Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

alex314 posted:

Cyrillic is the superior way of writing, you just write what you hear. No need to figure out what foreign spelling style you need to use. Or if it's English George or French George...

проста пиши то, што ты слушаешь! как лигко, мой друк!

lamenting the loss of lipton of all things is extremely russian

https://twitter.com/SovietSergey/status/1502764505926877190

worst thing about visiting in the past was that all the actually good asian bottled tea brands were nowhere to be found

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sanctions against imports of Lipton iced tea should qualify as social welfare, imo.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This is me months ago when the paper bags that I like to use for my lunch sandwiches were out of stock because the supplier couldn't get material for them. I had to get a lunch box instead, wtf.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

проста пиши то, што ты слушаешь! как лигко, мой друк!

lamenting the loss of lipton of all things is extremely russian

https://twitter.com/SovietSergey/status/1502764505926877190

worst thing about visiting in the past was that all the actually good asian bottled tea brands were nowhere to be found

No Doritos, no McDonald's, no sugar sludge water... Sounds like Russia has it figured out

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/arz...ieniba.a447712/

We're threatening to pull support for Serbia's EU ascension, if it keeps carrying water for Moscow.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Instagram ban in Russia going into force on Monday is going to release a wave of bad vibes previously unseen into collective Russian psyche

https://twitter.com/prayer4ukraine/status/1502437794618171396

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is Tiktok staying put?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Is Tiktok staying put?

No, they restricted the usage in Russia some days ago. I think Russians can no longer upload content, and they can only watch content uploaded from Russia.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

https://www.lsm.lv/raksts/zinas/arz...ieniba.a447712/

We're threatening to pull support for Serbia's EU ascension, if it keeps carrying water for Moscow.
Are they still salty about not getting an ethnicly clean greater Serbia?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, they restricted the usage in Russia some days ago. I think Russians can no longer upload content, and they can only watch content uploaded from Russia.
I wonder how China feels about that

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
The Serbian thing is also a rebuke to Germany, who, in rather tone deaf fashion, timed their support for Serbian accession right after ruling out an accelerated accession process for Ukraine.

Off the top of my head, of course.

Edit: humorously, my floor has three flats, occupied by Latvians, a Serb and an Ukrainian couple respectively.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

I wonder how China feels about that

It looked like TikTok taking initiative, not being ordered to do that.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Nobody in Serbia expects to see their country in the EU in any foreseeable future so this isn't a shock. And why would EU take another problematic semi-democratic nationalist government full of thugs? Just to reduce Russian and Chinese influence in Serbia?

mobby_6kl posted:

Are they still salty about not getting an ethnicly clean greater Serbia?

Yes. Every country has their nationalists, but they mostly accept the borders and care what happens inside them. Serbia, like Russia, likes to eye opportunities on the other side of the border.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ukrainian journalists got into the house of Victor Medvedchuk, Putin's close friend who managed to escape house arrest just before the invasion. So guess what time it is? Horrible post-soviet opulence time!!

https://twitter.com/nakipeloua/status/1503078381373566986

https://www.slidstvo.info/articles/zolotyj-vagon-medvedchuka/

Dude has a loving luxury railway car parked at his (not for long lmao) estate

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0TPbCSAbM

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

fatherboxx posted:

Ukrainian journalists got into the house of Victor Medvedchuk, Putin's close friend who managed to escape house arrest just before the invasion. So guess what time it is? Horrible post-soviet opulence time!!

https://twitter.com/nakipeloua/status/1503078381373566986

https://www.slidstvo.info/articles/zolotyj-vagon-medvedchuka/

Dude has a loving luxury railway car parked at his (not for long lmao) estate

Not gonna lie that's a pretty sweet train car. Pity about the owner.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Latvian phonetics enrage me, because not only we do bunch of annoying sound substitutions, but also you must make sure you have gender-correct name endings. Some examples

Men
Mauno Koivisto? Mauno Koivisto.
Leo Kim? Leo Kims.
Tom Soyer? Toms Sojers.
Thomas Smith? Tomass Smits.
Walter Beardsley Tewksbury-Jefferson? Volters Bīrdslijs Tjūksberijs-Džefersons.

Women
Amaris Kim? Amarisa Kima.
Amanda Trousers? Amanda Trauzersa.
Michelle Obama? Mišele Obama.

Couple
Daenerys Mills-Carlisle? Denerisa Milsa-Kārlaila.
George Mills-Carlisle? Džordžs Milss-Kārlails.

I perfectly understand how and why all of those form, but I still hate reading pretty much anything concerning other countries in Latvian.

Im really curious why Mauno Koivisto of all people got into that list.

Finland used to translate the names or royalty untill 2002. So king Louis is Ludvig, Carl Gustaf is Kaarle Kustaa, George is Yrjö which also happens to mean vomit in colloquial Finnish. But that is no longer the case for new ones, if prince Charles ever becomes king he would stay Charles instead of becoming a cooler Kaarle.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bad_fmr posted:

I wanted to find a male name that goes unchanged, which for foreign names means that all words in it must end with a vowel sound (that's why George gets a different ending, the last sound isn't a vowel). A minor concern was to avoid elongated vowel as wells, but in my experience with Estonian and Finnish names - we tend to write them as is, and so I searched for a list of Finnish presidents.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Interesting. Does the fact that his middle name is Henrik change the way it is written, if all the words have to end in vowel sound?
Also alot of Finnish surnames end with the -nen suffix (Kimi Räikkönen, Jari Litmanen) which would make them end in consonant.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bad_fmr posted:

Interesting. Does the fact that his middle name is Henrik change the way it is written, if all the words have to end in vowel sound?
Also alot of Finnish surnames end with the -nen suffix (Kimi Räikkönen, Jari Litmanen) which would make them end in consonant.

Oh, that doesn’t change all words. The words that end with consonants will get an -s appended to it, so Mauno Henriks Koivisto, Kimi Reikenens, and Jari Litmanens.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

bad_fmr posted:

Finland used to translate the names or royalty untill 2002. So king Louis is Ludvig, Carl Gustaf is Kaarle Kustaa, George is Yrjö which also happens to mean vomit in colloquial Finnish. But that is no longer the case for new ones, if prince Charles ever becomes king he would stay Charles instead of becoming a cooler Kaarle.

Okay, yes, this is infuriating. I was more than a decade out of high school when I realized that Charlemagne is actually the same guy as Kārlis Lielais. And the names of French kings were all over the place depending on when exactly they were translated. Luī, Luijs, Ludviķis.

bad_fmr posted:

Nah. There are 6 possible endings, 3 for masculine and 3 for feminine, with known exceptions for loanwords and some person and place names. Which is weird again, because, for instance, Turku will not be Latvianised, but Malmo will become Malme.

So, Koistinen would become Koistinens or Koistinena, depending on the gender of the person, whereas Kaurismäki will change to Kaurismeki, with the ending unchanged and applicable to any gender for reasons unclear, yet somehow intuitive.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh, that doesn’t change all words. The words that end with consonants will get an -s appended to it, so Mauno Henriks Koivisto, Kimi Reikenens, and Jari Litmanens.

a podcast for cats posted:

So, Koistinen would become Koistinens or Koistinena, depending on the gender of the person, whereas Kaurismäki will change to Kaurismeki, with the ending unchanged and applicable to any gender for reasons unclear, yet somehow intuitive.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for explaining.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nah. There are 6 possible endings, 3 for masculine and 3 for feminine, with known exceptions for loanwords and some person and place names. Which is weird again, because, for instance, Turku will not be Latvianised, but Malmo will become Malme.

Turku stays Turku because Finns say “Turku”. Malmö is Malme because Swedes say “Malme”. The real inconsistency here is Gothenburg being Gēteborga, when it’s pronounced Joteborje - because we probably learned of German version of it first, historically.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Old school handling of foreign names in Czech was to just append -ová to the surname of women, so that it had a recognizable shape that you could use to form different grammar forms. Nowadays we don't do that until we need the suffix to change to carry meaning, and to use different suffixes according to the name.

There are some people trying to stop people from changing suffixes of foreign names, but I think that's wrong because it breaks the grammar, and the argument of "well the name doesn't work like that" is bad, because taken to the logical conclusion, you'd have to e.g. pick right one of 7 different forms of my name to use based on grammatical conceits that DO NOT EVEN EXIST IN ENGLISH.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
A weird thing Lithuanians do with women's last names is that the ending depends on the marital status of the woman. Surnames of married women invariably end with -ienė while unmarried women's names can end with either -aitė, -ytė, -utė, and -iūtė.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to explain whether, why or how it relates to the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouba/kiki_effect, but it seems to do in some way.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A weird thing Lithuanians do with women's last names is that the ending depends on the marital status of the woman. Surnames of married women invariably end with -ienė while unmarried women's names can end with either -aitė, -ytė, -utė, and -iūtė.

I’ve asked this once to a Lithuanian lass I know, and she told me that I’m crazy and there’s no such thing. :v:

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Soiled Meat
Seems to have been made optional in 2003. According to Wikipedia at least: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_name#Feminine_forms

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seems to have been made optional in 2003. According to Wikipedia at least: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuanian_name#Feminine_forms

That would make sense, with the one I spoke to being a fairly cosmopolitan gal in her 20s. Also does explain why I similarly thought of that being the case with Lithuanian surnames.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

In Polish there are masculine and feminine forms of some surnames. If a masculine surname ends in i or y, the feminine form ends in a. However, names that end in consonants don't have male and female forms.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I can't imagine having different surname forms based on marital status, but in Czech every surname has a masculine and a feminine form.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Xarn posted:

Old school handling of foreign names in Czech was to just append -ová to the surname of women, so that it had a recognizable shape that you could use to form different grammar forms. Nowadays we don't do that until we need the suffix to change to carry meaning, and to use different suffixes according to the name.

There are some people trying to stop people from changing suffixes of foreign names, but I think that's wrong because it breaks the grammar, and the argument of "well the name doesn't work like that" is bad, because taken to the logical conclusion, you'd have to e.g. pick right one of 7 different forms of my name to use based on grammatical conceits that DO NOT EVEN EXIST IN ENGLISH.

It's a tough dilemma, on the one hand I don't like adding "ová" to foreign names that technically don't need it, on the other hand using raw English names with no declensions (e.g. "viděl jsi ten nový film s Amy Adams?")is such an insufferably ostentatious dipshit poseur move, id rather slap myself than do it.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
I'll put this here because this might get lost in the clutter of the bigger thread.

Any idea, what's the legal status of Ukrainian citizens "evacuated" (or whatever you call it) from Ukraine to Russia?
There's a thread on reddit where some guy is asking for border crossing advice. It's for his mother-in-law (an Ukrainian citizen), to get from Russia to Estonia. No doubt we would take her in but she would need to get out of Russia first. He asked for illegal border crossing tips but apparently getting caught exiting illegally would mean jail time in Russia so our collective hive mind is recommending him not to risk that.

Being "evacuated" doesn't exactly mean entering Russia legally to begin with.

jonnypeh fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Mar 14, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

jonnypeh posted:

I'll put this here because this might get lost in the clutter of the bigger thread.

Any idea, what's the legal status of Ukrainian citizens "evacuated" (or whatever you call it) from Ukraine to Russia?
There's a thread on reddit where some guy is asking for border crossing advice. It's for his mother-in-law (an Ukrainian citizen), to get from Russia to Estonia. No doubt we would take her in but she would need to get out of Russia first. He asked for illegal border crossing tips but apparently getting caught exiting illegally would mean jail time in Russia so our collective hive mind is recommending him not to risk that.

Being "evacuated" doesn't exactly mean entering Russia legally to begin with.

Only Russian government will be able to tell that, which is part of the reason why Ukrainian government is decrying corridors to Russia as hostage taking. From what I’ve read, people “evacuated” from the proxies were accommodated on “well, if I must” basis. That woman should call Estonia’s Russian embassy or consulate.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

In Polish there are masculine and feminine forms of some surnames. If a masculine surname ends in i or y, the feminine form ends in a. However, names that end in consonants don't have male and female forms.

And then there are last names like mine, ending with „a” which would imply feminine, but it actually doesn’t change between genders. My wife could informally change the „a” to „owa” though, which would make it super folksy/eastern.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Interestingly, at one point there was a form of recognizing the marital status in a woman's surname in Finnish language, and it stemmed from Swedish/German.

Traditionally feminity could be indicated in words describing an occupation or status with a -tar/tär suffix (comes from tytär = daughter). So king is kuningas but queen is kuningatar. Actor is näyttelijä, actress is näyttelijätär. You get the point.

In 1800's the society was transforming in cities and a new kind of social life developed in which the wives of dignitaries insisted on getting recognized by their husbands' titles. This was copied from Swedish because many of them still were Swedes, so Swedish doktorska (wife of doctor) would become tohtorska in Finnish. This was done with every even slightly prestigious title, so army wives would get called kapteeniska or luutnantiska, in university you might meet a professorska and at church a pastorska or rovastinna (the -nna suffix came from German, e.g. der Lehrer - die Lehrerin).

But it didn't end there, what rich people do first the poor people try to follow. The wives of working men couldn't use nice titles, but instead the husband's family name would be used. So the wife of Litmanen would be referred to as Litmaska etc. This practise wasn't ever official but apparently pretty widespread, to the point where Finnish language puritans campaigned against it as unfitting.

Nowadays all of that sounds archaic, women want to be recognized for their own accomplishments and don't even have to take their husband's name, a practise which was codified in 1929 and then reversed in 1985. Before 1920 there was even no law requiring a person to have last name which is a pretty late development in Finnish language anyway, patronyms being the usual way.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

The -ienė comes from the patriarchal family model being reflected in the last names, the ending says that the woman is the wife of a man and -ytė/ūtė signify an unmarried daughter

E.g. the man is born with and keeps his last name Goonys/Gūnys unchanged through his life. His wife after marriage becomes Goonienė (or currently it's common to combine the maiden name and the husband's name over a dash Maidenytė-Goonienė). Their unmarried daughter would be Goonytė until she decides to change it

The progressive thing to do now for women is to add just -ė which hides the marital status. Interestingly historically it was used if the husband died and the woman became a widow

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’ve asked this once to a Lithuanian lass I know, and she told me that I’m crazy and there’s no such thing. :v:

Wtf? 2/3rds of Lithuanian families follow this convention

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Somaen posted:

Wtf? 2/3rds of Lithuanian families follow this convention

Back at the time I was also really surprised, but I wrote it off on the account of my dad’s folk wisdom sometimes being a bit more folk than wisdom.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr. Apollo posted:

And the masculine form is usually adopted when anglicized (Yvonne Strahovski, Emily Ratajkowski), which took me a while to get used to.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

steinrokkan posted:

It's a tough dilemma, on the one hand I don't like adding "ová" to foreign names that technically don't need it, on the other hand using raw English names with no declensions (e.g. "viděl jsi ten nový film s Amy Adams?")is such an insufferably ostentatious dipshit poseur move, id rather slap myself than do it.

Right. I like "Amy Adams přijela do Prahy", but definitely go with "Nový film s Amy Adamsovou" for other cases.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xarn posted:

Right. I like "Amy Adams přijela do Prahy", but definitely go with "Nový film s Amy Adamsovou" for other cases.
Well, the real problem with that one comes with Russian names ending in =ov. Sports commentators have been caling the tennis player "Anna Kournikovová" for years and it never got not grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Just wanted to announce how much I hate the Polish government jumping up to the occassion of wanting to criticize EU for upholding the pre-existing sanctions for out various misdeeds and playing great heroes on the TVP, as though their opinion and words holds much weight.

Also trying to make the private effort to help refugees (and those Ukrainians are right and proper refugees, not like the other ones that froze in the forests) as a government action is just gross. It's true that citizens can react faster than bureacracy, but it's still gross.