Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

To get it out of the way, this is propaganda and Photoshop is a thing.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1501797039264473088

That is definitely a picture of a never-opened parachute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Bored As gently caress posted:

Here's a great podcast episode from Friday that is still very relevant from Lawfare Pods (thanks upthreas to whoever recommended them).

https://pca.st/episode/ae9383b4-f918-4c68-8a63-9164bba1eaac

It is fantastic. Some of the key takeaways are:

7. One huge issue is that everyone / a lot of analysts thought Russia's military was this 12 foot giant. There's now a risk of the meta being that Russia is a 4 foot tall paper bear / tiger, and he cautions that that's not the case at all. He says they would be a lot more successful in a defensive war against NATO. There's a big risk in underestimating them in the future due to this boondoggle.

This is by far one of my bigger concerns with all of this.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Your biggest concern is that the Russian military has a home field advantage? No poo poo.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The tactics makes more sense when you see Ukraine as a hostage in a bank robbery gone bad.

I'M THE ONE WITH THE GUN OK?

Organized crime has laundered billions and facilitated illegal services from all sorts of entities who do not need the exposure.

Putin was handed the keys to the world's 2nd superpower at EXACTLY the right moment and has clearly demonstrated what connections he values most, and that is the one that gets him czar.

The analysts can't make sense of poo poo because they're approaching this like they have been a loving spy or partaken in a harder crime than some bumps in college.

Putin was running protection on a oil racket for the state owned gas companies of eastern Europe. BILLIONS have been laundered throughout the world and Putin basically always flashed a gun every time someone gets involved in "their thing.*

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 14, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Yeah, I'm not thinking NATO is about to wage an aggressive war against Russia on Russian territory any time soon.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1502987480827637764

Seizing foreign aircraft, paying foreign debts in monopoly money.
I've zero idea how international finance works at the state level, but it seems like a giant foot gun to maintain one's reserves in countries you know you're going to provoke to extreme antipathy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cugel the Clever posted:

Yeah, I'm not thinking NATO is about to wage an aggressive war against Russia on Russian territory any time soon.

I've zero idea how international finance works at the state level, but it seems like a giant foot gun to maintain one's reserves in countries you know you're going to provoke to extreme antipathy.

they thought we'd just all roll over and let them do it like we always have before.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

LRADIKAL posted:

Your biggest concern is that the Russian military has a home field advantage? No poo poo.

No, that some dipshit heritage foundation moron is going to start getting stupid ideas, like "Russia is totally a pushover now so maybe it's no big deal if we enter a shooting war with them? I mean Ukraine sure showed them, imagine what we could do!"

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Cugel the Clever posted:

The only possible way NATO would willingly enter Russian soil is if there were absolute guarantees that the nuke stockpile could be secured before launch. The only situation I could imagine is a 100% percent military coup/civil war with a clear request for NATO or western assistance. Even then, it would likely take weeks of fighting to convince anyone that intervention would be anything less than suicidal.

In other words. Russia likely will never have to fight another defensive war it doesn't otherwise manufacture against itself.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

No, that some dipshit heritage foundation moron is going to start getting stupid ideas, like "Russia is totally a pushover now so maybe it's no big deal if we enter a shooting war with them? I mean Ukraine sure showed them, imagine what we could do!"

It's not a reason to go in there shooting, but it is a reason to start rethinking how much we really need to spend. If you start with the assumption that NATO isn't going to try to invade Russia then what is the point exactly? Ukraine with a military budget of like $6b, even if they got 10x that in foreign aid, has the Russian military in a stalemate. Is anyone seriously afraid about the fulda gap after this? Across NATO there's probably like a trillion dollars a year going to defense and after the last couple weeks if that doesn't go down it's only more obvious that money is a weapons industry subsidy rather than money practically spent.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What of that do you think is photoshopped? Also it's not clear that the headline is referring to only the photo or other incidents, how many cases, and so forth. Anyways to me that doesn't look like a properly opened parachute. Regardless either they have found cases of ejected pilots having messed up parachutes that didn't work properly and are trying to scare other Russian pilots, or they haven't and are trying to scare Russian pilots. So either way I'm fine with it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's not a reason to go in there shooting, but it is a reason to start rethinking how much we really need to spend. If you start with the assumption that NATO isn't going to try to invade Russia then what is the point exactly? Ukraine with a military budget of like $6b, even if they got 10x that in foreign aid, has the Russian military in a stalemate. Is anyone seriously afraid about the fulda gap after this? Across NATO there's probably like a trillion dollars a year going to defense and after the last couple weeks if that doesn't go down it's only more obvious that money is a weapons industry subsidy rather than money practically spent.

On the other hand, the non-monetary price Ukraine is paying is probably more than anyone would like to bear and they would prefer to be sure that any attempted invasion be seen off much more quickly and decisively. The US could probably see it off quickly enough if they got involved via NATO, but it's a question how much damage could be done to the border countries before the US arrives in force.

That being said I'm not sure even Putin would be wild enough to try and invade an actual NATO member.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
What's the current assessment of the Russian nuclear stockpile? Has it degraded enough to the point that idiots might try to resurrect the early Cold War belief in US survivability?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
NEXTA has been publishing trash-tier rumors and giving not just misleading paraphrases, but straight up lying about what more credible sources wrote and assume people won’t read the source document or watch the source interview. They’ll publish any ole thing if it makes Russia look bad or sounds cool for Ukraine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

NEXTA has been publishing trash-tier rumors and giving not just misleading paraphrases, but straight up lying about what more credible sources wrote and assume people won’t read the source document or watch the source interview. They’ll publish any ole thing if it makes Russia look bad or sounds cool for Ukraine.

Honestly I just wish somebody would upload and translate (even just the titles) of Telegram videos being posted daily. Although I guess that is Rob Lee if you follow him on Twitter.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

GD_American posted:

What's the current assessment of the Russian nuclear stockpile? Has it degraded enough to the point that idiots might try to resurrect the early Cold War belief in US survivability?

TL;DR: No one wants to gently caress around and find out.

It's very hard to shoot down even subsonic cruise missiles when radars are blinded or destroyed from a first strike. They have 2-3 boomers out at any given time, and the Topol-M has had enough launches to prove it works.

The R-36M2 (otherwise known as the SS-18 SATAN) is still a thing and it carries 10x1Mt (the 20Mt variants have "officially" been phased out).

And I'm not even going to get into the Doomsday Torpedoes. :rolleyes:

I'm not very keen on seeing what happens when a ruined nuclear power gets desperate enough to try the "buy this magazine or we'll shoot this dog" strategy.

Just in case that's too obscure a reference:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 14, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here’s the actual scary thought is there anyone in the chain of command that would stop Putin.

Like I fully believe if Trump had decided to go totally loving Loco and launch a nuclear strike in December that the military might refuse to follow through and at the very least delay the crap out of it.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

What's even better is that they get a ton of funding from Belarusian state media and opposition parties. They publish poo poo for both sides, and do absolutely zero corroboration or checking. It's the wild west for reporting on the ground with a lot of local outlets, but; Nexta is The Chive level journalism.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
LMAO I wonder if the final Yankee white clearance secret is anyone who pushes the button is ignored.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Edward Snowden is still quiet? I guess he wouldn’t want to offend his master?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So Edward Snowden is still quiet? I guess he wouldn’t want to offend his master?

I'm honestly surprised he wasn't sent home hogtied with an apple in his mouth to distract the media during the Trump Impeachment proceedings. He can't be that useful anymore.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Bored As gently caress posted:

I'm not the one coming up with the ideas, I was summarizing an expert on the region said on the podcast I linked.

Oh yea I totally wasn't directing any of that at you, just quoting your summary.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

He gave the plausible excuse of "I'm shutting up because I got it so wrong", which also has the neat side effect of keeping him alive

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://youtu.be/QwIknv0eMQA

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Re: Russian failure to degrade ukranian ada net.

This is my lovely uniformed take but:

Ukraine having a ton of soviet style long range and mobile intermediate ADA assets is actually a huge doctrinal problem that the Russian air force is ill trained and equipped to deal with.

Working under the assumption that they've planned and procured to fight NATO which is much less heavily invested in those capabilities; and more reliant on having air supremacy.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021

GD_American posted:

He gave the plausible excuse of "I'm shutting up because I got it so wrong", which also has the neat side effect of keeping him alive

What did he get wrong?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm honestly surprised he wasn't sent home hogtied with an apple in his mouth to distract the media during the Trump Impeachment proceedings. He can't be that useful anymore.

The guy who broke the sound barrier living to 97 led to some interesting hot takes https://mobile.twitter.com/genchuckyeager/status/767208899095191552

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Dick Ripple posted:

What did he get wrong?

Frying pan to fire thing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

That mortar makes me nervous for their fingers

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I would like to believe that Edward Snowden was one of those dudes who was like a secret leftist who saw what the US Gov was doing and decided that actually tankie propaganda was right, but has recently had a come to Jesus moment wrt the Ukraine Invasion.

Also, not commenting on this invasion is probably the thing keeping him from becoming dead, and also having not been relevant to anything in like a decade.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LRADIKAL posted:

I think it's worth mentioning that the most insane warhawk officers I've served with, "we'll be at war with Russia and China simultaneously in 5 years" types, still view that conflict from a defensive standpoint. No one in NATO is giving any consideration to an offensive war in Russia in TYOOL 2022.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dick Ripple posted:

What did he get wrong?

He was pretty big on the Russia isn't going to invade side. But honestly I respect that he just said he was wrong and going to shut up now instead of doubling down.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

He made some tweet saying he was wrong.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I would like to believe that Edward Snowden was one of those dudes who was like a secret leftist who saw what the US Gov was doing and decided that actually tankie propaganda was right, but has recently had a come to Jesus moment wrt the Ukraine Invasion.

Also, not commenting on this invasion is probably the thing keeping him from becoming dead, and also having not been relevant to anything in like a decade.

I know two people who worked with him and claim he was always an arrogant rear end in a top hat "I know better than you" type despite evidence to the contrary. It's possible these opinions were formed after he achieved infamy, but I also don't have any reason to not believe them.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Whistleblowers are almost always assholes, it goes with the territory. You kind of have to be in order to be comfortable with disrupting anything so drastically: it’s guaranteed that apart from any risk to yourself, you’ll be loving things up for a bunch of people you know personally in the process, some of whom wont be at fault but will still be collateral damage. Usually the overall benefits to society outweigh that damage, but people who value social relationships highly tend not to be the ones who blow the whistle and burn the whole thing down.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That looks like a very tangled parachute, deployed ≠ working correctly. :confused:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Just Another Lurker posted:

That looks like a very tangled parachute, deployed ≠ working correctly. :confused:

I think that was :thejoke: indicated by the "definitely"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

Someone really chose this moment to wear their Ahegao hoodie?

Dazzle camouflage

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

E. Double post

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 14, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It is an explosion, it is in Kyiv, and that's a Ukrainian pensioner

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

It is an explosion, it is in Kyiv, and that's a Ukrainian pensioner

E. The tractor is hiding

Judging from the elevation I'm going to say it's being filmed from the tractor.