act in ways that make him money, versus those who don't.

Come invest in my free market absent of regulations! No, no, not like that.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I have something to say.

Hearing System of a Down's song "Sugar" as the soundtrack to a Dragonball Z anime music video all the way to seeing Serj Tankian shilling NFTs basically is a representation of how the world has evolved over the course of my life to date.

Thank you for listening.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Prurient Squid posted:

Serj Tankian shilling NFTs

of all the ways to find this out :wtc:

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

ynohtna posted:

Love the implicit distinction between "real investors" who act in ways that make him money, versus those who don't.

Come invest in my free market absent of regulations! No, no, not like that.

But hey if we increase supply all day, price goes up? Lol.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

SA continues to be the only news source worth anything lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

the first two albums i bought for myself when i started working were toxicity and hybrid theory, and now serj and mike shinoda are both big on nfts, and chester bennington is probably rolling in his grave

poo poo sucks man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

link

Hmm, it's almost like the token and the value don't actually exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAKOWcs8w54&t=76s