Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
no, i mean that's possible but it's not what i'm talking about.

i'm saying if both win their seats & libs lose the election (with morrison still as leader), then the leadership contest will almost certainly be frydenberg/dutton (unless one loses their seat). whoever wins that would come down to the balance within the party after losing a bunch of seats, but dutton's probably more likely

but if there's a challenge before the election i'm speculating it could end up being from someone else, with the scenario being that frydenberg & dutton don't want to damage their future ambitions but desperate backbenchers convince someone else to go for it, but that's just wild speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
People don't like scomo but it's nothing on the public opinion of potato man

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Dutton is good because when he smiles you can literally feel your skin up and crawl off, instead of just being mildly uncomfortable watching a standard lib mimic human emotion.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Deflection and blame shifting: How Scott Morrison responded to a national emergency: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gs_PlfI0tw

tl;dw:
gently caress Mr Potato Head.
gently caress the PM for waiting a week for an annoucnable.
gently caress the PM for ignoring climate change.
gently caress the PM for blaming labor labor labor.
gently caress the PM for not accepting responsibility AND blaming the ADF.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 13, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1502955635293376513

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1502957039919673346

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1502956300744855555

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1502956121555841024

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1502955940982624256

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I am now taking nominees for creating a legitimate election edition thread.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Been a while since I could bring myself to look at an aus poll, but these numbers are currently pretty good ALP's way right?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I heard the last time a poll had Labor primary vote above 40 was when Rudd was PM.

Is this true?

lih
May 15, 2013

albanese being equal on preferred pm (he was briefly ahead in jan/feb 2020 with the bushfires) is pretty big, that skews heavily to incumbents and shorten never got close to turnbull or morrison on that (except for a single poll immediately after morrison became pm)

and no there's been a fair few polls with labor primary vote at 41% since rudd, this is the fourth newspoll to have that figure this year, and there was the occasional one with that figure under shorten (even back in 2015 before the polls were definitely broken in the lead up to the 2019 election)

lih fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 13, 2022

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

The Australian Democrats will form government before Labor.

:toxx:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This has happened before, and Labor has a reputation for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for a reason. Usually by complete inaction while the Liberals actually try. We'll see how it goes, though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This has happened before, and Labor has a reputation for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for a reason. Usually by complete inaction while the Liberals actually try. We'll see how it goes, though.

I mean if it's Morrison trying, well that's going to go well for pretty much everyone but the libs. But yeah ALP rarely seem to actually want to win elections.

lih
May 15, 2013

at the very least, the poll numbers are a fair bit better than they were for labor in 2019 and there are much more direct & obvious reasons why the government would really be that unpopular, rather than just "they barely won the last election and never really seemed to be actively popular"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/theheraldsun/status/1502524795757293570

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Gonna go out on a limb and suggest this account was written by an ex cop?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Are people not aware what a bush ranger was? He wore a suit of 'bullet proof' armour, for what? Fashion!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
First they cancel ghengis Kahn and now our Ned? Political correctness gone mad imo

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Konomex posted:

Are people not aware what a bush ranger was? He wore a suit of 'bullet proof' armour, for what? Fashion!

he was just a larrikin who loved his mum

and shooting cops

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Animal Friend posted:

The Australian Democrats will form government before Labor.

:toxx:

Oh this is your re-reg?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
https://twitter.com/TamePunk/status/1502896173744795655?s=20&t=KIKQVIVOdaaYUh5aGYUm9w

Amazing.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

:allears:

Bitterly disappointed to wake up to yet another day where Palmer hasn't succumbed to covid.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

i was never a fan of shane warne when he was alive. but his death, complete with crazy diets and last-minute vegemite product placement, has convinced me that as a cohesive whole, the man's life was legendary

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

the adoration of ned kelly by white australia is funny because in every other way they're such screaming babies about crime

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

the adoration of ned kelly by white australia is funny because in every other way they're such screaming babies about crime

Who are these people that adore, let alone actually think about, Ned Kelly.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

JBP posted:

parkes

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

The Peter Carey novel was pretty good, maybe people thought it was actually true

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

First they cancel ghengis Kahn and now our Ned? Political correctness gone mad imo

TIL that Canadian hero Sir Isaac Brock (killed some Yanks in 1812) was friends with a Captain Thomas Fremantle. Thomas's son, Admiral Sir Charles Howe Fremantle, sailed some ships up the Swan River to help Lt Gov Stirling found Perth and Western Australia. If that's not enough of a crime, consider:

quote:

In April 1826 Fremantle was charged with raping a 15-year-old girl. His family is said to have paid off witnesses and leant on the judiciary to avoid scandal.

So cancel Fremantle, IMO. Or all of WA, whatever.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

JBP posted:

The 2/3s of the caravan and camping show patrons with moron Labe car stickers

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There's another anti-vax rally in Brisbane happening right now, literally tens of people outside parliament, with some 'holistic healing' guy setting up a stage & speakers.
Diverse mix of young dreadlocks, boomers with 'end the mandate' signs and the odd PUP t-shirt.

It's also first day back on QUT campus after the floods so the place is already packed with students.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

eXXon posted:

So cancel Fremantle, IMO.

Agreed. Also since the footy team relocated, they should rename from Fremantle, to the Cockburn Dockers
They could be known as the Cockers

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

I am now taking nominees for creating a legitimate election edition thread.

For the SA election

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

birdstrike posted:

For the SA election

:hfive:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If you want.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I vote anidav in the SA election. His positivity in the face of incredible adversity (modding SA posters) is an inspiration

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

That cat has the biggest ‘gently caress my life expression’ on its face.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

dr_rat posted:

Been a while since I could bring myself to look at an aus poll, but these numbers are currently pretty good ALP's way right?

When "the polls got it wrong" in 2019 and Labor lost, they led the Liberals by only 2 points and had been trending downward for the past six months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opini...y_preferred.svg

Right now they lead the Liberals by 10 points and have been trending up for eight months.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opini...y_preferred.svg

There's a limit to what can be explained away by margins of error and shy Tories. And anything can happen between now and election day but it's hard to imagine anything that wouldn't be a hit to the incumbent.

edit - Labor currently has about the same 2PP lead that Tony Abbott did a few months before the 2013 election (he dipped a little going into it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Australian_federal_election#Opinion_polls

freebooter fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 14, 2022

lih
May 15, 2013

the 2019 error was due to herding (where the polling companies all got results they thought were outliers and panicked to tweak their data until it looked like they thought it should) so hopefully they'll have learned their lesson this time. there's definitely more variation in the polls despite a clear trend favouring labor more than last time. essential and resolve have been less favourable to labor (but resolve aren't doing TPP for stupid reasons so you have to look up bonham or someone like that interpreting what it actually means) so the danger would be they're spot on & things are still very close, and newspoll / morgan are totally off.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

scomos saved the scooner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I think while national polls are useful, unless there is genuinely a big swing (which have historically mostly been needed for actual changes of govt) it comes down to individual marginal seats, and sometimes the amount of pork or national messaging actually intended for relatively small groups of voters in marginal seats is not that visible in the national media.

This is possibly why the LNP is more concerned about these independents in rich suburbs - because their polling is telling them enough people won’t vote Labour or Greens in those seats - ergo safe - but the indies are more of an X factor.

I hope in Greens circles they have some long term strategy aimed at those seats because there seems to be little space in high level policy goals between some of the independents and the Greens, especially as the Greens have arguably moved more towards the mainstream in terms of policy while the two majors have actually moved away because of the marginal battlegrounds and Murdoch dominated media. I also wonder if the the Greens branding is more of a liability than an asset for their actual policy platform now.