Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

SorePotato posted:

Of course they'll overthrow the gargantuan communist party as soon as America starts bombing them, why didn't I think of this before

People responding to foreigners bombing them by overthrowing their leaders and doing what the foreigners want. A tale as old as time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/lookner/status/1503207658244952070

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

yep

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

the musical backing they have over the live video is nice

lo-fi chill out piano beats to build a hospital to

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Orange Devil posted:

People responding to foreigners bombing them by overthrowing their leaders and doing what the foreigners want. A tale as old as time.

and it works every time!

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

the musical backing they have over the live video is nice

lo-fi chill out piano beats to build a hospital to

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Eurasia] lo-fi chill out piano beats to build a hospital to

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Danann posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Eurasia] lo-fi chill out piano beats to build a hospital to

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The funny part is that I can see this being declared propagandistic, because the only thing you need to do to one-up the west is just build something, anything.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Danann posted:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They literally believe that America is the protagonist of reality.

personified by boomers

forrest gumps, one and all

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1503048215888867333?s=20&t=wIPvxaXNH0QwJ3vW_W1JZQ

lmfao

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oy34eEqDBc8

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

Cool takeaway about the war in Afghanistan, kid

Idiot. loving poo poo. Piss lemonade.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Has the US even built a hospital in the last 50 years

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

DiscountDildos posted:

Cool takeaway about the war in Afghanistan, kid

Idiot. loving poo poo. Piss lemonade.

lmao no one tell him where all of afghanistan's money went

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1501839293643649026?s=20

Collapse imminent!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what the gently caress are they doing over there? is it a brand new variant or something?

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

loving stupid kongers man. imagine being over 70 and not getting the vac. dumb as hell. all deaths are a tragedy, but man, I really dont get why they're committing suicide. it's just a shot!

edit: to give more details to the guy above me, it's because for whatever reason, old people are extremely vaccine hesitant in hong kong relative to the rest of the world. afaik, they're the least vaccinated part of the population, which is the opposite of pretty much everywhere else on earth. I think they've been rushing to get vaccinated since this latest outbreak, but it's too little too late. that's why the death rate and hospitalisation rate is really high.

on the other hand, it is getting pretty serious in real china. shenzhen shutting down, parts of shanghai. it's sad man. people are starting to get pretty fed up. I'm of two minds. I appreciate the govt being seemingly the only one in the world to not embrace let it rip, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it was hard for me. My wife has to go to guangzhou in a couple of weeks to interview at the american consulate for her green card (loving stupid policy, why cant we do a video chat, american govt always reminds me that its much worse than chinese), and we're looking at having to take two weeks off from work, just for travelling outside of beijing. Hell, I'm not going with her (can't attend interview anyways) but just cohabiting with someone who left the city, I can't go to work for 2 weeks. I can still go around, but the govt is very strict about this. probably because I work at a school. its the right policy from a rational point of view, but my colleagues/ boss are probably going to be really pissed off at me. that's if she can even go and theres not a real lockdown, which is very possible.

not to get to personal, but the last few days have been pretty hard for me. I havent been home in over 2 years, and everything is so difficult now. flights, quarantine, vaccines, rules. I wish it could all go back to the way it was before. I know that's what's driven the horrible govt response all over the world, but man, we were really blessed pre 2020. will the world ever be like that again? I just want to see my family and friends again. not worry about this loving virus or world economy or war. feel like everyones been passing me by.

I just made a joke with my wife. nobody would've expected that under trump was basically as good as it got in america, and since biden got in it's just been total poo poo. gently caress man, I thought at least he'd make it easier for immigrants, but no.

ok, sorry for rambling.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

what the gently caress are they doing over there? is it a brand new variant or something?

besides what Mirello said about the holes in their vaccination coverage, what we're seeing is the thing we've been predicting for a while now where if the hospitals are jammed up with way more patients than they can ever handle, mortality goes WAY up because now you're getting a lot of people dying from an abject lack of healthcare, as opposed to all the people that the virus just manages to kill even when they get all the medical attention that can be reasonably offered

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
ah, alright, that makes sense. i suppose being one of the densest places on earth doesn't exactly help

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SorePotato posted:

Has the US even built a hospital in the last 50 years

They just grow and grow like a thing that keeps growing until it covers a just massive area

if you live around retirees, they're like destination hospitals

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

besides what Mirello said about the holes in their vaccination coverage, what we're seeing is the thing we've been predicting for a while now where if the hospitals are jammed up with way more patients than they can ever handle, mortality goes WAY up because now you're getting a lot of people dying from an abject lack of healthcare, as opposed to all the people that the virus just manages to kill even when they get all the medical attention that can be reasonably offered

I've only been there like twice and I'm not really knowledgable, but isnt hong kong kinda like a libertarian hell hole? tbh, I feel really bad for shenzhen, theres no chance the breakout there isnt from hongkong in someway, they're practically the same city. in fact, hong kong has been vomiting covid all over china for the last month. the rate of people testing positive in intl over the last month is something like 5x higher than in the 12 months before, because of all the people coming over / fleeing HK.

it really is a pity for china that due to national pride, that place is considered part of our country. the govt is so incompetent. I'll continue to have faith in the chinese authorities that this current outbreak can be stamped out (in mainland). hk hopefully does better soon, but that woman in charge is really awful. I hope Xi replaces her soon.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Allergic to freedom!

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

jeez I’m really hoping that China can squash this outbreak like they did all the others. at least HK seems to have peaked so if they mop up there that’s a lot of pressure off the mainland

it sounds like today and Sunday were lower than Saturday though I’m not sure if China also does the thing where they relax reporting on weekends that the US does

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 15:52 on Mar 14, 2022

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm doing my part!

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

FrancisFukyomama posted:

jeez I’m really hoping that China can squash this outbreak like they did all the others. at least HK seems to have peaked so if they mop up there that’s a lot of pressure off the mainland

it sounds like today and Sunday were lower than Saturday though I’m not sure if China also does the thing where they relax reporting on weekends that the US does

typical MSM ghouls are salivating at the thought of a Chinese outbreak.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GlassEye-Boy posted:

typical MSM ghouls are salivating at the thought of a Chinese outbreak.

ofc that is the case, the west loves for china to falter, but it's a fact, this outbreak is by far the most serious since wuhan. shenzhen is one of the biggest cities in china. xian being locked down was chump change in comparison.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mirello posted:

gently caress man, I thought at least he'd make it easier for immigrants, but no.

lol why would you think this

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Hospital Authority (HK government hospitals basically) are just horrifically lovely and underfunded and lack the capacity to deal with poo poo in the best of times. In good times you'll have wards with 12 beds about 3 feet apart.

Retirement care homes are even worse.

It's miraculously somehow better than American healthcare but also just was never going to be able to deal with a real COVID outbreak.

Intense distrust of the government and fear that you'll be sent to Penny Bay or one of the camps in NT combined with there being no requirement to report home tests means that a lot of people just get sick, tough it out, and probably infect a few more people.

I'm not looking forward to tightening restriction in Shanghai (which feel inevitable at this point) but it's got a lot of the same issues as HK in terms of density and infrastructure bottlenecks.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

is shenzhen still a literal walled off SEZ or whatever, or is it just another place now

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

is shenzhen still a literal walled off SEZ or whatever, or is it just another place now

its just another place now. you can drive past the old sez checkpoints on the highways entering the inner districts but if you didnt know any better you'd think they're just tollbooths that aren't open anymore

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

It's just a city. There's the ditch/river that makes up the HK border and some literal walls on the edge of housing estates or neighborhoods near the border, but that's all to the south

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Mirello posted:

loving stupid kongers man. imagine being over 70 and not getting the vac. dumb as hell. all deaths are a tragedy, but man, I really dont get why they're committing suicide. it's just a shot!

The government has never really encouraged people to get the shot, the most they did was pressure conglomerates to have vaccination lotteries which they most did one time last year and later forgotten about. News media here made a big fuss early on about vaccinations causing deaths in aging obese smokers and causing miscarriages and never course corrected from that.

My gf was pregnant and luckily gave birth back in Nov before hospitals ended up being swamped, even with the stringent Covid restrictions back then at least I was able to be bedside for a portion of the labour process to see my son's birth. The hospital we were at was recently designated COVID only and every cell phone in HK got an emergency alert for the first time just to say that this hospital isn't accepting any other cases. She recently got fully vaccinated around same time I got booster so we're safe but we still have to take precautions over our son.

Most people here maintain that HK gvmt policy, directed by the CCP, have a large part to play in this fifth wave outbreak. Not least because of the unnecessary 21 day quarantine in hotels that led to this cross contamination. But Zero Covid meant hospital spaces were being taken up by asymptomatic cases and overflowed hospitals led to elderly patients being put outside during a cold snap. Even recently a pic was leaked showing how full the morgues were that dead bodies were being laid out inbetween patients at one of the A&E wards.

But hey at least our trains are still running, with reduced services so even more people get bunched up. Dynamic zero is basically living with covid at this point anyway, I'm sure we're trying to get herd immunity before XJP comes over in July.

Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the whole Sinovac vs Pfizer thing too. Sinovac is being marketed as the patriotic drug that even Carrie Lam took, so most the the older population have it despite the lower efficacy. And there have been zero attempts to vaccinate the high risk cases/elderly in care homes, some of them can't even physically move, let alone make an online booking and trip to a vaccination center to get the shot. My gf's 90+ year old grandma got the shot and had covid recently, she seems relatively fine so far.

https://twitter.com/edmondngcm/status/1503324425969561603

Kill All Cops has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Mar 14, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mirello posted:

on the other hand, it is getting pretty serious in real china. shenzhen shutting down, parts of shanghai. it's sad man. people are starting to get pretty fed up. I'm of two minds. I appreciate the govt being seemingly the only one in the world to not embrace let it rip, but I'd be lying if I didn't say it was hard for me. My wife has to go to guangzhou in a couple of weeks to interview at the american consulate for her green card (loving stupid policy, why cant we do a video chat, american govt always reminds me that its much worse than chinese), and we're looking at having to take two weeks off from work, just for travelling outside of beijing. Hell, I'm not going with her (can't attend interview anyways) but just cohabiting with someone who left the city, I can't go to work for 2 weeks. I can still go around, but the govt is very strict about this. probably because I work at a school. its the right policy from a rational point of view, but my colleagues/ boss are probably going to be really pissed off at me. that's if she can even go and theres not a real lockdown, which is very possible.

not to get to personal, but the last few days have been pretty hard for me. I havent been home in over 2 years, and everything is so difficult now. flights, quarantine, vaccines, rules. I wish it could all go back to the way it was before. I know that's what's driven the horrible govt response all over the world, but man, we were really blessed pre 2020. will the world ever be like that again? I just want to see my family and friends again. not worry about this loving virus or world economy or war. feel like everyones been passing me by.

i know what you're saying here, but overall i'm hoping they don't give up on zero covid yet. we just had some friends return from a several month trip to america and they're talking about how great california is, the virus is over, there's nothing to fear etc. i don't know, i've been grateful that outside of the past 2 weeks life here has been pretty normal since early 2020 (barring international travel of course). dropping zero covid is a 1 way trip, there's no going back and i don't think people like my friends i just mentioned are thinking about any of the downsides. like, i've got several family members in the us that are a bit older and immuno-compromised and will likely never be able to leave their homes again because even vaccination won't save them. i will probably never see them again before they die because the risk is too great. i know people back in the US that have had pretty serious medical treatments delayed for months due to hospital overflows, and people that have almost died from covid (luckily nobody in my family has actually died from it yet). it's very easy to think about how i'll likely be fine. my wife and i are generally healthy and young enough. but when dealing with huge numbers, like china's population, you're talking about tens of thousands of deaths every day even with high vaccine uptake.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lmao I've heard these same songs on the 8 hour Ghibli Piano To Relax and Stress Free Beautiful Day video I use for nap time. Amazing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

at home rapid covid tests went on sale online in china today. i don’t think they were allowed previously and it has me a bit worried. the only reason to introduce those is to let people hide their test results

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

i know what you're saying here, but overall i'm hoping they don't give up on zero covid yet. we just had some friends return from a several month trip to america and they're talking about how great california is, the virus is over, there's nothing to fear etc. i don't know, i've been grateful that outside of the past 2 weeks life here has been pretty normal since early 2020 (barring international travel of course). dropping zero covid is a 1 way trip, there's no going back and i don't think people like my friends i just mentioned are thinking about any of the downsides. like, i've got several family members in the us that are a bit older and immuno-compromised and will likely never be able to leave their homes again because even vaccination won't save them. i will probably never see them again before they die because the risk is too great. i know people back in the US that have had pretty serious medical treatments delayed for months due to hospital overflows, and people that have almost died from covid (luckily nobody in my family has actually died from it yet). it's very easy to think about how i'll likely be fine. my wife and i are generally healthy and young enough. but when dealing with huge numbers, like china's population, you're talking about tens of thousands of deaths every day even with high vaccine uptake.

I agree with this. if I wasn't going back to america, I'd hope that it stays like this forever. I love working from home, 2020 was the best year of my adult life in terms of work. barely did anything and had tons of free time to enjoy life. Personally, america seems like a hell hole to me. I'd be fine living in china forever, our life here is pretty good. I just have to make that decision rather than having it forced on me, if that makes sense. one last hurrah back in america/the world then we can settle down here.

my wife and I applied for her green card in november of 2019, rofl. owned! we were never able to have a wedding, or our honeymoon, because of covid. totally owned.

I mean it's true what they say that you think any restriction is ok until it effects you. this loving green card interview is driving me crazy.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

fart simpson posted:

at home rapid covid tests went on sale online in china today. i don’t think they were allowed previously and it has me a bit worried. the only reason to introduce those is to let people hide their test results
china learned capitalism from the west, and how to hide covid cases!

the west has learned nothing from china, unfortunately

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mirello posted:

we were never able to have a wedding, or our honeymoon, because of covid. totally owned.

yeah same. we signed our marriage papers with 1 friend present back in 2020 with the idea of doing everything else more properly later, and well, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

fart simpson posted:

both my RATs were made in Qingdao/Shenzhen and bought in local pharmacies/online stores

HK set up a system to people to self report on these RATs but they can force you to go to a Community Isolation Facility, the newest of which are hastily dressed up shipping containers with a communal bathroom. If you refuse then I think they fine/jail? you. So basically you are incentivized to not report your positive tests. Probably one of the ways they are going back to Zero Covid