Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I went from "Q2 2022" to "after Q2 2022" to "Q3 2022" but the only time I was in the Q2 bracket was before the delay when the Deck was still coming out in December.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CerealKilla420 posted:

Disappointed in the hardware...

Not sure I've seen that? This thread has been pretty good about setting expectations appropriately so nobody thinks they're getting an Ultra-detail Cyberpunk raytracing machine.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've been following the thread since some time ago and I can't remember anyone being disappointed in the hardware.

As far as estimated shipping, I only managed to get through the reservation system on launch after like an hour despite my best efforts, but I've been in Q2 since (just checked). I'm in mainland Europe so there's probably less people total than in NA?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I can imagine someone being confused by the endless "cancel your preorders" memeing.

After a couple of weeks of use I think my only hardware complaint is that I wish it were a tiny bit lighter? It's well balanced and comfortable to hold, but for me long sessions can get a little bit hard on my wrists.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

NRVNQSR posted:

I can imagine someone being confused by the endless "cancel your preorders" memeing.

After a couple of weeks of use I think my only hardware complaint is that I wish it were a tiny bit lighter? It's well balanced and comfortable to hold, but for me long sessions can get a little bit hard on my wrists.

That sounds like potential long-term wrist damage to me, I’m going to cancel my pre-order and I urge everyone else to think of their health and do the same.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I think the only thing people are “disappointed”
in would be the screen. Even that is just wishing they used a better screen but for the price what we got is just fine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This thread has me anxiously checking my Q2 order every once in a while to make sure it's still there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lockback posted:

This thread has me anxiously checking my Q2 order every once in a while to make sure it's still there.

:same:

Also I’m setting myself up for further disappointment by equating Q2 with “next month for sure”

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
At this point it's almost certain that your Q2 will get pushed back to Q4 or even later. It would be more prudent to just cancel your pre-order and get in on the Steamdeck 2.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
My order is in the country and arrived at the parcel centre at 6:15am...

Just get here already, Holy poo poo!

Watching it not move all morning was a pain.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Also I’m setting myself up for further disappointment by equating Q2 with “next month for sure”

Yeah I can't stop myself from hoping that it's Q2 as in the beginning of Q2, when I am rationally aware that Q2 stretches a really long way.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I think the only thing people are “disappointed”
in would be the screen. Even that is just wishing they used a better screen but for the price what we got is just fine.
i'm still waiting on mine but i will say that i am a little.... maybe disappointed isn't the right word but i think it's funny that valve insinuated "this thing can handle pretty much anything you throw at it" and right now the steam deck verified process is like... 40% unsupported lol

i'm sure a decent number of games in that 40% still run but it seems like there's some issue they didn't foresee or maybe thought would be an quicker fix than it's ended up being (the windows codecs thing for example)

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Got my email but it's hanging on the payment confirmation.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just bought my Steam deck, you guys don't have to cancel your pre-orders anymore.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Phew, it went through.

Anyone in the UK get theirs from the previous emails yet?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

people with queue # knowledge are saying right now valve is only shipping out 1k units a week

oofty goofty. oh well congrats to ppl getting theirs

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I got my order confirmation for a 512GB this morning, with a reservation email from four minutes after it went live. So they seem to be processing a bit more than a minute worth of reservations a week.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

i'm still waiting on mine but i will say that i am a little.... maybe disappointed isn't the right word but i think it's funny that valve insinuated "this thing can handle pretty much anything you throw at it" and right now the steam deck verified process is like... 40% unsupported lol

i'm sure a decent number of games in that 40% still run but it seems like there's some issue they didn't foresee or maybe thought would be an quicker fix than it's ended up being (the windows codecs thing for example)

Valve seem to be being extremely conservative with their verification process; the theory is that if a game ever, at any point in a full playthrough, performs poorly on the Deck or crashes/softlocks, it gets an "Unsupported" status. Basically the same level of rigor that has always supposedly been applied to console games, applied to games that most devs have never had a chance to test on real hardware.

Of course this all makes sense; Valve want a console-like experience, and that means when they say "this game works on Deck" then it had better be pretty much flawless. It does seem like they held back a lot of "Unsupported" ratings until after the device started shipping, though, which is pretty scummy.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Polly Toodle posted:

I got my order confirmation for a 512GB this morning, with a reservation email from four minutes after it went live. So they seem to be processing a bit more than a minute worth of reservations a week.

Got mine in 6 minutes after (512GB) and did not get my email today.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I tried playing Borderlands The Pre-Sequel on it but I kept getting a Windows-esque dialogue box citing a Fatal Error and then it would crash out. Supposed to work with some problems, it has the yellow tag in the interface, but I can't get it to work.

The Deck isn't the most comfortable thing to play shooters on anyway. Maybe I'll feel different about that when the cheap thumbstick covers I bought come in and they don't feel so slippery anymore.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

I tried playing Borderlands The Pre-Sequel on it but I kept getting a Windows-esque dialogue box citing a Fatal Error and then it would crash out. Supposed to work with some problems, it has the yellow tag in the interface, but I can't get it to work.

The Deck isn't the most comfortable thing to play shooters on anyway. Maybe I'll feel different about that when the cheap thumbstick covers I bought come in and they don't feel so slippery anymore.

This is something I've kind of avoided with controllers. I know a lot of people say controllers for shooters is fine. But if you are like me and grew up only playing shooters on pc, twin stick fps is just.. all over the place. It is the one genre I've already accepted as something at least for me can never be played on it. I am just too sloppy with the sticks to aim that delicately. On the other hand, I'm expecting that american truck simulator/eurotruck simulator 2 to be a fun experience on it while laying on the couch or in bed.

Hopefully I can adjust enough where civ games with the trackpads work. When the steam controller first came out, it was a struggle for me, but that was launch level madness of things. I have the controller somewhere, but I haven't used it in literal years to try mouse emulation again. But I'm also hopeful civ and humankind both add touchscreen support for the deck and all the touchscreen laptops that already exist. Humankind technically already has touchscreen support from their stadia build. I am unsure and unaware if they ported that back to the pc for devices like the steam deck.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Some people really like gyros for precision aiming in shooters, and the Deck can do that very well.

Not me, though, I can't stand them.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Soul Glo posted:

But on the other hand it saved you from playing Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My reservation went through at 12:01 and I just got the email today. But that was for the 512 model, so there could be a big difference depending on which "line" you are in.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I keep telling myself this and I know it's not happening.

Actually, I'm also disappointed that Stux shut the gently caress up and disappeared off the forums right before launch so people can't rub in Switch emulation working on the Deck pretty decently. Shame.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dramicus posted:

My reservation went through at 12:01 and I just got the email today. But that was for the 512 model, so there could be a big difference depending on which "line" you are in.

There definitely is; I've seen reports of US people with +15m reservation times getting order emails for the 64GB model this week.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

sigher posted:

Actually, I'm also disappointed that Stux shut the gently caress up and disappeared off the forums right before launch so people can't rub in Switch emulation working on the Deck pretty decently. Shame.

i was WONDERING why so many threads felt easier to read

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

After Apex silently enabled Linux EAC support in the last patch and the game got Deck verified, the new patch silently un-enabled it :thunk:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Impermanent posted:

It's been nice and chill recently.

Had anyone tried Yakuza 7 on the deck? If it works well I think that'll be the first one I try. I really don't like playing JRPGs at my desk.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

sigher posted:

it was funny seeing people vehemently deny that the deck could run anything at decent performance lol

i'm stuck in the Q2 Crew group so I gotta wait a while to get my hands on one :negative:

at least by then they should iron out some of the quality control issues and get the software to a better state

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NRVNQSR posted:

There definitely is; I've seen reports of US people with +15m reservation times getting order emails for the 64GB model this week.

Yeah I’m in the US and my order was in within the first 5 min and I’m still q2 with my 512.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yesss, finally got my email. Just paid for my 512GB model.

Now the waiting for it to arrive begins.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I’m in the US and my order was in within the first 5 min and I’m still q2 with my 512.

The two (sometimes different) e-mail times don't necessarily line up with your actual order time. The most accurate way to find out when, exactly, the order was actually processed is to sign into Steam in a browser and view this link. Take the unix timestamp from rtreservetime and chuck it into this converter (unless you want to count the seconds since Jan 1 1970 yourself) and it will tell you, down to the second, when your order went through.

My order was processed 7 min 9 sec after the hour, as an example, and I'm Q1 for US 512GB. The order time in the email says 4 min after, despite actually taking another 3 minutes.

Looks like they are part-way through 6 min xx sec 512GB US orders as of today. About ~15 min after orders went live for 256GB models and ~17 min after orders went live for 64GB models. This is all US data and does not apply to any other regions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
ew yuck I am about 25 minutes on my 256GB. drat job!!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Impermanent posted:

I'm glad this thread isn't miserable anymore.

FZeroRacer posted:

it was funny seeing people vehemently deny that the deck could run anything at decent performance lol

"There's no way it'll be able to run anything, just look at the specs!" Except everyone in the thread was looking at them and saw they were more than capable, Switch was iffy but that's going pretty well and I'm sure the optimization is only going to get better. Super stoked.

Speaking of which, should someone draft up a proper OP and start a new thread since the Deck is released now?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I was 13 minutes into the 256 GB line and I still have no email but am still listed as Q1.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

I know I'm going to throw Mario Kart on there because it's one of the few games that brings me back to the switch. Apparently the Deck can run MK8 at 60fps among a few other titles.

Before anyone gets mad about :filez: I own Mario Kart 8 on both the WiiU and Switch. Nintendo got their cut.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I don't think anyone gives a poo poo, save for mods if even that.

I'd love to dump my whole Switch Library on there but my Switch isn't modded and its fully up to date so I won't get getting it on the Deck that way. lmao

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Bloodplay it again posted:

The most accurate way to find out when, exactly, the order was actually processed is to sign into Steam in a browser and view this link. Take the unix timestamp from rtreservetime and chuck it into this converter

You gave me a small heart attack after clicking that link when I feared that I'd been tricked into cancelling my order.

But, thank you, that was very helpful. I was just before 15 minutes after on the 256 model and am in Q2. So, based on what others are saying, maybe April?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

moosferatu posted:

You gave me a small heart attack after clicking that link when I feared that I'd been tricked into cancelling my order.

This is why I never do anything steam-related in a browser. I always do steam stuff through steam itself. I might be overly paranoid, but I've never had any troubles with steam in the 17 years of having my account.