Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

too many movies keep getting darker and grittier than the last in this gratuitous way and then the one time it'd makes sense based on the surrounding franchise context, the opposite happens

is what I'd post if the show ends up terrible for this reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

When does Jar-Jar get a series

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Brawnfire posted:

I demand a six hour adaptation of Jar Jar's post-Empire homeless clown days.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Chow said the focus is on how Obi-Wan goes from depressed and hopeless post-ROTS at the start of this and how he becomes a zen master in time for ANH, so I'm more inclined to go with that than typical internet anti-Kennedy chuddery.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Unironically would watch this.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Eh. In the interview linked, they make it seem more like Obi-Wan is the one who starts bleak, broken, and faithless, and becomes hopeful over the series. Which makes sense, transitioning him from the dark place of ROTS to being ready for the Hope Luke represents in ANH.

I’m not saying it’s good or will work. How could I, haven’t not seen it? But maybe there’s a bit of overreacting over a tweet about an interview when the show hasn’t even come out yet? The state of the Galaxy glimpsed in the trailer sure doesn’t seem happy go lucky.

Same. While I’m skeptical about Kathleen, it’s ridiculous to decry her over:
1: an unseen trashed script
2: the unseen end result

If it’s bad, then we can blame her.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yikes.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what Obi-Wan even has to be hopeful about, since Luke was a useless failure and the sith can just resurrect themselves whenever they feel like it.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
"Trust in The Force. Do not return to the Temple…that time has past. And our future is uncertain. We will each be challenged. Our trust. Our faith. Our friendships. But we must persevere. And in time, a new hope will emerge. May the Force be with you, always."

Is his final message to the survivors of Order 66. It sounds pretty optimistic despite his situation, and he seemed pretty secure in his purpose in Rebels. There's no real reason he needs to be morose during this period.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Asgerd posted:

I'm not sure what Obi-Wan even has to be hopeful about, since Luke was a useless failure and the sith can just resurrect themselves whenever they feel like it.

Maybe he shouldn't have allowed himself to be killed in order to do precisely gently caress all as a ghost.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Season 2 episode 1 of Mando is my favourite of the bunch, but season 2 episode 7 is hands down the best episode of the whole show.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Ravel posted:

"Trust in The Force. Do not return to the Temple…that time has past. And our future is uncertain. We will each be challenged. Our trust. Our faith. Our friendships. But we must persevere. And in time, a new hope will emerge. May the Force be with you, always."

Is his final message to the survivors of Order 66. It sounds pretty optimistic despite his situation, and he seemed pretty secure in his purpose in Rebels. There's no real reason he needs to be morose during this period.

Rebels takes place maybe 3-5 years before Rogue One/A New Hope, so Obi-wan has had a good 15 odd years to process stuff and get his Zen on straight.

On a non-TV topic, I'm currently reading Zahn Thrawn Ascendancy trilogy. The books are interesting in that they're doing a really good job of showcasing Thrawn as a villain even though he's supposed to be the hero of the series. He's not cartoonishly evil or anything and he's still the brilliant master of war, but one weakness he has is that he's bad at politics. And you kind of understand that the reason he's bad at politics is that politics requires you to deal with individual people as, well, people. To Thrawn other people are assets to deploy or problems to overcome.

He goes through the forms of relationships, of politeness and etiquette, but it strikes that the reason he stays in the military arena and studies that art is that at a fundamental level he lacks genuine empathy for and connections with others around him.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

stev posted:

I demand a six hour adaptation of Jar Jar's post-Empire homeless clown days.

Finally get to see that adaptation of The Day the Clown Cried

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

stev posted:

Maybe he shouldn't have allowed himself to be killed in order to do precisely gently caress all as a ghost.

What? He ghost-stalks Luke throughout the OT, guiding him to destroy the Death Star and becoming a Jedi, then revealing to Luke that Leia is his sister. Did you watch the movies?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAptbDY4sUM

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The United States posted:

Turns out ObiWan spent his time on Tattooine murdering hundreds of Tuskens so they might kinda be at odds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrasoJtiunU&t=656s

I loving loved (and still own) this dumb game. I clearly remember a friend of mine sabering Tuskens left and right while screeching "THEY'RE ANIMALS!!!! AND I SLAUGHTERED THEM LIKE ANIMALS!!!!" over and over.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Trump posted:

Kathleen Kennedy can go gently caress herself
why

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I loving loved (and still own) this dumb game. I clearly remember a friend of mine sabering Tuskens left and right while screeching "THEY'RE ANIMALS!!!! AND I SLAUGHTERED THEM LIKE ANIMALS!!!!" over and over.
:discourse:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Star Wars fans have a simmering hatred of women that was exacerbated when Kennedy was promoted and they blame her for everything they don't like, despite the fact that Lucasfilm creatives (mostly men) still call the shots.

See also how they despise Rey and mistakenly call her a "Mary Sue" even though she follows the exact same arc as Luke

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hazo posted:

Star Wars fans have a simmering hatred of women that was exacerbated when Kennedy was promoted and they blame her for everything they don't like, despite the fact that Lucasfilm creatives (mostly men) still call the shots.

See also how they despise Rey and mistakenly call her a "Mary Sue" even though she follows the exact same arc as Luke

On a rewatch, she definitely starts out way more powerful than Luke and needs basically no training to be where he's at after meeting Yoda. I think that's just because JJ wanted to rush things and the film is very sloppy either way.

But yeah, there's still an undercurrent of Gamergate/alt-right bullshit in nerd media that never went away after it initially became a big mass media thing. There's a whole network of people like Doomcock Overlord who both do ranting "reviews" of media and push fake rumors about civil wars at Disney, Bree Larson being considered too SJW for Marvel, Shang-Chi being an impending failure, etc. to try and control the narrative and eliminate "SJW" influences in their childhood nerd obsessions. A huge part of that is claiming Kathleen Kennedy is hated and responsible for everything like Rey and Rose and is secretly being fired any day now.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hazo posted:

Yup

chitoryu12 posted:

On a rewatch, she definitely starts out way more powerful than Luke and needs basically no training to be where he's at after meeting Yoda. I think that's just because JJ wanted to rush things and the film is very sloppy either way.

Not really? I mean before the moment in the forest duel where she goes on the offensive, the only explicit force thing she does is mind-tricking the stormtrooper and it still takes her multiple tries before it works. And going back to the forest duel, before the slo-mo force moment she’s basically just swinging wildly with a ton of emotion like Finn did.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It takes almost 90 minutes of ANH before Luke is acting like a competent action hero, it's a pretty slow burn compared to Rey.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yup

Not really? I mean before the moment in the forest duel where she goes on the offensive, the only explicit force thing she does is mind-tricking the stormtrooper and it still takes her multiple tries before it works. And going back to the forest duel, before the slo-mo force moment she’s basically just swinging wildly with a ton of emotion like Finn did.

I think Rey seems more powerful just because of the sheer compression of time in the sequel trilogy. The original trilogy took place over something like four years (three between Hope and Empire, one between Empire and Jedi). The sequel trilogy took place over... what? A couple-three months. Last Jedi kicked off maybe a week after Force Awakens and took place over maybe a couple-three days. Rise of Skywalker took place maybe a month or two after that.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It takes almost 90 minutes of ANH before Luke is acting like a competent action hero, it's a pretty slow burn compared to Rey.

Rey lived a very different life than Luke. Luke grew up in a loving family that protected him and was watched over (from a distance) by Obi-wan Kenobi. Rey was apparently having to survive on her own crawling into dangerous wrecks to buy food since she was maybe ten or something.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 14, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hazo posted:

Not the exact same arc. She doesn't even get to be an ace pilot and blow up the new death star/starkiller.

She does get to win her first lightsaber duel against an injured opponent at least, though she doesn't get any clean wins herself for the entire trilogy.

She also does learn things pretty fast because hey force psychometry is OP.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The United States posted:

Not the exact same arc. She doesn't even get to be an ace pilot and blow up the new death star/starkiller.

She expertly flies the clunkiest ship in the galaxy through the skeleton of a Star Destroyer, so there's that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Brawnfire posted:

Didn't they announce a youth game show in the vein of Legends of the Hidden Temple but with a Star Wars theme hosted by Ahmed Best, or is that something I'm remembering from a fever dream?

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Owlbear Camus posted:

Didn't they announce a youth game show in the vein of Legends of the Hidden Temple but with a Star Wars theme hosted by Ahmed Best, or is that something I'm remembering from a fever dream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szVtpo1Nfto

Please keep these in your dreams instead of making them incarnate

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Wow, that seems... forced :grin:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Hazo posted:

She expertly flies the clunkiest ship in the galaxy through the skeleton of a Star Destroyer, so there's that.

And Luke dodges dozens of TIEs and Vader himself while flying through a narrow trench in his first time in an X-Wing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Big Mean Jerk posted:

She flies the Falcon better than anyone else when it's an abandoned junker, she does mind tricks immediately after seeing that the Force can do that, and she can Force Pull a lightsaber to her before the end of that day. Luke can't even do one of those until a year or two after he learns the Force even exists.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And Luke dodges dozens of TIEs and Vader himself while flying through a narrow trench in his first time in an X-Wing.

The trench run is established as something kids on Tatooine with airspeeders do for fun, and he has two squadrons' worth of backup.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

very super excited to relitigate the "the GIRL star war is a mary sue because she's good at stuff" argument in tyool 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Hazo posted:

She definitely doesn't fly it expertly but she does well enough and gets through with luck and pluck, which is how Solo got by. Her psychometry lets her learn a lot of things quickly but it never seems to grant her mastery of anything.

I don't think we've actually seen the Falcon flown expertly except by the Lando & Nien Nunb team up taking out the second death star. Makes sense that the rebellion would put their most qualified pilots on that run.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arc Hammer posted:

Season 2 episode 1 of Mando is my favourite of the bunch, but season 2 episode 7 is hands down the best episode of the whole show.

"To the Empire !"
ZAPPPPP

Goddamn right it is. There's so much good stuff, so much subversion of expectations, making you root for the Empire and then feel bad about it. Another use of the sonic charge. Fennec and Cara sniping fools. It's the episode I've re-watched more than any other.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Kathleen Kennedy has an insane filmography.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

mutata posted:

Kathleen Kennedy has an insane filmography.

no no you don’t get it, she’s just some woman who’s ruining Star Wars

just watch my three hour YouTube essay, it explains everything

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'll happily sacrifice Star Wars for the first Land Before Time movie.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
@mllaneza Thank you for spoilering. :)

Also, you guys do realize there's something between calling for blood and not criticizing at all?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

chitoryu12 posted:

She flies the Falcon better than anyone else when it's an abandoned junker, she does mind tricks immediately after seeing that the Force can do that, and she can Force Pull a lightsaber to her before the end of that day. Luke can't even do one of those until a year or two after he learns the Force even exists.

The trench run is established as something kids on Tatooine with airspeeders do for fun, and he has two squadrons' worth of backup.

You're going to bat for Luke in the the stupid rear end "Luke vs Rey Gary Stu/Mary Sue" argument on the merit of his street cred. Just want to make that clear. Lmao. One was a farmer, another was a survivor. Different instincts likely develop in one situation over the other.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Luke was also the direct descendant of the greatest Star pilot in the galaxy and is inherently powerful in the force from the same guy. Doesn’t even have a lightsaber duel until the end of the second movie after training with Yoda for who knows how long and is getting his rear end whooped by Vader.

Meanwhile you can argue Rey is also (somehow) the descendant of a powerful force user but has no training at all other than surviving as a child but has no trouble defeating a Sith. I’m not saying she’s a bad character cus I actually liked her in TFA but it was rushed and definitely felt like lazy writing. Not saying Luke was perfect either cus Lucas didn’t decide Vader was Luke’s father in ANH but they also didn’t know what the hell they were doing with Rey either.

As my dad told me the other day, there are no Star Wars fans. Just people who don’t like Star Wars and people who hate Star Wars and watch Star Wars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mllaneza posted:

"To the Empire !"
ZAPPPPP

Goddamn right it is. There's so much good stuff, so much subversion of expectations, making you root for the Empire and then feel bad about it. Another use of the sonic charge. Fennec and Cara sniping fools. It's the episode I've re-watched more than any other.

Even before that, the discussion about how little changes in the galaxy regardless of who is in power was a nice touch that helped explain the lovely behavior of the New Republic in the sequel trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://wikiofnerds.com/executive-t...VzlHiM9TUpSQBGs