Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tiggum posted:

The Witcher TV show is bad.

The writing is on the level of a generic YA novel. The visual effects are lovely. The voice Henry Cavill puts on sounds dumb as gently caress. The action scenes are boring and pointless. The episodes are way too long and the narrative is unnecessarily drawn out, seemingly to fill time. Scenes are often very poorly lit so you can't see anything (probably to disguise how bad it looks).

It's far from the worst thing I've watched. I watched three episodes and I feel like I could watch all the rest or not and it would make absolutely no difference to me. I wouldn't object to seeing more of it, but there's no reason for me ever to seek it out. Nothing about it is offensively bad. It's just completely unremarkable in every way and does nothing to justify its own existence.

this is basically most tv shows, especially in the netflix era, i agree wholeheartedly about the Witcher but what you say could equally apply to Cowboy Bebop or Westworld or or Wandavision - they are all absolutely fine things to kill an hour if you just want to switch your brain off and have something play out in front of you but yeah, totally unremarkable

What I will say is Squid Game managed to be much better than most recent tv shows I've watched, partly due to the foreign mystique, partly due to the premise and also partly because it only had 10 episodes

I don't want to just insult or belittle people who enjoy tv shows but really, is sitting watching 160 episodes of it's always sunny or 200 episodes of the godawful american version of the office really the most entertaining thing you'll do that day? reeeeeeeeally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
oh yeah, the Witcher tv show was really especially medicore, just the kind of tv show I watch and within about 20 minutes of the first episode I know I don't need to see anymore because I'm just not that bored

I'm sure there are people out there who earnestly sat down and watched every episode and really really enjoyed them so well done, gold star, 10/10, well done you made 20 hours of your life pass watching a bunch of actors, super duper, sounds a great way to kill the time between you being born and dying

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I also was neglected because my parents watched too much television.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

this is basically most tv shows, especially in the netflix era, i agree wholeheartedly about the Witcher but what you say could equally apply to Cowboy Bebop or Westworld or or Wandavision - they are all absolutely fine things to kill an hour if you just want to switch your brain off and have something play out in front of you but yeah, totally unremarkable
I haven't seen Cowboy Bebop or Westworld, but I did watch Wandavision because the premise sounded interesting. It was worse than the Witcher because at least the Witcher seems to be achieving the exact level of mediocrity its aiming for. Wandavision seemed to be trying to do something more interesting that either the writers weren't capable of or, more likely, that they weren't allowed to do properly. Like someone pitched a cool idea and the people in charge said "Great! Love it! But we're going to need to make a few changes..."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't want to just insult or belittle people who enjoy tv shows but really, is sitting watching 160 episodes of it's always sunny or 200 episodes of the godawful american version of the office really the most entertaining thing you'll do that day? reeeeeeeeally
I enjoy TV shows. Always Sunny, for example, is quite funny. I would certainly rather watch three episodes of that (20 minutes each) than one episode of the Witcher (1 hour).

I would not sit down and watch 160 episodes of Always Sunny though. That is too long to spend watching television in a single sitting.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I stopped watching always sunny when it really started sucking in season ten, now it's on like 15

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

hawowanlawow posted:

I stopped watching always sunny when it really started sucking in season ten, now it's on like 15

I'm only up to season four.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Tiggum posted:

I'm only up to season four.

the cracks don't start showing until season 8, maybe a couple eps in 7

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
scrubs was the last 22 minute long sitcom i remember enjoying but also i was spending a lot of my time skiving off uni and getting stoned so thats probably part of it

i'm sure i got bored of it way before the 200th episode or whereever they are now though

most tv shows are probably fine if you have no money and lots of free time, i guess if i was unemployed and my games pc broke and all my books were burned in a fire and all i had to do all day was watch brooklyn 99 it'd be better than just going to sleep?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The now-standard streaming TV format of eight to ten hour long movies broken up into eight to ten episode seasons has a remarkable track record for producing absolutely godawful entertainment. The entire point of the binge format is that most of those shows could not hold an audience week to week.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

JollyBoyJohn posted:

oh yeah, the Witcher tv show was really especially medicore, just the kind of tv show I watch and within about 20 minutes of the first episode I know I don't need to see anymore because I'm just not that bored

I'm sure there are people out there who earnestly sat down and watched every episode and really really enjoyed them so well done, gold star, 10/10, well done you made 20 hours of your life pass watching a bunch of actors, super duper, sounds a great way to kill the time between you being born and dying

Yeah, people ought to spend their precious time between now and their death posting mildly heterodox opinions instead

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah, people ought to spend their precious time between now and their death posting mildly heterodox opinions instead

way more fun than whatevers on hbo at 8pm

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

way more fun than whatevers on hbo at 8pm

you're so enlightened and interesting

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Captain Monkey posted:

you're so enlightened and interesting

so is twitch.tv

JollyBoyJohn has a new favorite as of 15:42 on Mar 14, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Powered Descent posted:

Having 10(10100) of anything, let alone humans, is pretty impressive considering there are only 1080 or so particles in the entire universe...

Good catch! He lists the exact figures and calculations but the shorthand is essentially:

- Even at exponential growth rates we have basically forever before our solar system can be considered "cramped"

- Very big number

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

These are fun pages. Takes about three seconds to scroll past. There are quite a few very popular opinions being shared that happen to be at odds with other popular opinions focusing on different aspects of the same problem.

People need to chill and go for a walk or something. Clearly brains are failing to function as the winter weather wanes. (Southern hemisphereists excepted.) At least that's my opinion.

its a gas leak. we all have gas leaks.

https://twitter.com/poisonjr/status/1494800897628590092

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Do you see the news? Have you heard of sports? Do you know what constant blathering about violent games floods every corner everywhere online? Have you kept track of the shootings, muggings, rapes, and car accidents? Do you know that one year ago a large crowd set up gallows to hang US senators and representatives?

If you watch zero of these things on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, then you're a happy exception, but honestly I'd say people are stuffing all of this into their drama-hungry eyes every day... and laughing at most of it, and cheering for more of it.

Our reptilian brains are still active.

lol owned

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I don't want to just insult or belittle people who enjoy tv shows but really, is sitting watching 160 episodes of Babylon 5 really the most entertaining thing you'll do that day? reeeeeeeeally

Yes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Babylon 5 is an anime, because they ran out of mkney and did a bunch of really boring no-action no-budget episodes.

Battlesbridge Galactica is an anime too.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
bablyon 5 and firefly and stargate fans are all very enthusiastic about their tv series that stretch into 300 hour territory, idgi

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

bablyon 5 and firefly and stargate fans are all very enthusiastic about their tv series that stretch into 300 hour territory, idgi

Fanatics are enthusiastic?!?!!?!?!?

I'd probably watch Stargåte if it was on TV, but it isn't.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I like Firefly because it’s only one season long and it’s fairly entertaining through that season. If it had kept going I bet it would have been terrible. Like the movie was.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I like Your Highness, it's funny and a good parody

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Don't get me wrong, I'll do more interesting things like lockpicking, programming, music making, etc.

My life is rich in diversity of activities

But literally nothing helps me actually relax better than watching well written science fiction and not have to deal with like, actual problems, because my job is dealing with actual problems

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I like shows that have actually good main characters doing things earnestly

Pretty hard to find now in the age of post-whatever and deconstructed everything

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I probably would do a lot of exercise, and I used to, but my body 99% of the time feels like my bones are exhausted so going into the real world and experiencing it, isn't too much of an option for me until that is fixed.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

alexandriao posted:

But literally nothing helps me actually relax better than watching well written science fiction and not have to deal with like, actual problems, because my job is dealing with actual problems

I hadn't really thought of these things in those terms before - I guess I've just never saw watching a tv show as being relaxing

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'll do more interesting things like lockpicking, programming, music making, etc.

My life is rich in diversity of activities

basically this

Or since going back to grad school, I'll put tv on in the background while I write and use it to zone out for a moment here and there with vaguely entertaining white noise.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Yeah the relaxing bit is being able to rest your body in a comfortable place, and being able to rest your mind and not think directly about things for a little while -- like I can just follow the events that are happening and emotionally engage with something without having to think about approaches to solving things.

Even if I do start using my brain and thinking about the story, it's still thinking about something and thinking in a way, that isn't related to how I think for work, or for any of the skills I am cultivating, that take actual energy.

Because being able to relax and rest is about recovering your energy levels

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

People die because they lose an hour of sleep is the dumbest poo poo I've seen today. If you are swerving into traffic from lack of sleep an hour don't gonna help you

yeah if someone gets dramatic about daylight savings time i just tune them out. have these people never had an 8 hour jetlag or something?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think we should end springing forward but keep falling back

Every Halloween we gain an hour of precious sleep

We'll have awesome generational divides where parents remember going to school at night and complain that this generation is coddled going to school in the day, then vice versa

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Southland Tales is the greatest movie ever made

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

All my free time is pretty much spent staring at the tv rewatching the same 4 series and 20 movies repeatedly because I don’t like “to adult”

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

oldpainless posted:

All my free time is pretty much spent staring at the tv rewatching the same 4 series and 20 movies repeatedly because I don’t like “to adult”

What are the movies?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gripweed posted:

What are the movies?

2009 Sherlock Holmes
Avengers Infinity War
The Shawshank Redemption
Predator
Hot fuzz
Terminator 2
Gravity
Blade Runner 2049
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
1995 Judge Dredd
2011 Judge Dredd
Clue
Ong Bak 2
Mad Max Fury Road
Jurassic Park
Desperado
For a Few Dollars More
The Cable Guy
Event Horizon

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

There's a truly shameful lack of Wrath of Khan on that list.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

That's not a bad list, but you should add Southland Tales

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

oldpainless posted:

2009 Sherlock Holmes
Avengers Infinity War
The Shawshank Redemption
Predator
Hot fuzz
Terminator 2
Gravity
Blade Runner 2049
Evil Dead 2
Army of Darkness
1995 Judge Dredd
2011 Judge Dredd
Clue
Ong Bak 2
Mad Max Fury Road
Jurassic Park
Desperado
For a Few Dollars More
The Cable Guy
Event Horizon

I can't help but feel this is some weird and subtle trolling, but hosed if I can see the angle.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Dredd (aka 20112 Judge Dredd) is the only movie I can think of that I've seen multiple times as an adult. Fun times.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The insistence that genetic modification of plants and animals is the same as selective breeding does more harm than good. It sounds like pedantic excuses.

We should lean into our shepherding and dominance over the natural order.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People who complain about "doom[whatever]" and "doomers" are going to get us all killed in the near future.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Shut up doomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Manager Hoyden posted:

Shut up doomer

When does having a realistic assessment of things become doom.